Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

No deal for Lamar Jackson

Hearing he turned down 200 mil guaranteed.  Wants the Watson contract as a starting point.  Very risky on both sides.  Ravens can tag him the next 2 seasons.  I live in Baltimore and it is all anyone is talking about.  Personally would tag and trade him after this season for a major haul

46 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

Hearing he turned down 200 mil guaranteed.  Wants the Watson contract as a starting point.  Very risky on both sides.  Ravens can tag him the next 2 seasons.  I live in Baltimore and it is all anyone is talking about.  Personally would tag and trade him after this season for a major haul

I wouldnt pay 200 mil for him.  hes not better than Watson and if he thinks he is, nobody will give him that kind of money(or at least... nobody should)

If I'm Baltimore I let him play out this contract, Franchise him for one year,  and then let him go

in the interim, if he or the team performs poorly you move up the timeline and draft a new QB.

The Ravens have received from Jackson the game that everyone else knew he would bring to the nfl.  

They cant complain imo.  

20 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The Ravens have received from Jackson the game that everyone else knew he would bring to the nfl.  

They cant complain imo.  

its not about that.

the issue is that Running QBs dont last in this league.   by 31 he will probably be done.  at the age of 26 or 27 hes gonna want a 6 or 7 year deal and that deal wont make sense.

its also possible he will be done by the age of 29 like Cam Newton.    its hugely risky to do a long term deal with a running QB.     Thats a fact.

if they can sign him to a 5 year deal when his contract is up, it might be ok.  key word being Might.   the reality is the last 2 years of that deal will probably not be team friendly.

smarter move is to franchise him.  maybe franchise him a second time, but even then I think thats a bad move.

then get a new younger QB.    The running QB is a young mans game.   you cant continue to play that style once you get older than around 28 or so.  you need to convert to a throwing QB at some point and Throwing the ball isnt Jacksons best asset as a QB.   its his running ability that makes him special, and by the time hes 30 that ability wont be special anymore.   and his arm isnt good enough to make up for it.

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

They cant complain imo.  

Doesn't mean they have to pay him though

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

its not about that.

the issue is that Running QBs dont last in this league.   by 31 he will probably be done.  at the age of 26 or 27 hes gonna want a 6 or 7 year deal and that deal wont make sense.

its also possible he will be done by the age of 29 like Cam Newton.    its hugely risky to do a long term deal with a running QB.     Thats a fact.

if they can sign him to a 5 year deal when his contract is up, it might be ok.  key word being Might.   the reality is the last 2 years of that deal will probably not be team friendly.

smarter move is to franchise him.  maybe franchise him a second time, but even then I think thats a bad move.

then get a new younger QB.    The running QB is a young mans game.   you cant continue to play that style once you get older than around 28 or so.  you need to convert to a throwing QB at some point and Throwing the ball isnt Jacksons best asset as a QB.   its his running ability that makes him special, and by the time hes 30 that ability wont be special anymore.   and his arm isnt good enough to make up for it.

I think he will be lucky to last as long as Cam. Cam's about 40- 50 lbs bigger.

Considering he slipped a bit last season, I would franchise him for two seasons and let him walk

58 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Doesn't mean they have to pay him though

No it doesn’t mean they have to pay him, but they received the player they drafted.  I think they really thought they could make him into a passer.  

If one wants to own him this could be a good season to do so.  He should be plenty motivated. 

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

True, but Cam Initiated and took plenty of hard hits. LJax, rarely takes big hits, and most running plays he just runs out of bounds…

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Considering he slipped a bit last season, I would franchise him for two seasons and let him walk

likely.    Cam took some monster hits and played behind a terrible line.

I said hed be done by 31.   but in reality it could be sooner.   Vick and McNabb lasted beyond that point but were in decline at 30 and Vicks career was longer because he had time away from the game due to dogfighting.  had he played those years, he may have been out sooner.

in reality the sample size is too small.   31 as a max age makes sense based on what we have seen, but it could very well be 28 or 29 when hes done. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

likely.    Cam took some monster hits and played behind a terrible line.

I said hed be done by 31.   but in reality it could be sooner.   Vick and McNabb lasted beyond that point but were in decline at 30 and Vicks career was longer because he had time away from the game due to dogfighting.  had he played those years, he may have been out sooner.

in reality the sample size is too small.   31 as a max age makes sense based on what we have seen, but it could very well be 28 or 29 when hes done. 

McNabb didn't really run quite as much as those other guys but he still took some big hits and got some big injuries. Vick was just superhuman. That guy took more big hits than any QB I've ever seen and he just picked himself up off the turf and played on.

7 hours ago, polecatt said:

McNabb didn't really run quite as much as those other guys but he still took some big hits and got some big injuries. Vick was just superhuman. That guy took more big hits than any QB I've ever seen and he just picked himself up off the turf and played on.

yeah, but both guys were already looking like a shadow of their former selves at still a very young age.  I guess that was my point in this thread.   Newton, those guys, look at RG3.  he was oft injured while he was still young.   the running QB is a dream of many but a nightmare if they cant stay healthy and they generally have a smaller window to make money than your pocket passers.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt pay 200 mil for him.  hes not better than Watson and if he thinks he is, nobody will give him that kind of money(or at least... nobody should)

I’m not sure if it’s as much that he’s better than Watson, moreso he’s almost as good and didn’t have 20+ sexual misconduct allegations 

8 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I’m not sure if it’s as much that he’s better than Watson, moreso he’s almost as good and didn’t have 20+ sexual misconduct allegations 

I'm not sure I'd say hes almost as good.   that only applies for fantasy.   Watson is considerably better than Lamar.   Not that Lamar is that bad, but Watson, (when hes not suspended for molesting someone) is that good.

Watson is definitely a step or two  higher than Jackson and in my opinion its not even close.

He looked good today.   Might be a surprise this year, then likely letdown next year when he's drafted high again. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:13 PM, drdelaware said:

Meanwhile, he has now pulled off four straight games as "poor man's Marcus Mariota".