Sign in to follow this  
Recliner Pilot

Death pool update: Ray Manzarek

The old get old, and the young get stronger

may take a week, and it may take 42 years

Not the most obvious reference, but a close second.

What's the first

I guess he finally broke on through to the other side. :dunno:

:lol:

One of the greatest musicians to ever live. The Doors never had or needed a bass player because he was so fawking great. He played a vox and a keyboard at the same time and could recite the lyrics Morrison belted out without missing a beat. Doing three musical things at once is incredible.

i meet him and his wife once after a seminar he did at UNO when he published his book about the Doors. Densmore was there and they talked to us like we were family.

He told me a story about how he and his wife would ride around the slums in LA looking for inspiration. They found a slum motel in LA. It became the cover of "Morrison Hotel". Ray: Jim was so fawked up that he thought they were in Beverly Hills. Jim: We need to write a song about wemens from here. "LA Woman" was borned.

One of the greatest musicians to ever live. The Doors never had or needed a bass player because he was so fawking great. He played a vox and a keyboard at the same time and could recite the lyrics Morrison belted out without missing a beat. Doing three musical things at once is incredible.

i meet him and his wife once after a seminar he did at UNO when he published his book about the Doors. Densmore was there and they talked to us like we were family.

He told me a story about how he and his wife would ride around the slums in LA looking for inspiration. They found a slum motel in LA. It became the cover of "Morrison Hotel". Ray: Jim was so fawked up that he thought they were in Beverly Hills. Jim: We need to write a song about wemens from here. "LA Woman" was borned.

Couldn't quote BB on device :mad: but that was a greata story

I was a huge Doors fan as a kid, and I still like them. But I can't think of a bigger band from that era, which had so little musical talent. Jim Morrison was one of the worst singers the industry has ever seen and there wasn't anything special about the guitarist or drummer.

The Doors success can be almost entirely attributed to Ray Manzarek and to a small extent Jim's lyrics. JIm's good looks and outlaw image helped, but overall the band was basically Manzarek. And he played the frikin organ. It's amazing they ever made it as big as they did.

Every teenager goes through the Doors phase. Sex, drugs, booze, teen like angst, down with the government, can't trust the pigs, all with the willingness to die before you'll budge and let the party end. While the reality was far different, it's exactly how every teenage boy wanted to see himself. Jim Morrison and the music of The Doors represented our own version of Tyler Durden.

Needless to say, the sizzle was of far more substance than the steak. But that's ok. I still like a lot of their music, not because I think it's all that great. But because it takes me back to high school. I can't even begin to list all the memories I have of being drunk with my friends while we blasted the Doors and pontificated on the coolness of Jim, nor the number of 17 year old girls I hooked up with in my bedroom as Doors posters hung on the wall overhead. And the more you talked about how important the Doors were, the lower those teenage panties slid.

So yeah, I'll always love the Doors. RIP Ray!

Every teenager goes through the Doors phase. Sex, drugs, booze, teen like angst, down with the government, can't trust the pigs, all with the willingness to die before you'll budge and let the party end. While the reality was far different, it's exactly how every teenage boy wanted to see himself. Jim Morrison and the music of The Doors represented our own version of Tyler Durden.

Needless to say, the sizzle was of far more substance than the steak. But that's ok. I still like a lot of their music, not because I think it's all that great. But because it takes me back to high school. I can't even begin to list all the memories I have of being drunk with my friends while we blasted the Doors and pontificated on the coolness of Jim, nor the number of 17 year old girls I hooked up with in my bedroom as Doors posters hung on the wall overhead. And the more you talked about how important the Doors were, the lower those teenage panties slid.

So yeah, I'll always love the Doors. RIP Ray!

I have no idea who who Tyler Durden is, but I agree with everything else you said. When I was a teenager I thought the Doors were mysterious and interesting. Now I think of Jim Morrison as a hippy drug addict with an inflated view of himself as an intellectual poet.

There's a lot of great musicians throughout history who's tragic death I felt robbed the world of great music we'll never get to hear.... motzart, buddy holly, skynard, etc... But I don't feel that way about the Doors. When Jim died, the world was robbed of some Doors-sounding music.

Mr Mojo Rissin

The lizard King.......I can do anything

I don't know why, but I loved his style. He was the ultimate performer when he wanted to be. When he was on...he was on. He ooozed sex appeall and Jagger was jealous of him. He was the fawking man for a short period of time.

The movie "THE DOORS" should have been named "MORRISON". It was all about him. As it should have been. What most don't realize is how talented the band was. And they did a ton of drugs and were able to perform. Or keep up with Jim as he wanted. "Break oN Through" was his goal for his band-mates. He found ways to keep it together whilst losing control.

Love that motherfawker. I had a tenant blow his fawking brains out under me listening to "The End". while i was in the bathtub above him. I subsequentioally banged some chick I never knew the name of that night whilst the coppers were investigating the scene searching for reasons as to why this freak blew his brains out below me.

Can I just say there never was, nor never will be a time when I could tolerate the Doors?

His voice grates on me something fierce. It's pendantic and in no way musical. I half expect him to start singing "Bueller, Bueller?" and then begin again discussing the war of 1812 and/or the merits of Plessy v Ferguson.

I am so glad Morrison died. I find no musical value from that entire band. I only wish that Val Kilmer would have truly method acted his way into an early death as well.

It's all a matter of personal taste, so I won't stab your mother's vagina more than a few times with a rusty bayonnette if you disagree, but still,at the end of the day, I'm right and you're wrong.

And on that, I think we can all agree. :wave:

Morrison. Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain, and a few others all joined the 27 CLUB for a reason. They sucked at life and couldn't handle it.

I have no idea who who Tyler Durden is, but I agree with everything else you said. When I was a teenager I thought the Doors were mysterious and interesting. Now I think of Jim Morrison as a hippy drug addict with an inflated view of himself as an intellectual poet.

There's a lot of great musicians throughout history who's tragic death I felt robbed the world of great music we'll never get to hear.... motzart, buddy holly, skynard, etc... But I don't feel that way about the Doors. When Jim died, the world was robbed of some Doors-sounding music.

Name another band that has come close to The Doors original sound in the past two generations? Morrison was not a good singer at all but he was a good writer and a great front man in the early years.

They were the first white boys to rock rhythm-blues with rock, politics,and unfortunately, pop, and make it sellable. They made up for it with songs like "Back Door Man".

Todays generation could use a little more music like the Doors put out.

I have no idea who who Tyler Durden is,

People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden.

People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden.

You should punch yourself in the face and play along.