Sign in to follow this  
Mungwater

Yay, another surgery

So I broke my arm and separated my shoulder about two years ago.  Have pins and a plate, now the army wants to remove all of it.  Sounds like it’s going to hurt like a .  Anyone have any experience with hardware removal?

stupid Murphy, I should have pushed you down the stairs.

37 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

So I broke my arm and separated my shoulder about two years ago.  Have pins and a plate, now the army wants to remove all of it.  Sounds like it’s going to hurt like a .  Anyone have any experience with hardware removal?

I had a plate inserted in my foot for a Jones fracture (5th metatarsal in an area that gets very little blood flow).  Maybe 9 months later they removed it -- the theory is that the bone will get fragile if they keep the plate and it does not need to support weight.  

That worked well until the next year when it broke again.  Whereas the first break was a good ballistic injury (landed hard on the outside of my foot), the second one was quite benign, just a slight rolling of weight onto the outside portion of my sole.  Luckily I heard the snap and didn't walk on it to make it worse, so I avoided another surgery/plate.

This was maybe 10 years ago.  Every once in a while my weight will shift and I feel a little twinge.  It scares the bejeesus out of me but I think (hope) it is just scar tissue in there.

Good luck!  :cheers: 

Ouch, best of luck in the surgery. I assume that there is some long term benefit for removing the hardware, infection risk, etc?

We are not going to el paso this year for Christmas. We picked up bed bugs from a cabin in a state park and my father in law was worried that we would bring them back to his house. We have gotten all of the bed bugs from our house since we caught it early, however we are still persona non grata from El Paso for a few more months.

22 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Ouch, best of luck in the surgery. I assume that there is some long term benefit for removing the hardware, infection risk, etc?

We are not going to el paso this year for Christmas. We picked up bed bugs from a cabin in a state park and my father in law was worried that we would bring them back to his house. We have gotten all of the bed bugs from our house since we caught it early, however we are still persona non grata from El Paso for a few more months.

I’ll be here, love to see you again

34 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Fcking father-in-laws.

Just now, MLCKAA said:

Fcking father-in-laws.

I get along great with my father in law, he is however paranoid about bugs in general.

1 hour ago, Mungwater said:

Story to tell ?

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

Story to tell ?

Sure, I was taking the dog out for a walk and he tripped me.  I used my arm to break my fall

I had a metal rod in my lower right leg after I shattered it in a car crash. Had it removed about a year later.  No issues. I was 20 at the time, so… YMMV. :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Sure, I was taking the dog out for a walk and he tripped me.  I used my arm to break my fall

Boring. LOL. 

23 hours ago, Mungwater said:

It could have been worse........see Wycheck.