Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

Is Matt Jones worth taking a flyer on

I have some injuries and byes this week. To be honest, I am in desperate mode. Some of my bench players are garbage and it would appear that Matt Forte might be playing this week, which would screw me since I wouldn't be able to play Langford. Jones has been released twice by past owners this year and I am wondering in a ppr league, is he worth picking up? he would be my flex guy. They play the Panthers next week but then have some matchup's against the Giants and Cowboys. Anyone own him and is he worth starting vs the Panthers.

If you're soliciting opinion, mine is just not being able to trust the Skins. That's the most schizophrenic football team in the league, some weeks looking like the old Hogs and other weeks looking like piglets. I'm at a loss on the issue other than I'm certain their coach is a fock-tard. For as much as I respect his brother, Jay Gruden is a focking clown.

If I have a guy who can take three measly passes for a buck thirty and a touch, I'm getting that guy on the field. I'm rostering him in my keeper league but just can't trust it now. He's averaging almost four yards on his 80 plus carries and a whopping 17 yards per reception after Sunday. Wish the cat didn't fumble so much though.

He is very hit or miss based on a lot of factors. Including the defenses ability to stop the swing pass and the coach in washingtons playcalling. He has had 2 giant games this year but both were based off of very long runs for tds.

Absolutely. Especially with the state of RB this year he should be rostered in all 12 team leagues.

Agreed. He's a guy many of us have been waiting for to 'turn it on'. Still a lot of season left to go, and even without the receiving yards yesterday, he ran well.

Agreed. He's a guy many of us have been waiting for to 'turn it on'. Still a lot of season left to go, and even without the receiving yards yesterday, he ran well.

His running ability is not in question. Its his ability to get the ball that is in question.

Yeah he just needs to receive a bigger work load , but after seeing Morris leave the game and than he came back in after recovering from his injury , tells me that he will be a apart of the running game going forward , hard to count on M Jones to be a solid performer week to week . But yes worth a roster spot .

His running ability is not in question. Its his ability to get the ball that is in question.

His running hasn't been great every game. He need consistency, and to stop fumbling. His general ability is why we've been waiting for him, but his actual performance issues are not all volume based.

His running hasn't been great every game. He need consistency, and to stop fumbling. His general ability is why we've been waiting for him, but his actual performance issues are not all volume based.

If he got ALL the reps as a bellcow I think his performance issues would be mitigated.

If he got ALL the reps as a bellcow I think his performance issues would be mitigated.

Oh I agree. But it's also seemed to me that he hasn't performed to his talent level yet. Could be the Oline or the offense in general. But looking at sheer talent, Jones would have walked away with the job if he was maximizing potential compared to Morris. I think this last game was his best, in fact, and I'm hopeful going forward. I almost dropped him to take a flyer on Ajayi, but decided to drop Coleman for a week instead (will be grabbing him back up), and I'm glad I did. I didn't start Jones this week, but I'm thinking I've got a guy who can fill in for me if I need it later on.

I dare you to start him vs Carolina next week. I won't be chasing his stats from yesterday. Especially since most of it came on one play - a 78 yard TD pass (vs the Saints).

If his coach, Gruden, came out and said we are going to give Matt Jones an extended look, then I would definitely start him in my lineup. However, the Skins are only one game out of first place so they aren't going to turn it over to the rookie just yet. Alfred Morris, Chris Thompson, and even Darrell Young(?) are still going to be involved.

Next year when Alfred Morris leaves I could see Matt Jones becoming an RB1.

I dare you to start him vs Carolina next week. I won't be chasing his stats from yesterday. Especially since most of it came on one play - a 78 yard TD pass (vs the Saints).

If his coach, Gruden, came out and said we are going to give Matt Jones an extended look, then I would definitely start him in my lineup. However, the Skins are only one game out of first place so they aren't going to turn it over to the rookie just yet. Alfred Morris, Chris Thompson, and even Darrell Young(?) are still going to be involved.

Next year when Alfred Morris leaves I could see Matt Jones becoming an RB1.

Take that away and he had 11-56 and 2-53. Still went over 100 total and 13 touches. That's if I buy into the "well take away his one big play" sort of issue. Take away Langford's 83 yarder and he didn't do as well either. Same for AD's long run (still did well, but not 'as well'). The fact that a guy can break a play like that is important to evaluating him.

I may actually start him next week. If Forte comes back and looks to handle all the work, I need someone to flex instead of Langford. I'd be looking at Hill against the Cards, a suddenly flatlining Diggs, D. Adams against a good Min defense, a Luckless Moncrief, Ajayi, or...Matt Jones. I don't think he'd be all that bad of a play, the way you (I was going to say beat but I'll say 'threaten') threaten Carolina is with the run.

I would jump on Matt jones in a heartbeat if he were available, which he is not, in my money league. His schedule looks promising and the Skins may be building toward something.

I agree with this.

Young RB's can't be looking over their shoulders waiting to get the hook. When you squeeze the ball too hard, knowing your next fumble could get you a seat on the bench, you try too hard and fock up. And I detest coaches who act like the all knowing Lombardi, the clowns who want to 'ride the hot hand' while showing folks what geniuses they are with their nifty little RB rotations.

For Christ sakes Gruden you focktard, give the kid the rock and let him bring home the mail.

A Morris was hurt and when he was ready they put him back into the game , that tells me that's the skins are more than happy to go rbbc the rest of the season .

He was facing a defense that is legitimately worse than lots of college defenses. Washington is improving, but c'mon...the Saints have given up 14 TD's in their 3 games or something. Jones isn't a bad stash, but expecting anything like that again is chasing fools gold.

Morris is in a contract year. I see it unlikely he gets phased out in the second half making both of them unplayable in FF outside of emergency.

Im gonna drop Lacy for him. How sad is that.

Don't think I would do that .

I was forced to start Jones due to other players on bye and that worked out quite well for me. However they don't get to play the Saints every week, and I'd be surprised if you just didn't see his best game of the year.

I do think Jones is the #1 in Washington right now, and Alf got the carries in the 2nd half once the game was out of reach. But I'm not sure that makes him anything other than a marginal RB2.

The Skins have always been an Alfa dog running attack. There was some uncertainty before Alf seized the job, but pretty much it's been a work horse offense. I'm thinking without the fumbles Jones has the gig already. But obviously Gruden is from the Kubiak school of handling RBs.

Absolutely. Especially with the state of RB this year he should be rostered in all 12 team leagues.

There's no debating he's playable in most leagues. On a neutral field, I think of him as a Ronnie Hillman type in the fantasy world. Hillman gets more touches, but Jones does more with less because he has a better run-blocking o-line and is a better runner irl. OP sounds like he's in a 10-teamer.