Sign in to follow this  
rrmcguire

Lost game on Blocked extra point Sunday night

I did too. He had Hilton and Jamie Collins going; the Whalen TD appeared to seal it for me up by 3.7 points unless there was an ONSIDE kick recovered; NEVER even thought of the 4 points for a blocked XP! I blame Belichick and the Patriots; if they could have just ran some FRIGGING clock in the last 6 minutes, it wouldn't even have been close!!! :nono:

It's a DAMN conspiracy!!!! :shocking:

Yeah that's tough. My opponent would have tied the game and have the tiebreaker had they made it. I'm guessing a lot of people got screwed over on that play. That was a pretty sweet block though...

Should this not have been a pentaly based on the leaping rule the NFL has... where you can't run forward and jump..

Leaping to block a kick may be illegal under Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(q) of the NFL rules. Article 1 of Section 3 lists all acts that the NFL considers to be unsportsmanlike conduct, which includes, “Running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or (extra point) …” Players lined up within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped are exempt from the leaping penalty. The NCAA has a similarly worded rule that applies to college football, although the college penalty is considered a personal foul.

Should this not have been a pentaly based on the leaping rule the NFL has... where you can't run forward and jump..

Leaping to block a kick may be illegal under Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(q) of the NFL rules. Article 1 of Section 3 lists all acts that the NFL considers to be unsportsmanlike conduct, which includes, “Running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or (extra point) …” Players lined up within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped are exempt from the leaping penalty. The NCAA has a similarly worded rule that applies to college football, although the college penalty is considered a personal foul.

I don't want to play rules-lawyer here... you probably can argue that anything is legal or illegal if you want to start playing debate with the rule book.

Kevin, do you think it should be illegal?

From a sports/athletics/competition stand-point - it seems absurd to me that running, jumping, or leaping to block a kick would be illegal. I can understand and agree with the "no using other player to assist" a leap or jump. I can understand not making contact with offensive blockers while leaping. But the game is about athleticism, awareness, timing, speed, strength - and that blocked kick may be one of the best/smartest athletic plays you'll ever find. I'm wholeheartedly against removing that from football.

Jumping isn't illegal.... taking a running start and jumping is.... And does it matter what I think.... I think Freeman catch and fall into the endzone and then lose the ball should be a touchdown... I think IND recovered that on side kick last night... there a lot of things I think that are called opposite.

And does it matter what I think....

sure it does.

The game is already bloated with rules analysis, reviews, etc. The rules and reviews are, in many ways, ruining the game or at the very least changing it drastically. We now have Dean Blandino as part of the broadcast crew!

I'd like to see the "rules" simplified- -let great athletes play and stop with the over-analysis, over-rules/reviews of every single snap.

As a football fan, I don't want to see the league's rule-book stop players from making great athletic plays like that.

Do you think that play should be illegal? If so, why? I'll certainly listen to a well thought out defense of the rule.

If running and jumping is illegal then all receivers and DBs should be penalized. Not mention all the RBs who run and try to jump over defenders. That's more dangerous than what happened last night

(p) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(q) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

® Picking up a teammate to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(s) Running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Running start and/or jumping over is only illegal if he touches another player on the line or if they are standing. Perfectly legal if he clears them while they are still crouched.

Nice cherry picking there Kevin. Way to not include all the info in an attempt to make it look like they did something illegal lol

NEVER even thought of the 4 points for a blocked XP! I blame Belichick and the Patriots

I'd blame the rule settings in your league more than anything else. Minus 4 for a missed extra point? That's just stupid. 1. How often does that even happen; and 2. I hate negative points for things other than turnovers. I've seen leagues where QBs get negative points for being sacked or even incompletions. Ridiculous.

I'd blame the rule settings in your league more than anything else. Minus 4 for a missed extra point? That's just stupid. 1. How often does that even happen; and 2. I hate negative points for things other than turnovers. I've seen leagues where QBs get negative points for being sacked or even incompletions. Ridiculous.

Almost a 5% miss rate in the entire NFL this season since they moved the line back. nevertheless, -4 pts is still ridic.

As someone noted, you are not allowed to jump off another teammate. As I understand it, since the guy didn't touch anyone else it was legal. I think the announcer said he was a high jumper in college. Pretty impressive.

I'd like to see the "rules" simplified- -let great athletes play and stop with the over-analysis, over-rules/reviews of every single snap.

As a football fan, I don't want to see the league's rule-book stop players from making great athletic plays like that.

What's preventing that is the general nature of bureaucracies. When FB started as something a bunch of drunk guys got together and played on the weekends, there was no need for many rules. Nothing was on the line. No huge organizations with ten thousand different opinions were around. And rules breed, like rabbits.

A rule about when you score a touchdown naturally will lead to a rule about whether YOU or the BALL has to get into the endzone. I mean naturally as literally as possible. The first time you play, you say "You gotta get past that line to score". But then the first time a guy gets the ball past the line, but not his torso, we have to make a decision...i.e. make a new rule. That then leads to a rule about whether the whole ball, or just a part of the ball, has to get there, because there will be that first instance of the nose of the ball crossing but not the whole ball. Other instances occurring normally will lead to questions about how the ball has to get there--is it a TD if the ball lands on my stomach, doesn't touch my hands, and I slide into the endzone on my back? Well, no, we say. You have to grab it with your hands. That's another rule. But then a dude bobbles it, leading to another question, and another decision.

You can't stop the process, without reverting back to a system that will only lead to the same questions again.

You might say that, okay, we're going to fix this whole Dez Bryant/Devonta Freeman catch fiasco. If you have the ball held tightly in your hands, then it's a catch, even before you land. But the reality is that this is no 'simpler', because it will just lead to other questions. So if you've made a catch, but haven't landed, and I grab you out of the air, throw you over my shoulder, and run out of bounds before setting you down...still a catch? Well, we need a rule for that.

It's just how rule systems work. They keep getting bigger and bigger, more complex and more complex, simply because the rules can't cover everything, and so we will continue to encounter situations not covered completely by a rule, and have to make a new one. Even that weekend FB game with friends will evolve that way if it continues long enough.

Running start and/or jumping over is only illegal if he touches another player on the line or if they are standing. Perfectly legal if he clears them while they are still crouched.

Hell, I think it's patently unfair to punish the guy who manages to jump unaided over the linemen when they're standing. ######, let 'em have that one too. If anything, limit it to only being legal if they are standing. Much more impressive.