Sign in to follow this  
Have you ever managed a team that wasn't your favorite in this league?

Every year I had played, I did...  Has anyone else managed a team that wasn't your favorite?

The very first season I joined this league I thought it would be fun to manage the Miami Marlins. I really have no idea why. My favorite team has been the Rays since 7th/8th grade and before that I was a Yankee boy. 

Ran with Cleveland for a few years after Dombrowski made it impossible to even fill a roster. Now Avila has just about done the same. 

I'd say the Braves are still my favorite team but I've was also following the minors for Blue Jays with the NH Fishercats and have become a huge fan. Now if Nashville gets a team in the future I may have to switch because I will jump on that local team now that I've moved from NH to TN.
Between you, Burt and others all loving the Braves it was just an easy choice because I like this league.

Early in the league, I had a couple of different teams (Florida...Pre-Miami days x 2, Texas x 1, Philly x4 ) because GB had the Braves.  It was fun to just to do something different but I took the Braves in 2012.

Yeah, being a Braves fan since the Murphy years, I was bummed when I joined and they were taken...  I thought I took the Twins one year, but I don't see it in the history (might have been before it started saving things?) and one year I took the Diamondbacks...  I thought I did the Pirates one year, but I don't remember for sure...  After that, I took the Nationals because I live in Northern Virginia and with them finally getting a team, I decided to try them out...

I think if I did come back in a future year, I would probably try a different squad again instead of the Nationals...

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Early in the league, I had a couple of different teams (Florida...Pre-Miami days x 2, Texas x 1, Philly x4 ) because GB had the Braves.  It was fun to just to do something different but I took the Braves in 2012.

I always appreciated you passing the Rangers along to me back in the Jim Thome days.  I nearly took the Reds just to get into the league that year. 👍

ETA:  That was 2007 I think?

I use this league to supercharge my Os fandom.  I wouldn't really have much interest in repping a different team. 🤔

Angels only since our inception in '04 (20 teams). Like Mookz said, I have no interest repping a different team.

Started and have stuck with the Sox since I join in 2014. Somewhat interested in trying another team some year but don't know that I have the time to do all the player research that would come with it.

5 minutes ago, BlackClouds said:

Angels only since our inception in '04 (20 teams). Like Mookz said, I have no interest repping a different team.

wow, you guys had 20 teams in 2004?  I wish we could get more active owners. It's crazy that a baseball homers league does not have teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies represented. It makes the supplemental more "fun" but the regular draft would be so much more interesting. 

Just now, bbascom said:

Started and have stuck with the Sox since I join in 2014. Somewhat interested in trying another team some year but don't know that I have the time to do all the player research that would come with it.

Most years I would do my research via the "all-time" players search engine on the Rays website. I think most teams have them. I know I passed that info along to dcb and also used it for the Marlins my first season. The link definitely doesn't work this year and may not have worked the past couple seasons. 

Fortunately I made a very detailed spreadsheet 4-5 seasons ago and I just do a bit of research to update it. 

It might be interesting if each active owner controlled 2 teams... then again I think you'd always try harder with your favorite squad and there would probably be an element of self dealing that you just can't avoid. 

Maybe we can collectively try to recruit 2 new owners well ahead of next season so we can get back to 14.

• Like 1

I use this baseball database CSV and import what I need to a database and manipulate it...

https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank/tree/master/core

It has who has played for what team since 2003, starting if they were rostered since 2020...  Meaning that if they played in 2020, but then didn't play in MLB in 2021 due to an injury and maybe 2022 in Japan but is back for 2023 in MLB, they are still there...

It just doesn't do anything with the current year...

26 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

wow, you guys had 20 teams in 2004?  I wish we could get more active owners. It's crazy that a baseball homers league does not have teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies represented. It makes the supplemental more "fun" but the regular draft would be so much more interesting. 

Wow, 20 teams would have been incredible...  I think when I joined it was 16?

Yeah I am surprised that the Yankees and Phillies aren't taken (and now Dodgers since Ted has passed)...  HT and MDC would be the owners to get since they are fans of those teams...  But I don't know if MDC plays fantasy baseball and HT is just an ass who probably wouldn't join anyway since he is an ass...

um that would be boring

1 minute ago, cmh6476 said:

um that would be boring

You already have that with the Royals...

20 minutes ago, posty said:

I use this baseball database CSV and import what I need to a database and manipulate it...

https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank/tree/master/core

It has who has played for what team since 2003, starting if they were rostered since 2020...  Meaning that if they played in 2020, but then didn't play in MLB in 2021 due to an injury and maybe 2022 in Japan but is back for 2023 in MLB, they are still there...

It just doesn't do anything with the current year...

I may be too stoopid to pull this off, but what do you do after clicking the link?  I was thinking "Appearances.csv" is the one to get, but it looks like that's all-time data, and the players' names are cut off. 🤔

15 minutes ago, posty said:

Yeah I am surprised that the Yankees and Phillies aren't taken (and now Dodgers since Ted has passed)...  HT and MDC would be the owners to get since they are fans of those teams...  But I don't know if MDC plays fantasy baseball and HT is just an ass who probably wouldn't join anyway since he is an ass...

I would absolutely never invite either of them. More likely to invite MDC.

I've noticed Crackattack possibly talking a lot about his Guardians. He's always been a good dude. 

49 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I may be too stoopid to pull this off, but what do you do after clicking the link?  I was thinking "Appearances.csv" is the one to get, but it looks like that's all-time data, and the players' names are cut off. 🤔

Well that was what I was saying, you really only need there CSV files (under core):  Batting.csv, Pitching.csv and People.csv

Then, there is a lot of data manipulation necessary, but once it is done, it shows every player on every team...  I have done this so much it takes me only about 30 minutes now to get the spreadsheet ready...

If anyone wants to see the final product, send me a message with your email address and I will email it to you...

Took a quick look back on Yahoo.

My first year was 2012 as the Miami White Marlins :lol: (we came in 7th) and there were 16 teams

in 2013 I switched to my favorite Rays (Tampa Gheys) and finished 12th of 16 teams

in 2014 we dropped to 14 teams for whatever reason. I know there was a year where Edjr quit mid draft because of his draw in the supplemental. 

1 hour ago, posty said:

MDC...is that the same person from the good ol' days of this board?  The Silverback era?

14 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Took a quick look back on Yahoo.

My first year was 2012 as the Miami White Marlins :lol: (we came in 7th) and there were 16 teams

in 2013 I switched to my favorite Rays (Tampa Gheys) and finished 12th of 16 teams

in 2014 we dropped to 14 teams for whatever reason. I know there was a year where Edjr quit mid draft because of his draw in the supplemental. 

Also first year 2012, Max Fisting (9th).

22 minutes ago, Burt said:

MDC...is that the same person from the good ol' days of this board?  The Silverback era?

maybe? I don't think I am from the silverback era... at least not at the geek club. I might have been around that time as a main bored exclusively talking fantasy football. 

Yeah, there was a poster named Monkey DeathCar or something like that. I'm referring to the 2000-2005 timeframe.

37 minutes ago, Burt said:

Yeah, there was a poster named Monkey DeathCar or something like that. I'm referring to the 2000-2005 timeframe.

i don't think we are talking about the same poster. I joined FFT in 2003/04 under a handle I couldn't recover and made this one in 2005 but didn't venture to the cesspool of the geek club for quite a while. 

MDC gets into political slapfights on the liberal side and is a big Philly fan. He and I have gone back and forth on NBA conversations over the years. 

i'm pretty sure MDC is the old Moneky DeathCar moniker

We have talked about repping 2 teams before.  It mostly was not supported for the simple homer reason.  While it would expand the draft and eligibility it does take away from the "fan" aspect McBokonon originally brought in with this concept with Pirates back in '04.
We tried this format with football for a year and that didn't work at all.
20 teams was fun but way different.  Lot of research, let of challenges and strategy.  I think the 16, right at half the league would be ideal.  Yes I know it's 30 but I can't imagine that their isn't going to expand either to 32 in the current market.  Nashville (Cin/Atl)?  Vegas (LA)?  Charlotte (Atl/Was)?  None of these would really gouge a geographical area for a current team.  Portland is another possibility but it would have to be a dome I think and while the metro is more deserving than any of these others I think of a MLB team, it feels like it cuts in on Seattle more than these others.  But I digress to other topics.
Looked back, GB Braves from 04-10 and then Jays ever since.  20 years... wow

4 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

We have talked about repping 2 teams before.  It mostly was not supported for the simple homer reason.  While it would expand the draft and eligibility it does take away from the "fan" aspect McBokonon originally brought in with this concept with Pirates back in '04.

yeah, I was trying to think of what other team I would even rep. I mentioned I was a Yankee fan as a kid, until 7th/8th grade but I despise the Yankees now so not them. The Mets are the team I cheer for in the NL and I go to games. My brother, dad, uncle, grandmother are all fans. Hence why my brother currently reps the Mets. 

I guess I would end up using the Marlins just because of my first season and to keep it an all Florida affair. 

But it would be weird. As much as I would enjoy the research and challenge and would compete as best I could, I would always prioritize the Rays and can't imagine there would be any way to be impartial with shared players... Joey Wendle comes immediately to mind. And that is a C level player. I can't imagine if I had shared A level talent. 

@Mookz: Have you had a chance to play around with the spreadsheet?

I tried to send you a message, but it says you "cannot receive messages"...

9 minutes ago, posty said:

@Mookz: Have you had a chance to play around with the spreadsheet?

I tried to send you a message, but it says you "cannot receive messages"...

Ah, I guess I have to clear out some stuff in my inbox. 

I haven't had a chance to fool around with it too much yet.  It probably does not contain the offseason transactions coming into 2023 which I guess would have to be manual additions, so it may end up being a good template for future drafts.  I think to really dial it in, I would want to get rid of the teams (columns) that are not in the league, and then get rid of any player with a "COUNT" of 1.  (And then there would be some formulas to rebuild in the "LIST" column.)  That would seem to leave only disputed players.  But it is a very cool spreadsheet.  :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Ah, I guess I have to clear out some stuff in my inbox. 

I haven't had a chance to fool around with it too much yet.  It probably does not contain the offseason transactions coming into 2023 which I guess would have to be manual additions, so it may end up being a good template for future drafts.  I think to really dial it in, I would want to get rid of the teams (columns) that are not in the league, and then get rid of any player with a "COUNT" of 1.  (And then there would be some formulas to rebuild in the "LIST" column.)  That would seem to leave only disputed players.  But it is a very cool spreadsheet.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, one could always do some more clearing (or hiding) of columns and such...  I just have it like that for all teams...

Like you said, this is only through the 2022 season, it doesn't do anything from the off-season as the rosters in yahoo would reflect the current teams...

And thanks for saying it is cool...  I did this because cmh also talked about how MLB.com had the Royals history of players, but I could never find the Nationals...  Found this baseball database and proceeded to create the spreadsheet before you...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Yeah, one could always do some more clearing (or hiding) of columns and such...  I just have it like that for all teams...

Like you said, this is only through the 2022 season, it doesn't do anything from the off-season as the rosters in yahoo would reflect the current teams...

Oh right, just deleting the Xs in the columns of the teams that aren't represented, and then hiding those columns works better - no formulas to rebuild.  

Yep...  I could probably have gone through more and removed teams not in the league, but figured that if I ever wanted to change from the Nationals, it was all there...