Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Aside from national security, what do you need from the government?

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

It’s never going to happen because the toothpaste is out of the tube so this is a fruitless exercise but I appreciate your responses in this thread so I’d envision it similar to any other private industry.  Company X creates a school in Town A because there is a need in the market.  They want to provide the best product so parents send their child there but also have to keep the price down to remain competitive.  The whole Econ 101 thing.  

While you pay out of pocket for school, theoretically that would be offset by paying less taxes because the government isnt spending a bazillion dollars on schools.  

And similar to the safety nets for our poor, sick and downtrodden the government could have a voucher program for poor kids to use for tuition.  Think Medicare for school.  

Look it’s never going to happen but if we had a Time Machine and started over it could.  

It's an interesting idea, and I know we're just wasting time discussing it, but that's fine. I still can't figure out where the profit is, especially in rural areas. If you need to build a school that will only service 150 kids K-12, how could that possibly be profitable? I've lived in a couple of these places, and education is already a shambles; what's going to incentivize a huge corporate investment with such little potential ROI?

24 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Who is building all those private schools? Who decides the curriculum? How many private schools are available to poor inner city kids, or poor rural kids?

Inner city parents are the ones that want charter schools the most. 

11 minutes ago, Fnord said:

It's an interesting idea, and I know we're just wasting time discussing it, but that's fine. I still can't figure out where the profit is, especially in rural areas. If you need to build a school that will only service 150 kids K-12, how could that possibly be profitable? I've lived in a couple of these places, and education is already a shambles; what's going to incentivize a huge corporate investment with such little potential ROI?

I haven’t worked out all the details.  :unsure: :lol:

And I’m not saying government doesn’t have any role.  They make the rules, like in the banking industry or any industry.  Certain guidelines have to be adhered too, etc.  and maybe government run public schools was right choice I’m just brainstorming. 

My overarching point goes back to my first post in this thread.  Government has a role in civilized societies but when it can be done by the people or private sector I will always err on that side. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Inner city parents are the ones that want charter schools the most. 

Makes sense. But no school, no matter how reputable, can overcome the deficit created through a lack of good, engaged parents. 

22 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Makes sense. But no school, no matter how reputable, can overcome the deficit created through a lack of good, engaged parents. 

Yeah,  but there are good parents, unfortunately they have to suffer because of the bad ones. That’s why they want to get away from them.  

On 10/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, GutterBoy said:

You're moving the goal posts.  I don't need govt water, prove me wrong.

Easily. Right after Katrina I passed out seven semis of water, and seven of ice and MRE’s. Have you ever volunteered your time to give water paid for and provided by the government?Paying taxes doesn’t count.

5 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Easily. Right after Katrina I passed out seven semis of water, and seven of ice and MRE’s. Have you ever volunteered your time to give water paid for and provided by the government?Paying taxes doesn’t count.

But I wasn't impacted by Katrina.  When we had our hurricane, I had 25 gallons of water saved for my family.

And while I have not volunteered to hand out govt water, I do volunteer my time money to cook, pack and deliver meals for people that are unable to feed themselves.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:26 PM, Fnord said:

I agree with you here, a private-only model doesn't work for sparsely populated areas.

24 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

But I wasn't impacted by Katrina.  When we had our hurricane, I had 25 gallons of water saved for my family.

And while I have not volunteered to hand out govt water, I do volunteer my time money to cook, pack and deliver meals for people that are unable to feed themselves.

LEARN TO CODE!!!!  ITS EASY!!!

You're a Grade A moron.  :lol:

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

LEARN TO CODE!!!!  ITS EASY!!!

You're a Grade A moron.  :lol:

Why do you keep saying learn to code?

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Why do you keep saying learn to code?

You really don't know? You voted for the guy.... 

50 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Bullshit. You’re here yapping like a lapdog every day.  Cut the crap.