Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Packers at Bears - In-Game Discussion

Running through contact counts.  You can't just discount it because he made it look easy.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Running through contact counts.  You can't just discount it because he made it look easy.

If we're talking about David Montgomery, he only did it on one carry out of six, and I wouldn't say it looked easy on that one play, but it's a really small sample size.

2 hours ago, nobody said:

He ran through contact on at least 3 different runs.

David Montgomery's Plays from Week 1

Let's review the tape...

1st carry - Off left tackle, bounces it outside and goes down upon first contact for a 4 yard gain.

2nd carry - The Bears line opens up a hole left center that you could, LITERALLY, drive a truck through, and Montgomery takes what he is given, but again, he goes down on first contact for a 6 yard gain. 

3rd carry - This time the line doesn't do its job; Montgomery runs right into the pack and goes down on first contact for a 1 yard gain.

4th carry - This is the one play you could point to as Montgomery "running through contact" as he bounces wide left again and runs through an arm tackle--after he almost tripped over the line of scrimmage first--and then he goes down upon second contact.

5th carry - Dances and hesitates at the line of scrimmage waiting for a hole that never opens, falls forward for a 1 yard gain upon first contact.

6th carry - Runs left again, straight into a defender, but he bounces off of contact (not really "running through contact" and goes down at the line of scrimmage upon second contact for no gain.

Soooo... on which "at least 3 different runs" did he "run through contact"?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

SB 53

NE 13. LAR 3

Yeah, great. That’s ONE game and a total anomaly if you look at the recent super bowl games and what it takes to get there.  Teams with bad offenses and or no quarterback go NOWHERE.  The pats and rams both got their via their offense, especially New England.  Cmon.

31 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Yeah, great. That’s ONE game and a total anomaly if you look at the recent super bowl games and what it takes to get there.  Teams with bad offenses and or no quarterback go NOWHERE.  The pats and rams both got their via their offense, especially New England.  Cmon.

You said “but offense wins championships these days.  That cannot be argued.”

I said Defense won the last SB!

i think we’re are arguing.

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

David Montgomery's Plays from Week 1

Let's review the tape...

1st carry - Off left tackle, bounces it outside and goes down upon first contact for a 4 yard gain.

2nd carry - The Bears line opens up a hole left center that you could, LITERALLY, drive a truck through, and Montgomery takes what he is given, but again, he goes down on first contact for a 6 yard gain. 

3rd carry - This time the line doesn't do its job; Montgomery runs right into the pack and goes down on first contact for a 1 yard gain.

4th carry - This is the one play you could point to as Montgomery "running through contact" as he bounces wide left again and runs through an arm tackle--after he almost tripped over the line of scrimmage first--and then he goes down upon second contact.

5th carry - Dances and hesitates at the line of scrimmage waiting for a hole that never opens, falls forward for a 1 yard gain upon first contact.

6th carry - Runs left again, straight into a defender, but he bounces off of contact (not really "running through contact" and goes down at the line of scrimmage upon second contact for no gain.

Soooo... on which "at least 3 different runs" did he "run through contact"?

This pretty much sums it up. I am not putting Montgomery in the elite category like most bears fans seem to have done. 

Im also pretty much expecting Nagy to blow the golden opportunity with the roster he has been gifted. He feels he needs to baby Mitch. I don't think he does, but even if he does, let Mitch fail in a legit high flying offensive scheme. The Bears will never win even if Mitch needs this simplified offense, so they might as well draw up an actual NFL passing attack. Nagy won't though, because he is barely above average at designing an offense. This embarrassing display of play calling is nothing new in my eyes

34 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

This pretty much sums it up. I am not putting Montgomery in the elite category like most bears fans seem to have done. 

Im also pretty much expecting Nagy to blow the golden opportunity with the roster he has been gifted. He feels he needs to baby Mitch. I don't think he does, but even if he does, let Mitch fail in a legit high flying offensive scheme. The Bears will never win even if Mitch needs this simplified offense, so they might as well draw up an actual NFL passing attack. Nagy won't though, because he is barely above average at designing an offense. This embarrassing display of play calling is nothing new in my eyes

Agreed, this offense looked its best last year with misdirection, and an electric play maker in cohen keeping the defense guessing and on their heels. They had a great combo of horizontal and vertical movement that it qas hard to apply pressure on Mitch... I have no idea what that script was last night, but it didn't look anything like last year

3 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

You said “but offense wins championships these days.  That cannot be argued.”

I said Defense won the last SB!

i think we’re are arguing.

Yeah, we are then.  Let’s just stop.  From what I have seen, it is an offensively minded league and despite some games coming down to terrific defensive performances, you ain’t getting far with the defense first mindset.  The 2000 Ravens were the first truly defensive team with a caretaker QB that won a super bowl.  Maybe the Giants beating the Pats in their first matchup can be attributed to a great defense but the giants OFFENSE certainly helped get them there.  The "just sign Trent Dilfer and stack the defense" system ain’t cutting it in 2019.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, AxeElf said:

TV Ratings Thursday: Packers vs. Bears annihilates competition

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-thursday-september-5-2019/

NFL TV Ratings Shoot Up 14% For The Season Opener Between The Bears And Packers

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/06/packers-bears-opener-tv-ratings-nbc/

On 9/7/2019 at 8:39 AM, RoadLizard said:

Yeah, we are then.  Let’s just stop.  From what I have seen, it is an offensively minded league and despite some games coming down to terrific defensive performances, you ain’t getting far with the defense first mindset.  The 2000 Ravens were the first truly defensive team with a caretaker QB that won a super bowl.  Maybe the Giants beating the Pats in their first matchup can be attributed to a great defense but the giants OFFENSE certainly helped get them there.  The "just sign Trent Dilfer and stack the defense" system ain’t cutting it in 2019.

What about SB L 

Den 24 Car 10 

that is 2 out of the last 4 SB won by defense.