Sign in to follow this  
BobSanders_33

With mid round RB mess WR/WR less appealing?

I'm sitting in the 8th spot of my draft and for the past month considered doing WR/WR to start (nonppr). I felt like I could get RB value in the next two or three rounds. Then....

Foster goes down meaning one less reliable RB bumping everyone up.

Randle looks like "the guy" and McFadden comes back and clouds everything again.

Stewart's offense takes a major hit with Benjamins injury.

CJ?k further clouds Andre Ellingtons value.

King Ameer screams up draft boards.

Spiller gets a small injury and misses time.

Crowell can't nail down the job.

At this point it seems like the after the top RBs it gets very hard to figure out the value of the lesser ones. Of course if you hit on your targets it turns out nice put it seems like more of a gamble than it was a few weeks ago.

I'm struggling with this a bit as well. Tier 3 and 4 RB's all look the same and no one really excites me. I can typically find a few guys I'd be happy with from tier 3 and 4, but at this point, they all look like :blink: . At the same time, tier 4 and 5 WR's look the same way.

I either need to do a bit more research, or just say eff it, drink heavily on draft days, and see how I feel about things when I look at my teams the next morning to see who I drafted.

To me, this is the everyday argument for the RB position in general. It doesn't matter if it's a top 5 RB or mid round RB. It's all a crap shoot with this position.

After the first couple of RBs go you are pretty much playing a guessing game. With all the RBBC the teams with the first couple of picks are going to have the advantage. They will still get good value at every other position but their RBs are going to be a lot better. The drop off this year for RBs are going to be a lot more than the drop off for WRs

Again a lot easier to chase wr late in the draft than it is rb . Don't really see any reason to go wr/ wr in a non ppr league .

Don't discard your strategy. Target 3 straight backs in rounds 3-5. You'll be looking at guys like Miller, Jennings, Hyde, Stewart, Murray, Coleman and Abdullah. A couple of those guys will hit big. And with your strong receivers, that's all you'll need. Even if they don't you can always find backs on the waiver wire after the draft. A good third of the starting backs at the end of last year weren't even drafted in most drafts. CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Asiata, Blount, Stewart, etc.

• Like 1

Again a lot easier to chase wr late in the draft than it is rb . Don't really see any reason to go wr/ wr in a non ppr league .

I disagree. I plan to wr/wr and then go 4 rbs. Not exactly a zero rb strategy. Two stud wr's are hard to get. With a mediocre rb you can have a good idea when a good game is a strong possibility. Last year for instance when a Rashad Jennings type was playing Jax you had a good feeling. With a mediocre wr you never really know when his good game is coming. Two mediocre wr's can't be streamed to be as good as a stud wr because you don't know when a good game is coming.

A roster of something like(Dez/Julio). (Cal/Jordy), then Gore, Stewart, RJennings, Ivory with a late round stash of Foster should give me ample rb ammo to kind of stream rb's against feable D's. I will need to check the schedules but I will prioritize to get tasty matchups early and then late during playoffs..

Plus with rb's you can also be in the waiver wire rb lottery. A waiver wire rb routinely pops up and can make a difference. Not so much with wr's. And it is harder to tell with wr's if they are legit or a flash in the pan.

I want at least 2 stud wr's.

• Like 1

I am glad this was brought up because it was something I thought about recently. I had my draft recently and went WR/WR in the first two rounds of a keeper league. As the draft progressed I was shocked at the uncertainly surrounding the RB position. Most teams, I'd almost 50%, don't have a clear cut starter. As the OP said, the mid-tier RB situation is an absolute cluster.

Crowell doesn't have the feel of an everyday back, and I think Duke Johnson takes over the lead role within the first 5 weeks.

Blount will get his share, but do you really think Bill will forget about Jonas Gray and his stellar performances?

What a mess for the Giants. They have Vereen, Jennings and A. Williams. Keep in mind Williams was a sexy sleeper pick last year and finished among the top 10 RBs in red-zone rushing attempts last season. How does he fit in?

The Coleman vs. Freeman debate feels a never-ending story.

Bishop Sankey is the incumbant starter, but apparently David Cobb is having a stellar camp.

As someone else mentioned, they wouldn't bring in Chris Johnson for (potential $2 sheets) to back up Ellington. Ellington was another sexy pick that flamed out last year.

Jeremy Hill is a top 10 back, he played well for 8 games. Bernand was drafted as a top-12 back, and former first round pick. You think they'll just let him sit?

I could go on, but I think everyone gets the point. What is everyone's strategy in filtering out this information?

I disagree. I plan to wr/wr and then go 4 rbs. Not exactly a zero rb strategy. Two stud wr's are hard to get. With a mediocre rb you can have a good idea when a good game is a strong possibility. Last year for instance when a Rashad Jennings type was playing Jax you had a good feeling. With a mediocre wr you never really know when his good game is coming. Two mediocre wr's can't be streamed to be as good as a stud wr because you don't know when a good game is coming.

A roster of something like(Dez/Julio). (Cal/Jordy), then Gore, Stewart, RJennings, Ivory with a late round stash of Foster should give me ample rb ammo to kind of stream rb's against feable D's. I will need to check the schedules but I will prioritize to get tasty matchups early and then late during playoffs..

Plus with rb's you can also be in the waiver wire rb lottery. A waiver wire rb routinely pops up and can make a difference. Not so much with wr's. And it is harder to tell with wr's if they are legit or a flash in the pan.

I want at least 2 stud wr's.

I'm glad that's works for you , but not for me I always find it easier to chase wr's later in the draft than to find a rb .

Don't discard your strategy. Target 3 straight backs in rounds 3-5. You'll be looking at guys like Miller, Jennings, Hyde, Stewart, Murray, Coleman and Abdullah. A couple of those guys will hit big. And with your strong receivers, that's all you'll need. Even if they don't you can always find backs on the waiver wire after the draft. A good third of the starting backs at the end of last year weren't even drafted in most drafts. CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Asiata, Blount, Stewart, etc.

This will likely be how I draft if I go all or mostly BPA at the 10 spot. A ton of mocks I've done have me going WR/WR and then RBs heavily (like 4-5 total) in the middle rounds. And either taking Gronk very early or waiting til the end for a different TE (like Eifert or Allen).

However I've done some mocks where I went WR/WR and then RBs went a lot quicker in rounds 3-7 too, and I was stuck drafting fewer RBs I was confident about. So there's some risk to hoping you can stack too.

I posted this on another thread, but having the 10 of 10 spot in a $100 pay league, I went J. Jones and C. Johnson in rounds 1/2 then was able to draft AlfMo/Ingram in 3/4. L. Murray, Gordon, Ellington, Hyde, Randle all went after my next set of picks so I could have went with any of them instead. My backup RBs were 7.10 Foster 8.1 Spiller (only b/c I have Ingram otherwise wouldn't have reached so soon) 12.1 D. Freeman and instead of drafting a Defense I was able to grab at 15.10 D. Williams so in an easier to read format:

Quick note league starts: 1QB 2RBs 3WRs 1 TE 1K 1D non-PPR standard scoring

WR

1.10 J. Jones

2.1 C. Johnson

RB

3.10 A. Morris

4.1 M. Ingram

7.10 Foster

8.1 Spiller

12.1 D. Freeman

15.10 D. Williams

Point is, if you go WR/WR you can end up, with some decent RBs even though you don't draft any of the studs.

I think the RB position falls off REALLY quickly. Lat Murray is about the only mid rounder I really like (with Chris Ivory and Tre Mason a bit later).

But in a PPR league, you can find decent ones later. Woodhead and Vereen to name a couple.