Sign in to follow this  
BigMilk

Impact Rookies

We all love reaching for the overhyped dude or the dude just behind some mediocre veteran on the depth chart. Three dudes I like:

Donte Moncrief (WR - Colts): Colts receiver situation is pretty weak, and I see Hakeem Nicks stinking it up. Moncrief is a physical beast that could really click with Luck if they can develop some chemistry and mutual confidence before Week 1.

Devonta Freeman (RB - Falcons): SJax is done, Jizz stinks. Freeman has talent and is walking into a great opportunity.

Bishop Sankey (RB - Titans): His competition is Shonn Greene. Thats right, Shonn Greene. GFIAFP could probably get a few touches in this backfield.

Who you got?

Colts have Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, plus Allen and Fleener. I think there are too many other options for a rookie WR to be an impact player there this year, though I like his dynasty value.

Colts have Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, plus Allen and Fleener. I think there are too many other options for a rookie WR to be an impact player there this year, though I like his dynasty value.

They also have da rick rogers.

We all love reaching for the overhyped dude or the dude just behind some mediocre veteran on the depth chart. Three dudes I like:

Donte Moncrief (WR - Colts): Colts receiver situation is pretty weak, and I see Hakeem Nicks stinking it up. Moncrief is a physical beast that could really click with Luck if they can develop some chemistry and mutual confidence before Week 1.

Devonta Freeman (RB - Falcons): SJax is done, Jizz stinks. Freeman has talent and is walking into a great opportunity.

Bishop Sankey (RB - Titans): His competition is Shonn Greene. Thats right, Shonn Greene. GFIAFP could probably get a few touches in this backfield.

Who you got?

Agree about Sankey . God Bless

They also have da rick rogers.

True, they also have Lavon Brazil... But I was only naming the guys who I believe are the starters...

True, they also have Lavon Brazil... But I was only naming the guys who I believe are the starters...

I wouldnt count Rodgers out completely. He is worth mentioning at least because i doubt moncrief jumps ahead of him right away without injury.

Carlos Hyde.

I think he'll be the Eddie Lacy of this years RB crop. May not start out the year getting the touches, but he's contending with 123 yr old Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter, who is a change of pace back at best. If they expected Lattimore to be a big contributor, I doubt they select Hyde.

Big, punishing runner. They moved the pocket enough last year for Miller that he has learned the fundamentals of pass protect, and he's got a mobile QB to help him. They've upgraded their WR, the offense's biggest weakness last year. I think the stars are aligned.

Carlos Hyde.

I think he'll be the Eddie Lacy of this years RB crop. May not start out the year getting the touches, but he's contending with 123 yr old Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter, who is a change of pace back at best. If they expected Lattimore to be a big contributor, I doubt they select Hyde.

Big, punishing runner. They moved the pocket enough last year for Miller that he has learned the fundamentals of pass protect, and he's got a mobile QB to help him. They've upgraded their WR, the offense's biggest weakness last year. I think the stars are aligned.

Too crowded of a back field in SF though. Hyde will be limited this year.

I don't think there are any Eddie Lacy or Keenan Allens out there this year. I think there are a few WRs that might be worth later picks though. The one that intrigues me the most is Davante Adams. I think he can take over for James Jones fairly quickly. He could be a solid WR3 or 4.

i hate to say it, but look out for odell beckham, NYG. scheme-wise, teams have to double cruz. given beckham's skillset, he could put up some explosive numbers fairly quickly. that will largely depend on the depth chart, but he's one of those later round guys who could be a difference-maker.

Obvious pick, but after trading Stevie Johnson you've got to figure Sammy Watkins is a lock for a ton of targets with a decent shot at 1,000 yards and 8 or more TDs immediately.

The more I read about Terrance West, the more I think he has a chance to produce in Cleveland. He is a perfect back for Kyle Shanahan's offensive scheme and with Ben Tate's injury history you have to assume he'll get a fair amount of touches. Definitely seems like he could be a good value pick.

The more I read about Terrance West, the more I think he has a chance to produce in Cleveland. He is a perfect back for Kyle Shanahan's offensive scheme and with Ben Tate's injury history you have to assume he'll get a fair amount of touches. Definitely seems like he could be a good value pick.

i'm thinking the same... West could become the next Alf Morris - but one who can actually catch out of the backfield.

Matthews-Maclin is coming over knee surgery and I am not sold the Cooper is a true #1 wr. Matthews is fast and should be on the field early and often.

Agree

Love Moncrief's talent and think he's a future star, but don't see much of a impact this year without some key injuries ahead of him on the depth chart.

Watkins and Beckham are sexy picks and will have some impact for sure, but I like Robert Woods to be the beneficiary of Stevie's departure, especially if he gets more looks out of the slot with Johnson gone. Everyone is talking up Beckham, which is great, cuz I'm still on the Randle bandwagon for now. New OC Bob McAdoo won't employ as many option/timing routes as Gilbride which will work in Randle's favor as him and Eli were often not on the same page last year.

Terrance West is getting some hype in Cleveland, but Isaiah Crowell is the better talent with more upside, and he's the guy I'm most interested in seeing from the Cleveland backfield in the preseason.

Brandin Cooks is the guy that walks into an ideal situation IMO with the chance to make the biggest impact this season. Brees as his QB, no Sproles or Moore, an aging Colston, a burner on the outside in Stills, means Cooks should be a target hog as a rookie.

• Like 3

Mike Evans will be a fairly safe rookie WR pick. VJax and he should actually pull off a nice Marshall/Jeffery imitation with a QB who threw to those two (Marshall/Jeffery) and succeeded last year.

I usually don't expect too much for rookie WRs. You won't see many of them help your fantasy team immediately.

For this year, I like Evans and Odell Beckham best.

Agree on Brandon Cooks and Bishop Sankey, both should put up solid number this year. One not mentioned yet:

Jarvis Landry- currently working on all three WR spots in Miami, Jarvis is possibly the best route runner / hands combo from this draft. A slow 40 time hurt his draft stock, but he could be gold in a PPR league as Miami attempts to go up-tempo this season.

Sammy watkins is the most talented of all skill position rookies by a mile. He should walk away with ROY honors.

I am keeping an eye on these guys during the pre-season. Also remember who is in front tof these guys.

-Terrance West (am a Tate owner) like his film. Great vision, shifty

- Andre Williams NYG, I think he is undervalued and is in a good spot

- Storm Johnson- I like his film too big shifty back. He is fighting Gerhart

Things have been changing ff giant, and we need to adjust to it. Rookie wideouts are succeeding at much higher levels now.

This might be true. But it is everyone's guess who will be fantasy relevant in the first year. I'd rather take my chance with players I know more.

• Like 1

* bishop sankey: best rb in the class, good offensive line, really no competition on roster w shonn greene injured/roster spot in jeopardy

* terrance west is a good call too, as is jeremy hill: i think he could take away BJGEs role in Cincinnati

* brandin cooks. rookie wideouts don't often overachieve, but remember sproles is gone, colston is aging, lance moore/robert meachem are gone too. he'll have scads of opportunity.

as for carlos hyde, i just don't trust the situation at all. look at san fran's recent drafts:

- glen coffee

- anthony dixon

- kendall hunter

- lamichael james

- marcus lattimore

- carlos hyde

they take a RB every year. why is hyde going to succeed where the others haven't, short of complete collapse by frank gore?

I hate rookies. I've only drafted two in 20 years. One was Randy Moss and the other was Doug Martin. Both turned out well, but one was an exceptional talent; the other in an exceptional situation.

That said, Sankey has the best situation. I like Cooks over Watkins because of his QB. Not a big Benjamin fan but there's no one else in Carolina to catch the ball. If I'm a Peterson owner, I draft McKinnon late. He could be huge in that offense. I kinda like ASJ in Tampa to put up strong rookie TE numbers.

I normally stay away from rookies. Last year was different though. I went elite WRs early and fell back on the crop of rookie RBs - Lacy, Gio, and Bell. Those guys (with Megatron, Dez, and Demaryius) did very well, but I won't be repeating that strategy this year. I just don't see the good situations, or talent that can do well without the situation.

I might take a flyer on some lesser rookie WRs later in the draft, but I won't over pay for players like Evans or Watkins. I'll let someone else bay the early round rookie receiver tax.