Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

So, I caught a native brookie on a black midge yesterday

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i just took my son trout fishing this weekend. he loves it. im not crazy about it...saltwater for me.

we tried fly fishing a bit but we kind of amateurs. did well with spinners. i got 2 good brown trout and he got a bunch of rainbows we eating tonight.

he'll probably want to upgrade his cheap fly rod and reel this christmas.

 

How are you cooking the trout?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Even fresh, wild trout taste awful :ninja:

Really?  I've always enjoyed it.  I remember making it as a nice, cheap meal back in college.  Easy to clean and easy to cook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Even fresh, wild trout taste awful :ninja:

I would never order trout in a restaurant given other fish on the menu.  I find them to be quite "fishy".   The best way that I've ever eaten trout was breaded and pan-fried on an open fire on the river bank just off the stringer.  But that was 40 years ago in Canada.  I think I'll just continue to release my little friends when I catch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Really?  I've always enjoyed it.  I remember making it as a nice, cheap meal back in college.  Easy to clean and easy to cook.

If I made a list of fish that tasted better, the list would be a hundred fish long. Maybe it is because they typically are caught in clear, cold water that people think they taste better than what they do.I put them in the below grouping of edible, but not tasty fish.

trout

king mackeral

Bluefish

stingray

gaftops

blue runners

false albacore

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I would never order trout in a restaurant given other fish on the menu.  I find them to be quite "fishy".   The best way that I've ever eaten trout was breaded and pan-fried on an open fire on the river bank just off the stringer.  But that was 40 years ago in Canada.  I think I'll just continue to release my little friends when I catch them.

Very fishy tasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

huh tastes awful??? i always thought it was pretty good. and we just gut, spice up and grill.

ETA...no way false albacore!!!! they are not even edible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

If I made a list of fish that tasted better, the list would be a hundred fish long. Maybe it is because they typically are caught in clear, cold water that people think they taste better than what they do.I put them in the below grouping of edible, but not tasty fish.

trout

king mackeral

Bluefish

stingray

gaftops

blue runners

false albacore

 

 

I've never had any of those other fish.  I've have trout smoked and I've had it on the grill.  I would keep the fish whole, put seasoning and butter inside it then wrap it in tinfoil and then put it on the grill.  When it was done the meat would pull off the bones and away from the skin, delicious. 

Trout is not near the top of my list but I still like it.  I enjoy all kinds of fresh water fish.  Walleye, pike, bluegiil, crappie, perch, catfish and even bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 

Trout is not near the top of my list but I still like it.  I enjoy all kinds of fresh water fish.  Walleye, pike, bluegiil, crappie, perch, catfish and even bass.

 

Walleye may be the best freshwater fish out there.  I guess the population isn't high enough for it to be widely distributed, but it is a tasty fish.   Not a big fan of the others on your list, except maybe perch, but most perch filets I've eaten are about the size of a Dorito.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

 

Walleye may be the best freshwater fish out there.  I guess the population isn't high enough for it to be widely distributed, but it is a tasty fish.   Not a big fan of the others on your list, except maybe perch, but most perch filets I've eaten are about the size of a Dorito.

I enjoy pike.  They offer a lot of meat and some thick filets.  My local water is the Mississippi River so I grew up eating all kinds of different fish.  We even eat freshwater drum and carp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×