Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Pussification of America example #98754390

Say, why is there crime-scene tape wrapped around a playground attraction?

posted at 5:51 pm on January 31, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Better yet, why will Fairfax County, Virginia spend $135,000 to trash a $35,000 gift from the PTA? Rest assured … it's for the children:

The playground structure is brand new and a child's dream: Soaring metal beams and a tantalizing spiderweb of climbing net. It sits outside Stratford Landing Elementary School, but all the students can do is stare at it from afar.

Behind the yellow caution tape fettering the apparatus is what parents describe as reams of bureaucratic red tape threatening the equipment, which was built with $35,000 from countless Parent Teacher Association silent auctions and bake sales.

Although parents worked with the Fairfax County Public Schools facilities department, purchased the equipment, hired a contractor and had the playground ready for recess, the school system suddenly deemed the play equipment too dangerous. Since Nov. 30 it has been off-limits, say parents.

Never mind that the same equipment is installed at more than 1,200 parks and schools across the country, including a public park in Fairfax County.

The school district is taking responsibility for the "miscommunication" that led parents to believe that they could determine for themselves what was safe for their children. Fairfax County says they will fund a replacement for the same climbing system they have installed elswhere, but that will cost taxpayers an extra $135,000 to replace a $35,000 playground attraction:

The facilities department says the new equipment must go. But to make amends, the county is offering to revamp the Stratford Landing playground, using about $135,000 from the county's coffers.

Why is it costing a hundred thousand dollars more to replace the structure? Maybe the county would be better off letting the PTA handle the cash instead of the county.

By the way, this is the scary death trap that has FCPS shrieking:

(see link for pic)

The dark, foreboding sky in the background is a nice touch, no?

My link

:thumbsdown:

The Government knows better than you on how to deal with every aspect of your life. The Government is also far better at handling your money.

I know we've come a long way

We're changing day to day

But tell me, where do the children play?

- Cat Stevens

The school district is taking responsibility for the "miscommunication" that led parents to believe that they could determine for themselves what was safe for their children.

Are you focking kidding me???

And what happens when some kid falls off of that and breaks his arm and then the parents sue the county for putting their child's life in danger? It's more about the fact that if you get hurt, you can sue anyone for anything and more often than not win a helluva lot more than it's going to cost to get rid of it. They have to protect themselves against the ambulance chasers. That's the real problem.

- Cat Stevens

What type of drink is that on the label of?

- Cat Stevens

Quoting terrorists now?

They have to protect themselves against the ambulance chasers. That's the real problem.

we agree on something. they should apply this type of thinking to a healthcare reform of some sort.

I haven't seen him quote Obama. :unsure:

Which terrorist watch list is Obama on? When did Obama call for the death of Salmon Rushdie?

And what happens when some kid falls off of that and breaks his arm and then the parents sue the county for putting their child's life in danger? It's more about the fact that if you get hurt, you can sue anyone for anything and more often than not win a helluva lot more than it's going to cost to get rid of it. They have to protect themselves against the ambulance chasers. That's the real problem.

On a related note:

A $5 million battle over frozen pizza could heat up a California courtroom this week when a woman takes on Nestle over the company's pizza brands, claiming they are a danger to public health.

Nestle's DiGiorno, Stouffer's and California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas are under fire in a new class-action lawsuit brought by Katie Simpson of San Diego. In the lawsuit, filed Jan. 21, she argues that the company is "placing profits over public health" by not removing trans fat from its pizzas.

we agree on something. they should apply this type of thinking to a healthcare reform of some sort.

Amen. :thumbsup: