Sign in to follow this  
Antiramie

Crowell vs Pitt (A Tale of Two Matchups)

Last year Crowell went 19/152 against Pitt in the first matchup and 8/10 in the second...kind of a microcosm of his boom/bust season. After seeing his stats for that second game and wondering if game flow might dictate the Browns having to abandon the run game early, I'm starting to rethink putting him in my lineup this week. What are everyone's thoughts?

Right now I have CJA and Crow in my lineup and have Ingram and Quizz on my bench; however, the more I think about it the safer Quizz seems over Crowell.

You have the games wrong, he went for 152 in the second matchup. That was also an overtime game which he ripped off a 60 yd run in ot. Not sure it matters much but I see something like 15/60 and 3/20. Not a great matchup and probably playing from behind the whole game.

You have the games wrong, he went for 152 in the second matchup. That was also an overtime game which he ripped off a 60 yd run in ot. Not sure it matters much but I see something like 15/60 and 3/20. Not a great matchup and probably playing from behind the whole game.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction. Didn't see that ESPN lists season game logs in reverse chronological order (weird). Either way, Crowell had one solid game against them and one horrid one. The potential for Pitt going up big quickly is what scares me and makes me question why he's being ranked as a back-end RB1 this week.

He was drafted as a starter, and I would start him.

eh....i dont own crowell...but im guessing you spent a pick in the 1st 4 rounds on him to get him....i cant sit a guy, week 1, that i spent a pick on in the first 4 rounds...for a "matchup"....just couldnt do it

many many years ago i sat ahman green against the vaunted ravens defense in baltimore....he ended up with 2 very short TDs ....he didnt do squat running the ball...but the points he scored that day lost me the game and ended up costing me a championship

Just play him. He is your starter

Last year means zilch

So I should automatically start the guy I drafted highest? That logic makes no sense. If I drafted an RB2 in the 7th round and an RB3 in the 8th, then I would be obligated to play the 7th round guy even if the matchups were polar opposites?

Quizz averaged 13 pts a game when he was the lead back last year. I drafted him late to be able to start him the first 3 weeks if necessary (and to handcuff Martin), and this seems like a situation that's not completely black and white.

For every "start your studs" argument, there is an equally valid "play matchups" one. Like when I won my matchup last year by benching AJ Green against Denver.

So I should automatically start the guy I drafted highest? That logic makes no sense. If I drafted an RB2 in the 7th round and an RB3 in the 8th, then I would be obligated to play the 7th round guy even if the matchups were polar opposites?

Quizz averaged 13 pts a game when he was the lead back last year. I drafted him late to be able to start him the first 3 weeks if necessary (and to handcuff Martin), and this seems like a situation that's not completely black and white.

For every "start your studs" argument, there is an equally valid "play matchups" one. Like when I won my matchup last year by benching AJ Green against Denver.

i dont think you understand what i said.....you bringing up 7th and 8th round picks isnt relevant to what i said

what i said was its week 1 and you likely spent a pick in the first 4 rounds on crowell...im not sitting any guy i drafted in the first 4 rounds in week 1 for anything other than a suspension or injury....

there are too many unknowns right now...what if the browns line comes out and performs to the level most think they can? and are the afc version of the cowboys? what if having the threat of kizer being able to run starts to open on some lanes for crowell? what if browns receivers draw a couple of PI flags in the endzone and they put the ball at the 1 and crowell walks in twice?

i didnt say you are obligated to play the higher picks when looking to choose your lineup...but in the first week of the season im not sitting a guy that i likely spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on...if he healthy

you sat green and he still caught 8 balls and scored 15 pts in ppr....id take that all day especially in that matchup.....

But what round do you draw the line for thinking a guy drafted there is a must start? That's the point I'm trying to make. It's a slippery slope argument that excludes any critical thinking.

I'm not saying I'm set on benching Crowell. But I'm looking for better arguments than you have to start him because you drafted him in round X.

Comparing Crowell, Quizz, and CJA is apples and oranges IMO. Quizz went way late bc he is only possibly starting 3 games. But he's still a solid option. Plus, CJA, who I drafted 3 rounds later than Crowell, is ranked 1 spot lower than him for week 1. So to me round drafted is irrelevant in this case.

i dont think you understand what i said.....you bringing up 7th and 8th round picks isnt relevant to what i said

what i said was its week 1 and you likely spent a pick in the first 4 rounds on crowell...im not sitting any guy i drafted in the first 4 rounds in week 1 for anything other than a suspension or injury....

there are too many unknowns right now...what if the browns line comes out and performs to the level most think they can? and are the afc version of the cowboys? what if having the threat of kizer being able to run starts to open on some lanes for crowell? what if browns receivers draw a couple of PI flags in the endzone and they put the ball at the 1 and crowell walks in twice?

i didnt say you are obligated to play the higher picks when looking to choose your lineup...but in the first week of the season im not sitting a guy that i likely spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on...if he healthy

you sat green and he still caught 8 balls and scored 15 pts in ppr....id take that all day especially in that matchup.....

I dunno. I can easily see myself saying "I know this guy was my third round pick, but he has his worst matchup of the year in week 1, and my 5th round pick has his best matchup of the year that week.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you like every one of his matchups.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you think he'll be a stud every single week.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you don't think another player you drafted lower might out-perform him on a given week.

'Start your studs' is not the concept that they will always, without fail, do better than your backups. It's the concept that they generally will, and most people will feel better about themselves if they get a dud from a stud player when they weren't sure, then if he goes off on their bench.

And I don't see why benching a stud on week 1 isn't something you could very easily even go into the draft planning to do.

I dunno. I can easily see myself saying "I know this guy was my third round pick, but he has his worst matchup of the year in week 1, and my 5th round pick has his best matchup of the year that week.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you like every one of his matchups.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you think he'll be a stud every single week.

Drafting a guy high doesn't mean you don't think another player you drafted lower might out-perform him on a given week.

'Start your studs' is not the concept that they will always, without fail, do better than your backups. It's the concept that they generally will, and most people will feel better about themselves if they get a dud from a stud player when they weren't sure, then if he goes off on their bench.

And I don't see why benching a stud on week 1 isn't something you could very easily even go into the draft planning to do.

I don't think Crowell remotely falls into the stud category anyway. I semi-reluctantly drafted him as my RB1.

The line drawing on the round could be subjective ....the same way what you would say "well its time to give up in someone after a string of bad weeks"

Personally if I'm considering sitting a guy in week 1 that I picked in the 4th than I probably didn't pick the right guy there.....that's all I'm saying...its week 1 and crowell is 3rd or 4th round pick....too many unknowns ....I'm generally putting out my top guys in week 1....especially a 4th rounder....I just think its a practical practice....and believe me I'm far from practical when it comes to fantasy

I play in a 12 team ppr with over 5k on the like for first ...and if u saw my team it carries a lot of risk but has bigggg upside ....so I'm not always a practical guy

Personally if I'm considering sitting a guy in week 1 that I picked in the 4th than I probably didn't pick the right guy there.....that's all I'm saying...

It's cool, I just disagree. I could easily see myself picking someone early but really really not liking their week 1 matchup. Take TY Hilton as an example. I don't have him, but I could easily see me drafting someone like him high (knowing I want him around for when Luck comes back), but wanting nothing to do with him until Luck is back. And I could see that same scenario playing out just due to horrific matchups. If you like Hilton (I've always been kinda cool on him myself), he might simultaneously be worth a high pick but not someone you want to start week 1. It'll be rare, as someone's draft position is impacted by their matchups. If you don't like a guy's first four matchups, you're likely not drafting him that high. But one week? I could see it.

It's cool, I just disagree. I could easily see myself picking someone early but really really not liking their week 1 matchup. Take TY Hilton as an example. I don't have him, but I could easily see me drafting someone like him high (knowing I want him around for when Luck comes back), but wanting nothing to do with him until Luck is back. And I could see that same scenario playing out just due to horrific matchups. If you like Hilton (I've always been kinda cool on him myself), he might simultaneously be worth a high pick but not someone you want to start week 1. It'll be rare, as someone's draft position is impacted by their matchups. If you don't like a guy's first four matchups, you're likely not drafting him that high. But one week? I could see it.

Eh. I hear you. I just disagree. Im drafting for upside/schedules i like/ players i like....TY Hiltons whole situation with Luck had him as a DND for me...i can easily find guys in the same area i actually like that i WANT....so im not going that route....same with crowell....you have a guy in this thread talking about how he took crowell as his rb1 and is now thinking of benching him the 1st week of the season...week 1!!!! like i said...theres too much unknown right now to sit your first rb drafted......if you are that unsure/uncertain about the guy then you prob should have gone another route......thats the way i see it...i have a few guys i like in each round that i target...i dont take guys that just kind of fall in my lap ...especially that early...in round 4...if im taking a guy in round 4 i have complete confidence in him

Eh. I hear you. I just disagree. Im drafting for upside/schedules i like/ players i like....TY Hiltons whole situation with Luck had him as a DND for me...i can easily find guys in the same area i actually like that i WANT....so im not going that route....same with crowell....you have a guy in this thread talking about how he took crowell as his rb1 and is now thinking of benching him the 1st week of the season...week 1!!!! like i said...theres too much unknown right now to sit your first rb drafted......if you are that unsure/uncertain about the guy then you prob should have gone another route......thats the way i see it...i have a few guys i like in each round that i target...i dont take guys that just kind of fall in my lap ...especially that early...in round 4...if im taking a guy in round 4 i have complete confidence in him

I totally agree about Hilton, fwiw. I just used him as an example. I could have what I consider complete confidence in a player, draft him high, and still bench him for a given week, even week 1. I don't recall that happening (except in the case of injury or suspension as you pointed out). But I could see it happening. That's all :)

Hello..,,.pittsburgh has not been a tough RB matchup for years.

Seems you have made up your mind just go with your gut and quiz then

If you are playing matchups with any of your first 3-4 picks you made a bad pick.

I had crow last yr and remember vividly how often the browns would get down 2 scores before the waitress even brought me my first beer. I wasnt going through that again in the hopes that the browns defense is vastly improved and having to spend a 3rd rounder on him.

That said, if I did have him, im playing him. Home game vs div rival, i think browns will want to feature him as much as possible esp with a rookie starter. Also as above poster said Pitt run def isn't what it used to be.

Hello..,,.pittsburgh has not been a tough RB matchup for years.

:thumbsup:

Crowell is a top fantasy pick, at home, with a good matchup, and probably as healthy as he will be all year.

you either play him this week or you never should have drafted him to begin with.

I agree, play Crowell. Opportunity trumps matchup, and Coach Jackson has made it clear he will feed Crowell a lot this year. Plus, it's a contract year for him.

I'm glad some sensible people have echoed my sentiment...if u drafted a guy in round 4 and are thinking of sitting him week 1 you made a bad pick...its week 1

I would start Quizz, Ingram may get the backseat for some ADP revenge on the Vikings, and Crowell might see the Duke getting more snaps if the Steelers get rolling.

Interesting thread. I also have Crowell, my 3rd rounder - and am sitting him. I'm going instead with R. Kelley home against PHI.

What (surprisingly) hasn't been posted yet is that Crowell's second game vs. PIT was in Wk 17, when PIT was resting their starters for the playoffs! :shocking:

(I'm Flexing MIA WR D. Parker, FWIW.)

That Steelers defense last year, particularly against the run, was freakin bi-polar. They also gave up a HUGE game to Ajayi, but solidified later in the season. The Steelers had 6 offensive players (Roethlisberger, Bell, Brown, Bryant, Jesse James and Markice Pouncey) out that day, and a few on the defensive side as well. Not a typical game for them. Cleveland is improving, but expect it to be the Steelers in a romp this weekend.

I'm glad some sensible people have echoed my sentiment...if u drafted a guy in round 4 and are thinking of sitting him week 1 you made a bad pick...its week 1

I disagree, I drafted both brees and big Ben and am going with big Ben this week. I don't believe the brees pick is bad, just like my luck againt the lesser Cleveland defense

The gap between brees and Ben isn't that big....its a position that you hold usually no more than 2 guys....

What this guy is talking about is his 4th round pick and rb1 and sitting him in week 1 for a guy he grabbed in round 10

I stand by what I said....he ain't playing Rodgers now anyway so its moot...but its prob not the smartest practice....playing a matchup in week 1 at rb is crazy to me...

This would be like me sitting martavis in favor of Kendall wright because I'm worried about game flow

I get it, I actually debated with myself before I made the switch (never bench ur studs!). I was just commenting to show it's not because it's always a bad pick

I get it, I actually debated with myself before I made the switch (never bench ur studs!). I was just commenting to show it's not because it's always a bad pick

I'm not saying never...but its week 1...no patterns have emerged ...and Pitt isn't known as a dominate d

Imagine I said "I think pitt is going to get a quick big lead and run the ball a lot ....and I think the bears will be down all day so I'm gonna start Kendall wright over martavis".... Sounds kinda dumb to me....at least at this juncture

Knew this was gonna happen. If the Bucs didn't get screwed I would have had Quizz in over bum Crowell.

Evans and Parker on bye. Robinson injured 10 min into the season. Crowell sucking balls. Yet another fun start to a FF season...