Sign in to follow this  
Lackman

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offseason Thread***

SF won the division by half a game, and who can forget the last time the two teams met, the historic beat down on national TV of Seattle 42, SF 13.

Weak. Sauce.

Way to hang your season on one game. Fact is, you lost in the playoffs to the team that SF beat the next week, so sitting at home watching SF play on. Good practice for 2013 though, so not a total loss............

Way to hang your season on one game. Fact is, you lost in the playoffs to the team that SF beat the next week, so sitting at home watching SF play on. Good practice for 2013 though, so not a total loss............

I bet you're a big hit with girls who have that 'not so fresh' feeling.

Thanks a lot for ruining the playoffs for me! I had the last 3 rounds DVR'd. So what ended up happening the Super Bowl with your mighty Niners? I'm assuming they won since you sound so proud of them.

I bet you're a big hit with girls who have that 'not so fresh' feeling.

He's a bigger hit with the girls that come with a surprising bulge in their panties.

Well, it's been reported by a few media types that Tarvaris Jackson is probably going to sign with Seattle. Clearly, I applaud this move.

Also, it seems to me that the Harvin deal got cheaper. The 7th round pick we acquired from Buffalo for Tarvaris Jackson was sent to Minnesota in the Harvin trade (1st, 3rd, 7th). By recouping Jackson, it's like getting that 7th round pick for free, and that free pick was sent to Minnesota. So, Harvin actually only cost in real value a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

Plus I like Jackson more than Quinn. Familiarity with the offense, especially Rice, Harvin, and coordinator Bevell. Much, much more mobile. Quinn has looked brutal throwing the ball in the minicamps. Still, Jackson can't read his progressions. He will look at one target, and then tuck and run. Eh, he's the most pleasant smelling garbage out there right now. See ya later, Jerrod Johnson.

Well, it's been reported by a few media types that Tarvaris Jackson is probably going to sign with Seattle. Clearly, I applaud this move.

Also, it seems to me that the Harvin deal got cheaper. The 7th round pick we acquired from Buffalo for Tarvaris Jackson was sent to Minnesota in the Harvin trade (1st, 3rd, 7th). By recouping Jackson, it's like getting that 7th round pick for free, and that free pick was sent to Minnesota. So, Harvin actually only cost in real value a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

Plus I like Jackson more than Quinn. Familiarity with the offense, especially Rice, Harvin, and coordinator Bevell. Much, much more mobile. Quinn has looked brutal throwing the ball in the minicamps. Still, Jackson can't read his progressions. He will look at one target, and then tuck and run. Eh, he's the most pleasant smelling garbage out there right now. See ya later, Jerrod Johnson.

I agree. TJax over Quinn and it's not even close.

He's a bigger hit with the girls that come with a surprising bulge in their panties.

You've obviously seen pictures of his mother.

I'll echo what Philly and Hawker said.

Tjax, is a great move considering we ignored the backup QB position. It was the 1 thing I didn't agree with this whole offseason by the front office, but they might of just lucked out here.

I have no issues with Tjax being a being a backup until someday something else better comes along. as long as he has no hard feelings about how he left. Good move.

Plus we know what Wilson and Tjax bring to the table also. So we can let Quinn get the sh!t kicked out of him during the preseason, then give him his walking papers.

I say every game we let Wilson go first quarter.

Tjax second quarter.

Then Quinn the whole second half.

I could care less about a preseason record. I want a healthy team, especially my starting qb, and his backup for game 1 of the regular season.

• Like 1

Tarvaris Jackson officially signed a one year deal.

That's the best you retards got?

Just sad..................... :doh:

Not everyone can bring the high-level insightful comments and witty comebacks like you do, e-tard. You're just on another level. So amazing.

I see what you did there. After dozens of posts of retard witticisms tossed in the direction of you and your ilk, you've come up with the devastatingly clever strategy of "Nuh uh, you're the retard."

Well done.

• Like 1

E factor

Never argue w a taxidermist's handiwork, the response is always the same, even with PEDS

E factor

Never argue w a taxidermist's handiwork, the response is always the same, even with PEDS

Yeah, it's funny but sadly pathetic at the same time. These boys have the personality of mops with the IQs to match...........

Love Philly/Fawghawkers idea of witticisms............... :doh:

Yeah, it's funny but sadly pathetic at the same time. These boys have the personality of mops with the IQs to match...........

Love Philly/Fawghawkers idea of witticisms............... :doh:

Gotta love it. Two whiner homos complaining about Seahawk fans in a Seahawk thread. Can't make this type of idiocy up.

See ya later, Jerrod Johnson.

Jerrod Johnson has been released.

Knuck ... He was laughing about you just like your denials about the PEDS

Gotta love it. Two whiner homos complaining about Seahawk fans in a Seahawk thread. Can't make this type of idiocy up.

To be fair, there are only 3 niner fans on this bored. Can't blame them for bringing their "call everyone a retard" routine to a thread of a team that actually has fans. Take pity on them.

We've needed a new team to beat up on when the Rams moved out of California. Thank you.

And for the two knucks.

Kidding aside this is the NFC rivalry to watch this season

Dude, this is childs play in your world of utter idicoy. Christ, you act like the Hawks have ever done anything. It can't get any more idiotic than that.................... :music_guitarred:

Dude, this is childs play in your world of utter idicoy. Christ, you act like the Hawks have ever done anything. It can't get any more idiotic than that.................... :music_guitarred:

"Idicoy?" Can't script that kind of stuff :)

Forget the Seahawks. It's an exciting time to be a Patriots fan.

First, Tom Brady spends the off season refusing to come out of the closet. (I personally thought this was the year he came clean. The guys stedfast)

Then, Gronk starts DDTing people and dates strippers.

Wes Welker leaves the team for the next best team in the AFC. (Next best team no longer. The best now!)

The Pats then sign Tim Tebow.

Bob Kraft p!sses off the Russians.

Gronk has yet another surgery.(This time to remove the gerbal from his a$$).

Now Hernandez offs somebody.

Greatest offseason ever!!!

• Like 1

Forget the Seahawks. It's an exciting time to be a Patriots fan.

First, Tom Brady spends the off season refusing to come out of the closet. (I personally thought this was the year he came clean. The guys stedfast)

Then, Gronk starts DDTing people and dates strippers.

Wes Welker leaves the team for the next best team in the AFC. (Next best team no longer. The best now!)

The Pats then sign Tim Tebow.

Bob Kraft p!sses off the Russians.

Gronk has yet another surgery.(This time to remove the gerbal from his a$$).

Now Hernandez offs somebody.

Greatest offseason ever!!!

Kopy, I'm nominating this as post of the year! Awesome!

Kopy, I'm nominating this as post of the year! Awesome!

:cheers:

I can't wait to see what happens next week! I'm like a junkie on pins and needles here!!

We're talkin must see TV here!!!

Marshawn Lynch's DUI court hearing was pushed back to December, at earliest. The consensus is the hearing won't affect Lynch for this season at all. He will not get suspended this year.

Marshawn Lynch's DUI court hearing was pushed back to December, at earliest. The consensus is the hearing won't affect Lynch for this season at all. He will not get suspended this year.

:thumbsup:

Sure, I b!tch and moan on draft day, and at times call players that we select as busts. :cry:

But I am not an idiot. For this reason anyway. I was reading some recent quotes attributed to Carroll that he is officially moving Bruce Irvin to OLB to compete with Malcolm Smith for playing time. So, here are my random thoughts:

Told you so.

Irvin got some sacks last year, mostly early, most of them in garbage time, and looked good for one half of one game, the first half vs Green Bay. Other than that, he was invisible. As we said on draft day, what the fock? He has speed. We all know that. But he could not then nor now play against the run, had little technique, and could not get off the initial contact at the line of scrimmage. Speed rusher.

Realizing the lack of progress with this guy, the coaches are doing the only possible thing other than cut him, move him into open space to take advantage of his only positive, the speed. An outside rusher coming in somewhat clean to get after the QB can work. But ONLY on passing downs. Otherwise, you will have a RB running over him and picking up huge yardage. Or Irvin will get pancaked by a blocker. I don't honestly know if he can tackle, as I saw so little evidence of it one way or the other.

Of course, this is another reason why we did not draft a LB early this year in the draft. The plan to move Irvin to LB. And I still insist that we will be playing plenty of Big Nickle with Winfield on the field instead of a 3rd LB. Malcolm Smith is the one getting a raw deal here, as he has been somewhat capable at LB. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are safe to get plenty of field time. And let's not forget that the front office went out and grabbed passing rushing linemen in free agency and then drafted more defensive line help in the draft, apparently with the Irvin move in mind.

Earl Thomas and Russell Okung were no brainers. And we celebrated accordingly as they were picked. Now, we have James Carpenter and Bruce Irvin selected in the first rounds and both have been moved to new positions by year #2. Calls into question this regime's judgement with early draft picks. And I said early, as I am impressed with the later round pick ungodly success rate. The consensus was those two specific picks were reaches. It just leads to such gnashing of teeth and anguish to folks that claimed to know better, and may have unfortunately been right.

Not good.

Sure, I b!tch and moan on draft day, and at times call players that we select as busts. :cry:

But I am not an idiot. For this reason anyway. I was reading some recent quotes attributed to Carroll that he is officially moving Bruce Irvin to OLB to compete with Malcolm Smith for playing time. So, here are my random thoughts:

Told you so.

Irvin got some sacks last year, mostly early, most of them in garbage time, and looked good for one half of one game, the first half vs Green Bay. Other than that, he was invisible. As we said on draft day, what the fock? He has speed. We all know that. But he could not then nor now play against the run, had little technique, and could not get off the initial contact at the line of scrimmage. Speed rusher.

Realizing the lack of progress with this guy, the coaches are doing the only possible thing other than cut him, move him into open space to take advantage of his only positive, the speed. An outside rusher coming in somewhat clean to get after the QB can work. But ONLY on passing downs. Otherwise, you will have a RB running over him and picking up huge yardage. Or Irvin will get pancaked by a blocker. I don't honestly know if he can tackle, as I saw so little evidence of it one way or the other.

Of course, this is another reason why we did not draft a LB early this year in the draft. The plan to move Irvin to LB. And I still insist that we will be playing plenty of Big Nickle with Winfield on the field instead of a 3rd LB. Malcolm Smith is the one getting a raw deal here, as he has been somewhat capable at LB. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are safe to get plenty of field time. And let's not forget that the front office went out and grabbed passing rushing linemen in free agency and then drafted more defensive line help in the draft, apparently with the Irvin move in mind.

Earl Thomas and Russell Okung were no brainers. And we celebrated accordingly as they were picked. Now, we have James Carpenter and Bruce Irvin selected in the first rounds and both have been moved to new positions by year #2. Calls into question this regime's judgement with early draft picks. And I said early, as I am impressed with the later round pick ungodly success rate. The consensus was those two specific picks were reaches. It just leads to such gnashing of teeth and anguish to folks that claimed to know better, and may have unfortunately been right.

Not good.

Meh, much ado about nothing IMO. Irvin was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, and whether he does that from a LEO spot or LB spot doesn't matter. He will get his snaps, rush the passer and put up 8-12 sacks. James Capenter, like Okung earlier, has been hamprered by injuries. Now we can argue all we want about his postion change but if you watched him at guard early last season the dude was a road grader. Now he has to stay healthy, and I think he will, but if he stays healthy, he along with Okung and Unger will form an awesome left side to the OL.

Meh, much ado about nothing IMO. Irvin was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, and whether he does that from a LEO spot or LB spot doesn't matter. He will get his snaps, rush the passer and put up 8-12 sacks. James Capenter, like Okung earlier, has been hamprered by injuries. Now we can argue all we want about his postion change but if you watched him at guard early last season the dude was a road grader. Now he has to stay healthy, and I think he will, but if he stays healthy, he along with Okung and Unger will form an awesome left side to the OL.

If you were to take a LB in the first round, he has to be a 100% stud. That is why LBs rarely get taken in the first round anymore. And Irvin won't get 8-12 sacks in any two seasons combined the rest of his NFL career. As we know all too well, with Aaron Curry. Kuechley was coveted last year, went early, and turned out to be a stud. Irvin as a LB prospect changing positions would not have gone higher than at the most optimistic value 3rd to 4th round range, based purely on the metric of speed. And the same goes with Carpenter. As a right tackle, you might justify a late 1st round pick for a top notch prospect for that position. As a left guard, including a position change, Carpenter would again be a 3rd to 4th round value. Which would happen to be where his draft projected value that year. Remember, we have taken other position change players in the past two drafts, in the 6th and 7th rounds. Not 1st round.

I realize we have compiled a very talented roster. But this roster could have been so much more valuable with reasonable picks rather than Carpenter and Irvin. Maybe enough value to push last year's team all the way to the Superbowl. Just a little nudge may have done it.

If you were to take a LB in the first round, he has to be a 100% stud. That is why LBs rarely get taken in the first round anymore. And Irvin won't get 8-12 sacks in any two seasons combined the rest of his NFL career. As we know all too well, with Aaron Curry. Kuechley was coveted last year, went early, and turned out to be a stud. Irvin as a LB prospect changing positions would not have gone higher than at the most optimistic value 3rd to 4th round range, based purely on the metric of speed. And the same goes with Carpenter. As a right tackle, you might justify a late 1st round pick for a top notch prospect for that position. As a left guard, including a position change, Carpenter would again be a 3rd to 4th round value. Which would happen to be where his draft projected value that year. Remember, we have taken other position change players in the past two drafts, in the 6th and 7th rounds. Not 1st round.

I realize we have compiled a very talented roster. But this roster could have been so much more valuable with reasonable picks rather than Carpenter and Irvin. Maybe enough value to push last year's team all the way to the Superbowl. Just a little nudge may have done it.

I'll comment on this at the end of the season. Too early to be negative.

I'll comment on this at the end of the season. Too early to be negative.

Eh, that's me being me.

I demand excellence in all facets. High expectations yield higher results. Or some other phrase of random new age nonsense.

Eh, that's me being me.

I demand excellence in all facets. High expectations yield higher results. Or some other phrase of random new age nonsense.

Check this out. I think it's an interesting take.

The Bruce Irvin experiment at outside linebacker has been the subject of speculation for the past few months and whether it's technically news or not, Eric Williams seemed to officially call it a 'position change' in his column on the Seahawks' defensive line (as pointed out by Jon) this morning. This started some cool discussions in our comments section and on Twitter, with two common player type comparisons being made - Denver's Von Miller and Green Bay's Clay Matthews.

As Thomas wrote this morning, this Irvin move might "mean Seattle plays a lot of 5-2. The Packers played a ton of 5-2 with Clay Matthews III and I think Pete envisions Irvin in that CM3 role in it." He continued, "The differences between the 5-2 and 3-4 are almost academical and can be hard to peg down per team, but in general 5-2 teams put both OLBs on the line and drop them back with less frequency than 3-4 teams, and/or have a dedicated pass-rushing OLB and drop-back OLB (though that then becomes closer to 4-3). I think it might be worthwhile to go back and see how the Pack did it with Matthews since I would not be surprised if Pete has tracked Matthews' NFL career closely and could see similar things from Irvin."

Shortly after drafting Bruce Irvin, Pete Carroll noted - "He's got extraordinary speed, and tremendous flexibility, and great instincts, and a great motor. He has all of the things that make up a great pass rusher, he has length, he's 6'3 with long arms, incredibly getoff is something that we cherish playing here in our stadium. (...) This is the kind of guy that really puts the fear in the offensive tackles. They've got to get off with him because he's so fast. (...) This is a rare chance to get a guy like this, you just don't see many of them."

When asked specifically about Irvin's ability to play as a coverage linebacker, Carroll had some interesting thoughts. "In our scheme, he will drop some. He has not been a feature dropper, has not played linebacker...once they saw him rush in junior college, then saw him rush in college, they don't want him dropping him much. So he's a guy you want to rush. But in our scheme he does drop some. Let me give you an example, at SC we played with Clay Matthews at the exact same position. Clay was a primary rusher but he was a dropped as well at times, a situational dropper, and that's exactly the role we'll put him in here."

This was over a year ago, so the thought of Irvin playing more of a hybrid role is obviously not a new thing.

At that time, John Schneider added, "He's rare. This guy comes off the ball like Dwight Freeney and Von Miller and Jevon Kearse. It's like that." Both Carroll and Schneider noted then that he's run a faster 40 than a 4.4. Carroll called him a "carbon copy" of Von Miller: "We almost could do an overlay from his college rushes. We didn't compare that directly, we went back to him back in college, because they're almost exactly the same size, same everything. What Von has done is he played more linebacker than our guy."

Asked to explain these comparisons more, Schneider answers "We were asked about what his get-off is like. That's what his get-off is like. Now the full compliment of a football player, he has to prove that." With Carroll adding "Check out Von Miller speed, check out Jevon Kearse speed, this is where he is, that realm of get-off. There's very few players who have come along like that." John finished with "What he does after he jumps off the ball is up to him." Carroll and Schneider both agree the Seahawks do value him highly because of the Leo spot, but Carroll also adds there's "not a coach in the league that didn't look at this kid and realize he's a unique, special talent".

Again, interesting in the fact that both Schneider and Carroll seem to hammer on the idea that Irvin would not be an ordinary defensive end.

As Cutler put it this morning, "Just the fact that Carroll views Irvin as a similar athlete to Clay Matthews/Von Miller is encouraging because it means that there's a ton of stuff they can borrow from Denver and Green Bay. I'd liken it to Carroll watching RGIII tear up the league with the read option and saying, "Our guy can do that."

I love that. As Cutler pointed out - there's a good article on the 5-2 at Mile High Report (MHR University: The 5-2 Defense - Mile High Report), breaking down how Von Miller was used in their defense.

Anyway, because this was a topic of discussion this morning, I thought it'd be worth pointing to Doug Farrar's segment on the Ian Furness show this afternoon because Farrar geeked out explaining some of the ways that Irvin may be used. It's worth a listen.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/7/10/4511942/more-on-bruce-irvin-in-that-von-miller-clay-matthews-hybrid-role

Check this out. I think it's an interesting take.

I support the idea of putting Irvin in space, but I know that he sucks in run support and I need to see him tackle in open space to prove he can do it, and whether he can drop back and actually cover a player in a pattern.

We can toss around names of other players as comparisons, but until Irvin shows he can do more than run fast, he is a situational player that won't see much action. Those other guys do a number of things well. Irvin was anointed as Clemons successor after being picked. Now, he's competing with Malcolm Smith for playing time. I don't think this was the original plan, but we are onto Plan B. Which is fine, if it works out. The same with Carpenter, I hope Plan B works.

The article talks about a 5-2 defense, which I think is the exact opposite of what is going to happen. A 2-5-4 is more likely, with DEs and LBs and Winfield/Chancellor all floating around. The defense has scary flexibility with a guarantee that it won't look like a traditional defense. But Irvin is going to miss 4 weeks of games/practice and learn a new position and needs to show improvement of any kind for me to stop kicking him. I think Quinn looked at the film from last season and saw that Irvin can't play at the line. So, Plan B.

Man, this season can't start fast enough. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Current valuations on Seattle end of season Stats.

Wilson - 2600 yards passing 16 TD's 21 INT's 520 yards rush 2 TD's

Lynch - 1080 yds rushing 6 TD's

Harvin 65 rec. 850 yds Rec. 170 yds rush 7 TD's

Record 9-7 missing the playoffs.