Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

*** 2013 NFL Draft - Discussion Thread ***

People panned the Julio Jones trade immediately after it went down, but it's worked out alright for ATL. That's not to say Patterson is the same caliber receiver Jones is, but fans automatically fixate on the quantity of picks involved instead of the quality. If the Vikings had Patterson well ahead of the other receivers remaining, it makes sense to be aggressive to go and get him. He wasn't going to be there at 52.

And while the Vikes aren't in the same SB or bust mindset that ATL, GB, SEA, SF are in, they do have enough pieces in place to make a strong playoff run, where if you get in and catch fire in January, you could be playing for a title. obviously Ponder isn't a good QB, but you have to equip him with some weapons. Otherwise you're just throwing in the towel and you might as well start blowing up the team and start rebuilding.

I like what the Vikes did. Time will tell if it was a good draft or not. But at first look, they added some quality pieces which also addressed needs on both sides of the ball.

People panned the Julio Jones trade immediately after it went down, but it's worked out alright for ATL. That's not to say Patterson is the same caliber receiver Jones is, but fans automatically fixate on the quantity of picks involved instead of the quality. If the Vikings had Patterson well ahead of the other receivers remaining, it makes sense to be aggressive to go and get him. He wasn't going to be there at 52.

And while the Vikes aren't in the same SB or bust mindset that ATL, GB, SEA, SF are in, they do have enough pieces in place to make a strong playoff run, where if you get in and catch fire in January, you could be playing for a title. obviously Ponder isn't a good QB, but you have to equip him with some weapons. Otherwise you're just throwing in the towel and you might as well start blowing up the team and start rebuilding.

I like what the Vikes did. Time will tell if it was a good draft or not. But at first look, they added some quality pieces which also addressed needs on both sides of the ball.

The Vikes added three talented players that fit their teams needs, well done. The reason people question trading up for Patterson is mainly the cost of doing so, versus the depth at WR in this draft. They could have gotten a very good prospect WR at 52, but it wouldn't have been Patterson. They must believe he is worth it, so best of luck to them. In a division that has Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall, snagging the most talented WR available is one way to try to keep up. If Patterson can contribute early (ala Julio Jones) the Vikings receiving core should be better than last season despite losing Harvin.

I'm not going to say I hate the Jets trade, I think they did what they had to.

But trading away arguably the best CB in the league and then drafting another one...

I don't love their picks but wouldn't you eventually replace revis if you could? They have a ton of needs but I can't kill them for trading away revis and replacing him with a younger talent who will be mucb much cheaper for the next four years and likely beyond.

The Vikes added three talented players that fit their teams needs, well done. The reason people question trading up for Patterson is mainly the cost of doing so, versus the depth at WR in this draft. They could have gotten a very good prospect WR at 52, but it wouldn't have been Patterson. They must believe he is worth it, so best of luck to them. In a division that has Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall, snagging the most talented WR available is one way to try to keep up. If Patterson can contribute early (ala Julio Jones) the Vikings receiving core should be better than last season despite losing Harvin.

I think they coveted Patterson more than other receivers because of his skill set. Sounds like he can take hand offs and bubble screens and quick slants, find some space and turn it up field pretty quickly. Ponder needs that because he sucks if he has to drop back and go through his progressions....which is an awesome attribute for a QB :rolleyes:

Anyway, any other WR available at 52 wasn't going to possess the same skill set. Keenan Allen or Robert Woods might turn out to be good receivers on other teams. But on the Vikings, with their mess at QB, not sure they'd develop the same way.

Basically the Vikings lost a 3rd and a 4th for Patterson. It was worth the gamble. They needed a dynamic playmaker on offense more so than an ILB. Be interested to see what NE parlays those picks into.

Overall I like what the Vikings did, but they got trade-raped by the Pats.

I'm hoping the Pats get Allen or Woods - I'm high on both with a slight edge to Allen.

Quote from Manti Te'o Imaginary Girlfriend post round 1. " Focking motherfockers!!! you are the stupidest focks I have ever focking met in my entire focking life. Fockheads can't you focking see you are passing on the focking greatest focking opportunity you focking might ever focking have to focking field a great focking team? Well focking do you ... you ass-crack fucknuts I will focking CuntPunt you!" :mad:

:unsure:

Quote from Manti Te'o Imaginary Girlfriend post round 1. " Focking motherfockers!!! you are the stupidest focks I have ever focking met in my entire focking life. Fockheads can't you focking see you are passing on the focking greatest focking opportunity you focking might ever focking have to focking field a great focking team? Well focking do you ... you ass-crack fucknuts I will focking CuntPunt you!" :mad:

:unsure:

CuntPunt = Gold.

CuntPunt = Gold.

Been trying to think of ways to use it. Wish i could say i came up with it :(