Sign in to follow this  
thisdman

Stopping the NE offense

Why can't anyone figure out how to stop the Pats. offense? It seems like 90% of their pass plays are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It's been going on for years and no one can stop it. It drives me nuts. What gives?

Here's a suggestion. I would take 4 offensive lineman and put them on defense. I would line them up on the line of scrimmage directly in front of Edelman and Gronk and tell them to block. Next I would take 4 more offensive lineman and put them 5 yards behind these guys in case the first 2 miss their blocks. I don't really care what you do with the other 3 guys you have on defense just so long as you stop that damn 4 yard pass.

Why can't anyone figure out how to stop the Pats. offense? It seems like 90% of their pass plays are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It's been going on for years and no one can stop it. It drives me nuts. What gives?

Here's a suggestion. I would take 4 offensive lineman and put them on defense. I would line them up on the line of scrimmage directly in front of Edelman and Gronk and tell them to block. Next I would take 4 more offensive lineman and put them 5 yards behind these guys in case the first 2 miss their blocks. I don't really care what you do with the other 3 guys you have on defense just so long as you stop that damn 4 yard pass.

The Giants showed how it's done. Knock the crap out of Brady.

If you can get to Brady, you disrupt everything - but if you commit to going after him and can't - he will shred you. It's a risk reward proposition and most lose.

Everything NE does is predicated on match ups and Brady reading the defense to exploit those match ups.

Before the ball is snapped, Brady knows where he has advantages and weaknesses - he does not snap the ball into a bad play call. And because he's prepared, the ball is out quickly - 3steps, 2seconds, 1... 2... 3... Completion.

It is efficient and lethal once the hurry up pace starts and fatigue/confusion enters into the equation.

When Tom and his whiteys are on fire, there is no stopping them.

Post of the Season so far

But I just started positing again

Here's a suggestion. I would take 4 offensive lineman

also, this is part of it too...

everyone except NE is stupid... dumb... from you with your 4 O-linemen on defense to Eli and his "don't score" plan to Pete Carrol throwing it on the 1, to Mike Tomlin using the sneaky 10 defensive players formation and not covering Gronk...

Everyone in the NFL, except for Belichick and NE, is stupid - they do stupid stuff, they make stupid plays, they call stupid plays, they manage the clock stupidly, they say stupid stuff before the game, they say stupid stuff after the game - and NE just waits for you to be stupid and then jams your stupidity up your azz.

Yesterday in BUF, the Guinness book of world records was there - The Bills set the record for most stupid penalties, the kind that are basically turnovers. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

My HS coach use to say he didnt care if you called the play out loud, if you block it and execute it right a play is designed to beat the def.

NE takes it to another level with the short pass... The WR knows the pattern and the D back has to react to it. If the timing and accuracy is there there really is little to stop it

Yesterday in BUF, the Guinness book of world records was there - The Bills set the record for most stupid penalties, the kind that are basically turnovers. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

You didn't see the Bears, or Philly-Dallas, did you?

People have trouble stopping the Pats because:

1) they have an accurate, smart QB

2) they have great possession guys who aren't blazing fast but can get open by being quick in short spaces (counting Gronk in there)

3) they have guys who aren't great but are decent enough that if you let them get behind you, they will catch what Brady throws, so you can't just jam the quick possession guys

4) they have enough not great but decent backs they can rotate through the game and pound at you just to make sure you don't sell out completely for the pass

5) they have a respectable O-line.

Find a team like that, and you find a team that others have trouble stopping on offense. Seattle and Green Bay have at least all of those, and people have trouble stopping them too.

If you can get to Brady, you disrupt everything - but if you commit to going after him and can't - he will shred you. It's a risk reward proposition and most lose.

Everything NE does is predicated on match ups and Brady reading the defense to exploit those match ups.

Before the ball is snapped, Brady knows where he has advantages and weaknesses - he does not snap the ball into a bad play call. And because he's prepared, the ball is out quickly - 3steps, 2seconds, 1... 2... 3... Completion.

It is efficient and lethal once the hurry up pace starts and fatigue/confusion enters into the equation.

Agreed.

and you need your front 4 to be able to do it without blitzing. (or front 3 with the option of a fourth to go after the QB)

If you need to blitz to get to him, you will leave areas open and he will shred you just the same.

Blitz is better left as a surprise. if you do it every play, they will figure you out sooner or later.

Blitz is better left as a surprise. if you do it every play, they will figure you out sooner or later.

DCs need to just deal their defensive play calls randomly, like poker hands. As soon as one call goes in, deal out the next call. "Okay, and on second down, we're...nickel package!"

everyone except NE is stupid... dumb... from you with your 4 O-linemen on defense to Eli and his "don't score" plan to Pete Carrol throwing it on the 1, to Mike Tomlin using the sneaky 10 defensive players formation and not covering Gronk...

Everyone in the NFL, except for Belichick and NE, is stupid - they do stupid stuff, they make stupid plays, they call stupid plays, they manage the clock stupidly, they say stupid stuff before the game, they say stupid stuff after the game - and NE just waits for you to be stupid and then jams your stupidity up your azz.

:first:

:first:

to Ben Roethlisburger not understanding that defensive linemen can shift pre-snap, to John Harbaugh not understanding the ineligible receiver rules...

People get so angry and perplexed over NE constantly winning - how??? NE doesn't have JJ Watt. NE Doesn't have Adrian Peterson, NE doesn't Calvin Johnson - how do they win without all the superstars!!?? They must be cheating!!!

And it really comes down to this: they are smarter than their opponents. they are more prepared than their opponents.

This is so overlooked and under-rated.

There is parity in the NFL - every team has the same amount of physical "talent" (pretty much).

Jay Cutler probably throws a football further than Tom Brady... heck, Tyrod Taylor might throw a ball further than Tom Brady - and both Jay and Tyrod probably run faster than Tom Brady too... but they have no idea what the fock they are looking at when they stare at the defense before snapping the ball... and what's even better about NE is that not only does Tom Brady know what he's looking at - every player on NE knows, they are required to know - and if they've made a career of simply being faster, bigger, and stronger than the opponent but stil can't "figure it out" the way NE requires, then they leave to play somewhere else or retire.

to Ben Roethlisburger not understanding that defensive linemen can shift pre-snap, to John Harbaugh not understanding the ineligible receiver rules...

People get so angry and perplexed over NE constantly winning - how??? NE doesn't have JJ Watt. NE Doesn't have Adrian Peterson, NE doesn't Calvin Johnson - how do they win without all the superstars!!?? They must be cheating!!!

And it really comes down to this: they are smarter than their opponents. they are more prepared than their opponents.

There is parity in the NFL - every team has the same amount of physical "talent" (pretty much).

Jay Cutler probably throws a football further than Tom Brady... heck, Tyrod Taylor might throw a ball further than Tom Brady - and both Jay and Tyrod probably run faster than Tom Brady too... but they have no idea what the fock they are looking at when they stare at the defense before snapping the ball... and what's even better about NE is that not only does Tom Brady know what he's looking at - every player on NE knows, they are required to know - and if they've made a career of simply being faster, bigger, and stronger than the opponent but stil can't "figure it out" the way NE requires, then they leave to play somewhere else or retire.

pretty soon being smarter will be a form of cheating. :overhead:

Tom Coughlin- Patriot Kryptonite.

It's easy: Coaching + Tom Brady.

Yesterday they were starting three (THREE!!!) rookie offensive linemen against possibly the best defensive line in the league (sorry Giants, you are has-beens), and yet Brady had a fantastic day and hardly ever felt pressure. Because they had a great game plan and a mastermind executing it. You just can't top that.

It's easy: Coaching + Tom Brady.

Yesterday they were starting three (THREE!!!) rookie offensive linemen against possibly the best defensive line in the league (sorry Giants, you are has-beens), and yet Brady had a fantastic day and hardly ever felt pressure. You just can't top that.

Truth. Brady is now matchup proof and an every week must start if they can slap around that defense like that. What argument can you make to sit Brady going forward in any other game?

Tom Coughlin- Patriot Kryptonite.

too bad NE isn't in your Division.

too bad you couldn't make it to the SB every year like NE does.

too bad NE isn't in your Division.

too bad you couldn't make it to the SB every year like NE does.

I know. That division is a minefield every year. What with QB'S through the years like Sanchez and Fitzpatrick and EJ Manuel it's a wonder how the Pats win so much.

Why are you calling me stupid? As far as I can tell you are the only one that didn't recognize my original post was hyperbole (you might want to look that word up).

Why are you calling me stupid? As far as I can tell you are the only one that didn't recognize my original post was hyperbole (you might want to look that word up).

:dunno: lighten up Francis...

HyberBole (HyperBowl) - an exaggeration of excuses by teams that lose to NE, often in the SuperBowl.

ex. There was lots of hyperbole over the air pressure in the ball.

It was hyperbole to suggest that NE's formation was illegal.

In his typical hyperbolic fashion, Rex Ryan predicted a win over NE.

:thumbsup:

Why are you calling me stupid?

Because neither side of the Patriots are good/Patriots cheat debate can manage to find the 'little of column A, little of column B' multiple choice answer.

How long you think it will everyone to figure out how the Pats are cheating to win this year? :dunno: :sleep:

Silly rabbit. Cheaters don't always cheat. That makes it too easy to get caught. The best cheaters, the real geniuses, only cheat some of the time. It's even better to cheat when you're already really good, to make it easier to explain away. :)

Silly rabbit. Cheaters don't always cheat. That makes it too easy to get caught. The best cheaters, the real geniuses, only cheat some of the time. It's even better to cheat when you're already really good, to make it easier to explain away. :)

shhhhhh :D

Totally agree. Coaching wins and makes things look easy. The system allows 3 rookie lineman and a guy out of the league as the main ball carrier. It allowed Matt Cassel look like a good QB. They have talent but nobody can say they have more talent than a lot of other team.

Bill says Fock it I am not going to run the ball this week. The following he may use 3 TE and run a nobody RB like Jonas Gray 100 times

Every other team will stick to their normal looks

Brady on pace for 56 tds.

All people talked about alllll week was how great bills passing D was. Sure no problem will throw it 60 times against them and shred them. Take notes.

When Tom and his whiteys are on fire, there is no stopping them.

By "whiteys", do you mean his undershorts or his receivers?

By "whiteys", do you mean his undershorts or his receivers?

He only throws to white guys so obviously I mean the wrs. Any good black wr gets run out of town.

He only throws to white guys so obviously I mean the wrs. Any good black wr gets run out of town.

thats because it requires intelligence to play WR for the Patriots :dunno: :music_guitarred: