Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Epic fantasy sob stories. Heres mine, lets hear some of yours too.

All of these stories im about to tell are true and took place in my main Money league. Beware, not for the faint of heart. Feel free to selectively quote certain stories to ask why I havent killed myself or just to rub it in. These are what gibe me night terrors and GFIAFP levels of PTSD.
Lets hear your best sob stories. Fantasy tales of woe that are either outrageous turns of bad luck or just crazy things that happened that ruined you.
2010: The year Vick had his magic run with the eagles. I picked up Vick as a FA after he showed flashes. Kolb was the starter and was hurt for a few games. Reid said Kolb would get his starting job back next week when he was healthy. Big Ben was my qb and I needed RB help bad so I offered Vick for Donald Brown. The owner verbally refused and laughed at me. Later that week Reid flipped and said Vivk was playing too good and would continue to start. I was stoked. Then I logged on and saw that the owner who verbally refused, did not hit decline on the trade nor did I recind it. He then approved it and I traded Vick away for Brown. I made the championship game and lost by 2 points with Big Ben. Vick outscored Ben by 8 points or so. I would have won the championship.
2011: Jordy nelson and Gronks huge year. I traded some mediocre rb for Gronk and Jordy to a desperate owner. I then needed QB help and traded jordy to the Hasselbeck owner since Hass had 3 big games in a row. Hass then did nothing and jordy had 15 tds. After doing the math and seeing what would have happened if I had kept Jordy, I would have won the championship.
2013: This one gives me nightmares. I had been appointed co-commisioner of the league. We had a new player who was dumb and 6 games in, he was in first place int he division. That week tho he had 4 players either on bye or playing on thurs and he hadnt set his lineup. Me, out of league integrity told him I would set his lineup for him if he didnt by thurs afternoon. No reply so thurs came and I simply sat/started guys from his bench, no add/drops. Well sunday came and he ended up beating his opponent by 1 point. Fast forward to the end of the year, he won the division by 1game...over me...After doing the match and what SHOULD have been the playoff scenarios if I hadnt meddled and changed his lineup...Yep u guessed it, I would have won the championship.
2014: this one is my fault. I wisely drafted Jeremy hill late as my secret weapon. Later in the season, 1 game before Hill basically took over the league, I traded him for Jerrick mckinnon fresh off a couple good games. Jerrick then did squat while hill ran amok over the league. I lost in the playoffs but after doing the math to see what would have happened if I had kept Hill...yep...I would have won the championship.

Lost 2005:Championship by playing Billy Volek, who was on fire, over Brett Favre, who was playing in a dome.

Favre had his best game in a dome in his career to that point while Volek played terrible against a weak Denver secondary and was pulled in the 3rd quarter.

The point differential cost me the Championship.

Still bitter ten years later.

Wow, I could literally be here for days typing. A few that stand out to me.

2000 (I think?): we started a keeper league. my team sucked, so I had the first pick in 2001. I 'went out on a limb' and took Tomlinson. Adding him to a lineup with Kurt Warner and Terrell Owens took me to a superbowl loss. I was planning on having a dynasty for years. Naturally a guy in the league dropped out, and everyone else decided they wanted to 'start over'. Tomlinson went on to have a hall of fame career. I went on to have years of despair.

2009: I had the best team in the league. Easily won total points. 3 teams tied for the last playoff spot, and I played the team that got in on a technicality. My team had a down week, which was still almost enough to win, except for Dallas Clark's career day of 7-95 and 2 TDs.

2010: Make it to the superbowl. my entire team of CJ2k, Ray Rice, Colston, VJax, Ben Watson, and David Akers all have their worst week of the year.

Ah hell with it. I could go on all focking night. My luck's so bad if it were raining puzzy, I'd get hit in the head with a d!ck

Guys,

There can be coulda, woulda, shoulda in any year and scenarios where if you had made the right move or non move you would have won the championship! Learn to accept those failures! We all like to think we can the championship every year but it is the choices made that win or lose those championships .

Guys,

There can be coulda, woulda, shoulda in any year and scenarios where if you had made the right move or non move you would have won the championship! Learn to accept those failures! We all like to think we can the championship every year but it is the choices made that win or lose those championships .

Yea those dont hurt as bad as the 2010 and 2013 stories I posted that have completely outside situations derail my season. I literally beat myself in those situations and gave away the title.

I don't remember the exact years. But all of mine were just bad luck. The weeks that I would be up like 20+ points on an opponent and they only have one player left. That said player would score 40 points that day. Happened to me three times. Against Antonio Gates, Peyton Manning, and Doug Martin.

I don't remember the exact years. But all of mine were just bad luck. The weeks that I would be up like 20+ points on an opponent and they only have one player left. That said player would score 40 points that day. Happened to me three times. Against Antonio Gates, Peyton Manning, and Doug Martin.

Oh for sure. If its a situation where my opponent is down 20 but has 1 player to go in a primetime game, I just concede the loss. Doesnt matter if its a 3rd stringer, they will find a way.

Wait...people that post on this bored have lost a league? Or even a game?!?!

I call BS on these sob stories.

In order to get into my main money league I had to split a team with my brother's brother-in-law. I didn't care because I just wanted to get in the league and I enjoyed working with him. As you all know it can be hard working with another person on a project, let alone a fantasy football team. He put most of the transactions and roster planning in my hands since I spent more time on the hobby and it was working well for us.

One year we picked up Reggie Bush and Sproles off of waivers and they were both great for us. Sproles was on the Saints and lighting the league up in ppr. We went on a winning streak and squeaked into the playoffs as the second wildcard team due to our mid season transactions. We were one game away from the championship and I had our roster set up. I go and check how our team is scoring later in the day and see that Sproles was on the bench even though I had him starting. My partner had a feeling Sproles would have bad game so he sat him. Needless to say he had a great game and by not playing him was the sole reason we lost.

What's worse is that we killed the third place game and even scored enough points that we would have won the championship. This mishap cost us about $700. He apologized a ton over the next two years. I'm a nice guy and told him it was fine. Told him that I was happy we made it that far since we were so lucky to even make the playoffs that year.

In order to get into my main money league I had to split a team with my brother's brother-in-law. I didn't care because I just wanted to get in the league and I enjoyed working with him. As you all know it can be hard working with another person on a project, let alone a fantasy football team. He put most of the transactions and roster planning in my hands since I spent more time on the hobby and it was working well for us.

One year we picked up Reggie Bush and Sproles off of waivers and they were both great for us. Sproles was on the Saints and lighting the league up in ppr. We went on a winning streak and squeaked into the playoffs as the second wildcard team due to our mid season transactions. We were one game away from the championship and I had our roster set up. I go and check how our team is scoring later in the day and see that Sproles was on the bench even though I had him starting. My partner had a feeling Sproles would have bad game so he sat him. Needless to say he had a great game and by not playing him was the sole reason we lost.

What's worse is that we killed the third place game and even scored enough points that we would have won the championship. This mishap cost us about $700. He apologized a ton over the next two years. I'm a nice guy and told him it was fine. Told him that I was happy we made it that far since we were so lucky to even make the playoffs that year.

Good story. Thats tough for sure, but he made a call and had to live with it.

Good story. Thats tough for sure, but he made a call and had to live with it.

A lesser man would have chewed his ass out bad. I was ok with it and knew he felt terrible about it. Those are the breaks in fantasy football.

1999. Total points league. Commissioner decides to go all 17 weeks that year. I have a 50 point lead going in to week 17, with a RB duo of Eddie George and Edgerrin James. The guy behind me has Dorsey Levins. George is sitting out the second half, James twists an ankle. Dorsey Levins scores 4 TD's and rushes for 146 because the Packers had to keep scoring because of a Tie Breaker in the standings that was coming down to points scored, with the Panthers. It's the only time we used all 17 weeks. Oh yeah, it was the commissioner I lost to.

My horror stories are as a commissioner back in the day when USA today was your official stats and rules of playing were so undefined. Eric Metcalf getting a TD for kick returns if he was in your line-up before they added the special teams part to defense. Listing Kordell Stewart as a RB-QB and him playing QB the whole game giving a guy 2 QBs. Peyton Manning throwing a pass that deflects off of somebody and he catches it and runs in for a td giving him 2 TDS. Beyond a doubt most people playing today don't realize the luxury of having sites that will do everything for you. Odd thing is the commissioners today get a free ride when I paid to attract interest and spent hours looking in a newspaper and adding up. Sorry off subject perhaps, been working a lot but that's what came to mind the more I digest the over the years part.

My team sucked last year...had the brilliant idea of taking Graham in the first round. But the real pain was watching players on the other team blow up on me every weekend.

Partial list of players that had their best week of the season against me: Forte, Forsett, Ellington, Ingram, Jeffery, Donnell and Phil Dawson.

I won the title of points scored against by almost 100 point and this in a league where 60-70 will usually get you a win.

I got one for you guys. Its fantasy championship game 2013... I'm actually on my honeymoon at the time, I convince the wife to let me watch the deciding game SF vs ATL where it is his Niners Defense vs. My kicker Phil Dawson. With 1 minute left to go in the game, I am up by 9 pts. Im feeling pretty good and I'm receiving texts from other league mates, congratulating me or whatever. UP by 9 with a minute left with only his defense puts me at 99% chances of winning I think. Feeling great.

Then the unthinkable... I think at the time, ATL was down by a score and was throwing on every down. A ball gets tipped and picked for 6... ME.. He got 2 for the pick and 6 for the INT but I had phil dawson so i got 1 on that. That put the score at just a shade under 2 points.

Clock's ticking and ATL continues their aerial assault and gets into field goal range. Down by 2 scores in the game so they actually line up to kick when SF calls a TD to ice the kicker. When they come back from the timeout, they changed their minds about kicking and decide to throw up a hailmary..... THAT ENDS UP GETTING PICKED OFF!!! 2 points for my friend and that's how I lost by less than .2 for the championship.

2 picks and a TD in the last minute of the game to win it by 0.2pts..... Still hurts to this day.

This thread is awesome! Sometimes it helps the never ending disappointment to write it out. Therapeutic.

I could write a book of these stories but I'll give one each from the last two years. Two years ago, I believe it's week 13 and in my longtime home league, I am already headed to the playoffs and my brother needs a win to get in. You might recall the epic snow bowl between Philly and Detroit? My brother had Reggie Bush who slipped on the field and aggravated his calf about 20 minutes before kickoff. A few people actually send him texts to warn him as he had a couple good bench guys to put in. He never changes his lineup and loses by less than 6 points which any of his backups would have gotten. It turns out he was taking a dump and his toilet overflowed and in the panic to clean everything up, he missed the 1:00 deadline! He lost and didn't make the playoffs. This opened the door for the owner with Jamaal Charles to make the playoffs were he faced me round one. You may recall this was the game Charles obliterated Oakland with 5 TDs! This was a 1pm game and with each TD focking Charles scored, it was like going through the five stages of grief as my team got crushed. The following week, the Charles team gets beat for the title in a crap, low scoring game. My team would have hammered either of them. The fantasy Gods shat upon me that year. I still hammer my brother about the "Flush Heard 'Round the World."

And last year was an epic case of completely shatting upon myself. In my long time 10 team home league, I walked out of the draft with maybe the draft I've ever had. I got Gronk fairly late and drafted Bell in the 6th. Everyone was nervous about him being suspend. I waited on a QB though and so I managed to fleece (or so I thought) the Patriots homer in my league who I snatched Gronk in the 3rd right before his pick. I got him to give me Wilson and Montee Ball for Gronk and some other bum. Then, I traded Bell AND Keenen Allen to the guy who drafted Gio. I just had to have Gio!

Fast forward and despite these dumbazz trades, I make the playoffs because I grabbed Beckham and Anderson of waivers and had drafted Hill late. I also picked up Mason and had Gordon stashed on my bench. I make the playoffs and like the fantasy crack addict I am, I play Mason on Thursday night against Arizona so I could have some "juice" in the game. He gets 1.5 points. So now I'm sweating the next few days in the hole. I'm particularly nervous about playing Wilson against SF. My league, QBs score a lot and I predicted (correctly it would turn out) that he'd have well under 20 points. So...I started Johnny Focking Football. I also put Turd Gordon in at flex over Hill and Ingram. Even with Mason and JFF getting me a combined three points, I only lose by six to the guy I traded Gronk to. Wilson's 15 would have been enough.

The next week my team obliterates the field.

Fock me. This is a much worse beat because I focked myself at every turn.

Among others, last year I made the final. I had one QB on my roster, Jay Cutler. :wall: Guess who was benched for Week 16 last year? Guess who finished in 2nd place last year? Playing the final with no QB is never good. Thanks Trestman. :nono:

I've gone to 7 Super Bowls in the 14yrs of our league, four in a row the last four years. I'm 1-6 and lost by 8 points last year. Nuff said.