Sign in to follow this  
thesitedoc

Steve smith potentially #1

Looking at his upcoming schedule cinci is really the only tough d they face and he has proven to be flaccos favorite target. In ppr this guy is just destroying my league for a guy taken late in the draft.

Does he keep this up or do defenses figure away to take him away from Flacco.

Easy now. He'll slow down as defenses catch on. Also he is old - an injury or just plain ol' wearing down is not out of the question at his current usage rate.

Easy now. He'll slow down as defenses catch on. Also he is old - an injury or just plain ol' wearing down is not out of the question at his current usage rate.

I really feel obligated to call out this post. Defenses catching on? He's been in the league 1.5 decades, and also if any team would know how to shut him down it would have been his former team, right? He's a freak of nature still at his age, and plays tough but smart to avoid injuries. I've seen all of Flacco's games and Steve Smith is definitely his all-time favorite toy. The fact that he's the best possession/move-the-chains WR AND big play threat on the Ravens is the key to his current and future success. Boldin never got the separation that he does, he's better after the catch then Pitta was, he's a better route-runner than Torrey, Flacco trusts him b/c of his high football IQ, and he's still just as hungry for success as when he was a rookie. Guy's a champ.

I really feel obligated to call out this post. Defenses catching on? He's been in the league 1.5 decades, and also if any team would know how to shut him down it would have been his former team, right? He's a freak of nature still at his age, and plays tough but smart to avoid injuries. I've seen all of Flacco's games and Steve Smith is definitely his all-time favorite toy. The fact that he's the best possession/move-the-chains WR AND big play threat on the Ravens is the key to his current and future success. Boldin never got the separation that he does, he's better after the catch then Pitta was, he's a better route-runner than Torrey, Flacco trusts him b/c of his high football IQ, and he's still just as hungry for success as when he was a rookie. Guy's a champ.

Oh you must have misunderstood me on multiple levels.

When I said defenses will catch on, I didn't mean they'd catch on to the fact that Smith is a very good receiver. Obviously they know that. I meant they will catch on to how Baltimore uses him and adjust to take some of those plays away.

Also I agree that Smith is a great receiver. There are lots of great receivers that don't finish #1 though

Oh you must have misunderstood me on multiple levels.

When I said defenses will catch on, I didn't mean they'd catch on to the fact that Smith is a very good receiver. Obviously they know that. I meant they will catch on to how Baltimore uses him and adjust to take some of those plays away.

Also I agree that Smith is a great receiver. There are lots of great receivers that don't finish #1 though

Ah, yes then I agree with that. I'd say, despite him being a great receiver, his numbers ARE flukey good, his alley-oop td reception from owen daniels being exhibit A. But somehow I think these things tend to correct themselves after the season's over, so I'd say top 10, which I think is incredibly bold but obvs not in this thread lol.

Smith is reliant on a few factors outside of his control.

1) Flacco, not the model of consistency, will have a good game, a bad game, a mediocre game.....repeat......

2) Other receivers, the other players simply have to ensure his matchups are favorable, or he will disappear.

3) The running game, currently looking decent

4) The O-line, Flacco requires a bit more time than other QB's to find an open player, and he gets sacked an awful lot as a result. This might actually help Smith, if he is running short routes

It would not surprise me in the least if Steve Smith finished #1. Just as it didn't surprise me that some nobody named Josh Gordon finished #1 last year.

Right now Steve Smith is hot and had one of the top performances you'll see this year. Typically finishing top means having maybe two to three of those performances at most and the rest of the time just being consistent, which Smith has done so far this season. To put it in perspective, right now he has 429 yards and 3 TDs. If he just keeps his current pace, that's a 1700+ yard season and 12 TDs, which would almost definitely get him at #1. However, if he averages say 75 yards a game, and 1 TD every other game, that still puts him at 1329 yards and 9 TDs, which is probably not #1 but is still going to be around a top 10 or so finish, which you have to be happy with for his ADP.

Realistically TDs are flukey. That is the X factor. If he manages 12 TDs I can easily see him at #1. Otherwise, he's still got a shot with the yardage total, but you can't really expect anything more than around 1400 yards, that's sort of the soft cap on WRs.

Smith is reliant on a few factors outside of his control.

1) Flacco, not the model of consistency, will have a good game, a bad game, a mediocre game.....repeat......

2) Other receivers, the other players simply have to ensure his matchups are favorable, or he will disappear.

3) The running game, currently looking decent

4) The O-line, Flacco requires a bit more time than other QB's to find an open player, and he gets sacked an awful lot as a result. This might actually help Smith, if he is running short routes

Baltimore o-line has allowed second fewest sacks w/ only 3. And the run game is averaging 4.9 yards/carry with the BAL RBs having the 3rd most yards gained between 5 and 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and 4th most yards gained beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Just put together that Torrey Smith has had 98 yards of accepted DPI against him spread out evenly through all 4 games and Steve Smith has had none. Seeing as how these don't count as targets, and the two were already close in targets going into last week's game I DEFINITELY see an increase in Torrey Smith's production.

Looking at his upcoming schedule cinci is really the only tough d they face and he has proven to be flaccos favorite target. In ppr this guy is just destroying my league for a guy taken late in the draft.

Does he keep this up or do defenses figure away to take him away from Flacco.

There is no question that T Smith will start getting more targets as the season goes on .

he's a miserable lil' Napolean complex foo' :bandana:

he comes back to earth in a big way going forward :music_guitarred:

sell high, or suffer the consequences of this knob laying many turds.

HTH :wave:

It's not whether he is 1, or 5, or 10 that concerns me...the question is what to do with this guy when I've got Calvin, AJ, and Jordy staring him in the face. Last week started Calvin and bot burned BIG time, lost by 10, SSSr wouldve won me the game by 20 points...

Who's got the balls to sit Calvin or AJ for this guy??? (Jordy btw is a friggen no-brainer these days)

These things can continue to happen but a big chunk of Steve Smith's production came on two flukey plays. If you go back to the first game of the season a busted coverage on an 80 yard TD pass. Outside of that play he has a 6/48 line. That was also a game that Flacco threw for a career high 62 times.

Last week Smith's miracle tipped ball reception went for 61 yards and a touchdown. Remove that play and he is still a respectable 6/78/1.

I think Smith can continue being a good WR. Flacco is clearly looking for him. I don't think that it is rational to think that these types of plays will continue to bolster Smith's stats.