Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Derrick Henry's Contract

On Thursday, the Titans restructured Henry's contract, moving $2M from his $12.5M salary in 2023 to this season, making his 2022 salary $14M.  None of his 2023 base salary is guaranteed, and 2023 remains the final year of his contract.

Sounds to me like the Titans are going to ask Henry to carry the team this season, and if he breaks down, oh well.

As a heavy Henry investor, that's both scary and exciting.  If he holds up, we could see records--but can he hold up?

It'll be fun while it lasts, in any case...

Good point.  Henry is obviously on board with this.  Henry was doing phenomenal last year until injured.  Looks like the focal point again this year.  I'm in if I can get him.

I will say Henry can be an annoying player to go against because he would often seem to have something like 12 carries for 28 yards in the early going.  You'd think you'd dodged a bullet and were in good shape, but the Titans kept feeding him and eventually he'd break a couple long ones and end up with 150 yards and 2 or 3 TDs.

Dontrell Hilliard has to be one of my top 10 most owned players this year. He is the clear backup to an older back with tons of carries and was dirt cheap all offseason. I picked him up off the waiver wire in deep leagues and was grabbing him round 19/20 in best balls.

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Dontrell Hilliard has to be one of my top 10 most owned players this year. He is the clear backup to an older back with tons of carries and was dirt cheap all offseason. I picked him up off the waiver wire in deep leagues and was grabbing him round 19/20 in best balls.

While dart throws in the late rounds of a managed league can pay off, you typically don't want to have dart throws on your best ball teams--you want players that can contribute all season.  Besides, it's not like Foreman or Hilliard were tearing things up once Henry got hurt last year.

It will pay off occasionally, but it's not a reliable winning strategy in best ball formats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

While dart throws in the late rounds of a managed league can pay off, you typically don't want to have dart throws on your best ball teams--you want players that can contribute all season.  Besides, it's not like Foreman or Hilliard were tearing things up once Henry got hurt last year.

It will pay off occasionally, but it's not a reliable winning strategy in best ball formats.

Yes but in roun 19-20 in a league with no kicker the pickings are slim. 

A pierce/ p Campbell was my favorite combo there, but you need to diversify, my second favorite combo was Hilliard/ eno Benjamin.

You just need 1 player to have a few weeks from those last 2 rounds.

• Like 1

Henry is going to rock this season. 

19 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Yes but in roun 19-20 in a league with no kicker the pickings are slim.

That's a lot of rounds with no K; no D either?  So you draft like 3 QBs, 6 RBs, 7 WRs, and 4 TEs?

A dart throw backup makes a little more sense in that format, than one in which you are limited to the usual complement of 5 RBs.

40 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's a lot of rounds with no K; no D either?  So you draft like 3 QBs, 6 RBs, 7 WRs, and 4 TEs?

A dart throw backup makes a little more sense in that format, than one in which you are limited to the usual complement of 5 RBs.

Fanduel best balls are 12 teams, 20 rounds, no kicker, no defense.

Going into Age 26 season, Le'Veon Bell had 1541 total touches (1637 including playoffs).  His age 25 season was the last time he was good.  Henry has 1495 total touches (1664 including playoff), as he enters his age 28 season.  I'm thinking the Titans are hoping that Henry has a big year and they could trade him for something of value since he won't be expensive to the team acquiring him.  If he doesn't have a big year, he'll be pennies next year and won't hurt them financially if they have put more money into the RB position.

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Good point.  Henry is obviously on board with this.  Henry was doing phenomenal last year until injured.  Looks like the focal point again this year.  I'm in if I can get him.

wrong.

I like him, but no man can handle 30 carries a game forever. Last year was the signal that may be the reality. 

I am going to scare you with these numbers, but they are the facts.

D. Henry last 3 games (includes cincy playoff game)

20 att - 62 yds - 1td - no catches (Cincy)

28 att - 68 yds - 0td - no catches and a fumble. (Indy) Before injury.

29 att - 86 yds - 0td - 2 catches 16 yds. (KC)

So you heard it from me first. D. Henry in his last 3 games was HORRIBLE! 77 att for 216 yds (that is 2.8yds a carry!) 1 TD.

Elf jinxed him last year and look what happened!

22 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

He did throw more TD passes in that game than Mahomes did, tho...

29 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

wrong.

I like him, but no man can handle 30 carries a game forever. Last year was the signal that may be the reality. 

So you heard it from me first. D. Henry in his last 3 games was HORRIBLE! 77 att for 216 yds (that is 2.8yds a carry!) 1 TD.

Henry was on a historic pace before the foot injury. RBs usually stop showing burst when they start hitting the wall (see Zeke). I do not see that from him yet. He is unique like AP was so hard to say when he falls off the cliff but would bet later rather than sooner. 

1 hour ago, justforbeer said:

wrong.

Your limited, cherry picked, sample size includes the game he was hurt and the game he hurried back for.  And the KC game prior to injury was not horrible, as Axe points out, Henry also threw for a TD.  Henry's ppg were the best of the RBs.  And for this year there is going to be the same coach, same QB, and all signs point to the same philosophy.  

Of course there is the chance of injury.  But it's a chance I'm willing to take if I get the opportunity.

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Your limited, cherry picked, sample size includes the game he was hurt and the game he hurried back for.  And the KC game prior to injury was not horrible, as Axe points out, Henry also threw for a TD.  Henry's ppg were the best of the RBs.  And for this year there is going to be the same coach, same QB, and all signs point to the same philosophy.  

Of course there is the chance of injury.  But it's a chance I'm willing to take if I get the opportunity.

Amen. 

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Cherry picked?  It was his last 3 games.  He did not play hurt either. once hurt, near the end of the game. He was out. My point is that it could be a sign of what is to come. Go ahead and ignore it.  I won't. 

Also, he is 28 and will be 29 this season. History shows, the end is near.....very near. There is so many miles on the tread.....

33 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Cherry picked?  It was his last 3 games.  He did not play hurt either. once hurt, near the end of the game. He was out. My point is that it could be a sign of what is to come. Go ahead and ignore it.  I won't. 

Also, he is 28 and will be 29 this season. History shows, the end is near.....very near. There is so many miles on the tread.....

I agree.  He could prove me wrong as I often am. He also has one of the worse offensive lines with the departure of two guys and no Brown to help take some of the pressure off. He fell dramatically in my full PPR draft and I passed on him.  

5 minutes ago, joeshushu said:

I agree.  He could prove me wrong as I often am. He also has one of the worse offensive lines with the departure of two guys and no Brown to help take some of the pressure off. He fell dramatically in my full PPR draft and I passed on him.  

Yeah, I did not even look at that.  The deck is stacked, against him.

Henry Vs a stacked deck, he has them right where he wants them.  

The oldest man in recorded history lived to 115 years old.  

Derrick Henry only has 87 years to go!  He's so close.

Methuselah was 969 years old, Henry as plenty of playing time ahead.