Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Live Christmas trees

Getting a live one this year instead of going with the fake tree. Anybody got any tips to keep the tree alive longer and looking fresher for the month? Plan on going to get it next week after our tree stand comes in so any advice on keeping it alive and fresh would be greatly appreciated fellas :cheers: 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

There is no such thing as a live one. Once you cut it down it’s dead 😂 and you’re just keeping it on life support 

Come on bro. Don’t be that guy 

Noble fir or Frasier fir will last the longest.

We get a real tree every year, ours is already up infact.

We got our 9 foot fraser fir yesterday, looks and smells great.

But fock man the price, b!tch was $180!  We've been going to the same local place for 20 years.  I remember when these trees were $70, then they started creeping up about 5 years ago.  When covid hit they went over $100, then last year was $120, now $180.  For a dead tree I'm gonna throw into the woods in a month.

But whatever, tis the season to be merry.

Also plain tap water, no other bs.  Fresh cut, water every day.

Best bet to keeping it alive is not cutting it down in the first place. If you’re hell bent on cutting it down, make sure you frequently replenish the water in the stand. Good luck!

We cut down a Fraser Fir every year.

what you should do is every year plant a new pine in a 15 gallon pot, feed it and keep it healthy, after 7 years you will have a nice size tree, and each year you just bring in the pot and then when done take it and plant it afterwards, that would be a good tradition

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

what you should do is every year plant a new pine in a 15 gallon pot, feed it and keep it healthy, after 7 years you will have a nice size tree, and each year you just bring in the pot and then when done take it and plant it afterwards, that would be a good tradition

Eco friendly. I like it 

I plan on getting a real tree this year as well.  There is a tree farm near my house.  I have never been there before and holy cow, I hope they are not anywhere near $180.

When I was married we used to go to a place up north that sold Blue Spruces.  They would give you a handsaw and you walked around until you found a tree and cut it down yourself.  

Nothing like mixing Christmas and the potential to have a heart attack.  I'd get halfway through and be like, damn, this sh1ts like work.

33 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I plan on getting a real tree this year as well.  There is a tree farm near my house.  I have never been there before and holy cow, I hope they are not anywhere near $180.

When I was married we used to go to a place up north that sold Blue Spruces.  They would give you a handsaw and you walked around until you found a tree and cut it down yourself.  

Nothing like mixing Christmas and the potential to have a heart attack.  I'd get halfway through and be like, damn, this sh1ts like work.

I done the walking around and handsaw tree thing once,

5 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I done the walking around and handsaw tree thing once,

I used to live in Twining, Michigan, and west of us was this amazing tree farm.  We went there once and it became a thing.  To me, regardless of the struggle, it's Christmas. 

42 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I’ve been looking for a good tree stand but I just ordered a $70 on Amazon. It was the only one I found online and in store that actually had good reviews, looked sturdy enough, and had a water reservoir. Hoping the trees ain’t no damn $180. There’s a place that sells them every year around this time so I’m gonna go pick me up one next weekend from there 

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I used to live in Twining, Michigan, and west of us was this amazing tree farm.  We went there once and it became a thing.  To me, regardless of the struggle, it's Christmas. 

Yea it's kinda cool to do and did it the first year I met my GF and Tree was for her family I cut down. Pretty nice tree farm and think they are still in business today. It's cool tradition to have.

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve been looking for a good tree stand but I just ordered a $70 on Amazon. It was the only one I found online and in store that actually had good reviews, looked sturdy enough, and had a water reservoir. Hoping the trees ain’t no damn $180. There’s a place that sells them every year around this time so I’m gonna go pick me up one next weekend from there 

I was actually looking last night for a real tree tree stand and was stunned at the prices.  Are you kidding me?  Which one did you choose?

It's a focking tree stand.  I can buy a TV for that price.

1 minute ago, fandandy said:

I was actually looking last night for a real tree tree stand and was stunned at the prices.  Are you kidding me?  Which one did you choose?

Wow I still have a old one in my cellar and didn't think they was worth much.

1 minute ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Wow I still have a old one in my cellar and didn't think they was worth much.

I don't they are collectible and worth much but I was shocked at how much they cost.  I expected like twenty bucks for something solid.  Nope.

For the last 15 years I can tell you that half or more of the housefires I handle in December are tree-related. 

They sell some kind of chemical you add to the water that keeps the tree fresh looking for weeks.  Also need to keep it well watered and the environment not humid.  Live trees simply crush fake trees. 

20 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I don't they are collectible and worth much but I was shocked at how much they cost.  I expected like twenty bucks for something solid.  Nope.

Yea same here now.