Sign in to follow this  
Lackman

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offseason Thread***

The good thing about the Seattle SeaHags is that their SeaHag nick name can be used to describe their team and their fans

And another swing and a miss of a zinger by Moz_34!! He's still 0-for-a lifetime. :)

SeaHags top offensive player stats for 2013

Russell - 2,600 passing yards 18 TD's 25 INT's

Lynch (12 games played due to suspension) - 700 yards rush. 2 TD's

Harvin - 82 rec. 1,300 total yards 7 total scores

Hags record 5-11 announcing their return to the NFL cellar.

Interesting. Last year, my man Russell posted 26 TDs, 10 INTs. Your predictions imply a pretty significant relapse. Yet this doesn't qualify for one of your Top 5 Bold Predictions? :shocking:

Lynch has played six seasons and is still only 26 years old, so there is a lot of tread left on those tires. He's scored 46 TDs in six years, 23 in the last two years. He's going to drop to just two, even if he only plays 12 games?

I actually think you're overstating what Harvin is going to do in Seattle, it's still a run-heavy offense, with Lynch, Michael, Turbin, Ware and occasionally Wilson ramming the ball down teams' throats, and then going over the top on them when they start cheating up. The threat of Harvin is going to keep that running game humming. They're not going 5-11 and I don't think you really believe that either. :banana:

SeaHags top offensive player stats for 2013

Russell - 2,600 passing yards 18 TD's 25 INT's

Lynch (12 games played due to suspension) - 700 yards rush. 2 TD's

Harvin - 82 rec. 1,300 total yards 7 total scores

Hags record 5-11 announcing their return to the NFL cellar.

This is why no one comes here.

Anyone have any updates on how OTA's are going?

The only thing I've heard so far is that Brady Quinn hasn't looked to good.

:mad: Theirs a shocker!!!

What do you guys think we do with the backup position?

I was sifting through all the garbage out there, and had a thought.

What about Greg McElroy? We could probably get him for a 7th.

You guys think this kid could be decent.

The trolls and haters are usually bad but you guys are really embarrassing yourselves the last few pages.

No sense in responding to anybody in particular. I'm just going to kick back and watch this season play out. A lot of these posts will be revisited in Februrary.

Tim Tebow, Jordan Palmer, or Jamarcus Russell

Anyone have any updates on how OTA's are going?

:mad: Theirs a shocker!!!

I was sifting through all the garbage out there, and had a thought.

What about Greg McElroy? We could probably get him for a 7th.

You guys think this kid could be decent.

A better alternative could emerge after cuts.

I'd be on board with Tebow.

Russell or Palmer, I'd rather just stick with the garbage we have known as Quinn.

The trolls and haters are usually bad but you guys are really embarrassing yourselves the last few pages.

No sense in responding to anybody in particular. I'm just going to kick back and watch this season play out. A lot of these posts will be revisited in Februrary.

So anyone who takes a look in the thread and doesn't agree with the lovefest is a "hater"? Come on, it's a message board and I only see one person who has just been trolling, trying to get a reaction (as of late anyway). Others are just responding with opinions for the most part.

I mearly pointed out that Flahawker calling anyone else an idiot is pretty funny and then the hatred spewed from a couple of your breathren. I guess the truth hurt to get that kind of reaction............... :dunno:

Lynch has played six seasons and is still only 26 years old, so there is a lot of tread left on those tires. He's scored 46 TDs in six years, 23 in the last two years. He's going to drop to just two, even if he only plays 12 games?

Moz's buffoonery aside - if I were a Seahawks fan, I'd want Carroll to keep an eye on the "tread" you mentioned above. Durability has been a question mark with him in the past, and he's gone over 300 touches in each of the last two seasons (nearing 350 last season). Ordinarily I wouldn't think much of that but when you consider how punishing a runner he is (he tends to seek contact, rather than avoid it), I think Carroll would be wise monitor those touches this year. During the Rams' run between 1999-2001, Dick Vermeil seemed to keep an eye on Faulk's touches, never letting him past that 350 touch barrier (and always in the 250-260 carry range, so 80-90 touches were more against chasing linebackers and secondary). And Faulk had a different running style, not seeking the type of contact that Lynch did. The Seahawks will face the 49ers and the Rams twice each....so right there, that's four games against very physical defences (I haven't looked at the rest of the Hawks' schedule). As a Niners fan I feel the same way about Frank Gore, and I'm glad they appear to have 300 touches as their "magic number".

If I were Carroll I might consider a similar strategy because to me, unless an upset occurs, the Seahawks and 49ers are on a collision course to meet a third time, in the NFC Championship game (I suppose the Falcons could throw a wrench into the works). I'd want Lynch at 100%....or as close to that as you can get when you're that deep into the playoffs.

Moz's buffoonery aside - if I were a Seahawks fan, I'd want Carroll to keep an eye on the "tread" you mentioned above. Durability has been a question mark with him in the past, and he's gone over 300 touches in each of the last two seasons (nearing 350 last season). Ordinarily I wouldn't think much of that but when you consider how punishing a runner he is (he tends to seek contact, rather than avoid it), I think Carroll would be wise monitor those touches this year. During the Rams' run between 1999-2001, Dick Vermeil seemed to keep an eye on Faulk's touches, never letting him past that 350 touch barrier (and always in the 250-260 carry range, so 80-90 touches were more against chasing linebackers and secondary). And Faulk had a different running style, not seeking the type of contact that Lynch did. The Seahawks will face the 49ers and the Rams twice each....so right there, that's four games against very physical defences (I haven't looked at the rest of the Hawks' schedule). As a Niners fan I feel the same way about Frank Gore, and I'm glad they appear to have 300 touches as their "magic number".

If I were Carroll I might consider a similar strategy because to me, unless an upset occurs, the Seahawks and 49ers are on a collision course to meet a third time, in the NFC Championship game (I suppose the Falcons could throw a wrench into the works). I'd want Lynch at 100%....or as close to that as you can get when you're that deep into the playoffs.

mostly agree with this. Actually I think that the reason they drafted Michael and Ware was because of this - they now have 4 guys who can handle the ball. Lynch will still be the goal-line back, I think, but I could see him going 260-1250-10 or something in that range, and Michael going 100-425-5, with Turbin and Ware getting a few series here and there to give those other guys a breather. Ware presents as the FB so he'll be on the field a lot (I am speculating that they let go Michael Robinson or keep him one season to groom this kid) but probably will spend most of it plowing holes in defensive lines. Minor quibble because I don't think catching passes out of the backfield are as damaging to a running back as running plays are. Regardless, 80%-90% of his touches are running plays and you're right, he almost goes out of his way to inflict pain on defenders.

one other thing to keep in mind is that Lynch averaged 5.0 yards per carry with an offensive line that had zero continuity last year because of injuries. If everyone were to stay healthy, or at least more healthy than last year, the combo of a young, improving offensive line plus an onslaught of running talent, plus the threat of RW and deep play-action to Harvin, would make the Hawks a really tough team to get a bead on.

I wonder if PC decided his team's identity would be the running game because he really believes in it, in physically dominating, or because he saw the league becoming a pass-first league and if everyone else is trying to defend the pass, it should make it easier to bulldoze teams since they won't have as many personnel who can deal with that.

Ware will not be on the active roster to start the season short of injury. Michael Robinson is the #3 QB by default and one of the leaders on this team, along with being an elite player at his FB position. A team will not carry 2 fullbacks on an active roster. The guy is being asked to learn a new position at the pro level, so this is not going to be a seamless transition. So, Ware is either on the practice squad or develops a mysterious turf toe and goes PUP or gets cut. Ware is not going to be a factor this year.

Also, Lynch is probably going to miss 4 games, so he won't get as many carries anyway.

Carpenter just had another knee surgery the other day. I can't imagine this guy will start the season on the active roster either. The offensive line is a reason for concern.

mostly agree with this. Actually I think that the reason they drafted Michael and Ware was because of this - they now have 4 guys who can handle the ball. Lynch will still be the goal-line back, I think, but I could see him going 260-1250-10 or something in that range, and Michael going 100-425-5, with Turbin and Ware getting a few series here and there to give those other guys a breather. Ware presents as the FB so he'll be on the field a lot (I am speculating that they let go Michael Robinson or keep him one season to groom this kid) but probably will spend most of it plowing holes in defensive lines. Minor quibble because I don't think catching passes out of the backfield are as damaging to a running back as running plays are. Regardless, 80%-90% of his touches are running plays and you're right, he almost goes out of his way to inflict pain on defenders.

one other thing to keep in mind is that Lynch averaged 5.0 yards per carry with an offensive line that had zero continuity last year because of injuries. If everyone were to stay healthy, or at least more healthy than last year, the combo of a young, improving offensive line plus an onslaught of running talent, plus the threat of RW and deep play-action to Harvin, would make the Hawks a really tough team to get a bead on.

I wonder if PC decided his team's identity would be the running game because he really believes in it, in physically dominating, or because he saw the league becoming a pass-first league and if everyone else is trying to defend the pass, it should make it easier to bulldoze teams since they won't have as many personnel who can deal with that.

I agree with the catching passes point, which is what I was alluding to with Faulk's 350 combined touches being less taxing than Lynch's. But Lynch has been a good pass catcher in the past and getting him out in the open field more, where his bruising style could pancake the smaller defenders, could make him even more dangerous and increase his durability at the same time. Now, if Lynch is missing 4 games as phillybear mentioned above, then that would naturally work less touches in. I can't speak to their current O-line and backup RBs, as you guys would know much more about them than me. But is deep play-action to Harvin part of the equation? I thought he was a slot guy, that ran a lot of slants and short routes?

That's an interesting idea, regarding Carroll's possible motivation for the run game. The Seahawks are certainly similar to the Niners in many respects but to me it's more on offence, where both have not only a bulldozing running game but also a mobile, playmaking QB that can create instant offence. Now that defensive coordinators have a full year to game plan against them, it'll be interesting to see how the read option works out for both teams. On the other side of the ball, while both have superlative defences, last year the Niners were excellent against the run but could be had through the air (case in point, the Super Bowl and the first half of the NFC Championship game), whereas the Hawks were as good as it gets against the pass, but more average against the run.

EIther way, and ridiculous fishing trips by certain people aside, I have a real tough time seeing either team below 12-4 (or 11-5 at worst).

But is deep play-action to Harvin part of the equation? I thought he was a slot guy, that ran a lot of slants and short routes?

I think everybody is on the same page about Seattle being very run heavy and adding more rotation. I can easily see 60% or higher of the plays called being runs, despite the weapons in the passing game. Carroll wants to run the ball and play stingy, physical defense, built from the secondary out. Despite the window dressing, that is what this team is at it's core.

Harvin is going to line up all over the field, including a ton in the backfield so he can catch some toss plays, run reverses, and throw to WRs, take some direct snaps. When it comes to route running, he is expected to be a slant/slot guy. Rice and Tate are more proven to the outside, and Baldwin will play inside. The rookie Harper is more of an unknown, but I would expect him to go deeper on routes than Harvin. The one constant is that when Wilson starts to scramble, all of the WRs are excellent at breaking off their routes and creating space for Wilson to find them.

I can't begin to fathom how much promise this team has and how quickly it was assembled. Inconceivable. This is on paper the most talented team in Seattle Seahawk's history. The only question is how exactly will it all go wrong. Because it will all go to Hell somehow, someway.

So anyone who takes a look in the thread and doesn't agree with the lovefest is a "hater"? Come on, it's a message board and I only see one person who has just been trolling, trying to get a reaction (as of late anyway). Others are just responding with opinions for the most part.

I mearly pointed out that Flahawker calling anyone else an idiot is pretty funny and then the hatred spewed from a couple of your breathren. I guess the truth hurt to get that kind of reaction............... :dunno:

The hatred spewed at you was done so for a reason. The fact that you can't figure out why speaks volumes about your IQ.

Harvin is going to line up all over the field, including a ton in the backfield so he can catch some toss plays, run reverses, and throw to WRs, take some direct snaps. When it comes to route running, he is expected to be a slant/slot guy. Rice and Tate are more proven to the outside, and Baldwin will play inside. The rookie Harper is more of an unknown, but I would expect him to go deeper on routes than Harvin. The one constant is that when Wilson starts to scramble, all of the WRs are excellent at breaking off their routes and creating space for Wilson to find them.

This is what I picture Harvin to be as well. And I would imagine Harvin would be extremely dangerous once Wilson is on the run - Harvin is already great at finding the holes in the defence but with Wilson's scrambling drawing linebackers up to make bigger holes....

I can't begin to fathom how much promise this team has and how quickly it was assembled. Inconceivable. This is on paper the most talented team in Seattle Seahawk's history. The only question is how exactly will it all go wrong. Because it will all go to Hell somehow, someway.

Agreed - and to do so without any "can't miss" draft picks, too. I can't say I like it, but there's no denying it.

It'll be interesting to see how the read-option teams fare this year now that defensive coordinators have had a glimpse of them, and have had a full off-season to scheme against them. I'm thinking the Seahawks and 49ers at least have the defenses and "normal" power running games in place to better weather any offensive hiccups the Wilsons or Kaepernicks of the league might encounter.

I'd be on board with Tebow.

Russell or Palmer, I'd rather just stick with the garbage we have known as Quinn.

I would love Tebow but I don't think he is an option. BUT you guys are forgetting about Jerrod Johnson. I think he is a legitimate contender for the backup position.

It'll be interesting to see how the read-option teams fare this year now that defensive coordinators have had a glimpse of them, and have had a full off-season to scheme against them. I'm thinking the Seahawks and 49ers at least have the defenses and "normal" power running games in place to better weather any offensive hiccups the Wilsons or Kaepernicks of the league might encounter.

More teams have announced that they will attempt some read option plays, although whether those teams have the personnel for it is dubious.

Given the problems the Rams defense gave Seahawks and 49ers last year, this is the litmus test for each offense. Which probably isn't hard to figure out. Pressure the QB. Which the Rams can do very well.

I would love Tebow but I don't think he is an option. BUT you guys are forgetting about Jerrod Johnson. I think he is a legitimate contender for the backup position.

Jerrod Johnson is hands down, no doubt about it, less accurate in passing the ball than Tim Tebow. I'm not liking it.

Ware will not be on the active roster to start the season short of injury. Michael Robinson is the #3 QB by default and one of the leaders on this team, along with being an elite player at his FB position. A team will not carry 2 fullbacks on an active roster. The guy is being asked to learn a new position at the pro level, so this is not going to be a seamless transition. So, Ware is either on the practice squad or develops a mysterious turf toe and goes PUP or gets cut. Ware is not going to be a factor this year.

Also, Lynch is probably going to miss 4 games, so he won't get as many carries anyway.

Carpenter just had another knee surgery the other day. I can't imagine this guy will start the season on the active roster either. The offensive line is a reason for concern.

I don't think Ware is getting cut, not with MRob on the wrong side of 30. I realize he's a leader in the locker room but this is the home of Always Compete, isn't it? At worst I think he ends up on practice squad.

My starting OL would consist of Okung, Sweezy/Moffitt, Unger, Moffitt/Sweezy, and Giacomini. I am leaving Carpenter off of it until he can show that he can walk down a carpeted hallway in socks and not get three splinters in his right foot. McQuistan could start at LG and leave Sweezy and Moffitt to fight over RG. Moffitt has been a bit underwhelming, I had high hopes for the guy but this could be a make or break year for him.

As far as QB is concerned I would imagine we'll see another 4-6 guys get shuttled in here through preseason to find someone better than the current alternatives, which is not setting the bar very high.

'Hatred spewed' is the problem. One should be able to take a little razzing that comes w a rivalry without going postal.

As a 9er fan I do expect the division to be competitive. I may not like Pete Carroll but can't say I hate him

'Hatred spewed' is the problem. One should be able to take a little razzing that comes w a rivalry without going postal.

Completely unacceptable.

I hope your children fall into a sinkhole full of rattlesnakes.

Fixed

I mearly pointed out that Flahawker calling anyone else an idiot is pretty funny and then the hatred spewed from a couple of your breathren. I guess the truth hurt to get that kind of reaction...............

Doesn't matter. I'm rolling on such a buzz for this upcoming season, people can hate away. Doesn't really bother me. Like I said, I'll enjoy revisiting these comments after the Super Bowl.

As a 9er fan I do expect the division to be competitive. I may not like Pete Carroll but can't say I hate him

I second Phillybear! And I hate Harbaugh!

I snap my fingers and the little girls start shrieking and gnashing their beaks.

The hatred spewed at you was done so for a reason. The fact that you can't figure out why speaks volumes about your IQ.

:doh:

I was looking for something a little more complex, but I guess the hatred comes from the fact that I root for a team that won the division and went to the super bowl and is going to roll over the Hawks again in 2013.

I must think is simplier terms when dealing with the likes of you............. :sleep:

I snap my fingers and the little girls start shrieking and gnashing their beaks.

:music_guitarred:

I second Phillybear! And I hate Harbaugh!

Of course you do. Losers always hate those who are successful.................... :wave:

:doh:

I was looking for something a little more complex, but I guess the hatred comes from the fact that I root for a team that won the division and went to the super bowl and is going to roll over the Hawks again in 2013.

I must think is simplier terms when dealing with the likes of you............. :sleep:

SF won the division by half a game, and who can forget the last time the two teams met, the historic beat down on national TV of Seattle 42, SF 13.

Weak. Sauce.

Only sissies snap their fingers. Which musical are you auditioning for, queer?

Tarvaris Jackson cut today. I'd take him as a backup to Wilson.

His field vision is limited, and he left angry when he was traded, so you don't know where his head is at.

On the plus side, he is familiar with the offense, there are multiple Minnesota guys on offense that he's played with before, and he played through a really painful njury for nearly an entire season so the guy is tough.

I'd bring him in for a shot.

I don't think Ware is getting cut, not with MRob on the wrong side of 30. I realize he's a leader in the locker room but this is the home of Always Compete, isn't it? At worst I think he ends up on practice squad.

My starting OL would consist of Okung, Sweezy/Moffitt, Unger, Moffitt/Sweezy, and Giacomini. I am leaving Carpenter off of it until he can show that he can walk down a carpeted hallway in socks and not get three splinters in his right foot. McQuistan could start at LG and leave Sweezy and Moffitt to fight over RG. Moffitt has been a bit underwhelming, I had high hopes for the guy but this could be a make or break year for him.

As far as QB is concerned I would imagine we'll see another 4-6 guys get shuttled in here through preseason to find someone better than the current alternatives, which is not setting the bar very high.

You are correct. Nothing wrong with competition. And i can't imagine they would look to resign Robinson in the future. I think his contract is over after this season, so a succession plan makes sense. I just don't think they make the switch this season, so I strongly suspect they will get another year out of the versatile Robinson and try to stash Ware until next season. I know they lost Leon Washington, but brought in Girl's Name. There are only so many RBs you can carry on a roster, unless Ware is spectacular on special teams.

I've never been high on Carpenter and Moffit from the time we drafted them. I just don't see a turnaround happening. Which makes it all the more disappointing. But, you can't hit all your draft picks. It just sucks that they targeted improving the offensive line that offseason, and it's been a flop. Everybody needs to pray that Okung and Unger stay healthy or it all goes to Hell.

More teams have announced that they will attempt some read option plays, although whether those teams have the personnel for it is dubious.

Given the problems the Rams defense gave Seahawks and 49ers last year, this is the litmus test for each offense. Which probably isn't hard to figure out. Pressure the QB. Which the Rams can do very well.

Agreed 100%. What Kaepernick did to the Packers defence in the Divisional Round was the exception and not the norm, thanks in large part to just how rotten the Packer defence is. It'll be interesting to see how the Wilsons, Griffins, and Kaepernicks of the league do this year when they face this added pressure that defensive coordinators are sure to bring.

Agreed 100%. What Kaepernick did to the Packers defence in the Divisional Round was the exception and not the norm, thanks in large part to just how rotten the Packer defence is. It'll be interesting to see how the Wilsons, Griffins, and Kaepernicks of the league do this year when they face this added pressure that defensive coordinators are sure to bring.

It will be a case study of pressure while not breaking assignment. When that edge rusher comes up to the ball, the QB is almost running an option, where he gets to read the path of the defender and has just enough time to decide whether to give the ball to the RB or keep it himself. It's going to take a lot of film work and intelligent decision making by the defenders.

While I think Wilson is the superior passer based on his progression reading and endless occupation of the film room, Kaepernick has the raw ability in that decision making. I'm a big fan of WAC and MWC football. Kaepernick was terrific in handling the ball and making those quick decisions for Nevada; I watched a lot of his games. I was never a big fan of his passing, but Harbaugh and his staff are putting him in situations, I guess. He has a strong arm. I think the key to beating him is to make him think. Instead of reacting, you need to confuse him with scheme and coverage. With Wilson, it's the opposite. You need to pressure him to make him react faster, where he's not as effective and may hold onto the ball longer trying to make a play and will get sacked.

I'm really looking forward to all the NFC West games this year. Even the Cardinals.

Philly you can unbunch your panties and take your medicine now

E factor,

I've tried putting it in simpler terms for these two Sheilas and it is of no use

E factor,

I've tried putting it in simpler terms for these two Sheilas and it is of no use

I know. You tried to help the handicapped, but some people just function better in society without a full understanding of the situation. Allows them to be delusional and get "excited" every season despite 35 years of mostly futility................

Nice gesture on your part though.............