Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Time for the NFL to do away with divisions....

Divisions have up and down periods/years. NFC West before they all changed coaches for instance. NFC south right now since the 'good' qbs got paid for another. Okay okay...afc south and east are generally 1-team divisions unless Tom or Peyton/Andrew get hurt.

The wild card system gives 4 more teams a shot every year. This year and via shenanigans of varying degrees, all 4 of those won.

And...injuries matter. This was a huge injury year that ruined several teams, helped several others, and generally threw things off. Seattle and Pittsburg are two of the best 6 seeds ever.

No one year can be used as 'proof' of theories regarding playoffs. It's now 12 of 32 getting in. Unless there's several years to point to where clear super bowl contenders werent getting in based on technicalities, we're probably okay.

A little over-exagerration there, big champ? My comments were regarding divisional siliness and its outdatedness. What were you reading? Never said to scrap the playoffs. ?????

Good - thats what should have happened then because the whole division sucks and has no business being in the post season. Its quite clear that Houston didnt either.

The owners aren't giving up the potential home playoff game money that's a lock for one team per division. It's never going to happen. It's a cash game.

Ahh the old "do away with divisions because bad teams make it in and host playoff games" argument.

Divisions are never going away. A free for all would be good but what would change as a result of overall wins vs. divisions?

The only real difference is the Jets would have got in, and Houston wouldn't be hosting a playoff game, so the Jets would have gone to KC.

In the NFC no difference other than Green Bay would have hosted the Redskins instead of the other way around. Same results.

So now I have to suspect you're just a bitter Jets fan. :banana:

The owners aren't giving up the potential home playoff game money that's a lock for one team per division. It's never going to happen. It's a cash game.

Amen it's never going to change because money wise it's not broken , smart move .

Amen it's never going to chance because money wise it's not broken , smart move .

Other than wild card weekend, it's also not broken.

As was pointed out if the system was changed, Houston would be out, and the Jets would be in, and KC would have hosted a playoff game. In the NFC, Green Bay would have hosted instead of Washington.

It really doesn't have a significant enough impact on the game after WC weekend to warrant dumping the divisions.

If you win our divison you should no matter the record make it to the playoffs , if you have a losing record and win our divison but are not rewarded a playoff spot for winning our divison than why have divisons ? The best way of getting the teams with the best records in the playoffs is to eliminate divisons all together , you can't have a divison winner even if they have a losing record miss out on being reward for winning their divison . That's why they need to do away with divisons so this problem won't happen , and the teams with the best records are rewarded with a playoff postion , and that's what everyone wants right ? For the best teams with the best records to make the playoffs ? I do .

No that is not what everyone wants, and I'd argue that a majority of people like it the way it is now. I like the division system. I think that a team that wins its division is one of the best teams because of what all it takes to be a division winner. I like that each team drafts and prepares against common opponents that they face both home and away each season.

No that is not what everyone wants, and I'd argue that a majority of people like it the way it is now. I like the division system. I think that a team that wins its division is one of the best teams because of what all it takes to be a division winner. I like that each team drafts and prepares against common opponents that they face both home and away each season.

So you don't want to see that best teams with the best records make it to the playoffs? I sure do it would not bother me at all to see a change .

Solving one problem creates others. You don't like weak teams getting into the playoffs? Ok, I hear that. But then in your world, those 4 teams in the crappy division have absolutely nothing to play for at the end of the season. No stakes = less fan interest. I would rather have something at stake in every division even if it means letting in a crappy team.

My vote is for the NFL to do away with divisions . I want the top 6 teams with the best records in the two,conferences to make the playoffs .

Solving one problem creates others. You don't like weak teams getting into the playoffs? Ok, I hear that. But then in your world, those 4 teams in the crappy division have absolutely nothing to play for at the end of the season. No stakes = less fan interest. I would rather have something at stake in every division even if it means letting in a crappy team.

Also keeps teams from tanking. If your 4-7 in a conference or overall based system what rewards do you get other than a higher draft pick? At least with the 4 team divisions and your in a weak division leading that division at 4-7 it gives the 2-9 a sense of something to play for.

Also keeps teams from tanking. If your 4-7 in a conference or overall based system what rewards do you get other than a higher draft pick? At least with the 4 team divisions and your in a weak division leading that division at 4-7 it gives the 2-9 a sense of something to play for.

No 2-9 team believes they have something but pride to play for .

No 2-9 team believes they have something but pride to play for .

Just making a point... no teams in the NFC East would've had anything to play for in an overall based system, this year they did. It keeps the kinda good bad teams from tanking.

This is not about being fair ots about getting the teams with the best win lost records into the playoffs . Not every one should earn a blue ribbon just for showing up, of they want something to play for build a better team .

So you don't want to see that best teams with the best records make it to the playoffs? I sure do it would not bother me at all to see a change .

Why have conferences then?

Destroying the divisions would destroy the rivalries. Why would the Steelers play the Ravens/Browns Bengals twice a year without divisions? They wouldn't. Why would you want to dilute that? I like divisional games because teams are very prepared vs their opponent and I think we get a better product.

Certainly a teams schedule has something to do with that W-L record, so the better team does not always have the better record.

Two conferences, no divisions... Play the regular season to seed each conference... All teams make the playoffs... The winner of each conference tournament makes the Super Bowl and other teams get participation trophies...

Just leave it alone... I swear you people will about anything...

Eliminate the conferences - Four divisions of eight teams. The 4 Division winners get a bye; 8 wild cards from any division.

No more "weak" entries...

Reseed through the play-offs so, in theory, any pair of teams could meet in the SB.