Sign in to follow this  
JT

Who are the guitar geeks?

Yeah. I learned this the hard way.

Everybody does, if they ever do. Less is often more.

I know a guy who is a rock solid chord player. There isn't a chord you can throw at him that he can't play anywhere on the neck and follow the progression. Strong, ringing tone, all notes clear. But that's everything he knows. Has trouble with even a simple blues turnaround. Nothin but strummin.

At the risk of sounding stoopid, how different are the chords you need to play when playing with a capo? "Wild Horses" has a couple of bar chords. What chord would I play if I'm not playing the bar chords?

The risk of sounding stoopid is why I have not commented on songwriting, so I can relate. :doh:

The chords are not different when you use a capo. The chord formations staying the same while the key changes depending on where the capo is placed. The chord formations would only change if the guitar tuning changes. The capo is just replacing the nut on the guitar further up the neck. Nothing is stopping you from making bar chords while using a capo.

You can also move your first position chords all over the neck without a capo. In some cases and placements you just avoid playing the open (non fretted)strings.

A first position chord you can use at every fret (without open strings) is an F. move it up one fret and you have an F#. Keep moving it up the neck and you have a formation of every possible major chord. Want a formation of every possible minor chord? Great! make your first position F and lift you index finger. You now have an Fm. Move it up a fret and you have F#m. Now you can make a formation of every minor chord.

Here is a first position chord that you can use in many places and ways while letting open strings ring. Make an open G major. Use your pinky on the third fret high E string (if you don't already), Drop you second finger, right where it wants to go; on the second string, third fret. You can play whole songs and never lift your two small fingers again. Just drop your third and forth fingers down a sting in the same frets. That gives you a C. Move the whole chord formation up the neck two frets (all fingers at fifth fret except your forth finger (forth fret) and you have a D. Neil Young and lots of other players use this stuff. Go back to the first G, stay in the same position and make your C (keep those two little fingers anchored). Now drop your third and forth fingers, yet again in the same position for an F. Ever here "Sugar Mountain"? :doublethumbsup: (The chord break in the song goes back up to D at the fifth fret, then to the third fret C, yadda yadda)

I would advise learning your bar chords, btw. :thumbsup:

Hope that is helpful.

so i got the crybaby wah and sonic port.

any good headphone recs? not any dr dre $300 crap but a decent set at decent price?

any good headphone recs? not any dr dre $300 crap but a decent set at decent price?

Can't recommend a headphone- sorry.

That crybaby can be heard on a lot of old school rock from the 60s like Hendrix, Clapton, and many more.

Great pedal.

Besides wearing it out with the wah wah sound, you can rock it to a position where you like the tone, and just leave it set there.

Enjoy!

Can't recommend a headphone- sorry.

That crybaby can be heard on a lot of old school rock from the 60s like Hendrix, Clapton, and many more.

Great pedal.

Besides wearing it out with the wah wah sound, you can rock it to a position where you like the tone, and just leave it set there.

Enjoy!

thanks. it was great when my son tested in the store and played the beginning of voodoo chile. his face lit up and said i have to have this thing right now. i got it later and put it away for christmas

• Like 1

I buy a lot of my equipment from GUITAR center.

does that count?

thanks. it was great when my son tested in the store and played the beginning of voodoo chile. his face lit up and said i have to have this thing right now. i got it later and put it away for christmas

Very cool.

No help there. My hearings about shot so I just grab whatever. Did pick up some Sennheisers not long ago. Nice headphones for under $100.

One of the DJ guys should be able to help here.

If I could magically know how to play any instrument right now, I'd pick piano. I'd love to be able to play rag time music and classical. :dunno:

No I'm not gay. :mad:

Anybody hang there guitars on the wall? Daughters room is running out of room. Was thinking of hanging her two on the wall. It'll look cool were her werds. Bracket suggestions?

Anybody hang there guitars on the wall? Daughters room is running out of room. Was thinking of hanging her two on the wall. It'll look cool were her werds. Bracket suggestions?

I use the Hercules wall hangers, model GSP38WB or 39WB. The weight of the guitar keeps them secure and I've never had an issue. Great space saver and they do look cool. Run around $20 per. I'm sure there are comparable a from other mfg.

One thing to consider with wall hangers and guitar stands. Many of them will react poorly with the finish of your guitar.

Especially if the guitar has a nitro based lacquer finish.

And even moreso if you just leave the guitar hanging/ sitting there.

One thing to consider with wall hangers and guitar stands. Many of them will react poorly with the finish of your guitar.

Especially if the guitar has a nitro based lacquer finish.

And even moreso if you just leave the guitar hanging/ sitting there.

True. That's why to go with Hercules or one of the other name brands. People buy hooks at the hardware store and can't understand why they wreck their guitar.

I keep my guitars in their hard shell cases and they all look new. :music_guitarred:

Either too many guitars or too little space. Weekly maintenance should keep them looking and playing like new forever.

I'm interested in getting a miniature acoustic...one that I could fool around with on the couch until I lose interest again...but one that would be playable and not a piece of junk. Would anybody have any recommendations?

The instrument is more important than the brand.

I've got a Gibson J 200 that is the sh't, plays incredibly.

I've also got some cheap ass Fender acoustic that sounds decent and plays well. I use it a lot to bang around on. It's not worth much, but it is a decent guitar.

Go play some, get the one that feels right and sounds good- especially with an acoustic. Take a friend who plays, if you can. They should be able to help.

• Like 1

The instrument is more important than the brand.

I've got a Gibson J 200 that is the sh't, plays incredibly.

I've also got some cheap ass Fender acoustic that sounds decent and plays well. I use it a lot to bang around on. It's not worth much, but it is a decent guitar.

Go play some, get the one that feels right and sounds good- especially with an acoustic. Take a friend who plays, if you can. They should be able to help.

Thanks Old School. I checked into Fender, and this was one of the first to come up:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-ma-1-3-4-size-steel-string-guitar?content=review#productDetail

It gets perfect reviews and is in my price range, so I think I might go for it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Old School. I checked into Fender, and this was one of the first to come up:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-ma-1-3-4-size-steel-string-guitar?content=review#productDetail

It gets perfect reviews and is in my price range, so I think I might go for it. :thumbsup:

My point is to play it before you buy it. Even the same model guitars can be set up differently, or one may have a straighter neck- but play a couple guitars and buy one that sounds good and plays well- for you.

My point is to play it before you buy it. Even the same model guitars can be set up differently, or one may have a straighter neck- but play a couple guitars and buy one that sounds good and plays well- for you.

Highly endorse this point.

Choosing a guitar by brand once you're a fairly adept player is one thing, though I still caution against it. There's nothing worse than paying money for a guitar that in your mind "should" sound good because of the name brand, but it just doesn't fit you. Makes the whole idea of learning seem even more impossible.

Like OS, I've got some really nice guitars, each of which I love for some reason. Among the acoustics, my go-to is a late 60's- early 70's Aria (a Japanese mfg who made really solid copies of Martins). It has a great tone, suits the fact that I have an aggressive right hand style, has been played and dinged so that I don't care about that stuff, has the perfect neck width, is easy to change the action on when I want to, etc. I bought it in a lot of musical instruments (uke, Martin backpacker, autoharp) for a total of $400.

Go to the store. Play them just to see what feels or sounds right.

Either too many guitars or too little space.

Me or you? :)

I hope I didn't say anything to offend.

Here is Steve Vai's guitar wall:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/GALLERY_Inside_Steve_Vais_Harmony_Hut_Studio

I am sure his instruments are in playable ( better than playable, I'm sure) condition and hang on a wall.

On the other hand; here is a guitar that remained in a case for 42 years with no maintenance of any kind:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1965_Fender_Jazzmaster_

Me; I am just cautious.

Highly endorse this point.

Choosing a guitar by brand once you're a fairly adept player is one thing, though I still caution against it. There's nothing worse than paying money for a guitar that in your mind "should" sound good because of the name brand, but it just doesn't fit you. Makes the whole idea of learning seem even more impossible.

Like OS, I've got some really nice guitars, each of which I love for some reason. Among the acoustics, my go-to is a late 60's- early 70's Aria (a Japanese mfg who made really solid copies of Martins). It has a great tone, suits the fact that I have an aggressive right hand style, has been played and dinged so that I don't care about that stuff, has the perfect neck width, is easy to change the action on when I want to, etc. I bought it in a lot of musical instruments (uke, Martin backpacker, autoharp) for a total of $400.

Go to the store. Play them just to see what feels or sounds right.

I know that's great advice, but I'd feel a little intimidated going into their store and playing their instruments, even though it's expected. I figure if I order one and don't like it, I can always send it back.

I know that's great advice, but I'd feel a little intimidated going into their store and playing their instruments, even though it's expected. I figure if I order one and don't like it, I can always send it back.

Mail order guitar sellers know they need to make the sale stick or you will send the instrument back. I set up guitars in a music store for years and talked with a budget guitar manufacturer (Kona) about setting up their guitars before they shipped. You could come out fine and not even need a music store to put the instrument in playing condition. It would be great if you knew a real player who could just pick up the guitar for one minute and give you a heads up.

No mater what instrument you pick up, just remember to remain calm and realize there are frustrations and difficulties inherent in the process. There is also a lot of personal reward, even if you are not camped out in front of a girl's sorority bathroom, strumming on a guitar like some lucky stiff I could name.

Me or you? :)

Me. No space to store encased guitars in ideal conditions.

• Like 1

what do ya think about a Gibson SGJ for kid's second guitar? he almost out of his 3/4. can get a good price on a 2014. USA made and looks cool without getting too crazy $$$. :dunno:

what do ya think about a Gibson SGJ for kid's second guitar? he almost out of his 3/4. can get a good price on a 2014. USA made and looks cool without getting too crazy $$$. :dunno:

Great guitar for the money. No frills, but made in USA. Grab it if you can.

Is it at local store, or online?

This model is discontinued, and the 2015 instruments come with a hefty price increase.

Great guitar for the money. No frills, but made in USA. Grab it if you can.

Is it at local store, or online?

This model is discontinued, and the 2015 instruments come with a hefty price increase.

That's what I hear. It's a local store. In the cherry color he likes...and can basically get it for $100 off what it retails for. Plus the 2015's all seem to have that auto tuner? wtf?

I bought a new USA Strat recently cuz I wanted a strat with a humbucker in the bridge. I love it.

I've owned an American Strat, a Mexican Strat and a cheap Squier Strat. I've also had imported Epiphones and others guitars that were made overseas in the past.

I'd forgotten how much of a difference there is in quality between USA made and imported guitars.

Snatch it up while you can! You won't regret it.

That's what I hear. It's a local store. In the cherry color he likes...and can basically get it for $100 off what it retails for. Plus the 2015's all seem to have that auto tuner? wtf?

The only 2015s that don't come with the robot tuner are the high end stuff from the Custom Shop, the acoustics, and the ES line out of Memphis.

The Gibson USA models all have the robot tuners, with the exception of a handful of expensive limited run instruments.

Grab that SG. It probably comes with a gig bag. See if they will throw in a hard shell case, or some accessories, like cords, a strap, strings, or whatever you can talk them out of.

I checked into it, and it has a maple neck instead of the original SG mahogany neck, which was too soft and would not hold tune well in a double cutaway design. The tailpiece on the model you are looking at is also an improvement. Hopefully the neck joint problem with old SG's has been addressed.

Make sure he is comfortable holding it. Also, the instrument is marketed as a "slim taper neck" and I saw a review that suggested it was fatter than advertised.

Good to see a dad actively trying to get his kid a good instrument.

I checked into it, and it has a maple neck instead of the original SG mahogany neck, which was too soft and would not hold tune well in a double cutaway design. The tailpiece on the model you are looking at is also an improvement. Hopefully the neck joint problem with old SG's has been addressed.

Make sure he is comfortable holding it. Also, the instrument is marketed as a "slim taper neck" and I saw a review that suggested it was fatter than advertised.

Good to see a dad actively trying to get his kid a good instrument.

thanks. he seems to do well with it when we go in there and test it. he was jammin sabbath paranoid and got some looks cause he's only 9.

How much are they asking for it?

And like I said earlier- ask for extras, hard shell case, cords, picks, strings, strap, whatever you can.

How much are they asking for it?

And like I said earlier- ask for extras, hard shell case, cords, picks, strings, strap, whatever you can.

I can get it for about $400. id like a hard case. he has a bunch of those gig bags and they suck.

I can get it for about $400. id like a hard case. he has a bunch of those gig bags and they suck.

I just sent you a PM.

That is a damn good guitar for the money. Online stores were selling them for $544 when they had them in stock.

Be sure to get the warranty card and register that thing. It's a good warranty, but it's on you to register it.

bump! kid loves his sgj and now wants a les paul :shocking:

he's doing good...i think he's pretty good for 10yo now. he made me buy him a slide and we tuned to open E. he wanted to learn allmans "dont keep me wonderin" and doing good with it.

he's now grown out of his 3/4 yamaha acoustic. and wants a martin d15-M :shocking: ...i dunno about that. i can find used ones for ~ $800.

if he's into it...is it overkill for a 10yo? or better to get a real good acoustic now instead of chasing better ones all the time?

or any recs for a good full size acoustic that's more reasonable?