Sign in to follow this  
PDX_EFF

Excited for Gaskin in PPR

I'm really liking Myles Gaskin in PPR. This guy is the perfect target for you if you go WR/Elite TE early. He obviously needs to stay healthy his possible durability issues are already baked into his draft price. 

As for Brown, I'm not worried. He has 6 years in this league and has been nothing other than a JAG. I do agree Brown takes red zone touches away from Gaskin but that's not his main value in PPR... It's his 18.3 touches and 4.1 receptions a game last year. Gaskin amassed 92 scrimmage yds a game in the 10 games he was in (and he wasn't the starter or the gate). Even with regression Gaskin is a great deal as the 21/22 RB off the board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PDX_EFF said:

I'm really liking Myles Gaskin in PPR. This guy is the perfect target for you if you go WR/Elite TE early. He obviously needs to stay healthy his possible durability issues are already baked into his draft price. 

As for Brown, I'm not worried. He has 6 years in this league and has been nothing other than a JAG. I do agree Brown takes red zone touches away from Gaskin but that's not his main value in PPR... It's his 18.3 touches and 4.1 receptions a game last year. Gaskin amassed 92 scrimmage yds a game in the 10 games he was in (and he wasn't the starter or the gate). Even with regression Gaskin is a great deal as the 21/22 RB off the board. 

depending on where you can get him in your draft, he may be good value.

if drafting him I'd also pick up Ahmed late.  My thought is that if he goes down or plays poorly,  Ahmed is most likely to start in his place.

basically Ahmed is a very cheap insurance policy

• Like 1

We've had a lot of discussion about Gaskin already.  The smart money (i.e., Axe Elf) feels that the strong committee approach will leave all three RBs with very little axual fantasy value.  Gaskin will probly have the most value, but I'd hate to be starting him regularly from Week 1.

And then there are some wishful thinkers out there who think Gaskin can be a legitimate RB1.  Hopefully they won't be too disappointed with their RB3.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

And then there are some wishful thinkers out there who think Gaskin can be a legitimate RB1.

I think this is a bit extreme.

I think hes a legitimate RB2.  and if you can get him for the price of an RB3 you're doing ok.

Not sure where his ADP is at right now.  Last I saw it was a bit high for my liking, but that may have changed.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Not sure where his ADP is at right now.  Last I saw it was a bit high for my liking, but that may have changed.

50.08 on RTS today, down 3 spots from the last reckoning.  So late 4th/early 5th.

I wouldn't take him any time Mike Davis is still on the board.

Agree OP. 

Guys in a committee can still return high RB2 value if he’s making plays and scoring. They always just write everyone off as a flex player. For example Nyheim Hines was the RB15 in ppr last season. I’ll give you time to look that up, I know it sounds crazy. JD Mckissic was the RB17. You read that right. 

I have Gaskin on my dynasty team. I don't know that I would say I'm overly excited about him though.

He's currently my RB2, but I'm looking to upgrade that for sure. It's PPR, long TD bonus scoring system. Last season he was ranked 27th at 9.6 ppg.  11.1ppg in the 10 he played.

Obviously he has to stay healthy to be of value, which is a big concern. Also, he's in the perfect situation to get gobbled up by a RBBC and severely limit his value.

I think he's a good flex play with some upside but a good bit of caution as well. I think I would feel much better though if I were able to bring him off the bench instead of having to rely on him in my starting line up each week.

2 hours ago, PDX_EFF said:

Preach. 

Gaskin is the only true homerun threat on the depth chart. Ahmed was decent in his spot starts last year and Brown is JAG. 

But when he was healthy last season, he didn’t share. Idk why axe elf assumes that will suddenly start now.

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

50.08 on RTS today, down 3 spots from the last reckoning.  So late 4th/early 5th.

I wouldn't take him any time Mike Davis is still on the board.

5th is ok.  4th is a little early.   ditto for Mike Davis.  I consider both to be of comparable value.

Gaskin has a bit better upside if he stays healthy all year.  But davis is the safer pick as he isnt sharing carries with anyone.

solid but unspectacular.  That's Davis.  but at that point in the draft (if hes on the board) thats pretty good.

Axel Elf dude was in a share last season in his 10 games. He only had 53% of the teams Rushes during his 10 games but still averaged 18 touches 92yards and half a TD a game. That's really good value from a committee back and it's really hard to not find a committee back at the 4/5 turn. 

9 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

That's really good value from a committee back and it's really hard to not find a committee back at the 4/5 turn. 

It's hard if Mike Davis is gone.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It's hard if Mike Davis is gone.

If Mike Davis keeps his job. 😂 3rd team in 3 years for a reason. He played in 15 games in 2020 3.9ypc (career 3.7), 59 receptions for a whopping 6.3 ypr and 6 total TD's. 

That's a whopping 1,015 combined yards for a whopping 67 yards a game and a TD every third.

Yeah, I'll take the young up and comer over the 8 year JAG with sub par performance any day. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

Axel Elf dude was in a share last season in his 10 games. He only had 53% of the teams Rushes during his 10 games but still averaged 18 touches 92yards and half a TD a game. That's really good value from a committee back and it's really hard to not find a committee back at the 4/5 turn. 

Gaskin wasn’t part of a committee last year. I’m still out of breath repeating myself. Gaskin didn’t share last year. He missed a few games, came back, and resumed being the top dog over Ahmed and Howard and Breida. He didn’t share hardly at all. Check the game logs.

Everyone keeps referring to him as part of a RBBC because what…. Because they brought in garbage Malcolm Brown? 

Gaskin should dominate the RB touches. Not sure where the idea of him sharing comes from. That’s why around round 4-5 he’s an incredible value. LOL to the people like Axe Elf picking Henderson over Gaskin woof yikes.

4 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Gaskin wasn’t part of a committee last year. I’m still out of breath repeating myself. Gaskin didn’t share last year. He missed a few games, came back, and resumed being the top dog over Ahmed and Howard and Breida. He didn’t share hardly at all. Check the game logs.

Everyone keeps referring to him as part of a RBBC because what…. Because they brought in garbage Malcolm Brown? 

Gaskin should dominate the RB touches. Not sure where the idea of him sharing comes from. That’s why around round 4-5 he’s an incredible value. LOL to the people like Axe Elf picking Henderson over Gaskin woof yikes.

53% of the Rushes is the definition of a committee. He had 5 games with more than 14 Rushes he was not a traditional workhorse, his value comes from involvement in all facets of the game. Although I'm not sure why you brought this up, I think dude is pure value and I stated that straight away. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

5th is ok.  4th is a little early.   ditto for Mike Davis.  I consider both to be of comparable value.

Gaskin has a bit better upside if he stays healthy all year.  But davis is the safer pick as he isnt sharing carries with anyone.

solid but unspectacular.  That's Davis.  but at that point in the draft (if hes on the board) thats pretty good.

If he’s a legitimate rb2 , then a fourth round pick would fit right? 

I understand getting later would be better, but fourth seems to be where rb2 go.  

52 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

53% of the Rushes is the definition of a committee. He had 5 games with more than 14 Rushes he was not a traditional workhorse, his value comes from involvement in all facets of the game. Although I'm not sure why you brought this up, I think dude is pure value and I stated that straight away. 

53% of the teams overall carries…? That’s not a good way to look at it. 

When he was out, Ahmed got the bulk of the carries. Look at the games that Gaskin played and notice how no other RBs saw the field when he was playing.

15 minutes ago, weepaws said:

If he’s a legitimate rb2 , then a fourth round pick would fit right? 

I understand getting later would be better, but fourth seems to be where rb2 go.  

true. but most boards have him at or near the 24-26 spots.

I think the value is definitely there in round 5.  in round 4 not nearly as attractive.   I suppose it depends on who else is available(of course).

Lots of times the people you think will be around at a certain point in the draft are not there while others you think will be gone are still there.

I like the guy, but only at the right price.

56 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

there is another thread where I did an analysis on Gaskins usage last year.

the first 4 or 5 games was a committee and he wasnt leading it.  then he won the job and took all the carries when he was healthy enough to do so and he did a good job too.

if you wanna look up that thread I did a pretty detailed breakdown of this.

also worth noting and mentioned by someone else.... when Gaskin was out, Ahmed got nearly all the carries.    to me this tells me the coach wants to have a bell cow and does not really want a committee.

it is also worth noting that a lot of coaches step up in pre season and say the backup will get more work this year and so often we find out it was just coachspeak to motovate some players. 

But the coach of the phins gave that very interview a short while ago suggesting Gaskin is potentially leading a commiittee and thats why people are down on him right now.

what we dont know is whether he means it or whether this is just something that came out of the coaches mouth that means nothing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:

there is another thread where I did an analysis on Gaskins usage last year.

the first 4 or 5 games was a committee and he wasnt leading it.  then he won the job and took all the carries when he was healthy enough to do so and he did a good job too.

if you wanna look up that thread I did a pretty detailed breakdown of this.

also worth noting and mentioned by someone else.... when Gaskin was out, Ahmed got nearly all the carries.    to me this tells me the coach wants to have a bell cow and does not really want a committee.

it is also worth noting that a lot of coaches step up in pre season and say the backup will get more work this year and so often we find out it was just coachspeak to motovate some players. 

But the coach of the phins gave that very interview a short while ago suggesting Gaskin is potentially leading a commiittee and thats why people are down on him right now.

what we dont know is whether he means it or whether this is just something that came out of the coaches mouth that means nothing.

I think your focusing on the wrong part of the post, I think this guy is stupid value! So what if he's not a true bell cow, that only matters in standard (which is a dieing format), in PPR he has a RB1 ceiling so what if he's not a true bell cow.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

in PPR he has a RB1 ceiling

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think you're looking for the "Hot Takes" thread.

1 hour ago, PDX_EFF said:

I think your focusing on the wrong part of the post, I think this guy is stupid value! So what if he's not a true bell cow, that only matters in standard (which is a dieing format), in PPR he has a RB1 ceiling so what if he's not a true bell cow.

I agree, he was #12 in points per game last year, so obviously his ceiling is as a RB#1, but what are the odds that he sees his ceiling.

He probably needs one of the other two RB's to get hurt, since he is the passing down back he will probably need the phins to see more negative game scripts, and he will need to stay healthy.

It is possible, but.....

31 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I agree, he was #12 in points per game last year, so obviously his ceiling is as a RB#1, but what are the odds that he sees his ceiling.

He probably needs one of the other two RB's to get hurt, since he is the passing down back he will probably need the phins to see more negative game scripts, and he will need to stay healthy.

It is possible, but.....

I don't think he's a "passing down" back. He's a high end RB2 who gets plenty of touches and will get plenty of touches even with Ahmed and Brown there (he's just not a Bell cow). His biggest detractors are 1 - They will try to use Brown at the goal line, not a big deal in PPR he will make up for some of it in the passing game but just won't have dbl digit TD's. 2 - Can he start healthy? Your fear of Ahmed and Brown (especially) amuses me 😉

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think you're looking for the "Hot Takes" thread.

This coming from Mike Davis guy 😂🤣😂🤣 Enjoy that subpar efficiency from a JAG on a offense in decline. 

6 minutes ago, PDX_EFF said:

This coming from Mike Davis guy 😂🤣😂🤣 Enjoy that subpar efficiency from a JAG on a offense in decline. 

Whatever it takes to be the RB15.

5 hours ago, PDX_EFF said:

just because he can occasionally score RB1 points does not make him a RB1.

most of the starters out there will at least occasionally put up RB1 numbers.  the difference is that a true RB1 will do it consistently and wont get hurt.

Bottom line: hes an RB2.

depending on how much you adjust for risk due to injury/time share, hes either a low end RB2 or a high end RB3.

if you think he will start the whole year and wont get hurt, maybe you draft him as a high end RB2 but thats as far as it goes.   if you pay a RB1 price for the guy, he would need to squeeze out every ounce of his potential and have a career year doing it to even be close to justifying the price you pay.

dont get me wrong. I like the guy.  I think there is some value at his ADP.   In most of my keeper leagues I have 2 starting RBs and I plan to grab him as my RB3 because hes the kind of player that can put up RB1/2 numbers from time to time when the matchup is right.

but hes not likely to do that every week.  if he was, hed be drafted in the first 2 rounds.

remember hes got a QB who was inconsistent in his rookie year and if the QB doesnt progress, his numbers could go from being very good to not very good in a hurry.

There is risk here.   whether you want to admit it or not.

is there value at his ADP?   Yep.

is he an RB1?   No.  hes not.

sorry bud.

2020 touches (carries + receptions) per game for reference:

Derrick Henry - 24.8

Ezekiel Elliott - 19.73

Myles Gaskin - 19.71

Alvin Kamara - 18.0

Aaron Jones - 17.7

25 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

2020 touches (carries + receptions) per game for reference:

Derrick Henry - 24.8

Ezekiel Elliott - 19.73

Myles Gaskin - 19.71

Alvin Kamara - 18.0

Aaron Jones - 17.7

They definitely kicked his tires last year to see what they had.  Then they sat back, watched film, evaluated talent, and brought in some free agent RB help in the form of Malcolm Brown.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

They definitely kicked his tires last year to see what they had.  Then they sat back, watched film, evaluated talent, and brought in some free agent RB help in the form of Malcolm Brown.

The Titans signed Brian Hill. The Saints signed Devonta Freeman. Should I be worried about Henry and Kamara now?

If RB play was an issue last year they would have addressed it a bit more than just Malcolm Brown and 7th rounder Gerrid Doaks. 

I think the Dolphins were very pleased with both Gaskin and Ahmed last season. 

Similar to what I said about Akers and Henderson last year. If a team wants to win why would they continuously give the ball to the lesser talented player?

Malcolm Brown stinks have you ever turned on a game and actually watched? There is no team in the NFL that can win with him as any kind of feature back. He's simply not good. Warm body.

Said the same about Henderson since last year and look, I knew they would bring someone to share with him because he's simply not good.

You realize that real life teams are incentivized to win more often than not? Unless they're tanking which the Dolphins and Rams are most certainly not.

Even over Kamara wow that’s interesting n

9 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

If RB play was an issue last year they would have addressed it a bit more than just Malcolm Brown and 7th rounder Gerrid Doaks. 

I think the Dolphins were very pleased with both Gaskin and Ahmed last season. 

Similar to what I said about Akers and Henderson last year. If a team wants to win why would they continuously give the ball to the lesser talented player?

Malcolm Brown stinks have you ever turned on a game and actually watched? There is no team in the NFL that can win with him as any kind of feature back. He's simply not good. Warm body.

Said the same about Henderson since last year and look, I knew they would bring someone to share with him because he's simply not good.

You realize that real life teams are incentivized to win more often than not? Unless they're tanking which the Dolphins and Rams are most certainly not.

Yeah, too much over reaction to Brown.  Both Matt Breida and Jordan Howard left.  That's who Brown and Doaks are replacing.  Because of the slightly longer season, Brown may go from averaging 3 carries a game (for his career), to 5 this year.  I expect the Dolphins to run a little bit more, for a more ball controlled offense.  Brown won't cut into Gaskin's workload, just enables him to be more fresh.

The Rams have visions of the Super Bowl in mind.  They brought in Stafford and elevated Akers.  They chose to let Brown walk.  If Brown was that good of a player, they'd have kept him.  He signed a 2 yr/$3.5M deal.  If the Rams thought he'd be valuable and help them win a championship, a measly $1.75M to keep Brown would've been money well spent.  They clearly didn't think much of him, so they let him walk.

He's purely depth in Miami, certainly not a part of a plan to have a committee.

• Like 1

You guys convinced me. I already had him in  one dynasty and i traded for him in another. :banana:

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

You guys convinced me.

At least now you'll know who to blame in October.

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

You guys convinced me. I already had him in  one dynasty and i traded for him in another. :banana:

I like him and have no problem drafting him as my RB2/3 in the 4th/5th/6th round, but I don't know that I'd trade for him in a dynasty league, pending the cost.  In a redraft, I'm willing to accept the risk that he may not be durable.  I don't think I'd take that same risk in a dynasty... again, pending the cost.  What did you give up for him.

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I like him and have no problem drafting him as my RB2/3 in the 4th/5th/6th round, but I don't know that I'd trade for him in a dynasty league, pending the cost.  In a redraft, I'm willing to accept the risk that he may not be durable.  I don't think I'd take that same risk in a dynasty... again, pending the cost.  What did you give up for him.

I know there is the thought out there that hes not durable because of his size.

its worth noting this came up on another thread earlier in the summer and it came out that he was durable in college.   no significant time missed to injury

I personally have zero problem taking him as my RB3.   If taking him as an RB2 then I probably wanna double down and pickup Ahmed late in the draft.

if he loses the starting job, Ahmed is the best candidate.  

I dont consider Brown to be a threat to his job at all.

The real threat is if the coaching staff gives each of them a role (goal line, passing situations) and it turns into a true committee.

thing is... the coach doesnt seem to prefer the committee approach.   when Gaskin got hurt, Ahmed took all the work.  Gaskin returned, and then got all the work himself.

so if taking him earlier than suggested (round 5) double down and grab Ahmed late in your draft.  If your guy goes down, Ahmed is the guy whose number they will call regardless of what the depth chart says.  he performed well while Gaskin was out and deserves the first shot if Gaskin gets hurt.

17 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I know there is the thought out there that hes not durable because of his size.

its worth noting this came up on another thread earlier in the summer and it came out that he was durable in college.   no significant time missed to injury

I personally have zero problem taking him as my RB3.   If taking him as an RB2 then I probably wanna double down and pickup Ahmed late in the draft.

if he loses the starting job, Ahmed is the best candidate.  

I dont consider Brown to be a threat to his job at all.

The real threat is if the coaching staff gives each of them a role (goal line, passing situations) and it turns into a true committee.

thing is... the coach doesnt seem to prefer the committee approach.   when Gaskin got hurt, Ahmed took all the work.  Gaskin returned, and then got all the work himself.

so if taking him earlier than suggested (round 5) double down and grab Ahmed late in your draft.  If your guy goes down, Ahmed is the guy whose number they will call regardless of what the depth chart says.  he performed well while Gaskin was out and deserves the first shot if Gaskin gets hurt.

The reason why I'm willing to take him in a redraft is because he doesn't have a history of being hurt.  But, being hurt last year, on and off, is why I wouldn't be willing to trade an asset in a dynasty league to get him.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I traded James Robinson to @RaiderHaters RevengeRevengeRevengRevengeRevengeRevengRevengeReve

For 

Gaskin.

please ignore the android phone issues.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I traded James Robinson to @RaiderHaters RevengeRevengeRevengRevengeRevengeRevengRevengeReve

For 

Gaskin.

please ignore the android phone issues.

If it’s ok to ask, is it a ppr league? 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

If it’s ok to ask, is it a ppr league? 

Thanks. 

Yeah ppr.

I think Robinson has the higher upside, however he has the worst coach in the NFL. As soon as etn got hurt I wanted to dump him.