Sign in to follow this  
Agame

Home field advantage pts

Our league is thinking about offering 0.5 point for the team playing at home. Nothing major. Just something that will help prevent ties and "slightly" reward the team playing at home. Does this sound like a good idea?

At .5 points... why bother? Seems like a throwaway amount to me. If you are using fractional points (which you should be), ties won't be an issue for the most part. 10 years playing and I have never seen a tied game with fractional points.

If you want home team advantage, make it 3 points at least - or don't bother.

Why not use decimal scoring?

Switched to it about 4 years ago & have yet had a tie.

Our league is thinking about offering 0.5 point for the team playing at home. Nothing major. Just something that will help prevent ties and "slightly" reward the team playing at home. Does this sound like a good idea?

No

Regular season, ties are fine, makes the standings more fun and complicated.

Playoffs, higher seed gets home field and breaks a tie.

At .5 points... why bother? Seems like a throwaway amount to me. If you are using fractional points (which you should be), ties won't be an issue for the most part. 10 years playing and I have never seen a tied game with fractional points.

this. if your league doesn't use fraction points... it should. We have never had a tie ever since.

We use fractional in my work league, I had a tie last year. Rare but it can happen.

We finally had one as well 2 years ago. Very random. I added bench points as the tie-breaker.

I've seen games lost which should have been otherwise won due to not having decimal scoring. Believe me, with twelve starting players the fractional points can add up. It is the only fair way to go, and I have never seen a tie in our league though I have seen games lost by .01 pts. Yes, this was ONE yard.

My Fantasy League has an option for home field advantage which we used in our playoffs for a couple years. After one guy got screwed by it the uproar was so intense the rule was voted out next season.

We do but ties still occur once in a blue moon.

if you use proper decimal scoring like 1 passing yard = 0.05 or 0.04 it would have to be longer than a blue moon for a tie.

I didn't pay any attention to it, but I see today that 2 of my leagues have home team points. They posted them to our scores for this week today. I have home teams this week in both. One is worth 5 points, the other 1.

Arbitrarily handing someone an arbitrary .5 is arbitrary.

Use fractional points.

Your H2H schedule is arbitrary. Having a small point value for a "fantasy home field advantage" mimics reality and is not a bad idea. We do it and you actaully consider whether you are home or away. Adds to the game, in my opinion.

But, I don't think it should be added as a way to deal with ties.

i don't think it adds to the game. it just adds more variance and randomness while at the same time not really serving any practical purpose. we already have enough of those two things in fantasy football, especially H2H leagues.

on the other hand, i actually like formats that give higher scoring regular season teams an advantage in the playoffs -- for instance, adding the team's average regular season score to their score for that week to determine their total points for the playoff matchup.

in the rare event of a tie, for the playoffs it should be decided by highest regular season total points (i.e., home field advantage). in the regular season... allow ties, or go to ANYTHING but bench points. total yards from scrimmage, qb points, highest scorer, whatever... but bench points should never be a factor in fantasy football as far as i'm concerned.

yeah, i like using yardage more than TDs because they're at least a little less fluky. of course it's silly to be discriminating about flukiness when you have a tied decimal scoring fantasy football game, but may as well go with the lesser of two evils.

We use starter yardage points. There's less of a chance it's still tied after the tiebreaker.

I actually like that a lot, we run ours on fleaflicker though and that's not an option.

I actually like that a lot, we run ours on fleaflicker though and that's not an option.

We use Fleaflicker, too. The Commish gets a lot of leeway in Fleaflicker. He just does a score adjustment of the tied game, and adds 0.1 points to the guy who won the tiebreaker to give him the win. It does add 0.1 points to the winner's season total, but it's highly unlikely that would make any difference in determining a playoff spot. Anyway, we make a mental note of the extra 0.1. It happens so rarely, it's not something you're going to forget. In fact, I think we've only had one tie since we've been using Fleaflicker, and that was before we went to decimal scoring.

in case anyone was curious about tie probability, this is a good post:

"To build on this... In one of my leagues last year with pretty standard lineups & scoring, the average score for a game was 90 points, with a standard deviation of 20. If you assume a normal distribution for scoring with stdev=20, then that means you'd expect a tie about once every 70 games in a league without fractional scoring (based on a simulation of 10,000 games that I just ran). So in leagues with fractional scoring and 1/20 passing you should get a tie about once every 1400 games, and in leagues with 1/25 passing about once every 3500 games. A 12-team league with a 14-week regular season plays 84 games per regular season, so it should have about 1.2 ties per year without fraction scoring, 1 tie every 17 years with fractional scoring and 1/20 passing, and 1 tie every 42 years with fractional scoring and 1/25 passing."

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=569356

• Like 1

in case anyone was curious about tie probability, this is a good post:

"To build on this... In one of my leagues last year with pretty standard lineups & scoring, the average score for a game was 90 points, with a standard deviation of 20. If you assume a normal distribution for scoring with stdev=20, then that means you'd expect a tie about once every 70 games in a league without fractional scoring (based on a simulation of 10,000 games that I just ran). So in leagues with fractional scoring and 1/20 passing you should get a tie about once every 1400 games, and in leagues with 1/25 passing about once every 3500 games. A 12-team league with a 14-week regular season plays 84 games per regular season, so it should have about 1.2 ties per year without fraction scoring, 1 tie every 17 years with fractional scoring and 1/20 passing, and 1 tie every 42 years with fractional scoring and 1/25 passing."

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=569356

:nono:

i don't think it adds to the game. it just adds more variance and randomness while at the same time not really serving any practical purpose. we already have enough of those two things in fantasy football, especially H2H leagues.

on the other hand, i actually like formats that give higher scoring regular season teams an advantage in the playoffs -- for instance, adding the team's average regular season score to their score for that week to determine their total points for the playoff matchup.

in the rare event of a tie, for the playoffs it should be decided by highest regular season total points (i.e., home field advantage). in the regular season... allow ties, or go to ANYTHING but bench points. total yards from scrimmage, qb points, highest scorer, whatever... but bench points should never be a factor in fantasy football as far as i'm concerned.

So you don't like the concept of "home field advantage" but think it woould be benefical in the play-offs? Way to go, Mr. Hypocrisy.

uh, one has nothing to do with the other. in the regular season with "home field advantage" you're arbitrarily giving a team 5 points every other week for no reason. all this can possibly accomplish is increasing variance with no productive purpose.

total season points or win-loss record is probably what the tiebreaker should be in the event of a tie in the playoffs, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with playoff formats that give higher seeded teams a point advantage proportional to their regular season success.

What I don't get is what is so bad about a tie in the regular season? Seems like a lot of people getting worked up over nothing.

uh, one has nothing to do with the other. in the regular season with "home field advantage" you're arbitrarily giving a team 5 points every other week for no reason. all this can possibly accomplish is increasing variance with no productive purpose.

total season points or win-loss record is probably what the tiebreaker should be in the event of a tie in the playoffs, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with playoff formats that give higher seeded teams a point advantage proportional to their regular season success.

I never said it was a way to break ties. Just that I like the concept of home/away games. If you think that doesn't matter in the NFL then you are kidding yourself.

my 14 teamer uses decimal scoring and we haven't had a tie in the 7 yrs of the league's existence. if there is a tie, so be it. but in the playoffs the higher seed wins a tie if necesary

I never said it was a way to break ties. Just that I like the concept of home/away games. If you think that doesn't matter in the NFL then you are kidding yourself.

of course home field advantage matters in the nfl. it matters in fantasy football already too -- all else equal, a player playing at home is expected to perform better than if he was playing on the road.

the difference between the nfl and fantasy football is that in the nfl, games are played in situations and locales which benefit one team over the other out of logistics and necessity. home field advantage isn't something that was created, it's just there. in fantasy football, there's no reason to "create" artificial home field advantage when every game is played at a neutral site (your computer).

but, if your league likes it that's all that matters. just stating the case for why i don't like it.