Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Is fantasy football worth it?

Going into Sunday night's game, I thought I had lost my match up until Dez exploded with 32 points. But before then, I felt really bad while sinking into a depression I thought maybe I should quit playing FF. All of this preparation after the NFL draft, 100's of mock drafts over the summer, 13-2 record and lose at the end for what? FF takes up a lot of time and those who you love pays for it especially the wife It can often affect your job performance if you are add/dropping players at work or reading the latest injury updates. The interesting thing is you don't have to gamble and still be as competitive as the next person. Bragging rights of who were the better miniature GM especially among friends and family is like a season finale of "The League" If you lost $1000 or simply just to your wife in fantasy football, take time to reflect on what's important and walk away from the computer. Kiss your son or daughter on the forehead while tucking them in tonight and their smile will make you feel better. It will bring you back to reality from all of this "fantasy dream."

Bah......start doing a little bit of Fanduel and you'll feel better. Making some bread on the side where week to week it's a restart is so much better than investing so much time and effort into 1 season where 1 bad week or decision derails all the previous efforts.

Going into Sunday night's game, I thought I had lost my match up until Dez exploded with 32 points. But before then, I felt really bad while sinking into a depression I thought maybe I should quit playing FF. All of this preparation after the NFL draft, 100's of mock drafts over the summer, 13-2 record and lose at the end for what? FF takes up a lot of time and those who you love pays for it especially the wife It can often affect your job performance if you are add/dropping players at work or reading the latest injury updates. The interesting thing is you don't have to gamble and still be as competitive as the next person. Bragging rights of who were the better miniature GM especially among friends and family is like a season finale of "The League" If you lost $1000 or simply just to your wife in fantasy football, take time to reflect on what's important and walk away from the computer. Kiss your son or daughter on the forehead while tucking them in tonight and their smile will make you feel better. It will bring you back to reality from all of this "fantasy dream."

If you're that invested, you could walk away from fantasy football and something else will come up that will suck away all your time.

The substance is irrelevant. It's the cause of the obsession that's the problem.

• Like 2

I see no problem with it as long as you keep it under control. I've been in my dynasty league for about 7 or 8 years now and basically just consider it a fun little hobby which helps me kill some time at work when it's slow and gives me another reason to watch football. And hopefully make a little money too :dunno:

You people that are in 10-15 leagues might wanna take a step back and re-evaluate things though :unsure:

I feel ya. Especially the bit about the wife paying for it. (and the kids).

I also spend an ungoldly amount of time and emotional energy on FF....and every year from Sept to December it takes a toll on significant relationships (mainly on Sundays when I am tuned into the games and not available and/or very edgy and tense).

I cycle between feeling very jealous of single guys or guys with wives/kids who don't care and feeling grateful but guilty that mine do care and wish I was freed up more. Lose-lose situation.

It's just so much damn fun to play and each year I win at least 1 league which is like hitting that one spectacular golf shot---keeps you coming back.

- everything in moderation, ya fockin' hippie bastids!! 1!! 11!

... except booze, of course.

hth.

You people that are in 10-15 leagues might wanna take a step back and re-evaluate things though :unsure:

Yes those people are in need of a life coach. Seriously.

If make believe football actually causes you agita, takes away time from your wife and kids, and affects your job performance, the answer is pretty clear.

You would be an imbecile to continue unless you place the value of make believe football above your health, family and career.

I actually think this all ties back to the luck versus skill debate. If you've convinced yourself that fantasy football success is due to some great skill, you begin to spend more and more hours honing your "skill". You begin to obsess over little details and over-analyze your mistakes because they represent a personal failure. It is very liberating, once you realize that fantasy football success (and failure) is mostly luck. You can still do your homework, so that you make reasonble decisions and even take some reasonable chances. You can even pretend that that you are a great GM (thus, the fantasy part). However, at the end of the day, all you can do is watch how the chips fall. If you don't enjoy that, you should probably quit playing fantasy football.
  • Like 2

I actually think this all ties back to the luck versus skill debate. If you've convinced yourself that fantasy football success is due to some great skill, you begin to spend more and more hours honing your "skill". You begin to obsess over little details and over-analyze your mistakes because they represent a personal failure. It is very liberating, once you realize that fantasy football success (and failure) is mostly luck. You can still do your homework, so that you make reasonble decisions and even take some reasonable chances. You can even pretend that that you are a great GM (thus, the fantasy part). However, at the end of the day, all you can do is watch how the chips fall. If you don't enjoy that, you should probably quit playing fantasy football.

:thumbsup:

I'm sure some will disagree but I say fantasy football is 49% skill and 51% luck.

It does take a little skill to be successful consistently year in and year out. How many years of making 75% of fantasy playoffs do you need to prove some skill is needed. Granted luck can cancel out skill some years by way of injury, etc

Pal... I've been playing for eons but never have I ever let it derail my personal life or affect my relationships with the wife and kids. Has my wife been frustrated at times with all the behind the scenes silliness? Why of course. But to the point that it affects job performance and personal moods like it has to you? Maybe you need to take big step back. This stuff is not worth it. Good luck with everything.

One thing to note: why 100s of mock drafts. Just grab a current adp to see about when players you like are going.

To me anyway, in fantasy football making the playoffs is skill but winning it all has much more luck involved.

• Like 1

You don't need to spend as much time as you are spending on Fantasy Football. Do some mocks - not 100s, no need to watch every game glued to the computer.

Go out and do something with the family, check your scores when you get home. The outcome will be the same either way.