Sign in to follow this  
bfros

NFL games without cable?

I cut the cord on cable. Sick of the insane cable bill. But now it's football season. Need to find creative ways to watch NFL games without paying for cable again.

Any clues?

NFL games are on CBS, FOX, ESPN, and NBC.

I know SlingTV has ESPN, but that's it. I live too far out in the sticks to use any kind of antennas (I've tried the Leaf, etc, doesn't pick up anything).

Help? Not interested in weblinks where you can stream games with a super low quality picture with a million pop-ups and hangs, etc.

stop being cheap and get a deal on directv for a year then cancel. Should be able to get sunday tix for free and a decent package for 69.99 or so

I cut cable as well. I have Verizon so I get NFL mobile for 5bucks a month which can stream redzone and the night games. I hook it up to my tv. If hat fails or is too low quality I'm getting cable for a few months. I simply cannot live without redzone channel, period. I wish they would come out with an app for Roku already.

• Like 1

I cut cable as well. I have Verizon so I get NFL mobile for 5bucks a month which can stream redzone and the night games. I hook it up to my tv. If hat fails or is too low quality I'm getting cable for a few months. I simply cannot live without redzone channel, period. I wish they would come out with an app for Roku already.

I've got Verizon too. Talk to me about how nfl mobile works and what exactly I get. I have chromecast. If I can put nfl mobile on my iPad I can cast it to my tv easily.

I got rid of cable a couple of years ago... it was hard at first, had a lot of shows I watched all the time. Have 2 2/3 kids now, so don't have time anyway.

In terms of "home team" games, the only games you miss are the ones that are on NFL Network. Where I'm at, they carry the "home team" over broadcast when it's on ESPN (ABC)... if there's a game I have to watch, and have no other options, I just go to my dad's or brothers.

Still, it's a pain when I'd like to relax on a Sunday night and watch a game - any game, but can't b/c we don't get it.

Have gotten used to it though... as the old saying goes, it's been liberating ;)

I cut the cord on cable. Sick of the insane cable bill. But now it's football season. Need to find creative ways to watch NFL games without paying for cable again.

Any clues?

NFL games are on CBS, FOX, ESPN, and NBC.

I know SlingTV has ESPN, but that's it. I live too far out in the sticks to use any kind of antennas (I've tried the Leaf, etc, doesn't pick up anything).

Help? Not interested in weblinks where you can stream games with a super low quality picture with a million pop-ups and hangs, etc.

You tried the leaf antenna? Try a real outdoor antenna and see if you pick up your channels. If you're within 100 miles of broadcast towers then you can pick them up. The leaf antenna is not a good variable to go off of.

Does Sling TV include your local channels?

Just noticed that the NFL is now offering "NFL Game Pass" for $99.99 for the year (way cheaper than cable) where you can stream every game....but from what I've read, you cannot stream the games live. Is that right? If so, then it's pointless.

I've also heard that you can simply google a matchup on a given day and find a link to stream the game. Does that really work? is there a website that hosts this? Is the quality any good?

I've got Verizon too. Talk to me about how nfl mobile works and what exactly I get. I have chromecast. If I can put nfl mobile on my iPad I can cast it to my tv easily.

It's an app. There's tons of videos and news and show options. You can stream NFL network or redzone and all the prime time games. For 5 bucks a month just try it out, can't hurt.

It's an app. There's tons of videos and news and show options. You can stream NFL network or redzone and all the prime time games. For 5 bucks a month just try it out, can't hurt.

Thanks, I looked this up. Seems like Verizon now offers it at no cost if you go with their More Everything Plan. I have no idea what that plan would cost me, and since they force you to use data to stream games, I'm sure I would annihilate my data plan each sunday.

I think the solution may be to get NFL ticket through Direct TV as on online streaming feature only, which they now offer. That is, you don't have to subscribe to DirecTV to get the NFL ticket. You can now stream it. Looks like it costs $200 total for the full season, or $100 if you are a college student. I can find a college student to hook me up. Can't beat $100 for entire season. I'd stream all the games live from my Ipad and cast them to my TV cause I have Chromecast. Need to call DirecTV to make sure I'm not missing some fine print, but seems like a killer deal.

stop being cheap and get a deal on directv for a year then cancel. Should be able to get sunday tix for free and a decent package for 69.99 or so

Lol @ stop being cheap.

I have a Skystreamx media player. I can stream nearly anything I want to include live TV. It comes with Sports Devil add-on so has tons of live sports available. You don't need to pay for it. No Netflix, no Hulu, no Sling TV. Stop paying for someone else to make content available to you when it is already available to you. Google Skystreamx media player. There are other media players out there. Just make sure you get one that has Xbmc/Kodi

• Like 1

Thanks, I looked this up. Seems like Verizon now offers it at no cost if you go with their More Everything Plan. I have no idea what that plan would cost me, and since they force you to use data to stream games, I'm sure I would annihilate my data plan each sunday.

Whats this now about having to use data? Cant you just bring it up, start streaming then turn data useage off to make sure its just using wifi?

I cut the cord 5 years ago. I'm about 75 miles from Houston. I bought a indoor antenna with 50 mile range for about $65.00 on amazon. I can get all network channels except NBC, but you can stream Sunday night football on nbc.com. This year I added sling tv but that was more for GoT. You can also listen to most all games on the radio for free.

Yea its looking like im just going to have to suck it up and get cable for the football season. I simply cannot live without redzone channel and I dont want to jump through hoops or rig shoddy video quality streams. I need to be able to watch in high def while texting and also using my tablet. You win cable. Until NFL has their own subscription app for roku and the like, cable is the best option sadly.

If you have a good internet speed. Then you don't have to pay for anything, but a good media player. Thought, I made that clear already.

The Redzone channel just may be the greatest thing ever for fantasy football. I watch my Bears game and after that it's the Redzone channel the rest of the day. Then that night it's NBC and ESPN for Monday night. Can't forget the Thursday night game either. I feel like I never miss a game and never have a need for the Sunday Ticket.

If you have a good internet speed. Then you don't have to pay for anything, but a good media player. Thought, I made that clear already.

Redzone channel? I have zero interest in streaming individual games. Thats ancient concept. The only individual games i watch are mnf, snf, tnf.

Redzone channel?

It should be available, but I can double check that tonight.

Found on another forum:

"

• Every single NFL game, including NFL Redzone in multiple qualities and links. Watch NFL on Kodi all season long!"

Why are people so reluctant on this? The moment I learned of Xbmc.Kodi I was ALL over it. I cut my cable cord and don't pay any subscriptions such as Netflix, Hulu or any of that stuff. I mean, if you want to pay for something that you can get without paying, knock yourself out.

I just use web sites to stream anything I want. The quality is dependent on the feed so those of you who need to see it in HD on your 60" will lose out. But for me, it has changed the way I view the games and definitely how much I view. I get the Redzone, though and it's my main channel on Sundays. It is very liberating and I watch on my computer either upstairs or down.

• Like 1

Yea its looking like im just going to have to suck it up and get cable for the football season. I simply cannot live without redzone channel and I dont want to jump through hoops or rig shoddy video quality streams. I need to be able to watch in high def while texting and also using my tablet. You win cable. Until NFL has their own subscription app for roku and the like, cable is the best option sadly.

Don't get cable. I just spent $100 for the NFL sunday ticket (with the college student discount). I don't have DirecTV...this is just the streaminig option, but you get redzone and all the individual games except the one in your local market. You said you have a tablet. You can watch redzone and all games on your tablet, or spend $30 for Chromecast and cast it to your tv so you can watch on the big screen and use your tablet for other things. If you're gonna pay $, this is the best option, I think. There free ways like Maulers1973 is talking about, but I'm not tech savvy and don't trust my skills to navigate the Kodi type sites.

Go here for the $100 deal (for students). You just need to find a currently enrolled college student a 4 year university and ask for their birthday. that's it. No email or anything else. Otherwise you pay $200. Even if you pay $200 for the entire NFL season, that's a much better deal than ordering cable.

https://nflst.directv.com

Just Google Skystreamx. It comes pre-loaded with all the add-ons to include Sportsdevil. The information is available.

Also, I have access to every TV show known to man.

I have access to every movie out there. 95% of the movies are availalbe in HD.

Not sure if Redzone and other stuff is HD. A lot of live content is not. However, I did stream the HOF game the other night and it was in HD and looked just fine on my 65" screen.

I have a Skystreamx media player. I can stream nearly anything I want to include live TV. It comes with Sports Devil add-on so has tons of live sports available. You don't need to pay for it. No Netflix, no Hulu, no Sling TV. Stop paying for someone else to make content available to you when it is already available to you. Google Skystreamx media player. There are other media players out there. Just make sure you get one that has Xbmc/Kodi

You don't even need to buy that box. Just install Kodi on your laptop/PC and steam it to your TV. Done and done.

• Like 1

You don't even need to buy that box. Just install Kodi on your laptop/PC and steam it to your TV. Done and done.

True, but one of the guys indicated he was looking for something simple.

Im looking into this. I do have a laptop so id need an hdmi out to get it to the tv.

Don't get cable. I just spent $100 for the NFL sunday ticket (with the college student discount). I don't have DirecTV...this is just the streaminig option, but you get redzone and all the individual games except the one in your local market. You said you have a tablet. You can watch redzone and all games on your tablet, or spend $30 for Chromecast and cast it to your tv so you can watch on the big screen and use your tablet for other things. If you're gonna pay $, this is the best option, I think. There free ways like Maulers1973 is talking about, but I'm not tech savvy and don't trust my skills to navigate the Kodi type sites.

Also will keep this in mind. I use an hdmi adaptor to mirror the ipad to the tv, so maybe that would work?

It seems odd that something like this Skystreamx system is legal. I'm not saying that it is illegal, just seems like it should be.

It seems odd that something like this Skystreamx system is legal. I'm not saying that it is illegal, just seems like it should be.

Absolutely nothing illegal about it. As stated, there are other boxes, but the nice thing about this one is it has all the add-ons and sources built into it. I'm not tech savvy so I would probably struggle to put a box together. That's why I liked that it was all set up and ready to roll.

I just don't see how you can watch live NFL games or any live sports without paying for it. Sports entertainment is the most expensive thing on TV and I can't see them allowing people access to it for free on some devices. Just seems odd to me.

I just don't see how you can watch live NFL games or any live sports without paying for it. Sports entertainment is the most expensive thing on TV and I can't see them allowing people access to it for free on some devices. Just seems odd to me.

In fact, a friend of mine watched the Paquiao/Mayweather fight live and didn't pay a nickel for it even though it was a PPV event. I don't know all the technical details, but the source is able to make the content available. Once it is made available then others are able to view it. There is no subscription or fee.

The Yankees have a billion dollar deal with their cable company for broadcast rights of the games. Yet, MLB makes it available online to stream for free. I can watch any Yankees game that I want for free via the MLB stream.

In fact, a friend of mine watched the Paquiao/Mayweather fight live and didn't pay a nickel for it even though it was a PPV event. I don't know all the technical details, but the source is able to make the content available. Once it is made available then others are able to view it. There is no subscription or fee.

The Yankees have a billion dollar deal with their cable company for broadcast rights of the games. Yet, MLB makes it available online to stream for free. I can watch any Yankees game that I want for free via the MLB stream.

The "technical details" is that the "source" is rebroadcasting the PPV or sports event illegally. That box you've talked about is just a XBMC/Kodi box in a nice neat package. That taps into the (usually) overseas stream of NFL games. Someone rebroadcasts over the internet and the NFL and/or ISPs look to shut down the streams as they happen.

Whether or not YOU are doing something illegal by watching is iffy at best, especially since you are not uploading or sharing the stream back into the grid. But, you may have some ethical issues about watching a pirated stream. I do find your ignorance on how you magically get all the Yankees games for free quite adorable.

• Like 1

If it's so illegal, then how is it that they are able to sell them in established retail outlets. In my home state marijuanna is illegal. Therefore, I can't buy it from a brick and mortar store.

If it's so illegal, then how is it that they are able to sell them in established retail outlets. In my home state marijuanna is illegal. Therefore, I can't buy it from a brick and mortar store.

Weed is not legal but you can buy a bong and some pipes and rolling papers. I think thats a similar situation. the box is the bong...

The device you are watching it on is not the problem, it's the apps that are streaming the content. It seems they may be streaming content illegally which makes no difference to you but I'm assuming they get shut down at some point. It is illegal to rebroadcast protected content without consent from the company and they would probably have to have some kind of contract with them and pay some kind of fees.

So, it doesn't sound like anything you are doing wrong or even the software you are using but the apps that are streaming the content to you may be doing something illegal. It's no different than me broadcasting or streaming my programming from home to everyone in my town.

Weed is not legal but you can buy a bong and some pipes and rolling papers. I think thats a similar situation. the box is the bong...

This is a great example actually.

Guys cancel cable and spend 2 grand on fantasy games.

If you cancel cable you are one of

Cheap

No job

Shitty job

Or homeless

Go here for the $100 deal (for students). You just need to find a currently enrolled college student a 4 year university and ask for their birthday. that's it. No email or anything else. Otherwise you pay $200. Even if you pay $200 for the entire NFL season, that's a much better deal than ordering cable.

https://nflst.directv.com

Just checked it out. Its 200 for the basic tablet or phone option and that doesnt include redzone channel. Only the max package has redzone and its $350. No thanks. Your gonna be sorely dissapointed if you thought the $200 package included RZC.

Guys cancel cable and spend 2 grand on fantasy games.

If you cancel cable you are one of

Cheap

No job

Shitty job

Or homeless

Not really fair. Its expensive after the promo period and alot of people simply dont watch cable channels enough to warrant it. I should keep cable even tho i never watch it just to live up to an image of status symbol? There are tons of nitpicky things people whine about spending money on that they shouldnt but this isnt one of them. Cable as a concept is hanging on by a thread. If the nfl came out with an app instead of being tied to expensive cable packages, cable would prob die. Its like well known as the most evil service there is, you might be the only one defending it iv seen in years.

That said, its looking like imma have to sign up. I have attuverse so maybe they can squeeze me into a tv package on the cheap. Too bad those evil focks tie the redzone into a certain set of channels so you need to have that specific package, THEN you can add it on.

Not really fair. Its expensive after the promo period and alot of people simply dont watch cable channels enough to warrant it. I should keep cable even tho i never watch it just to live up to an image of status symbol? There are tons of nitpicky things people whine about spending money on that they shouldnt but this isnt one of them. Cable as a concept is hanging on by a thread. If the nfl came out with an app instead of being tied to expensive cable packages, cable would prob die. Its like well known as the most evil service there is, you might be the only one defending it iv seen in years.

That said, its looking like imma have to sign up. I have attuverse so maybe they can squeeze me into a tv package on the cheap. Too bad those evil focks tie the redzone into a certain set of channels so you need to have that specific package, THEN you can add it on.

Sorry cable doesn't cost enough to take a stand and refuse to pay unless you are in the categories I mentioned and most likely single with no kids.

It's simply not THAT expensive to have to scheme a stream everything you want to watch on a little laptop that keeps bufferning. I like to use my HDTV

Do you use the neighbors Wifi or go to Starbucks to access the internet too?