joneo

Sounds like Rodgers is retiring

34 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

There are only 53 roster spots. They are valuable spots to these guys, even if you consider them insignificant.

Should they have done it to make Rodgers happy? Maybe, considering he is so upset about it and hes the most valuable guy in the entire organization. But the right football move is to keep the younger guy. I understand a guy who has spent his entire career evaluating personnel wanting to keep the player with more potential. I also get that you have to consider the fact that Rodgers is so sensitive and you dont want to upset him. Its not black and white.

Good players come from all spots of the draft.  But I think they knew none of those guys necessarily had elite traits.  There is a practice squad also. 

Going back to the Cobb stuff....Amari Rodgers is probably their return man.  He is going to be used all over the formation.   By having Cobb it allows Rodgers to not need to focus on being the slot WR in year 1.  

37 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Not at all.. but you are being a blinded apologist. 

And course he's showing up. He might be a bat shiit/wacked diva, but he's not stupid - not turning his back on damn near $40m. 

From all the beat reporters he seems to be having fun and happy to be there.  Pulling pranks the first day back.

Micah Hyde said he was extremely flattered that Rodgers mentioned him as players they didn't bother resigning and said Rodgers was stating straight facts.  

Also from all thr beat reporters Rodgers looks ready and is throwing dimes all over the field.

Disclaimer:  Brady is the goat.  Brady has tons of rings.  He deserves pull.

So last year Brady is on a brand new team.  He gets team to trade a 4th for Gronk who didn't play in 2019 lost a ton of weight, riddled with injuries, partying up a storm.  After they already have OJ Howard a high 1st round pick entering his 4th year.  Brate a real quality #2 perhaps the best backup TE at the time other than Goedert.  2 all pro caliber WRs.  Thats great and Brady is a genius.  Then he recruits AB thr biggest headcase in the league and team cancer.  Both of whom may be older than Cobb.

Rodgers, going into his 17th year with thr franchise.  Off his 3rd MVP.  He asks for old teammate Randall Cobb who is in purgatory and could be had ultra cheap.  Thats blasphemy.  Totally uncalled for and who does he think he is.  

Thats hilarious.

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

So last year Brady is on a brand new team.  He gets team to trade a 4th for Gronk who didn't play in 2019 lost a ton of weight, riddled with injuries, partying up a storm.  After they already have OJ Howard a high 1st round pick entering his 4th year.  Brate a real quality #2 perhaps the best backup TE at the time other than Goedert.  2 all pro caliber WRs.  Thats great and Brady is a genius.  Then he recruits AB thr biggest headcase in the league and team cancer.  Both of whom may be older than Cobb.

Rodgers, going into his 17th year with thr franchise.  Off his 3rd MVP.  He asks for old teammate Randall Cobb who is in purgatory and could be had ultra cheap.  Thats blasphemy.  Totally uncalled for and who does he think he is.  

Thats hilarious.

Where is this coming from?

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Where is this coming from?

Brad in here.  A friend of mine had that view.  Talking heads on twitter.  The overall stance that Rodgers wants to be the GM and how dumb that is, shared by a few in here.

Brady asks for 2 guys hell maybe even 3 with Fournette don't remember how that played out.  Already had great weapons....and oh um they win the SB.

Who does Brady think he is wanting to play with his friends!  QBs shouldn't GM! Thry know nothing! They only throw to these guys every day of the season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

So last year Brady is on a brand new team.  He gets Gronk who decided that he'd rather retire than play for Belichick, to play again.  The Bucs who already have OJ Howard, a high 1st round pick entering his 4th year and who's finished all 3 of his first 3 seasons on IR and Brate a real quality #2 perhaps the best backup TE at the time other than Goedert, we able to get Gronk cheap because the Patriots would rather have something than nothing... and take a cap hit.  Even though 25 other teams would've made the same deal, Brady was able to get Gronk to come out of retirement.  That's great and Brady is a genius.  He was able to convince the Bucs to bring in AB, biggest headcase in the league and team cancer.  Both of whom are older, and way better than Cobb.

Brady's biggest accomplishment with the team however, wasn't the personnel, but his input in the game planning and play calling.

Just touched that up for you to make it accurate.

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Rodgers over here making Robert Tonyan into a household name

DND. He’s TD or nothing.  Come to think of it, Green Bay has never had a top notch TE with Rodgers. AR would be right to gripe about that. Jermichael Finley had a bigger name than game.  

23 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Brad in here.  A friend of mine had that view.  Talking heads on twitter.  The overall stance that Rodgers wants to be the GM and how dumb that is, shared by a few in here.

Brady asks for 2 guys hell maybe even 3 with Fournette don't remember how that played out.  Already had great weapons....and oh um they win the SB.

Who does Brady think he is wanting to play with his friends!  QBs shouldn't GM! Thry know nothing! They only throw to these guys every day of the season.

Okay.  You seem a bit worked up.

There are a ton of factors that go into all of the decisions that need to be made.  Win now vs build for the future, offensive/defensive schemes, current talent, current contracts, cap space, team chemistry, and on and on...It's not Rodgers' job to look at all of those factors and make the tough decisions.  Do I think they should include Rodgers on some of the discussions, maybe.  But where do you draw lines on his involvement?  Should he be kept in the loop on contract negotiations for all offensive players so he understands that they're trying to get a deal done, but maybe the player has unrealistic expectations...that way he can't complain later that they didn't get the deal done?  Or do they just keep him in the loop that they want to keep or sign a guy, but are struggling getting a deal done?  Adams is going to want a monster deal.  What are they going to give up to be able to keep him?  Are they going to lay out who needs to get cut/traded/new deals in order to make that happen?  Then Rodgers has a better understanding of why they let him go or what sacrifices needed to be made to keep him.

I've always been of the mindset that if Rodgers was willing to play for less than his market value, he should have a bit of say in where the "savings" are spent.  If he wants to be paid his market value, which I certainly don't blame any player for doing, he doesn't have much room to complain.

Here's my prediction.  Bucs win the Super Bowl again, because duh, they have the best team in the league.  Rodgers, knowing he can't win a Super Bowl until after Brady retires, he plays another year in GB.  After Brady retires after his 3rd straight Super Bowl championship in Tampa following the 2022 season, the Bucs trade pick #32 and Kyle Trask to the Packers (because they'll now know how colossally they f'd up that pick), for Rodgers.  The Bucs will then proceed to win 2 more Super Bowls (winning 5 in a row), and then Rodgers will retire.

The Bucs will then have another 15 years of losing records, bad QB's, terrible coaching, and losing records.

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

DND. He’s TD or nothing.  Come to think of it, Green Bay has never had a top notch TE with Rodgers. AR would be right to gripe about that. Jermichael Finley had a bigger name than game.  

He was the most efficient TE in the league last year by several metrics they factor in.  He caught 52 balls on 59 targets.  He came up through the practice squad undrafted FA out of Indiana St.  Got his first real playing chance last year.  Should be more involved this year.

5 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Okay.  You seem a bit worked up.

There are a ton of factors that go into all of the decisions that need to be made.  Win now vs build for the future, offensive/defensive schemes, current talent, current contracts, cap space, team chemistry, and on and on...It's not Rodgers' job to look at all of those factors and make the tough decisions.  Do I think they should include Rodgers on some of the discussions, maybe.  But where do you draw lines on his involvement?  Should he be kept in the loop on contract negotiations for all offensive players so he understands that they're trying to get a deal done, but maybe the player has unrealistic expectations...that way he can't complain later that they didn't get the deal done?  Or do they just keep him in the loop that they want to keep or sign a guy, but are struggling getting a deal done?  Adams is going to want a monster deal.  What are they going to give up to be able to keep him?  Are they going to lay out who needs to get cut/traded/new deals in order to make that happen?  Then Rodgers has a better understanding of why they let him go or what sacrifices needed to be made to keep him.

I've always been of the mindset that if Rodgers was willing to play for less than his market value, he should have a bit of say in where the "savings" are spent.  If he wants to be paid his market value, which I certainly don't blame any player for doing, he doesn't have much room to complain.

I'm not saying Rodgers can orchestrate and manage the cap building a roster.   I'm saying at the very least with WRs and TEs or just offense....he knows a ton.  At this point yes he does know more of what they need than the GM does.  Doesnt mean he can manage and scout college players and work a salary cap.  If we are all fine with Brady scouting WRs telling them who to bring in on top of the talent they already had....only to win a SB.  I think it is fair to say that if Rodgers wants Jake Kumerow as his 5th WR then holy hell do it.   But instead Rodgers gets backlash for wanting to GM at a micro level.  As if the 3 time mvp 17th year vet of the same franchise he was selected by...has no idea what he is talking about.  

Some of the takes in this thread are absurd.

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I'm not saying Rodgers can orchestrate and manage the cap building a roster.   I'm saying at the very least with WRs and TEs or just offense....he knows a ton.  At this point yes he does know more of what they need than the GM does.  Doesnt mean he can manage and scout college players and work a salary cap.  If we are all fine with Brady scouting WRs telling them who to bring in on top of the talent they already had....only to win a SB.  I think it is fair to say that if Rodgers wants Jake Kumerow as his 5th WR then holy hell do it.   But instead Rodgers gets backlash for wanting to GM at a micro level.  As if the 3 time mvp 17th year vet of the same franchise he was selected by...has no idea what he is talking about.  

Some of the takes in this thread are absurd.

You think some of the takes are absurd, yet it’s exactly how things played out. Perhaps you need to reconsider your take...

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

You think some of the takes are absurd, yet it’s exactly how things played out. Perhaps you need to reconsider your take...

What year 17 his last year they threw him a cookie to come back for 1 more?  Or am I missing your point?

Point is he hasn't got the say most any elite QBs have.  He said he wanted to play for several more years then they turn around and move up to draft his replacement in the 1st.  Only for him to screw it up and win thr MVP.  They gave up on him.  

There is a "Packers Way" any Packers fan knows this.  It creates a very stable franchise.  But not enough championships.   They look to the future too early only to miss out on real chances.  Not understanding that dormant eras can be right around the corner.  

9 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Also from all thr beat reporters Rodgers looks ready and is throwing dimes all over the field.

Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Rog's QB skills. 

In fact, just on pure QB - he's in my top 3. I've never seen a guy, with that canon of an arm, throw so well on the run. And he owns my Cowboys for damn sure, we're his biitch. 

49 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Rog's QB skills. 

In fact, just on pure QB - he's in my top 3. I've never seen a guy, with that canon of an arm, throw so well on the run. And he owns my Cowboys for damn sure, we're his biitch. 

Staubach 2 

Oh goody... Mr. Aaron Kardashian got his way.... You know the same guy who didn't have his destiny in his hands when he signed the original contract. 

Kliff Kingsbury says Kyler Murray has earned thr right to give his input on decisions.  To paraphrase Kyler says it is nice to be able to give input because playing with these guys players have a sense of whos who.  Says whether the team takes the input and uses it or goes a different direction is up to them.  

5 hours ago, joneo said:

Oh goody... Mr. Aaron Kardashian got his way.... You know the same guy who didn't have his destiny in his hands when he signed the original contract. 

His way would have been traded to the 9ers or Broncos at draft time.  They refused and they came to agreement that this is basically his last year here.  

Most people say the Packers got everything they wanted out of what transpired. 

Try to keep up.

16 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

His way would have been traded to the 9ers or Broncos at draft time.  They refused and they came to agreement that this is basically his last year here.  

Try to keep up.

Well, they won't see their backup all year if rodgers stays healthy. So next year, they still won't know what they have in him.

21 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Kliff Kingsbury says Kyler Murray has earned thr right to give his input on decisions.  To paraphrase Kyler says it is nice to be able to give input because playing with these guys players have a sense of whos who.  Says whether the team takes the input and uses it or goes a different direction is up to them.  

Kingsbury is on the verge of getting the boot. I wouldn’t put too much stock in what he has to say. 

27 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Try to keep up.

LOL...what a sword, goo guzzeling schlep of a Packer fan. Oops, you got a little on your chin sport. 

Aaron Rodgers just sunk it in the small net from 50 yards. Crowd went nuts. Rodgers, if my eyes didn’t deceive me, then smiled, pointed at his right bicep, then looked and pointed at team president Mark Murphy. Murphy was laughing right back at him.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:29 AM, Brad GLuckman said:

This is what gets me. All these pundits that say Rodgers should have input on personnel decisions because he has earned it. How has he earned it? Every scout and personnel guy that has devoted their career to player evaluation and building a complete team has earned it more than Rodgers has. 

The Packers just traded for Randall Cobb, which seems like an odd move to placate Rodgers. These are the types of moves they have to make for Rodgers to be happy? It's an awful move to throw away a 6th round draft pick and spend $6 million on a guy that is no better (at this point of his career) than other receivers already fighting for a roster spot. He just happens to be good friends with Rodgers. This is why he shouldn't have input.

Gutekunst can't be making moves to make Rodgers happy because it's his job to keep the team competitive every year. If he goes all in and it doesn't work out, he's out of a job. Hell even if it does work out and they don't have a replacement for Rodgers, he's out of a job. What the average time a GM with no QB lasts in the job before being fired?

Reports are that Rodgers has placed himself as frontrunner for Executive of the Year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Reports are that Rodgers has placed himself as frontrunner for Executive of the Year.

Haha, ok but where were you the first 3 weeks of the season?  

16 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Haha, ok but where were you the first 3 weeks of the season?  

I mean he has been still playing over Amari Rodgers the whole time.  A guy everyone lost their minds over because he and Cobb were "the same guy". Although one is a 3rd round rookie and the other has boat loads of experience.

Cobb is thr 2nd most dependable pass catcher on the team.  Yeah Scantling is the vertical weapon so they are much different but I have seen that guy drop so many balls.  

6th rounder for your 2nd most dependable pass catcher with tons of experience in the league and with your starting QB?

Good deal.  

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I mean he has been still playing over Amari Rodgers the whole time.  A guy everyone lost their minds over because he and Cobb were "the same guy". Although one is a 3rd round rookie and the other has boat loads of experience.

Cobb is thr 2nd most dependable pass catcher on the team.  Yeah Scantling is the vertical weapon so they are much different but I have seen that guy drop so many balls.  

6th rounder for your 2nd most dependable pass catcher with tons of experience in the league and with your starting QB?

Good deal.  

If Cobb keeps this up, then ya obviously a good trade. He sure didn't look washed up on Sunday.

I hope I was wrong on this one. After his performance, they may start using him more. Gotta say it was great seeing him out there again.

Looking more and more like Cobb will be a major part of the offense moving forward. Clutch catch today in OT. I hope they continue to use him when MVS comes back, but it definitely looks like I was wrong about this trade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1