Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Do you have a flashlight app on your phone?

I have Super-Bright, not Brightest Super-Bright only asks for use of Camera/Microphone

I normally only use it when I jerkoff under the covers

I don't wanna watch a video. What's he say?

it's faux news, so it's a lie

I don't wanna watch a video. What's he say?

Basically that that top ten flashlight apps are malware and sending your info to Russia, China and India.

Basically that that top ten flashlight apps are malware and sending your info to Russia, China and India.

Shiot. It's so damn handy though :(

Not really true.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

It is the case that a number of flashlight apps can potentially request or access data on users' cell phones that seemingly has nothing to do with the ordinary functioning of the app. As Wired noted, however, that statement is also true of many other types of apps, and the fact that a given app has access to data doesn't necessarily mean the app is actually using that data:

The Flashlight app on my phone is built by a company called iHandy. [A] mobile phone security operation called Appthority did an analysis of the data that Flashlight can potentially request, and it's pretty scary.

According to Appthority's president, Domingo Guerra, Flashlight is designed to do location tracking, read my calendar, use my camera, gain access to unique numbers that identify my phone, and then share data with a number of ad networks, including Google’s AdMob, iAd, and JumpTap. It may not actually be doing all of these things — Appthority's analysis only shows what the software is capable of, not necessarily what it's actually up to — but the fact that there's such an arsenal of dubious uses should raise eyebrows.

On my phone, several apps want access to information they probably shouldn't, and odds are, that's the case with your phone, too. The lesson here is that when it comes to mobile software, there’s really no such thing as a free app.

All in all, as the Guardian noted, "developers are often asking for far greater power over a user's device, in order to collect data and sell it on to marketers and ad networks. It's the latest reminder that if you're not paying for an app, its business model may well involve selling your data." But in this regard it doesn't appear that flashlight apps are a particularly greater security risk than any other form of app — users take similar risks whenever they download any type of free app, not just flashlights. And so far we've seen no reports documenting that any flashlight app is secretly funneling personal data to cybercriminals in foreign countries.

But in this regard it doesn't appear that flashlight apps are a particularly greater security risk than any other form of app

Saw this story of facebook yesterday where someone was getting the vapors telling her kids to get the flashlight apps off their phone. The above was my first thought; if you can bury that kind of code in a flashlight app, it seems like you could bury it in any other type of app as well.

Ios has a flashlight function built into the os.

It's kinda weak though. The apps turn on more lights so it's a lot brighter

It's kinda weak though. The apps turn on more lights so it's a lot brighter

the iOS one uses the camera flash. Not weak at all.

the iOS one uses the camera flash. Not weak at all.

You're right. I just tried it in the dark -- much stronger! :doh:

You're right. I just tried it in the dark -- much stronger! :doh:

WTF are you babbling about? You said something about the apps turning on more lights... Why would you need something more than the led flash?

WTF are you babbling about? You said something about the apps turning on more lights... Why would you need something more than the led flash?

I'm saying "you're right." As in you were correct, I was wrong, I concede the point, argument over, you were the victor.

Jesus, women! :rolleyes:

I'm saying "you're right." As in you were correct, I was wrong, I concede the point, argument over, you were the victor.

Jesus, women! :rolleyes:

I may have to put that in my sig. :cheers: