Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

Kuechly Concussed

Guy was in tears. Honestly looked like he couldn't handle his emotions because of the concussion or that he knows this was the last one. I think his career is done either way.

It was difficult to witness his anguish. :(

Hoping the best for him, as he is apparently a good guy on every level.

Praying for him.

What a tough situation.

I agree he won't be back.

Bruh... there's no crying in football. Cmon.

The concussion damaged the part of the brain that controls emotions. Uncontrollable crying or laughing is a symptom of concussions. The guy had no control over that.

Do concussions inhibit one's ability to comprehend sarcasm. Just curious

What part of your post made it obvious that it was sarcasm??? The bruh?

• Like 1

Spent the entire game marveling at his play, and wishing Oakland had a linebacker like him. Then the first issue to mind at the injury was we might miss him in ten days. Felt a little guilt, but it's just business.

I would heartily recommend the Will Smith movie, about the doctor who discovered CTE in NFL players. Hope he makes it back, even in time for next week's games. Panthers had a few big injuries last night. Damn.

Would diffently say that a concussion can inhibit ones ability to comprehend anything.

These head injuries will change the game very very soon.

The NFL won't and shouldn't keep allowing it to happen.

It will water down the game , but I don't see anything more they can do.

It's a sad and tough situation, and not because the game will soon change but for those who's lives have been interrupted and or changed because of these types of injures.

Hate to see it happen.

The NFL IS allowing it to keep happening.

They have a token approach to concussion detection and management.

Doing just enough to seem like they care without really addressing the issue.

The NFL IS allowing it to keep happening.

They have a token approach to concussion detection and management.

Doing just enough to seem like they care without really addressing the issue.

What do you suggest they do to prevent concussions?

Not trying to be a smartass, just asking

What do you suggest they do to prevent concussions?

Not trying to be a smartass, just asking

Well much of it is helmet to helmet.

I'd like to see a conclusive study on the effectiveness of helmets in preventing concussion and how much they cause.

I'm not suggesting helmets be removed, but its interesting in a game like Aussie Rules (which I played for years) where the player speed is just as fast as NFL, and the tackling and hits are just as ferocious, that they are so few concussions compared to the NFL. We still get knees to the head and stuff like that, much of that is unavoidable, but very few head clashes. A few guys wear the rugby style head protectors, but its a vast minority. Maybe wearing a helmet teaches players early to tackle more recklessly.

The protocol also seems flawed. Its pretty convenient that the average recovery time for the majority seems to be just enough for the next game. The legitimacy of the independence of evaluations seems questionable.

• Like 1

If the NFL doesn't change the way the game is currently played , than yes they are letting it continue.

Bring back leather helmets.

That or no helmets and watch those arm tackles come back real quick.

I remember reading a few years ago when Wes Welker had that ugly helmet. NFL doesnt like them because they are fugly but they worked.

The tech is out there, but like others have said, if it isnt "cool" the NFL wont change it, the game will be out of high schools in 10 years, and gone in another 15.

It's a sad and tough situation, and not because the game will soon change but for those who's lives have been interrupted and or changed because of these types of injures.

Hate to see it happen.

It's actually nothing new at all to the game to have drastic changes for safety.

Look at how football was played 100 years ago and it is nothing at all like it is today. In the earlier days it was almost outlawed due to safety concerns.

The forward pass was actually legalized to make the game safer.

Of course this was way before the NFL was around but still.

The advancements in rules, technology, medical care, equipment, etc. will hopefully solve some of this over time.

I don't like the new rule changes so much but I understand it's necessary. The players just keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

That makes for more vicious hits and impacts. Something had to give with it sooner or later.

Going back to play this season is total insanity. Frankly speaking, the hit he took to his head wasn't really a big blow. His chest seemed to absorb most of the impact. So you may say "Colonel, his brain was jarred because of the whiplash effect!" That's even more disconcerting.

At the very least, he should be forced to sit out the rest of the season to get his wits about him. The guy is 25 years old and a great player. Sit out next season as well, get a thorough neurological examination after the year is over.

Hate to see it happen.

But it's not going to change anything. At one point in boxing, they talked about going to head gear. No one was gonna watch fighters with head gear on.

Guy was in tears. Honestly looked like he couldn't handle his emotions because of the concussion or that he knows this was the last one. I think his career is done either way.

I came across an eloquent Bill Simmons' piece today that expresses his take on Luke Kuechly:

...Luke Kuechly, who had just spent three hours terrorizing the New Orleans Saints during a typically disjointed Thursday-night game. Everyone loves Kuechly because he doesn’t just play middle linebacker. Kuechly zips around as if he’s manipulated by a Madden controller, only the person controlling him knows every play in advance. He covers acres, not yards. Earlier in the second half, Kuechly had swallowed up a delayed screen after dismissively shoving an enormous lead blocker out of his way, no different from someone pushing aside a staggering drunk in a nightclub. That sent NBC’s Cris Collinsworth into a chortling frenzy. Middle linebackers do that stuff in high school, but not here, not in a league littered with 300-pound linemen. It’s just not supposed to happen...

After you watch Kuechly for enough plays, you start thinking he’s superhuman in a LeBron/Lesnar/Affleck-as-Batman kind of way. But that’s the thing — in a collision sport littered with gargantuan linemen and muscle-bound sprinters, nobody is. Maybe an hour earlier, Mark Ingram had gotten smoked by a tackler and fell onto his back, only his arms jolted straight up as if he were re-creating Elijah Wood’s electrocution scene in The Ice Storm. (And yes, NBC couldn’t have cut more quickly to commercial.) In the Carolina game, Kuechly tackled Tim Hightower high right as the 226-pound running back was lowering his head, leading to the three scariest words in football that aren’t “Here’s Tony Siragusa” … that’s right, helmet to helmet.

Kuechly was sent sprawling before rolling over onto his stomach, writhing around with his appendages flapping. Players huddled around him. Voices hushed. Commercials happened. Kuechly eventually landed on the injury cart, looking decidedly less than superhuman. Was he really crying? Was something else going on?...

For more, hit the link: https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.z8tjwbtks