Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Bears get Sweat

The 2-6 Chicago Bears have bought pass rush aid ahead of the NFL's trade deadline today.

The Bears and Washington Commanders are in agreement on a trade that sends edge rusher Montez Sweat to Chicago in exchange for a second-round pick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday, per sources informed of the swap.

Sweat immediately bolsters the group. The former first-round pick led the Commanders with 6.5 sacks through eight games in 2023 and has 27 total pressures, per PFF. In four and a half seasons in Washington, Sweat has generated 35.5 sacks.

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-trading-de-montez-sweat-to-bears-for-second-round-pick

This makes NO sense to me at all.  They gave up a 2nd round pick for a guy who'll be a free agent at seasons end.  Even if they plan on tagging him to keep him, that's just throwing gas on a fire.  You're adding short term expense to a team not ready to compete.  They're better off keeping the pick and hanging on to a 2nd round pick for 4+ years.

Probably not going to end up nearly as bad as the Claypool trade, but why?

They're not going anywhere this year, so that pick is almost certainly going to be a high one. Is a high second rounder worth having first dibs to try to sign him, rather than trying to get him on the open market?

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This makes NO sense to me at all.  They gave up a 2nd round pick for a guy who'll be a free agent at seasons end.  Even if they plan on tagging him to keep him, that's just throwing gas on a fire.  You're adding short term expense to a team not ready to compete.  They're better off keeping the pick and hanging on to a 2nd round pick for 4+ years.

If they don't sign him to an extension, I'll agree. But do you seriously think it's only for this year?

13 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Probably not going to end up nearly as bad as the Claypool trade, but why?

They're not going anywhere this year, so that pick is almost certainly going to be a high one. Is a high second rounder worth having first dibs to try to sign him, rather than trying to get him on the open market?

Where will Sweat be next year? 🤔

17 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

If they don't sign him to an extension, I'll agree. But do you seriously think it's only for this year?

From the Bears' perspective?  No.  From Sweat's?  Yes.  He's not going to re-sign.  They only way he's in Chicago next year is if he's tagged.  I can't imagine a guy signing his last chance pay day with a team who isn't on a positive trajectory.

According to Spotrac.com, Sweat has a market value of $25M AAV over 5 years.  The dude is 27 years old now.  He's not going to sign back with the Bears unless they overpay him, by a lot.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

From the Bears' perspective?  No.  From Sweat's?  YesHe's not going to re-sign.  They only way he's in Chicago next year is if he's tagged.  I can't imagine a guy signing his last chance pay day with a team who isn't on a positive trajectory.

Wait. You have info on this? He said he won't take an extension? Is there some kind of link or something to where he said no? 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

Wait. You have info on this? He said he won't take an extension?

Common sense is all.  The Bears are a bad team heading in the wrong direction.  Sweat will be a free agent who's likely to command a $25M AAV worth $100M+.  Only an idiot would sign that deal in that situation.  Now, if you know that Sweat is an idiot, well then that's different.  I don't know him personally, but I'm guessing that he's not an idiot.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Common sense is all.  The Bears are a bad team heading in the wrong direction.  Sweat will be a free agent who's likely to command a $25M AAV worth $100M+.  Only an idiot would sign that deal in that situation.  Now, if you know that Sweat is an idiot, well then that's different.  I don't know him personally, but I'm guessing that he's not an idiot.

So the Bears had no contact with Sweat?

And you think the Bears traded a 2nd rounder for a player in a lost year?

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

So the Bears had no contact with Sweat?

Don't know.  Like I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not an idiot.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Don't know.  Like I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not an idiot.

So you know nothing. Got it. 

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Do you know that the Bears had contract with Sweat?

Just happened recently. So no. If they don't sign him to a contracr then it's a focking mess. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

Just happened recently. So no. If they don't sign him to a contracr then it's a focking mess. 

Ok, so you're giving the benefit of the doubt to the Bears, I'm giving it to Sweat.   I don't see what the big deal is.

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ok, so you're giving the benefit of the doubt to the Bears, I'm giving it to Sweat.   I don't see what the big deal is.

All I'm saying is the plan better be having him on the team for the next couple years. It would be mind blowing to me if he walks. 

Do you really think the Bears take him on only  for half of a losing season for a second round pick? 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

All I'm saying is the plan better be having him on the team for the next couple years. It would be mind blowing to me if he walks. 

Do you really think the Bears take him on for half of a losing season? 

Going by Spotrac.com, in that Sweat's market value is $25.5M AAV ($102M overall), I can see Sweat taking an extension for $30M AAV and/or the entire contract being guaranteed.  Otherwise, I can't understand why he'd sign there.  Like I said, the Bears aren't good and on a downward trajectory.  Who would want to sign a long term contract there... unless they're getting overpaid?

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Going by Spotrac.com, in that Sweat's market value is $25.5M AAV ($102M overall), I can see Sweat taking an extension for $30M AAV and/or the entire contract being guaranteed.  Otherwise, I can't understand why he'd sign there.  Like I said, the Bears aren't good and on a downward trajectory.  Who would want to sign a long term contract there... unless they're getting overpaid?

ok. So you think the Bears traded a second round pick in a year of they know they are losing for a guy they won't have next year.. 

Got it. 

43 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Wait. You have info on this? He said he won't take an extension? Is there some kind of link or something to where he said no? 

wait, you have info on this? He said he will take an extension? Is there some kind of link or something where he said yes?

It's a complete guessing game by us.... but what we do know is that there will be a bunch of teams interested in the services of a good to great pass rusher. There will be plenty of suitors. Chicago has no advantage aside from the ability to tag him (which won't make him happy) and as was already pointed out, just throws gas on the fire spending up for a year of production rather than using that pick on a player they can control for 4+ years since they are rebuilding and all. 

maybe he signs with Chicago... good for the Bears if he does. It's still a very risky move for a rebuilding team to more or less gamble a high 2nd round pick 

Lol seafoam is in protective mold.   

• Sad 1

Pats putting Uche out there.

I’m not sure he’s that good without Judon drawing attention though

Also got a notification that Chase Young is going to the 49’ers for a 3rd.  Washington really cleaning house.

Isn’t that interesting. 

8 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Do you know that the Bears had contract with Sweat?

I have to think that if they were spending this kind of draft capital they would have (at the very least) had some contact with Sweat or his agent.  its an expensive rental if they dont expect to make the playoffs.   my best guess is they expect to sign him.  it is the only logical plan that makes any sense.   They may even have a deal (in principle) in place already.

if they have reason to want him long term I would think they wouldnt be so stupid as to not reach out to find out if the player is willing to play there long term.

That said... it is the bears.  I've seen them do things far more stupid than this.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I have to think that if they were spending this kind of draft capital they would have (at the very least) had some contact with Sweat or his agent.  its an expensive rental if they dont expect to make the playoffs.   my best guess is they expect to sign him.  it is the only logical plan that makes any sense.   They may even have a deal (in principle) in place already.

if they have reason to want him long term I would think they wouldnt be so stupid as to not reach out to find out if the player is willing to play there long term.

That said... it is the bears.  I've seen them do things far more stupid than this.

Meh. A lot of teams have been bad. You're just picking on one of many.

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

If the Bears don't sign him I get it. They suck. But if they do, it's a good play.

No #### Captain Obvious.  Glad it took a day and a half for you to get this but here you are.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:

They might have one, but I'm thinking one of two things happened if that's the case.... 1) They're going to over pay him or 2) Sweat is an idiot (like I said in earlier posts to Seafoam, I'm giving Sweat the benefit of the doubt that he's not an idiot and is willing to take market value (or less), to sign a long-term deal with a team going in the wrong direction).  Of course, if he does sign for market value (or less), I could see the potential for this being another Allen Haynesworth situation.  Dude got paid and said "thanks", and never really tried after that.

Here's what I think actually happened.  I think the Bears had no contact with Sweat or his agent.  I think they traded for him with the intent to re-sign him and/or tag him, if they can't get a deal done.  Even if they can't get a deal done, they'd at worst be able to trade him elsewhere and get their 2nd round pick back.  Why do I think that?  I can answer that with a question.  When was the last time you saw them do something really smart?  Yeah, me either.

5 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

No #### Captain Obvious.  Glad it took a day and a half for you to get this but here you are.

Angry little elf. 😆

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They might have one, but I'm thinking one of two things happened if that's the case.... 1) They're going to over pay him or 2) Sweat is an idiot (like I said in earlier posts to Seafoam, I'm giving Sweat the benefit of the doubt that he's not an idiot and is willing to take market value (or less), to sign a long-term deal with a team going in the wrong direction).  Of course, if he does sign for market value (or less), I could see the potential for this being another Allen Haynesworth situation.  Dude got paid and said "thanks", and never really tried after that.

Here's what I think actually happened.  I think the Bears had no contact with Sweat or his agent.  I think they traded for him with the intent to re-sign him and/or tag him, if they can't get a deal done.  Even if they can't get a deal done, they'd at worst be able to trade him elsewhere and get their 2nd round pick back.  Why do I think that?  I can answer that with a question.  When was the last time you saw them do something really smart?  Yeah, me either.

So now it's, if anyone signs with the Bears it's a money grab or they are an idiot. 

Why take the time to even post that? 

23 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

I wish I was retired.  :( 

Why don't you?

You should have invested wisely. 

33 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

So now it's, if anyone signs with the Bears it's a money grab or they are an idiot. 

Why take the time to even post that? 

It's not "now", I said that very early on... it was my third post.  I rather implied it in my second post.  Someone who's going to be a free agent isn't going to sign a long term deal with a team trending in the wrong direction... unless they're an idiot.  Now, at seasons end, if there's a trend of changes being made to head in the right direction, that's a different story.  The thing is, this trade happened mid-season, not during the offseason.

53 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's not "now", I said that very early on... it was my third post.  I rather implied it in my second post.  Someone who's going to be a free agent isn't going to sign a long term deal with a team trending in the wrong direction... unless they're an idiot.  Now, at seasons end, if there's a trend of changes being made to head in the right direction, that's a different story.  The thing is, this trade happened mid-season, not during the offseason.

How are the Bears "trending in the wrong direction"? What indicators are you looking at? 

They have the second best rush defense in the league. They need a pass rush to help their pass defense as no DB can defend a decent receiver for 6+ seconds. 

They have a top 5 rush offense and a much improved oline trending up. 

They were the worst team in football last year and have improved greatly yet are in line for a couple game changers in next year's coming draft. 

53 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

How are the Bears "trending in the wrong direction"? What indicators are you looking at? 

They have the second best rush defense in the league. They need a pass rush to help their pass defense as no DB can defend a decent receiver for 6+ seconds. 

They have a top 5 rush offense and a much improved oline trending up. 

They were the worst team in football last year and have improved greatly yet are in line for a couple game changers in next year's coming draft. 

W/L record.  Very telling.  Started off slow last year, then picked it up the end.  Then, regressed to last years start with NO SIGNS of improving.  This team is going to finish with a top 5 pick (not just because of Carolina - that might get them 2).  They have no solution at QB, the WR's are weak, the RB's are "meh".  Simply, they have no direction on offense.  They're a mess.  Let's give them an elite defense.  An elite defense and dumpster fire offense gives you a "meh" team.  That's a team trending in the wrong direction.

This statement makes no sense: "They were the worst team in football last year and have improved greatly".  Last year they finished 3-14... this year, they're pace to finish 4-13.  I don't consider that "greatly improved".

Interesting the Bears fire another coach, not a good sign.  

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

W/L record.  Very telling.  Started off slow last year, then picked it up the end.  Then, regressed to last years start with NO SIGNS of improving.  This team is going to finish with a top 5 pick (not just because of Carolina - that might get them 2).  They have no solution at QB, the WR's are weak, the RB's are "meh".  Simply, they have no direction on offense.  They're a mess.  Let's give them an elite defense.  An elite defense and dumpster fire offense gives you a "meh" team.  That's a team trending in the wrong direction.

This statement makes no sense: "They were the worst team in football last year and have improved greatly".  Last year they finished 3-14... this year, they're pace to finish 4-13.  I don't consider that "greatly improved".

You obviously don't follow the Bears. They flat out gutted the team last year. It will take a few years to rebuild. Players understand this. 

You just look at W/L and that's it. They are not trending in the wrong direction.

On 11/1/2023 at 4:08 AM, seafoam1 said:

Meh. A lot of teams have been bad. You're just picking on one of many.

not picking on them.   I've seen other teams do things far more stupid than this too.

but today we are talking about the bears.

personally I do think at the very least they would have reached out to the agent and the player to at least see if there is a desire to re-sign there.   it doesnt take much to do that.

This is the sort of thing that is more common in hockey where teams trade players a lot more, but its typical to make a deal subject to being allowed to speak to the player and/or his agent to see how he feels about playing there. 

if that is a question, you should not pay full value.   its that simple.

28 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

not picking on them.   I've seen other teams do things far more stupid than this too.

but today we are talking about the bears.

personally I do think at the very least they would have reached out to the agent and the player to at least see if there is a desire to re-sign there.   it doesnt take much to do that.

This is the sort of thing that is more common in hockey where teams trade players a lot more, but its typical to make a deal subject to being allowed to speak to the player and/or his agent to see how he feels about playing there. 

if that is a question, you should not pay full value.   its that simple.

If the Bears don't sign him I'll be the first to say Poles needs to go. It would be an obvious colassal fock up. 

Poles says he's confident to get a deal done and it's in the works, but time will tell. I'll give him a break on the Claypool disaster but not on this one if it doesn't happen. 

Dude is just trying to assemble good younger  players all over the field and he's done quite well in the 2 years he's been doing it. It takes time to build a full team.