Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

How bout dem Cowboys

I still can't believe what I'm seeing. I knew the offensive line would be the strength of this team and I knew we'd move the ball. What I can't believe is the transformation the defense has undergone. This group of no-names is bringing the wood and punishing people. R. McClain has been a godsend - the dude is a freaking beast. Once Lee comes back those 2 are going to be something to watch. I guess you have to credit Rod Marineli for all of this - he is proving to be a genius.

I have been begging for years for Jerry to build this team from the inside out. To address the offensive line and go from there. I'll be damn if he finally didn't figure it out and it's paying off big time.

I can't believe it either, man. I am glad they are putting it together, but there is no way for me to pretend I saw it coming.

Marineli deserves some real props for getting those guys to believe in themselves.

BiPolarBear, on 13 Oct 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

I can't believe it either, man. I am glad they are putting it together, but there is no way for me to pretend I saw it coming.

Marineli deserves some real props for getting those guys to believe in themselves.

You can actually make the argument that the defense is less talented than it was last year. All of this and we still have nobody to get to the qb. Dallas ranks 27th in fewest sacks and somehow the secondary is getting it done.

I still can't believe what I'm seeing. I knew the offensive line would be the strength of this team and I knew we'd move the ball. What I can't believe is the transformation the defense has undergone. This group of no-names is bringing the wood and punishing people. R. McClain has been a godsend - the dude is a freaking beast. Once Lee comes back those 2 are going to be something to watch. I guess you have to credit Rod Marineli for all of this - he is proving to be a genius.

I have been begging for years for Jerry to build this team from the inside out. To address the offensive line and go from there. I'll be damn if he finally didn't figure it out and it's paying off big time.

yeah, the idea of mcclain at mike and lee at will is...wow. and with carter finally figuring things out at sam, the LB corps could become the strength of the defense for a long time.

You can actually make the argument that the defense is less talented than it was last year. All of this and we still have nobody to get to the qb. Dallas ranks 27th in fewest sacks and somehow the secondary is getting it done.

per PFF, even though they're not getting sacks, they're one of the better teams in the league in terms of pressure--lots and lots of QB hits and forced scrambles. same thing in the secondary--despite not making a ton of splashy plays, they've been doing a workmanlike job.

and i would agree that the defense is much less talented than last season. the difference is that they finally understand the defense, and marinelli is coaching them up and motivating them.

Has nothing to do with demarco. It's about this offensive line. A good mixture of Dunbar and randle would he just fine. And might fumble less.

They said yesterday (I think it was Matthew Berry, believe or not) that the defense is actually performing the same as last year if you factor in yards/play and points/play. They're not on the field as much this year so far, thus, not seeing as many plays. 2013 defense was giving up 6.1 yards per game. After yesterday, 2014 defense is giving up 6.1 yards/play. Can't find pts/play.

They're not on the field as much this year so far, thus, not seeing as many plays.

Which all goes back to the offensive line and the ripple effect they are having across the board. They are controlling the clock, moving chains, sustaining drives - and it shows.

One thing that will have to change if this team is going to keep it going. They will have to stop focking turning the ball over. We've coughed it up 5 times in two weeks - you can't continue to win like that.

The fact that the defense is on the field less but still giving up 6.1 yards per play is a bit troubling. The offense ain't gonna have their "A" game every week.

On a positive note, their 4th quarter defense has been respectable... without D Ware.

In 2 months we are going to talk about how good the Cowboys were in October but fell apart. They won't win a playoff game, book it

I always admit when I'm wrong. Looking really wrong about the cowboys.

Demarco better stay healthy though, or house of cards.

I am not worried if Demarco goes down. Randle has been averaging 7 ypc

They said yesterday (I think it was Matthew Berry, believe or not) that the defense is actually performing the same as last year if you factor in yards/play and points/play. They're not on the field as much this year so far, thus, not seeing as many plays. 2013 defense was giving up 6.1 yards per game. After yesterday, 2014 defense is giving up 6.1 yards/play. Can't find pts/play.

you know, i was going to argue with you by going deeper into the team stats, but after crunching some numbers, i have to admit that you're correct on most measures--defensive improvement can largely be attributed to better offensive performance. however, i did develop one stat that pretty convincingly illustrates that the defense has improved on their own--the ability to force punts:

opponent 1st downs per punt

2014: 4.4

2013: 6.4

what this stat means is that for every punt the cowboys forced last season, they gave up 6.4 first downs. that number is sharply reduced this season. now, it can be argued that the defense is fresher due to improved TOP, but nonetheless, this as a per-play function that cannot be directly attributed to fewer plays against.

long story short, the DAL defense is much better at getting themselves off the field this season (which helps the offense build that TOP).

btw, points per play is as follows:

2014: 0.37

2013: 0.39

The fact that the defense is on the field less but still giving up 6.1 yards per play is a bit troubling. The offense ain't gonna have their "A" game every week.

On a positive note, their 4th quarter defense has been respectable... without D Ware.

statistically speaking, the mean (average) can be misleading. this game is a good example--SEA picked up 85 of their 206 yards (41%) on only 2 plays. against the titans, 20% of their offensive output came on 1 play. this makes the mean ypp look much worse than if a team was just pounding the ball consistently (which is what happened last season).

also think about the saints game, with brees picking up all that yardage after the game was out of hand.

it's fair to say that the defense is considerably improved.

In 2 months we are going to talk about how good the Cowboys were in October but fell apart. They won't win a playoff game, book it

I'd say the fact they were even in the discussion is a story upon itself. A primary factor is the coaching staff buying into a new offensive philosophy. The truth is if anything derails them it'll be injuries to the offensive line, which can cripple a football team. Being an eagle fan you can appreciate that statement lol... Look at Cleveland without Mack.

Losing Free yesterday was a blow, as his steady play has been a large part of their success. The word is maybe 3-4 games. which should minimize damage.

Spoken like a true eagles fan. And why is this? They just beat the Super Bowl champs. Score didn't dictate how lopsided the game was. This team doesn't appear to be the weak team it's illustrated to be in the past. Regardless of what happens it will be to Romos fault. If by chance they make it to the big game he will be given zero or no credit.

Their offensive line appears to be the best in football, have one if the better receiving cores, one of the better backs in football and a QB that can get the job done. Defensively I'm not sure what to make of them but they've been playing pretty big as of late. I dont think they'll make it to the Super Bowl but their outlook is pretty good for the next few years.

I really wish the Bucs had been able to get Marinelli instead of Frazier. Cowboys D looks solid. Bucs D looks like nightmare fuel.

Which all goes back to the offensive line and the ripple effect they are having across the board. They are controlling the clock, moving chains, sustaining drives - and it shows.

One thing that will have to change if this team is going to keep it going. They will have to stop focking turning the ball over. We've coughed it up 5 times in two weeks - you can't continue to win like that.

Truthfully, the fact they had two HUGE gaffes on special teams which led directly to Seattle touchdowns, yet still held on to win that game in a semi-dominant fashion really impressed. Though a Raider fan, I've lived here in Arlington for 15 years. It was nice to see them take Seattle, a chippy team that likes to give the extra push and always run their mouths, and punch them right in the grill in front of their own fans.

As much as I hate "America's team" I would like to see Romo shove it in everyone's face. He's been an above average QB carrying some pretty bad teams. Football unlike baseball is actually a team game and takes everyone doing their part to win and produce. Adrian Peterson didn't run for 2000 by himself, he had to have holes opened by the line. Brady wasn't throwing 50 TD's without Moss and a very good O-line giving Moss time to run 50 yards.

He just needs to get hot in the post-season, seems to be the MO.

statistically speaking, the mean (average) can be misleading. this game is a good example--SEA picked up 85 of their 206 yards (41%) on only 2 plays. against the titans, 20% of their offensive output came on 1 play. this makes the mean ypp look much worse than if a team was just pounding the ball consistently (which is what happened last season).

also think about the saints game, with brees picking up all that yardage after the game was out of hand.

it's fair to say that the defense is considerably improved.

Good stuff. Yes, averages can be misleading. However, cherry picking plays here and there to support your argument is misleading in of itself. That's kind of like saying Gio averaged 2.8 yard/rush yesterday if you take away his 89 yd TD run.

What you're saying is fair, though, and I'm a Cowboy fan so I hope you're right. Here's another stat (from pro football ref) that supports a defensive improvement this year:

2013 points/drive: 2.25 3rd worst

2014 points/drive: 1.64 6th best

If the offense slumps a little, it'll be interesting to see if this year's defense can pick up the offense.

Good stuff. Yes, averages can be misleading. However, cherry picking plays here and there to support your argument is misleading in of itself. That's kind of like saying Gio averaged 2.8 yard/rush yesterday if you take away his 89 yd TD run.

agreed--good quantitative analysis consists of chopping the numbers in a variety of ways. for example, gio averaging 2.8 outside of popping one big run is an important statistic that indicates a feast or famine trend. one of the reasons that murray is performing so well is that his ypc average is a result of consistently putting out good rushes, rather than a bunch of 2yd carries punctuated by the occasional 18yd scamper. the former results in a lot of long drives, while the latter results in a lot of punts.

from a defensive perspective, it's much more encouraging to see a lot of short carries with a few big plays, since big plays are usually the result of breakdowns that can be cleaned up. that's why median ypc is such a good stat, but unfortunately is one that we almost never see.

comedy right here.

down by 3 in the 4th quarter, 3rd and 20. romo escapes a completely free pass rusher, resets in the pocket, and hits a 23 yard strike.

last week--romo dodges a completely free JJ watt, and throws a 43 yard TD. then in OT, on 3rd and 8, romo takes a huge hit from a free blitzer...while delivering a 37 yard strike to bryant.

the week before that--3 TD passes.

the week before that--down by 4 late in the 4th. romo hits williams for the go-ahead TD.

after the first half of game 1, romo has thrown 10 TDs and 2 INTs, completing >70% of his passes, despite taking a ton of pressure. and let's not forget, DAL is converting 3rd downs at a 56% clip, compared to the league average of 42%.

they're not "taking it out of his hands". for the first time since 2007, they rest of the team is helping carry the weight.

Well said siren. I live in TN and play ff with a bunch of titans fans with a few that really enjoy ragging on the boys and romo but also like to completely ignore stats and just go with a gut feeling that romo is no good and not "clutch"

The crazy thing about watching this team this year, is they are still making some dumb mistakes like the special teams mistakes on Sunday but they are playing well enough all around to overcome those. The past few years they have had enough talent to compete with teams but could not make a single mistake or it would cost them (i.e. the denver shootout)

It's such a great feeling seeing dallas defense on the field making a stop at the end of a game. Sometimes I feel like it is a little too good to be true but they are playing solid fundamental football so I will take it

I think we will be ok with free missing for a few weeks with our upcoming schedule

anyone also see the difference in passer rating on sunday between romo and wilson: 62.6 :shocking:

If the offense slumps a little, it'll be interesting to see if this year's defense can pick up the offense.

This will definitely be something to watch. This defense is a give/don't break type unit who still gives up some yards. We also aren't a scoring type defense and we don't generate many sacks. Those could be big factors if/when the offense has off days.

This will definitely be something to watch. This defense is a give/don't break type unit who still gives up some yards. We also aren't a scoring type defense and we don't generate many sacks. Those could be big factors if/when the offense has off days.

And I can't believe a big reason I drafted Terrence Williams was because this defense looked so God-awful I felt the Cowboys would be in some high-scoring blowouts. By the way, I think it still is awful on paper. It's just not on the field very much. Also, will be amazed if McClain can hold up an entire season having been out of football and out of playing shape lately. The hilarity of all is that the sports talk honks in the metro-plex were salivating over the return of Scandrick! Lol... like he was the savior this defense was waiting on. This is definitely a modern day No Name Defense. But that was Miami wasn't it?