Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

*** 2013 NFL Draft - Discussion Thread ***

Patterson (or Geno, am I the only one who hates Ponder?)

Patterson (or Geno, am I the only one who hates Ponder?)

Got one right :thumbsup:

The Vikings are really filling spots of with falling players.

Jacksonville is still going to get Geno Smith.

Not happy with the trade, but Floyd/Rhodes/Patterson is a hell of a talent infusion.

Patterson likely to start in the slot in your opinion? He's a bit limited right now, but a great athlete.

Patterson likely to start in the slot in your opinion? He's a bit limited right now, but a great athlete.

I like Jarius Wright's potential as a slot receiver, so I'd expect to see him sharing time with Jerome Simpson.

Vikes give 2, 3, 4 and 7. Bah.

And with those picks Patriots draft a CB who missed most of his senior year with a broken foot, an underperforming SEC DL, a tight end project, and a 5'6" punt returner.

Bank it.

Rams take Alec Ogletree

Jeff Fisher's criminal addiction kicks in. Good pick sort of. I was trying to force Ogletree onto the Giants in the FFToday mock draft.

I have to digest things, figure out what to hope the Lions do in round two.

Cowboys take Travis Frederick

that just happened. elam, cyprien, and warford all on the board, and DAL picks a C with a 3rd round grade, who would almost certainly have been available to the cowboys at 47.

this is after passing on floyd at 18, which would have been the steal of the draft. and getting hosed on the trade down--18 to 31 gaining a 3rd, while an earlier trade down was 22 to 30 gaining a third and a 6th.

i can't express how angry i am right now.

Yeah, I don't get the trade down. They must have been targetting someone who was picked between 18 & 31, then were forced to settle for a center.

Comparatively the Pats absolutely murdered the Vikes in their trade.

Yeah, I don't get the trade down. They must have been targetting someone who was picked between 18 & 31, then were forced to settle for a center.

Comparatively the Pats absolutely murdered the Vikes in their trade.

you may be right. if they had gotten a 2nd, i'd think they were just stockpiling picks--there is some serious value in their need areas in the 2nd and 3rd. but settling for a 3rd seems to indicate that they had someone in mind. this 3rd rounder better be a serious player, especially if floyd pans out the way he projects to.

as an aside, the commentators who were watching the war room cam tweeted that garrett looked like he wanted to stay at 18, but got overruled. not comforting.

warford is going to go in the top 10 of round 2, which will just kill me. guy would have been a day 1 starter for a much lower rate than they're paying right now. i suspect this was a money decision based on the FA G pickups last offseason.

this frederick kid looks to be a player, but it's hard to get excited about the pick.

edit: the pats/vikes trade looks really lopsided, but i don't think it's as bad as it appears. i agree with the network guys--MIN is going all-in on a serious run while peterson is still at his peak.

you may be right. if they had gotten a 2nd, i'd think they were just stockpiling picks--there is some serious value in their need areas in the 2nd and 3rd. but settling for a 3rd seems to indicate that they had someone in mind. this 3rd rounder better be a serious player, especially if floyd pans out the way he projects to.

as an aside, the commentators who were watching the war room cam tweeted that garrett looked like he wanted to stay at 18, but got overruled. not comforting.

warford is going to go in the top 10 of round 2, which will just kill me. guy would have been a day 1 starter for a much lower rate than they're paying right now. i suspect this was a money decision based on the FA G pickups last offseason.

this frederick kid looks to be a player, but it's hard to get excited about the pick.

edit: the pats/vikes trade looks really lopsided, but i don't think it's as bad as it appears. i agree with the network guys--MIN is going all-in on a serious run while peterson is still at his peak.

Going on a serious run, by losing one of the most talented WR's in the league, trading multiple picks for a prospect, who will be catching balls from one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

Makes perfect sense.

I didn't see any actual Bengals games so I'm not a good judge. All I can say is that based on FF production, Gresham was a solid/productive TE last year. Maybe he can't block... I wouldn't know.

Gresham is actually a better blocker than most. But as rohlio said, he's been a bit of a disappointment for where he was drafted and the skills he has. I expect Eifert to pass him quickly. Would love to have a Bengals version of Gronk and Hernandez...without the gay nightclub dancing of course.

Vikes need a better QB or it's all for naught.

Can somebody explain why the 49ers (w/KC's 2nd rounder) pick after the Jags in round two and the same with Cincy a few picks later holding Oakland's 2nd rounder going after Philly and Detroit.

I presume if you trade for a pick, you don't go in the spot that the team would pick but after all the teams that had the same record as that team.

Thanks.

Can somebody explain why the 49ers (w/KC's 2nd rounder) pick after the Jags in round two and the same with Cincy a few picks later holding Oakland's 2nd rounder going after Philly and Detroit.

I presume if you trade for a pick, you don't go in the spot that the team would pick but after all the teams that had the same record as that team.

Thanks.

Teams with the same record get the order changed in each round. KC and Jax had the same record, KC had the worse SOS, so they picked first in the first round. The order will be swapped in the second, back to the original in the third, swapped in the fourth, etc.

Teams with the same record get the order changed in each round. KC and Jax had the same record, KC had the worse SOS, so they picked first in the first round. The order will be swapped in the second, back to the original in the third, swapped in the fourth, etc.

I was wondering the same thing as Voltaire. Thanks for clarifying that V4E.

Something to note about the Vikings/Pats trade:

29-32 are MUCH more valuable than 33-36 because teams with first round picks get an option of keeping the player under the rookie contract for an extra year.

I still think too much was given up, but I can live with it.

Something to note about the Vikings/Pats trade:

29-32 are MUCH more valuable than 33-36 because teams with first round picks get an option of keeping the player under the rookie contract for an extra year.

I still think too much was given up, but I can live with it.

I think that the trade value charts made the trade of picks pretty darn close in value.

But common public and pundit perception is to always praise New England for being geniuses on draft day, and the Vikings are bumbling clowns.

I think that the trade value charts made the trade of picks pretty darn close in value.

But common public and pundit perception is to always praise New England for being geniuses on draft day, and the Vikings are bumbling clowns.

The trade chart kind of got thrown out the window this year. Teams were trading a good distance up and only giving a third in return. This is a draft with great depth. 2/3/4 picks are worth more than usual this year.

The trade chart kind of got thrown out the window this year. Teams were trading a good distance up and only giving a third in return. This is a draft with great depth. 2/3/4 picks are worth more than usual this year.

The draft has been very weird in many ways this year. There is more of a stampede philosophy, one or two teams do/think something, and 10 teams follow. The confident, agressive GMs should be able to pick some pockets.

Still, I think Minnesota is fine in the trade, especially considering Patterson should have gone before that point in the draft. The Oakland-Miami transaction along with Dallas-San Fran had me far more flummoxed.

that just happened. elam, cyprien, and warford all on the board, and DAL picks a C with a 3rd round grade, who would almost certainly have been available to the cowboys at 47.

this is after passing on floyd at 18, which would have been the steal of the draft. and getting hosed on the trade down--18 to 31 gaining a 3rd, while an earlier trade down was 22 to 30 gaining a third and a 6th.

i can't express how angry i am right now.

And once again the head clown at Valley Ranch shows his ass and stupidity, ha. I've been telling you for weeks now Jerry is a drafting moron - this move plus the fact we have no players on our roster from either the '08 or '09 drafts is beyond defendable. And then you see what NE got for their first round pick - ha!

'the chart' is increasingly in question. bales--the statistical analyst over at DCC.com, ran a ton of analysis a few months ago, and make a pretty solid argument that the chart overvalues early picks on a consistent basis. he shows the talent curve being much flatter than the original chart suggests.

as i look at it, the chart should be redefined every draft, rather than a 'one size fits all' arrangement. particularly for this draft, there just wasn't enough top-end talent to make trading up really worthwhile, unless a team needed a very specific guy. hence your point about the value in later rounds.

'the chart' is increasingly in question. bales--the statistical analyst over at DCC.com, ran a ton of analysis a few months ago, and make a pretty solid argument that the chart overvalues early picks on a consistent basis. he shows the talent curve being much flatter than the original chart suggests.

as i look at it, the chart should be redefined every draft, rather than a 'one size fits all' arrangement. particularly for this draft, there just wasn't enough top-end talent to make trading up really worthwhile, unless a team needed a very specific guy. hence your point about the value in later rounds.

You could also make the argument that talent evaluation has become progressively worse and the number of blown picks early is throwing the chart numbers off. And some of these late rounds are producing solid players from smaller schools, as the talent level among more and more teams in the NCAA is flattened out.

I've seen alternative charts show that Oakland ripped off Miami yesterday, and Dallas fleeced San Francisco. Come on. That can't be right.

You could also make the argument that talent evaluation has become progressively worse and the number of blown picks early is throwing the chart numbers off. And some of these late rounds are producing solid players from smaller schools, as the talent level among more and more teams in the NCAA is flattened out.

I've seen alternative charts show that Oakland ripped off Miami yesterday, and Dallas fleeced San Francisco. Come on. That can't be right.

yeah--there's a lot of controversy. nfl.com is talking about oakland doing better than expected--the OAK front office is claiming that they got their guy at 'half price'. and DAL is putting a brave face on their trade, but i don't buy it. had they even gotten a high 3rd, i think the deal would be defensible. but i don't see 31 and 74 being good enough compensation to move from 18-31.

here is bales' column. the guy is a real statistical analyst, not just a sports numbers guy.