Sign in to follow this  
tigeru

Looking to improve league for next year

It's a 12 team league where 6 make the playoffs. As far as roster spots what do you all see as working well in any of your leagues? I have qb 2 rb 2 wr te flex kicker def. I am considering a switch to qb 5 flex kicker defense as tight ends seem to be more miss than hit but not to saturate the market or whatever.

we do 1 QB 2 WR, 2RB, 1 Flex, 1 WR/TE, K/.Def

people really like the options that way. Our waiver wire is thin, we carry 6 bench as well, but its fun having an extra skill position, lots of times people have started 3 TE's, 1 guy used the strategy to go Graham in 2nd, Gronk in 4th and Julius in the 13th, hes loving it now

we do 1 QB 2 WR, 2RB, 1 Flex, 1 WR/TE, K/.Def

people really like the options that way. Our waiver wire is thin, we carry 6 bench as well, but its fun having an extra skill position, lots of times people have started 3 TE's, 1 guy used the strategy to go Graham in 2nd, Gronk in 4th and Julius in the 13th, hes loving it now

How would you play 3 TEs in that?

And if it's a pure flex, depending on scoring, wouldn't you be better off playing a second QB?

As for making any league better, I think the goal should be that the waiver wire is mostly thin. It's like that in real football and what fun is it if you play Romo and he gets hurt and you go get a Luck or Ryan? Real NFL teams can't do that.

Now, how do limit the depth of the waivers? You can do that a couple of ways. There's league size, 10 or 12 teams. Then there's roster size, both in starters and bench. Personally, I don't like a huge bench. Now need to manage your team when you have an endless bench.

QB - 10 team, 2 QBs; 12 team, 1 QB

RB - 2 RB for both

WR - 10 team, 3 WRs; 12 team, 2 WRs

TE - 1 TE for both

W/R/T = 1 W/R/T for both

K - 1 K for both

DEF - 1 DEF for both (having 2 DEF in a 10 team gets real interesting)

And then there's IDPs. Defensive players are people too! Add in 5 or 6 of those for an added feature.

In the above listings (not including IDPs), a 10 teamer has 11 starting postions. A 12 teamer has 9.

Add in 5 or 6 bench spots.

The result is you have a good amount of starters and bench without a vast pool availble on waivers. QBs aren't a dime a dozen in the 10 or the 12. Nor are RBs or even WRs or TEs. K's are as dime a dozen as usual and most will still stream most DEFs.

But still, the thinned waiver wire and short bench calls for more planning and managing. I never understand the leagues with 8 or 9 starters and a bench of another 8 or 9. How hard is that?

Anyway, my 2 cents. Invest it how you will.

Auction

Keepers

Off season free agency

Franchise players

Special keeper rights for rookies

Taxi squad

IDP's

My Fantasy League allows for just about anything.

The only limits are those you impose.

12 Teams

2 Divisions

6 teams make playoffs (Division winners plus next 4 based on record regardless of division)

Division winners get entry fee back plus 1rst round bye in playoffs - This makes the regular season mean something.

PPR - 16 Rounds

1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

No IR

Toilet Bowl (non playoff teams) Winner wins next years #1 pick - Keeps all teams engaged so no shenanigans

SuperBowl winner wins 70% Runner up 30% of the pot.

Rotating Waivers (never resets) - makes waiver position part of strategy

No transaction fees - we just up the entry fee

Ties in standings are decided by season total points

We don't do keepers, dynasty, off season stuff or IDP. We prefer to keep it sweet and simple.

10 team PPR league.

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR/TE - you can start 3 TE/0 WR if you want; all that have ...lost their game

1 K

1 DT

Seems to work well. Most teams can't field 2 good RB's to start with, so we felt a flex position was reduntant.

$200 per team entry. Entry fees split between playoffs and total points (top 4 in each) Also consolation winner and most points against gets $25 each.

$5 transaction fees go to Top Ten pool. The top Ten weekly high scores split the pot. $700 in pot this year so far.

man i hate 12 teams half make the playoffs. 2 easy.

12 teams 2 divisions 2 winners 2 wild cards.

i also like the idea of making the remaining teams battle for next years draft order.

drop the kicker.

i dont get why so many leagues use kickers. its just a crap shoot.

QB

2RB

2WR

TE

2 W/R/T

defense

thats my favorite set up so far.

also, auction leagues are a blast. did one for the first time last year and it was quite a bit of fun. we did it at the last minute and i was only able to be in the room with 2 other people drafting and i think drafting with the whole group would make it a lot better.

The league I'm in has 12 teams. 3 divisions. First 3 weeks are intra-divisional games, weeks 4-11 you play each team outside your division, weeks 12-14 again are intra-divisional games. Top team in each division plus top wild card make playoffs. Playoffs are weeks 15 & 16. I like this format a lot.

We use

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 WR/TE

1 WR/RB

K

DEF

Most people start 2 RBs, but during bye weeks quite a few people didn't. Considering how bad the RB position has been this year, that decision basically kept our league competitive right until the last few weeks for everyone. I like it. Theres a 3 way tie for the best record and a 3 way tie for the 2nd best record. We have a 4 team playoff so we have at least 8 teams that could make the playoffs still with only 2 weeks to go.

Any auction explanations and examples?

Find someone willing to work for beer with a loud voice that won't crap out after a good amount of talking. You want a good auctioneer. Auctioneer should be consistent with the way players are sold. "Going once, going twice, sold" sort of thing but the cadence should be consistent...no holding for 5 seconds after "going twice" if he hasn't been doing it that way all night...that'll frustrate people. Make a decision and stick with it as far as when a bid makes it in in time or when a player is sold...like if your auctioneer gets the "s" out, it's sold...or give him a gavel. Lol...if the gavel cracks, the player is sold.

The budget isn't as important to me...some leagues use $100, mine is 160 (16 roster spots...$10/player avg) and some go up to $200+. It doesn't much matter...prices will adjust based on your league's budget.

Find someone willing to work for beer with a loud voice that won't crap out after a good amount of talking. You want a good auctioneer. Auctioneer should be consistent with the way players are sold. "Going once, going twice, sold" sort of thing but the cadence should be consistent...no holding for 5 seconds after "going twice" if he hasn't been doing it that way all night...that'll frustrate people. Make a decision and stick with it as far as when a bid makes it in in time or when a player is sold...like if your auctioneer gets the "s" out, it's sold...or give him a gavel. Lol...if the gavel cracks, the player is sold.

The budget isn't as important to me...some leagues use $100, mine is 160 (16 roster spots...$10/player avg) and some go up to $200+. It doesn't much matter...prices will adjust based on your league's budget.

We just start with the last place finisher, who throws out the first player with a bid, and go from there. We may sit around the tables in order of finish, some guys care and some don't. Some don't even throw out players and pass the bid occasionally. But we don't use an auctioneer in that sense.

drop the kicker.

i dont get why so many leagues use kickers. its just a crap shoot.

True enough, sort of, but the point in having a K is that it is another position on your team you have to manage. That management may be one guy every week till his buy and then another guy the rest of the way, but still, it requires some management. I've seen teams keep their K while on a bye and lose by less than 5. Serves them right! You wanna win? Manage your team! Even your K.