Sign in to follow this  
FrogAssassin

Good Reads

Tomas covenant, I'll have to check it out I stopped at white gold welder. All I can remember is his constant guilt and he seemed like a whiny botch lol. Thirty years later ill pick it up again lol.

Joe Abercrombie first law trilogy is great.

The abhorsen trilogy by Garth nix is also an excellent read. Very different.

I'm reading "Silver Linings Playbook". It's the story of a crazy, jobless man who lives in Philly in his parents' basement. I don't think it's PhillyBear because this guy is incredible shape and once had a woman, but I can't be sure.

Not too far in, but it's pretty interesting so far. I've laughed out loud a couple times.

I'm reading "Silver Linings Playbook". It's the story of a crazy, jobless man who lives in Philly in his parents' basement. I don't think it's PhillyBear because this guy is incredible shape and once had a woman, but I can't be sure.

Not too far in, but it's pretty interesting so far. I've laughed out loud a couple times.

Btw, this is a great book. :thumbsup:

Something I didn't see there but would highly recommend is The Passage by Justin Cronin and the sequel to it, The Twelve. The final book in the triology is due out in 2014 and I can't freaking wait. It's some of the best sci-fi that I've read in a very long time. In fact, I'm about to start rereading the series in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip. About halfway thru "The Passage" and I agree that it is pretty great. :thumbsup:

3 book series I bet some on this here bored have read:

Wool/Shift/Dust by Hugh Howey

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

3 book series I bet some on this here bored have read:

Wool/Shift/Dust by Hugh Howey

I read Wool. I thought it was okay. Not good enough to make me want to read the other installments though.

Just put aside Thomas Covenant and started SlaughterHouse 5. Covenant just wasn't holding my interest.

Just into passage, reminds me a lot of Stephen king the way he is developing the characters. Getting a lot of backstory on them. I'm at the part where the is hitting the fan and they is loose.

Just into passage, reminds me a lot of Stephen king the way he is developing the characters. Getting a lot of backstory on them. I'm at the part where the ###### is hitting the fan and they is loose.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The way he develops the characters and weaves the thread of the story reminds me of how King did it in The Stand. Really good read.

next book I read will be the cat in the hat to my son. :fu:

next book I read will be the cat in the hat to my son. :fu:

When my daughter was in the hospital, I went through a 500+ page book of Irish Fairy tales. I loved every minute of it and I think you will too.

Speaking of The Passage... when does the 3rd book come out?

Just started reading Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining... will review when I'm done, if I remember.

Just started reading Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining... will review when I'm done, if I remember.

No exact release date yet, everything simply says 2014. :wall:

Also interested in Dr. Sleep, so let us know how it is. :cheers:

No exact release date yet, everything simply says 2014. :wall:

Also interested in Dr. Sleep, so let us know how it is. :cheers:

Well, it could be right around the corner, then. I'm trying to remember when The Twelve was released...

So far, Dr Sleep is pretty good, but I tend to be less critical of King than most people. He was always my favorite author as a kid, so I tend to cut him some slack. I think his ideas and stories are brilliant... But some of them, I think he tries too hard to make us see what he sees and it doesn't translate into words very well. That's my opinion on why a lot people don't like the endings to some of his books.

Well, it could be right around the corner, then. I'm trying to remember when The Twelve was released...

So far, Dr Sleep is pretty good, but I tend to be less critical of King than most people. He was always my favorite author as a kid, so I tend to cut him some slack. I think his ideas and stories are brilliant... But some of them, I think he tries too hard to make us see what he sees and it doesn't translate into words very well. That's my opinion on why a lot people don't like the endings to some of his books.

Wow, that is spot on with how I read King. I always loved his stuff as a kid and that has continued for me to this day. Even if I don't particularly love the story (Hearts in Atlantis) or an ending (a couple of different times), there's something about the way he tells the story that keeps me reading his stuff. And I have to say, when he is on, he is really great (The Stand, Salem's lot are a couple of my favorites). :cheers:

When my daughter was in the hospital, I went through a 500+ page book of Irish Fairy tales. I loved every minute of it and I think you will too.

Why was she there? :(

Rumor of a movie in the works, directed by the guy that did clover field.

Why was she there? :(

Think I mentioned here before, but born prematurely (at 25 weeks). Was in hospital for just over 200 days before she came home. All well now. :thumbsup:

Think I mentioned here before, but born prematurely (at 25 weeks). Was in hospital for just over 200 days before she came home. All well now. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Currently reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." Fascinating stuff.

Just loaded up a Dave Robicheaux on my kindle. The first one, Neon something or other. Ill see where it takes me.

Possible Spoiler alter..dont scroll down, Its about the book the Passage.

The passage..its a long one and that whole Time Jump 100 years into the future kind of threw me. What the hell happened to amy? She better come back. Does she?

My daughter was 10 weeks early, 3lbs 6 oz. Its amazing what doctors can do now a days. She's the picture of health.

Only spent about 8 weeks in the NICU before coming home.

One of my all time favorites is The Count of Monte Crisco. Not an easy ready but a greata story.

3. Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay. Another single book, pretty epic in scope.

Highly recommend all his books

Highly recommend all his books

Just downloaded some of his, never heard of him before. Tigana was not avaliable in any digital format. I grabbed The Lions of Al-Rassan that I paid for, River of Stars, Song for Arbonne, and the Fionavar Trilogy for free.

Looks good from the reviews!

I bought this yesterday from Amazon. Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, Fox in Socks)

it was out of stock, but I don't think my son is quite ready to be read to, being 3 months old.

This is the time when his brain is forming neural pathways that he will use the rest of his life. The more stimulation through music, words, interaction, colors, etc etc will make him more intelligent over time.

He will be throwing sippy cups in no time.

Just loaded up a Dave Robicheaux on my kindle. The first one, Neon something or other. Ill see where it takes me.

Possible Spoiler alter..dont scroll down, Its about the book the Passage.

The passage..its a long one and that whole Time Jump 100 years into the future kind of threw me. What the hell happened to amy? She better come back. Does she?

The time jump thing is something that I really enjoyed, as I wasn't expecting anything like that. I won't say if Amy returns or not, but I will say to keep reading. At first, I didn't care for it, as I got pretty attached to the early characters. However, it grew on me pretty quickly. :thumbsup:

My favorite fantasy, that you didn't mention...

1. The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies - Melanie Rawn

A bit polyana, when compared to grittier fantasy like Song of Fire and Ice, and the Black Company, but very well written, characters that are likeable.

2. The Daughter of the Empire trilogy - Raymund Feist and Janie Wurtz

Kind of an Eastern style setting. Very rich, convoluted world.

3. I assume you've already read the Wheel of Time, but it is excellent of course.

I've been reading the First Law Trilogy, by Joe Abercrombie, and so far, it is first rate.

I agree with you though, I have 100% converted to electronic reading. I mostly read on my phone (samsung Galaxy SIII) using either MoonReader+ (for books I pirate) or Kindle or Play Books for books I must pay for. Sure, reading on a five inch screen has its downside (which is why I'm getting an Ipad) but the convenience of always having my library in my pocket is awesome. I find myself reading in all those little situations where you have to wait somewhere, even standing in line.

Someone gave me some print books recently. I had to return them and download them instead. I'm just done with print.

I also liked the Abercrombie trilogy. The read somewhere that if Quentin Tarrentino ever wrote a Fantasy series, this would be it.

Also I am waiting book three of the Kingkiller Chronicals by Patrick Rothfuss, and just recently finished book 2 of Tad Williams New trilogy The Bobby Dollar Books. I like both of them a lot.

My daughter was 10 weeks early, 3lbs 6 oz. Its amazing what doctors can do now a days. She's the picture of health.

Only spent about 8 weeks in the NICU before coming home.

It's really amazing how many people I come across with similar stories now that I've had a daughter like this. She was born just in time; if she was born a few days earlier, it could have had a tragic ending. As it was, she was at 1 lb, 8 oz, which doesn't even seem possible.

I also liked the Abercrombie trilogy. The read somewhere that if Quentin Tarrentino ever wrote a Fantasy series, this would be it.

Also I am waiting book three of the Kingkiller Chronicals by Patrick Rothfuss, and just recently finished book 2 of Tad Williams New trilogy The Bobby Dollar Books. I like both of them a lot.

There are a couple of stand alone novels set in the Abercrombie world. I am reading Best Served Cold. That one is VERY Kill Bill. Chick gets done wrong, makes a Death List Five, and goes on a killing spree.

Recently read "Ender's Game" I found it very "meh" and I am something of a sci-fi/fantasy guy. I thought the concept was interesting, but Card just really isn't much of a writer IMO. The plotlines with his brother and sister were so underdeveloped I wondered why he even included them.

I just finished "Heart Shaped Box" the debut novel of Joe Hill, son of Stephen King. I thought it was very solid and I hear his subsequent efforts keep getting better.

I've recommended it here before, but "Beat the Reaper" by Josh Bazell is a great book.

I just started an intended re-read of "The Thomas Covenant Chronicles". Not sure I'm going to follow through though. I remember liking them a lot more the first time.

I completely disagree and am surprised you didn't enjoy it being a sci fi fan. I agree that the concept itself is cool, but am not sure if there really was a better way to approach it than card did.

I didn't read through all of the responses but I just finished the fourth book in The Dark Tower series by King. I think it's a cool futuristic take on a gun slinger.

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk was a fun read.

Another Palanhiuk book I am 3/4 of the way through is Pygmy. Its not the easiest read since the majority is written in a fictional broken English. The book is amusing through the view point of a brain washed third world secret operative.

I completely disagree and am surprised you didn't enjoy it being a sci fi fan. I agree that the concept itself is cool, but am not sure if there really was a better way to approach it than card did.

I didn't read through all of the responses but I just finished the fourth book in The Dark Tower series by King. I think it's a cool futuristic take on a gun slinger.

Another Palanhiuk book I am 3/4 of the way through is Pygmy. Its not the easiest read since the majority is written in a fictional broken English. The book is amusing through the view point of a brain washed third world secret operative.

I bought one Pahlanik book. Now I am no poosay, I read bloody gory sh!t, but the first chapter of that book made me really squemish and I never finished it.
Basically, some kid was jerking off in his pool, and decided to place his anus against the drain. It created a vacuum, tore out half his colon, and filled the pool with his half digested food

That guy is a sick bastage.

On Ender's game; for the most part, I guess I just don't care much for Card's writing style.

The characters were extremely wooden, and/or unsympathetic. I never found Ender, or any of the characters believable, or relatable. There was no imagery whatsoever. I never felt like I could picture one locale in the book. The supposed moral dilemmas never seemed like real big dilemmas for anyone. As I say the whole aside with his brother and sister was so underdeveloped and irrelevant to the story that I couldn't even understand what its purpose was. And the epilogue with Ender travelling into space was so rushed that it was dumb/pointless to even include it. Not to be insulting, because taste is subjective, but it was one of those books where I found myself wondering "What is it that people DO like about this book?" At no point did I find entertaining or insightful, and at no point did I give a crap about any of the characters, including Ender - which I guess goes without saying since he is really the only character. :dunno: