Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

Solution to NFL's DUI problem

After the tragedy in Dallas, with the death of a Cowboys player in a DUI accident, the media once again starts the discussion of why so many NFL players (18 in 2012) get DUIs and how to prevent it.

The "solution" all the "experts" are suggesting is for each NFL team to provide all players with sober rides home.

But here's the problem with that solution:

I'm a NFL player who just purchased a new Benz. Do I really want to roll out of a club in the backseat of a lincoln town car being driven by some middle aged white guy? Or let everyone see me leave in an all black benz? Easy choice.

So here is my solution:

Models in tricked out cars to pick players up from clubs.

Who wouldn't want to get picked up after the club by a model driving a lambo or bugatti?

Would cost each team about 3 million dollars a year. Well worth it if you ask me.

What if a guy doesn't like a Benz? Let's get him a Jaguar. What if they don't like a Jaguar? Let's get him something else he actually likes.

The teams are already going out of their way, no need to do more. These guys need to get some self control.

Interesting, lowering the DUI problem by raising the rape problem.

not rape if she's being paid...

Pick a sector of the working world - a factory plant, law office, doctor's office, police station, a school, retail company - do these places have any less of a DUI problem than the NFL? Should we be looking into and asking Apple or Wal-Mart to provide taxi service to their inebriated employees just bcoz driving under the influence is a problem? Where does it stop? At some point people, grown adults, have to take responsibility for their own actions - high profile NFL players too.

Colin Cowherd or how everd he spells it- has a radio show-

His Monday rant is to limit beer sales to the fans. Cut it off at halftime.

Is this is solution to the drunk ass players driving around on the weekend, so drunk they can't even be presented to the judge the next morning?

When the hell does it come to the players taking responsibilty for their action?

Pick a sector of the working world - a factory plant, law office, doctor's office, police station, a school, retail company - do these places have any less of a DUI problem than the NFL? Should we be looking into and asking Apple or Wal-Mart to provide taxi service to their inebriated employees just bcoz driving under the influence is a problem? Where does it stop? At some point people, grown adults, have to take responsibility for their own actions - high profile NFL players too.

When an Apple employee gets a DUI does it make national news?

When an Apple employee gets a DUI does it make national news?

No. Does it make it any less of a problem?

No. Does it make it any less of a problem?

It makes it much less of an image problem for Apple. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking the NFL makes decisions out of the goodness of their hearts.

It makes it much less of an image problem for Apple. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking the NFL makes decisions out of the goodness of their hearts.

Do you really think Apple or the NFL is that concerned with image? Do you really think they fear consumers running away because of it? I don't.

Do you really think Apple or the NFL is that concerned with image? Do you really think they fear consumers running away because of it? I don't.

I absolutely do.

I absolutely do.

Both are titans, kings of their industry - the masses would still flock.

First, no suggestion is going to be fail safe.

Princess Di died, in part, due to a drunk driver. In part due to clowns chasing here. (why some of the chased now have guns)

Second,

You have two classes of players.

Those making a boat and those making towards the minimum.

So, the best option for the team is to put in provisions into their contracts.

Perhaps providing a list of approved town car services.

Perhaps having this as part of their compensation, during period of their employment (not 365/24/7)

Third,

Just do what has always been done. Put the owness on the individual to make good decision.

Offer up course talking about not being stupid. Providing a path toward help when needed.

But in the end realizing that we all have free will. (Says so in the constitution, says so in the good book)

Finally,

Accept that you cannot fix stupid. Sometimes I think it is better we don't try.

I realize the OP is being facetious but it's the best idea I've heard.

This is what I don't get. If I'm a head coach, do I want my players getting inebriated two days before a game?? Heck, it's gotta take at least two day to fully recover from something like that.

I realize the OP is being facetious but it's the best idea I've heard.

This is what I don't get. If I'm a head coach, do I want my players getting inebriated two days before a game?? Heck, it's gotta take at least two day to fully recover from something like that.

This is exactly why Clowny Jones and Red Doofus have no clue as to what they are doing. They have created and foster a lackluster, undiciplined, unaccountable culture around here. There were also other Cowboys players at the club Friday night, not just Brent.

Doesn't the NFL already have this program in place? I'm fairly certain that any employee of the NFL can confidentially take advantage of some driving service in the event they are intoxicated. I don't think it matters if you're the starting QB or the third string towel boy.....I believe you just call the phone number 24/7/365 and you get a free ride.

Doesn't the NFL already have this program in place? I'm fairly certain that any employee of the NFL can confidentially take advantage of some driving service in the event they are intoxicated. I don't think it matters if you're the starting QB or the third string towel boy.....I believe you just call the phone number 24/7/365 and you get a free ride.

Yup, its called the Safe Rides program. All teams have em. There's even a number is on the back of their union cards (used to be a 85 fee) In fact, the Cowboys offer this for free, "no questions asked." However, apparently some players don't "trust" the service to stay anonymous which could be used against them by owners. It's not popular. Although, it's used a lot during Super Bowl week. -go figure.

Why does anyone get a DUI? Pride. Stupidity. Privileged. Call a cab.

Had there not been a tragic death, this would have been swept under.

Did Bob Costas have anything to say about alcohol and vehicles being banned in our society?

The absolute only reason the NFL cares about DUIs is its image. Is this a trick question? :dunno:

Oh, and the solution? Suspend the player without pay for... I dunno, 4 games without pay? The NFLPA will never go for it though.

Our government needs to be much more strict on DUI. I know so many people that have multiples and do little to no time. It's a joke. I come from a large Irish catholic family. I bet more than half of my family has had one or more. The rest just don't get caught.

1st offense 1 year no license. If you caught driving on a suspended from DUI 6 months in jail.

2nd DUI 2-3 years.

3rd three strikes your out.

We can lock up all these minor drug users sellers etc. Time to get serious about DUI.

Yup, its called the Safe Rides program. All teams have em. There's even a number is on the back of their union cards (used to be a 85 fee) In fact, the Cowboys offer this for free, "no questions asked." However, apparently some players don't "trust" the service to stay anonymous which could be used against them by owners. It's not popular. Although, it's used a lot during Super Bowl week. -go figure.

I would just make the penalties more severe, and watch how many players start "trusting" that service.

1st DUI - 4 game suspension

2nd DUI - a year

3rd DUI - ban from football

I also agree with windycityguy that the government needs to get stricter as well. I really have zero tolerance or sympathy for those who get behind the wheel and endanger not only themselves, but their passengers and other drivers. If you're going to commit to a night out drinking, you better take 5 focking minutes and figure out a plan to get home. Whether that's a designated driver, or you and your friends setting aside some cash for a cab at the end of the night.

But going out, drinking all night, and then trying to gauge whether you're "good to go" is not an acceptable answer, there's no excuse for it, and it's a mistake that should sting. And if you get stung, and then actually go out and do it again and again, then you're just too god damned stupid to be on the road.