Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Player's Championship**

I'm not going to try to do a Top Ten for the Player's Championship the way I do for the four majors. The reason why is the reason why I love the Player's so much. It's totally unpredictable. The course favors NO ONE. No one type of player has an advantage over any other. I know there are only four golf majors, but I hold the Player's in just about as high a regard as any of the four majors based on strength of field and the test of golf that it presents.

So, here's to a fun weekend of watching golf and hopefully installing an underground pet containment system. Cheers. :cheers:

No one type of player has an advantage over any other.

'Cept maybe Newbiejr.

It's not even debatable, the Player's has the strongest field of any tournament in the world......... That being said, and I hate to say it, but it has lost a bit of its shine and prestige that it once had. When I try and think why, it boils down to them moving it back later in the year. Until they made the change, this tournament signified the official winter break out for golf fans trapped in the cold. It marked the beginning of big time, championship golf, and it ushered us into the Masters in full golf boner overdrive. Now, yea it's great, but coming off the heels of the Wells Fargo - almost seems like just another tour stop.... I will certainly watch like I always do - but the Player's Championship no longer feels like the 5th major to me.

It's not even debatable, the Player's has the strongest field of any tournament in the world......... That being said, and I hate to say it, but it has lost a bit of its shine and prestige that it once had. When I try and think why, it boils down to them moving it back later in the year. Until they made the change, this tournament signified the official winter break out for golf fans trapped in the cold. It marked the beginning of big time, championship golf, and it ushered us into the Masters in full golf boner overdrive. Now, yea it's great, but coming off the heels of the Wells Fargo - almost seems like just another tour stop.... I will certainly watch like I always do - but the Player's Championship no longer feels like the 5th major to me.

Good points about the timing and so forth. I still love watching this tournament, though. It has produced great champions, all cut from different molds.

Some guys like Choi, Garcia, Kuchar, Tim Clark, and Henrik Stenson may never win a "major". But, if they're good enough to win this tournament, they're good enough to win one of those as well. From one man's perspective, they already have.

i prefer the timing now and might like it even better later in the year. I like the golf season to be ramping up already before hitting a major-like stop on the calendar.

Sergio Garcia with five birdies in a row to join Tiger Woods in the lead at -10...

Played Sawgrass. Playing as a single was paired up with an asst pro, a college kid (Coastal Carolina), and his coach. Cold, windy, rainy. Parred 17 and 18 to keep it in double digits.

- Cool story bro :wave:

• Like 1

Edge of the seat kinda sh1t for me watching it earlier today.

At least until the 17th for Sergio :lol:

I guess the question is "Is Kevin for real"? His 9 iron on 17 was pretty damn incredible.

Disclaimer: I've never liked Sergio

Sergio lost anywhere from 1.5mil-800k on the last 2 holes. He has 1 PGA victory in the last 5 years. No career majors. Several epic meltdowns.

Sergio lost anywhere from 1.5mil-800k on the last 2 holes. He has 1 PGA victory in the last 5 years. No career majors. Several epic meltdowns.

I believe he actually has 2 in the last 5, one being a Player's Championship. He also earned $16 mil last year, doubt he was too shook up about the cash he dunked in the water.

Never really cared for Sergio, but find myself rooting for him the last few tournaments. Sometimes you have to root for the mental midget.

I was thinking Tin Cup during that as well. I was hoping for a couple more splashes.

I believe he actually has 2 in the last 5, one being a Player's Championship. He also earned $16 mil last year, doubt he was too shook up about the cash he dunked in the water.

I meant 1 PGA victory since his Player's victory 5 years ago. He gets treated like Golf Royalty, but does not own the hardware. Another Monty.

I meant 1 PGA victory since his Player's victory 5 years ago. He gets treated like Golf Royalty, but does not own the hardware. Another Monty.

Yea, but then again - he's not alone. Luke Donald, as much as I like the guy, was world #1 - treated like a God and yet he never had a major either...... The thing about Sergio is that his fame is driven by his personality, not his game. Sure he has some and yes he is a huge cog in the Ryder Cup fever - but in realty he is loved and hated bcoz of his charisma. He has a lot of Seve in him in that regard.

I root for Sergio, not sure why but he's fun to root for. Maybe it is the "charisma" angle. I was rooting for Tiger on Sunday like crazy, but I never wanted to see Sergio implode like that. It left a pain the gut feeling seeing him go through a sleeve of balls on the last two holes.

Do ya'll know one of the reasons Hank Haney named his book about Tiger The Big Miss, it wasn't due to some negative connation, its because Tiger always tries avoid the The BIG miss in tournaments that put him out of contention. Stuff we saw from Sergio on 17. Tied for lead at 17 Segio needs to club up and hit the middle of the green, if he misses a little left so be it, lag put up for par and move on. Iif you miss a little bit right it funnels down to the hole for a birdie putt. Thats the smart play.

I root for Sergio, not sure why but he's fun to root for. Maybe it is the "charisma" angle. I was rooting for Tiger on Sunday like crazy, but I never wanted to see Sergio implode like that. It left a pain the gut feeling seeing him go through a sleeve of balls on the last two holes.

Do ya'll know one of the reasons Hank Haney named his book about Tiger The Big Miss, it wasn't due to some negative connation, its because Tiger always tries avoid the The BIG miss in tournaments that put him out of contention. Stuff we saw from Sergio on 17. Tied for lead at 17 Segio needs to club up and hit the middle of the green, if he misses a little left so be it, lag put up for par and move on. Iif you miss a little bit right it funnels down to the hole for a birdie putt. Thats the smart play.

Not saying I disagree that the smart play would be middle of the green. Doesn't mean it is the right play. Did Sergio have a better chance to birdie one of the last holes or beat Tiger in a playoff? I don't know. But he chose to go after it, and I respect that. When you have a history of coming up short, I don't like the idea of playing it safe to try and get into a playoff with a better player. And who knows, if Sergio pars 17, Tiger may go after that putt and make it on 18. Then he just has to go for it on 18 anyway. Sergio was sort of playing for Tiger to make birdie on 18. And you can't fault that.