Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

My Burrito woes. Struggles and frustration from a San Diegan.

Burritos have become a very controversial topic for me. Quick geographical reference, 5 years ago I moved from the San Fran Bay Area to San Diego. There is a fact that is indisputable to people in the know...The Bay Area makes the best burritos, period. I didn't fully appreciate this til I moved away, and Iv been sad ever since. The star attraction here is the California burrito which is just a burrito with fries in it. I'll pass.

To explain what makes the bay the best, you need to know what a "Mission style burrito" is. You can google it but It's simply a burrito that can have rice and beans along with guac and sour cream. Usually the guac/cream addition is called a "super" burrito. It's known far and wide as the country, if not the worlds best burrito. When you order a burrito down here, let's say a chicken and cheese burrito, all you get is chicken and cheese. Also it's usually terrible chicken. Sometimes I can get pico de gallo or guac but it just lacks...something. A good burrito needs to come wrapped tightly in foil, yet here you usually get this lame paper wrap. Even when you go out of your way to have them include the mission style ingredients (which usually jacks the price up to around ten bucks.) it just doesn't have the right taste. Lacks the proper,..soul if you will.

I'm dead serious when I tell you the closest thing to a good burrito I have had in San Diego (Iv tried dozens) is from Chipotle or Taco Bell. I'd kill a small family with my bare hands to have a Burrito from Gordo taqueria in the Bay Area again. I think I'm doomed, destined to go without a proper burrito. One of my once most favorite foods is now a sore subject for me and dissapointment wherever I go. Worst of all is people are terrible judges of burritos on Yelp so everyone rates their local joint as the best. Woe is me.

it is different. i grew up about 5 blocks from the original gordos and love them (have had many around mission street as well). That being said, i went to college in san diego and loved robertos and nicos as well. when i am here i crave robertos. when there, i craved gordos. you could be in much worse places to find a burrito.

edit: i had about 15 year gap between trips to san diego. we did a family trip a few years back and the carne asada was consistently over-salted.

Why don't you just eat trash?

:D

Without a doubt, the best burritos are in Denver. Breakfast burritos are a staple.

Now, your run of the mill Denverite will tell you Santiagos is the best. They are very, very good.

But Good Times takes Santiagos green chile (which they readily advertise) and mix it properly with cheese and your choice of sausage, bacon, or chorizo.

Phillip Rivers cries in the face of the Denver burrito dominance.

Does San Diego have an El Cholo?

cho·lo
ˈCHōlō/
noun
  1. a Latin American with Indian blood; a mestizo.
    • USinformaloffensive
      a lower-class Mexican resturant, especially in an urban area.
    • US
      a teenage boy, especially in a Mexican-American community, who is a member of a street gang.

:dunno:

Wiffle went out for a burrito the other night. He didn't say if it was good.

:clap:

I'm going to hell for laughing at this.

cho·lo

ˈCHōlō/

noun

•  

a Latin American with Indian blood; a mestizo.

•  

US[/size]informaloffensive

a lower-class Mexican resturant, especially in an urban area.

•  

US[/size]

a teenage boy, especially in a Mexican-American community, who is a member of a street gang.

:dunno:

I didn't name the place, jackass.

I know I'm going to take flack for this, but I just don't like burritos. I like soft tacos and I like fajitas, but I'm just not a fan of burritos. And especially not breakfast burritos

You are upset because you can't get burritos with cheap-ass rice and beans stuffed in them instead of real food? Have you tried Chipotle?

Seriously though, you are pissing distance from Mexico. Go to Old Town and find some authentic burritos. :dunno:

Seriously though, you are pissing distance from Mexico. Go to Old Town and find some authentic burritos. :dunno:

I only wish this were the case. Burritos are not a Mexican food, they are an American invention. If you go to Mexico and order a burrito sometimes they don't even know what your talking about. Similar to Chicken Tikka Masala which uses Indian food but is an entirely British dish that people in India have mostly never eaten. But yes the ingredients found within can be had at authentic places and Iv had many. Old town San Diego has some amazing places to eat.

I only wish this were the case. Burritos are not a Mexican food, they are an American invention. If you go to Mexico and order a burrito sometimes they don't even know what your talking about. Similar to Chicken Tikka Masala which uses Indian food but is an entirely British dish that people in India have mostly never eaten. But yes the ingredients found within can be had at authentic places and Iv had many. Old town San Diego has some amazing places to eat.

Fair point that the burrito is an American adaptation. But in the end it is a tortilla wrapped a different way; in Phoenix there are plenty of small places which have adapted their authentic taco etc. fillings into a burrito. Hell, they love doing it because rice and beans are free$#@! In fact, my complaint is finding places which don't cram their burritos full of that crap. :dunno:

I'm dead serious when I tell you the closest thing to a good burrito I have had in San Diego (Iv tried dozens) is from Chipotle or Taco Bell.

Are you counting Adalberto's as subpar? They're a small inland Nor Cal franchise with one location in SD. Their Super carne asada

It seems like their California burrito (most popular) has 30% more potatoes in it than it did 4 years ago.

Are you counting Adalberto's as subpar? They're a small inland Nor Cal franchise with one location in SD. Their Super carne asada

It seems like their California burrito (most popular) has 30% more potatoes in it than it did 4 years ago.

That was weird; I clicked on the "link" and it downloaded the pic to my computer. We can do that? I'd rather not get my computer all virused from you mooks. :unsure:

Anyway, burrito looks yummy. :thumbsup:

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they add more potato, because that is free like rice and beans.

I know I'm going to take flack for this, but I just don't like burritos. I like soft tacos and I like fajitas, but I'm just not a fan of burritos. And especially not breakfast burritos

You've never had the perfect mix of sausage, egg, cheese, and green chile.

Why don't you just eat trash?

Without a doubt, the best burritos are in Denver. Breakfast burritos are a staple.

Now, your run of the mill Denverite will tell you Santiagos is the best. They are very, very good.

But Good Times takes Santiagos green chile (which they readily advertise) and mix it properly with cheese and your choice of sausage, bacon, or chorizo.

Phillip Rivers cries in the face of the Denver burrito dominance.

Santiagos is nice because you can pick them up in gas stations in the morning and other places as well. From an actual sit down breakfast burrito, the options at Sams #3 are awesome. Green chili makes everything better.

Santiagos is nice because you can pick them up in gas stations in the morning and other places as well. From an actual sit down breakfast burrito, the options at Sams #3 are awesome. Green chili makes everything better.

Which Sam's you go to?

I have a body sculpted by beer and burritos.

I started making my own years ago - Chipolte is too far away and while Taco Hell is 5 blocks away I decided it is crap and make my own. Every once in a while I'll go to TB and get a few items and grab a bunch of their sauces and I do crave them once in a while.

Mentioned it before - I have a condiment / sauce addiction. Not a healthy addiction.

I can do one better - I'm Hispanic and I don't even like them. Hell, nobody in my family really does, nor are they a big player with Hispanics in general here. Usually when you see someone eating a burrito - they're white.

I can do one better - I'm Hispanic and I don't even like them. Hell, nobody in my family really does, nor are they a big player with Hispanics in general here. Usually when you see someone eating a burrito - they're white.

But it is the same tortilla, just wrapped differently. :dunno:

You guys should meat

I'd meat MHD. He's cool.

I've offered to meet wiff but we'd likely end up in an epic bar fight.

Some point, I need to meet toofy and nzoner. Haven't made it happen even though toofy's been begging me for a decade.

I'd meat MHD. He's cool.

Some point, I need to meet toofy and nzoner. Haven't made it happen even though toofy's been begging me for a decade.

You should meet up with Wiffleball. Let us know how MCMurphy, Cheswick and Martini are doing. But don't piss off Nurse Ratchet.

You should meet up with Wiffleball. Let us know how MCMurphy, Cheswick and Martini are doing. But don't piss off Nurse Ratchet.

Wiff is incredibly intelligent and able. His last job was insane.

He's dealt with unfortunate family stuff and has manned up even though it's cost him tens of thousands of $ and who knows what on his psyche.

I know this and I ain't even friends with the fock.

He craps guys like you. You can lay off the guy a bit.

Wiff is incredibly intelligent and able. His last job was insane.

He's dealt with unfortunate family stuff and has manned up even though it's cost him tens of thousands of $ and who knows what on his psyche.

I know this and I ain't even friends with the fock.

He craps guys like you. You can lay off the guy a bit.

Oh really? Well, I've had more than my share of tragedy in my life, so no tear drops here. that doesn't mean I get a pass for being an a-hole, and neither does he.

Oh really? Well, I've had more than my share of tragedy in my life

Like being exposed as a fraud on a lightly trafficked message board?

I'd meat MHD. He's cool.

Ya who knew we lived so close. Wiff seems like he would make for some good times as well.

Ya who knew we lived so close. Wiff seems like he would make for some good times as well.

You prolly live in my old apts. We should get a couple at the Bull on Friday.

There once was a man named Tantastic

Bad burritos left his colon spastic

woman thought he's a dreamer

Left with a cleveland steamer

And rantings far less than fantastic