2021 Draft Discussion...

Definitely not overly excited about either of my supplemental picks.  Both are huge risk/reward potential as they have little history behind them.

OF and SP were the 2 positions I felt I could vastly improve my team with the players and value at the spot I was at.  

I will likely be in the market for a 1B.  I'll put Urshela on the block right now as a starter with more to add to that.

I drafted a lot of pitching depth so two hitters was always the plan.....

Eloy Jimenez  - was surprised to see him fall to me.... but that happens in the supplemental as teams have different needs. Getting to move Kiermaier out of my outfield (sorry KK) is huge for me since his defensive prowess does nothing for my fantasy team. Eloy adds much needed pop.

JT Realmuto - I could have gone a few different directions but with what was on the board, getting to upgrade the Rays catching tandem to Realmuto offered me the biggest statistical improvement. 

So I knew one of my players was going to be a catcher, so was thinking about a starter but then...

DJ LeMahieu - Last season I had issues of fielding a complete infield with good players since my players were not a multi-position player...  LeMahieu helped with that since he has 1B, 2B and 3B eligibility...  I couldn't pass up his numbers and multi-position...  Yes I still needed to fill my catcher position, but I figured with everyone else having a catcher, I would probably be okay and Realmuto would still be there for me to snag...

Will D. Smith - I had Realmuto all queued up and then WW pulls the trigger and takes him...  I texted him to call out my disbelief, but in what he said above, it makes sense...  I took a gamble that he would come back and I lost out...  Then the decision was Smith or Contreras behind the plate and having Smith hitting in that lineup and being younger, I went with Smith...

5 minutes ago, posty said:

So I knew one of my players was going to be a catcher, so was thinking about a starter but then...

DJ LeMahieu - Last season I had issues of fielding a complete infield with good players since my players were not a multi-position player...  LeMahieu helped with that since he has 1B, 2B and 3B eligibility...  I couldn't pass up his numbers and multi-position...  Yes I still needed to fill my catcher position, but I figured with everyone else having a catcher, I would probably be okay and Realmuto would still be there for me to snag...

Will D. Smith - I had Realmuto all queued up and then WW pulls the trigger and takes him...  I texted him to call out my disbelief, but in what he said above, it makes sense...  I took a gamble that he would come back and I lost out...  Then the decision was Smith or Contreras behind the plate and having Smith hitting in that lineup and being younger, I went with Smith...

Had you selected anyone OTHER than DJ in round 1, Realmuto would have fallen to you in round 2. My initial plan was to upgrade my "all Rays" 1B position, either with DJ directly or with Lowe and playing DJ at 2B.... His multi position eligibility is less important to me because I have a ton of guys like that, but he was still my preference at the time. I then would have snagged best OF available in round 2. 

I knew you wanted Realmuto with no starting catcher on your roster... so while it was definitely an intentional snipe, it was more so that you forced my hand. Looking at the available 1B options and what I have at 1B versus Realmuto and what I have at C, the theoretical improvement was significantly larger at C. 

While I was bummed to miss DJ initially... I almost have to thank you for forcing me to take a second look 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I almost have to thank you for forcing me to take a second look 

You are welcome...  Like I said, I took a chance but I knew that Realmuto, Smith and Contreras wouldn't all be taken, so I figured I was okay with it...

im glad the discussion thread is picking up again. 

Ill wait until the end of the supplemental and I'll post the three four teams I think did best for themselves (just my opinion, just for fun).

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Had you selected anyone OTHER than DJ in round 1, Realmuto would have fallen to you in round 2. My initial plan was to upgrade my "all Rays" 1B position, either with DJ directly or with Lowe and playing DJ at 2B.... His multi position eligibility is less important to me because I have a ton of guys like that, but he was still my preference at the time. I then would have snagged best OF available in round 2. 

I knew you wanted Realmuto with no starting catcher on your roster... so while it was definitely an intentional snipe, it was more so that you forced my hand. Looking at the available 1B options and what I have at 1B versus Realmuto and what I have at C, the theoretical improvement was significantly larger at C. 

While I was bummed to miss DJ initially... I almost have to thank you for forcing me to take a second look 

9 minutes ago, posty said:

You are welcome...  Like I said, I took a chance but I knew that Realmuto, Smith and Contreras wouldn't all be taken, so I figured I was okay with it...

Glad to see this ended civilly.  😬

• Haha 1

I thought about DJ for my 1B depth as well but thought it a waste with all the INF flexibility for me.  Didn't believe he really was a difference maker for me to "upgrade" any of those positions for me.

49 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I drafted a lot of pitching depth so two hitters was always the plan.....

Eloy Jimenez  - was surprised to see him fall to me.... but that happens in the supplemental as teams have different needs. Getting to move Kiermaier out of my outfield (sorry KK) is huge for me since his defensive prowess does nothing for my fantasy team. Eloy adds much needed pop.

If Nola had gone the pick in front of me, the plan was to trade down with you and take Jimenez. So instead I have a third ace in my short rotation, and a total gamble as my third outfielder (but with all the players I lost from last year, I'll need to get lucky to compete anyway so might as well swing for the fences with Judge).

I had to get a top starter in Round 1 with Sale being out until probably the middle of the season. Was pleasantly surprised to grab Kershaw here, thought he wouldn't make it to me. Was going to give Gallen a shot if Kershaw didn't fall to me.

Round 2 I felt I should get someone who will be more likely to play everyday that had some position flexibility because it seems like the Sox signed every available UTIL player this year and I project having to move people around daily to try to keep up. Also, K Marte has been on fire this spring as well, hoping that continues through into the season.

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

im glad the discussion thread is picking up again. 

Ill wait until the end of the supplemental and I'll post the three teams I think did best for themselves (just my opinion, just for fun).

Good to know I'm out of the running on this one already 😂

Hard to tell if this years supplemental was deeper than last years. We got access to a bunch of Dodgers and Cubs (Buehler, Kershaw, Bellinger, Seager, Contreras) but lost out on Mets and Padres (deGrom, Tatis Jr, Alonso, *Syndergaard when healthy, Conforto, Limet). I think top end with deGrom, Tatis and Alonso was better and also probably deeper overall. 

Wonder's Supplemental Winners

1. Mets : Maybe being biased :lol: but short seemed to be a position of uncertainty after missing out on Lindor.... Seager is coming off a great shortened season and is rocking it this spring.... but this rank has more to do with Castillo. I think he is very overlooked and can easily compete with the starters picked in the top half of round 1.

2. Orioles : To think, I could have easily had his 4th overall pick and was probably stupid for passing. Mookz needed pitching and pitching he got. Walker Buehler had to be the consensus top pitcher available and while I wasn't sure what quality of SP would be available at the back end of round 2, Kenta Maeda was an outstanding grab.

3. Indians : If Aaron Judge returns to 2017 Aaron Judge, ZT will win this supplemental. It's a huge 'if' though. Nola was a solid pick... you know you'll get top level production there.

4. Royals : Starling Marte keeps producing and Gallen is very talented. The risk here is that each of these guys could easily regress. Gallen may struggle for wins with that team and Marte may not produce the decent power numbers we've seen in the past now playing in Miami..... but this combo shows that picking at the turn can be great. Im not positive but I felt like these were CMH's two biggest areas of need so to grab these quality players is a job well done.

I made a list!  :banana:

It's not hard to improve when you're starting at zero.  😏

And even now I'm interested in warm-body SPs, so feel free to come at me.  :bandana:

50 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I made a list!  :banana:

It's not hard to improve when you're starting at zero.  😏

And even now I'm interested in warm-body SPs, so feel free to come at me.  :bandana:

I have 10 Exclusive SP. just sayin.  

33 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

I have 10 Exclusive SP. just sayin.  

Dang.  :huh:

I will peruse.  B)

One lesser player you drafted, or was exclusive, who you're excited about.  Not you supplemental picks (Eloy), highly touted prospects (Franco), or top of your draft list guys (Snell)... 

For me it's Michael Wacha.

Never a strikeout guy and I don't expect a return to 2015 numbers (17-7, 3.38ERA) but as recently as 2018 he started 15 games and went 8-2 with a 3.20 ERA. One thing the Rays can do is bring in pitchers... both starters and relievers... who are sort of after thoughts and jump start their careers. Wacha has looked good this spring. The main concern would be how many innings any of the Rays "starters" are going to get. How much will they continue to yank (aka "Cash") guys early and go to the pen? How much will the use an opener and then plug in someone like Wacha, Yarbrough, Hill or even Archer to go innings 2-6? Its a concern but I'm very excited about what Wacha can give me for where he was drafted. 

8 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

One lesser player you drafted, or was exclusive, who you're excited about.  Not you supplemental picks (Eloy), highly touted prospects (Franco), or top of your draft list guys (Snell)... 

For me it's Michael Wacha.

Never a strikeout guy and I don't expect a return to 2015 numbers (17-7, 3.38ERA) but as recently as 2018 he started 15 games and went 8-2 with a 3.20 ERA. One thing the Rays can do is bring in pitchers... both starters and relievers... who are sort of after thoughts and jump start their careers. Wacha has looked good this spring. The main concern would be how many innings any of the Rays "starters" are going to get. How much will they continue to yank (aka "Cash") guys early and go to the pen? How much will the use an opener and then plug in someone like Wacha, Yarbrough, Hill or even Archer to go innings 2-6? Its a concern but I'm very excited about what Wacha can give me for where he was drafted. 

1. 🖕

2.   For me it would be Adam Ottavino in the 7th round. Has always been an exclusive for me until this year. At his best he is the perfect 7th & 8th inning guy who will have a low ERA, lots of strikeouts and a ton of Holds.  As steady as a set up man there is in the game.  This year, he could possibly claim the closer role in Boston giving me 4 closers.   He is a set and forget pitcher for me.  In the lineup every day unless the Red Sox are off.  

Kinda looking forward to see if Jon Berti gets playing time.  If he does, with his position eligibility, and he can get on base the speed he brings will be a nice boost to have every week.  So it' mostly excitement about the possibility. 

@posty Can I either make my pick here or send it to you prior to noon?  I'll be at the gym then and don't want to hold up the works.

7 minutes ago, Mookz said:

@posty Can I either make my pick here or send it to you prior to noon?  I'll be at the gym then and don't want to hold up the works.

PM me a couple just in case you go for someone that could be rostered by another team...  If they can't for sure, just PM me that pick then...

Thanks...

29 Guests has last visited the forums on April 25...  Might have to skip...

@29 Guests  on the clock for AS supplemental

@29 Guests  on the clock for AS supplemental

I am thinking of giving it until 3pm (or 4pm) ET and then skip the pick...

Maybe Cdub should make it for him.  :ninja:

@posty

ill have my brothers pick for the Mets. I’m waiting for him to text me back. But I messed a few things up. 
1. forgot to drop two players from my own team

2. he had asked me to drop one more from his team for his second round pick. 

should I just put (———— ——————) next to the pick names so you know who to drop? 

I apologize this morning was very busy. 

@posty

ill have my brothers pick for the Mets. I’m waiting for him to text me back. But I messed a few things up. 
1. forgot to drop two players from my own team

2. he had asked me to drop one more from his team for his second round pick. 

should I just put (———— ——————) next to the pick names so you know who to drop? 

I apologize this morning was very busy. 

Sure...  Just put whom you want to drop and I will take care of it...

2 hours ago, posty said:

Sure...  Just put whom you want to drop and I will take care of it...

Thanks man. Appreciate it. Cutting kiermaier and colome should have me where I was supposed to be. I remembered to add the players I wanted to protect last night but forgot to cut the 2 to make room for the draft picks 

also was hoping for Rodon or Peralta. Oh well

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Thanks man. Appreciate it. Cutting kiermaier and colome should have me where I was supposed to be. I remembered to add the players I wanted to protect last night but forgot to cut the 2 to make room for the draft picks 

Done...

I didn't really want to go with Olson, but I needed power after losing Acuna.

I'm having elbow surgery first thing in the morning (8am-ish).  I should be home and semi-cognizant by 1pm MST.

Sonny Gray was a reckless pick but I'm counting on the fact that his current IL stint is mostly a procedural move.  :(

Pitching went like hotcakes in round 1.  <_<

Not much appealed to me at this point for what I think I need for the rest of the year.  Every name that does have merit and could be more likely pick have questions so I went with one of the biggest questions and possibly biggest upside.  Getting a C/OF.  2 of my biggest positional needs.

I went with Jansen because I believe he was the one player left who could be impactful.  I really didn’t need another closet with Chapman and Reyes on my roster.  

I am open to trading one of them if anyone needs to improve their saves category.  

18 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

I went with Jansen because I believe he was the one player left who could be impactful.  I really didn’t need another closet with Chapman and Reyes on my roster.  

I am open to trading one of them if anyone needs to improve their saves category.  

What would you want for him?

42 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

I was going to take Jansen if you hadn't...

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:
Eugenio Suárez
Adam Duvall
to  

Tommy Pham
Kenley Jansen
Randal Grichuk

ok I am curious as how this works, cause now atlanta has 6 players not from his franchise?

You can trade anyone, they don't have to be exclusive to you...