WhiteWonder

*** 2024 Draft and Season Discussion ***

15 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I mostly waited on that pick because the angels were among the rumored teams for Snell… could have picked him sooner but with my luck as soon as I made the pick there would have been an announcement he signed in LA 😂 

🤣🤣🤣

Those rumors are a joke. Arte has no intentions of putting any more money into the team.

1 minute ago, BlackClouds said:

🤣🤣🤣

Those rumors are a joke. Arte has no intentions of putting any more money into the team.

It did seem weird but with the type of deals Boras is doing with his clients, I could have seen the Angels being good with him leaving after a season. Then again he has some draft pick compensation tied to him, unlike Montgomery 

Burt and his dog appear to be on their way

RHR, **** is still available to Guardbum for his 2nd rd pick.

<edited by cmh to remove player name>

• Like 1

I think everyone here is in cahoots to make sure I dont 3-peat! 🤣  Let me sort through the damage and I'll make my pick in a few minutes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackClouds said:

RHR, **** is still available to Guardbum for his 2nd rd pick.

@RaiderHaters Revenge i deleted your 3rd rd pick...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt said:

I think everyone here is in cahoots to make sure I dont 3-peat! 🤣  Let me sort through the damage and I'll make my pick in a few minutes.

I just don't have any players anyone really wants, including me :dunno:

Wanted to grab some high upside pitchers since I have almost no exclusives anymore.  Took a chance letting Montgomery slide so I could grab Flaherty.   When he is on he has Ace potential.   Was happy enough grabbing Hicks in the 4th round.  Again, young upside strikeout guy.  Will be interesting to see how he does as a starter.   He was a starter all the way through the Cardinals system before they moved him.  

grabbed Montgomery in the second.  Huge bust potential with him sitting out so long.  Will miss at least a couple of starts of not more.  Hope he signs soon. 

Man, what a difference from 2023's draft to this year. The first player I lost last year wasn't until Benintendi at 3.03. This year, I'm already down 4 players in the first 2 rounds, Rodriguez, Sale, Giolito (my 3 top SP targets) and Kimbrel (my 2nd closer target). I know others probably have it worse but I feel your pain at least to some extent this year.

5 minutes ago, bbascom said:

Man, what a difference from 2023's draft to this year. The first player I lost last year wasn't until Benintendi at 3.03. This year, I'm already down 4 players in the first 2 rounds, Rodriguez, Sale, Giolito (my 3 top SP targets) and Kimbrel (my 2nd closer target). I know others probably have it worse but I feel your pain at least to some extent this year.

Will be hard to top my hilariously bad luck from last year, losing 4 in front of me in round 1 on a team with 3 good options to start with. 

1 minute ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Will be hard to top my hilariously bad luck from last year, losing 4 in front of me in round 1 on a team with 3 good options to start with. 

Yeah, probably not that bad I guess. Just such a big difference from year to year. 

can't complain, the bones were kind to me this year. as soon as I saw Padres picking ahead of me and Baltimore, I figured Snell was a lock for round 2 and with the Cardinals after me I was able to get my top 2 players who are head an shoulders above... and my top 3 choices overall. 

maybe the fantasy baseball gods felt i deserved a break after Pedo Franco :dunno:

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

can't complain, the bones were kind to me this year. as soon as I saw Padres picking ahead of me and Baltimore, I figured Snell was a lock for round 2 and with the Cardinals after me I was able to get my top 2 players who are head an shoulders above... and my top 3 choices overall. 

maybe the fantasy baseball gods felt i deserved a break after Pedo Franco :dunno:

Franco is a pedro. 👆🏾

God bless (I hope!)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

my bad i was premature selection

👊🏿

1 hour ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Darn, didn't get the half-season SP I was hoping for.

I think I was reaching here. Was really hoping Eovaldi was available, and i need the pitching

I would offer you Flaherty but he is only good for 2-4 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

I think I was reaching here. Was really hoping Eovaldi was available, and i need the pitching

He was my next pick if you didn't.

47 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

when i texted Mets they were on the clock he was debating Max

If Eovaldi has made it past Boston, you probably would have had him, Mora. I needed a good 1B option so I can slide Yandy over to 3rd. I had Lowe just ahead of Paredes, mostly playing in the Texas offense as the tie breaker 

4 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Can @BlackClouds get a redo? :(

As I support the team that this affects in the real life side of baseball, I vote yes, he should get another pick.🙁

They aren't even sure if he'll miss more than part of the season yet. 

definitely botched round 3 in the little chess game that this draft usually produces. even though Nate Lowe was my #3 target, I probably should have waited to submit the pick. had I seen Mora take Max Scherzer, i could have picked Old Man Charlie in round 3 and whoever Mora passed on in round 4 between Fairbanks and Lowe would have been there for me in round 5. Even though a corner infielder was a bigger need for me, I think the combo of Morton/Fairbanks would have been preferable to Lowe/Stephenson...   or maybe I would have had Morton/Lowe 🤔

thats what makes this draft so much fun 

I didn't want to bring this to anyone's attention in the first few rounds because I didn't want anyone noticing I was running low on front end players.  But now that I'm mostly sorting through trash now, I feel safe to say something.  8 of the first 17 players chosen were "my" guys.  I feel very fortunate that Charlie Morton and Chris Martin were still floating out there for me at the 3rd/4th round turn.  Not that they'll be game changers for me, but if they'd been gone, I would have been forced to take Grissom and Heyward at 3 and 4 and that would have REALLY sucked!

all done for now for me

C- Campusano, Sanchez

1B- Rizzo, Naylor

2B- Kim

SS- Abrams

3B- Machado, France

OF- Tatis, Soto, Oliveras, Rooker, Ruiz, Pham

Util- J. Bell

SP- Darvish, Musgrove, King, Wacha

RP- Hader, Bednar, Munoz, Suarez, Go, Matsui, Maton

Exclusives

Cronenworth, Cooper, Merrill, Grisham, Grandal

Gore, Brito, Vasquez, De Los Santos, W. Peralta, Waldron, S.Wilson, Paddack

Guys I lost out on, Drury which I forgot played for Toronto (although looking at my team, I think I really need Wacha more than Drury), Nick Martinez and Miles Mikolas forgot to have them on my lists, Renfroe but got the same guy in Rooker later that round

Wrapped up myself this morning,

C – Gabriel Moreno, Danny Jansen, Alejandro Kirk (still exclusive – Yan Gomes)

1B – Vladimir Guerrero Jr [still exclusive – Rowdy Tellez]

2B – Brandon Drury (1B) [still exclusive – Davis Schneider, Santiago Espinal (2B, SS, 3B)]

3B – Matt Chapman, Isiah Kiner-Falefa (3B, OF), [still exclusive - Cavan Biggio (1B, 2B, 3B, OF)

SS -  Bo Bichette [still exclusive – Jon Berti (SS, 3B, OF, 2B)

OF – George Springer, Teoscar Hernandez, Lourdes Gurriel Jr, Daulton Varsho, Kevin Kiermaier

SP – Kevin Gausman, Marcus Stroman, Taijuan Walker, Ross Stripling, Jose Berrios, Yusei Kikuchi

RP – Jordan Romano, Jason Adam, Julian Merryweather, Joel Payamps, Eric Swanson, Tim Mayza, Miguel Castro

I’ve got holes and weaknesses in a fantasy team but looks pretty solid if it were a real world one. Good defense and a stacked bullpen (could use another lefty…lol) but that doesn’t play out in Yahoo. And if anyone is targeting the listed exclusives in the sup, good luck to you.

Lots of flexibility and backups but they don’t exactly offer much punch in a scoring world. Predicting middle of the pack depending on trades and supplemental I can hope for.
Again, Catcher is available. Probably looking at OF and pitching.

Missed on without surprise Pitchers. Between DCB and Lambert I could have Bassitt, Matz, Hicks. Certainly changes that landscape.  Obviously not top tier guys but when you can throw shear numbers at it, that could be a solid add if available.
Semien was a calculated loss when I choose pitcher. Just knew I needed one of Drury, Turner, Merrifield and if he stays healthy I though Drury would have the most upside.
Did think Robbie Ray would go a little later but seeing Zero's limited options was also not surprised. That's good stash pick for mid season for a possible #2 starter.

@cmh6476  sorry bud. big di*k nick was going to be my pick regardless. 

Doneski!

C – Connor Wong

1B – Tristan Casas

2B – Mookie Betts

3B – Rafeal Devers and Yoan Moncada

SS – Trevor Story and Xander Bogaerts

OF – Tyler O'Neill, Kyle Schwarber, Jarren Duran, Masataka Yoshida, Wilyer Abreu, Alex Verdugo, Andrew Benintendi and Adam Duvall

DH – Rotation of the best available from 2B/3B/SS/OF group.

SP – Nathan Eovaldi, James Paxton, Nick Pivetta, Bryan Bello, Kutter Crawford, Martin Perez and Tanner Houck

RP – Kenley Jansen, Matt Strahm, John Schreiber and Garrett Whitlock

Between, Betts/Bogaerts/Story I have a pretty  good rotation for 2B/SS once Bogaerts becomes 2B eligible.

Boston's 5th starter is still up in the air with Giolito going down. Two out of the Houck/Whitlock/Winckowski group will be there to start the season.

I'm a little light on RP right now but I have several exclusives available (Bernadino, Campbell, Jaques, Murphy, Weissert and Winckowski to name a few).

I've got a lot of OF depth, definitely open to trading for a starting C, 1B depth or RP.

I was hoping to grab Hendricks or Springs in the later rounds to stash away for the second half but I was off by 1 round on both of them, good picks by cmh and WhiteWonder. 

@cmh6476 going back through the round 15 / 16 thread you actually had two 16.03 picks.  So the first one got lost or overwritten.  Not sure if you want McArthur somewhere else or if I'm missing something somewhere?

16.03 James McArthur, RP, KC

16.3 Jakob Junis, RP, Mil

15.10 Carlos Santana, 1B, Min

I am also done. It was a pretty straight forward draft for me with the injuries to Max Scherzer and Jacob deGrom. I more or less crossed them off my list from the start, although I did give a little thought to Scherzer in round 3. My biggest loss was Marcus Stroman, who I always like, but that was a decision I knew I was making in round 2 with Toronto picking after me. 

Other players I wanted and missed:

Gary Sanchez - I took Sean Manaea hoping Sanchez would make it back but also knowing dArnaud was still an option so it wasn't a big loss.
David Robertson - I was still taking starting pitchers though and there was no way I would get him.
Tijuan Walker - I never thought about drafting him until after he was selected. I don't think his W/L from last season is repeatable but I did start to think that he may have been a better selection than Manaea or Quintana just to diversify.
Michael Wacha and Seth Lugo - Basically the same guy. Either would have been nice depth but I knew they would go early to the Padres or Royals and I don't see a repeat of 2023 for either.

C -- Francisco Alvarez, Travis dArnaud

1B -- Pete Alonso

2B -- Andres Gimenez, Jeff McNeil

3B -- Justin Turner, JD Davis

SS -- Francisco Lindor

OF -- Brandon Nimmo, Starling Marte, Michael Conforto, Harrison Bader, Travis Jankowski

SP -- Zack Wheeler, Justin Verlander, Kodai Senga, Chris Bassitt, Luis Severino, Sean Manaea, Jose Quintana

RP - Edwin Diaz, Paul Sewald, Colin Holderman, Adam Ottovino, Brooks Raley, Rafael Montero

Also have 8 or 9 other exclusives who will likely be helpful throughout the year

17 minutes ago, GuardBum said:

@cmh6476 going back through the round 15 / 16 thread you actually had two 16.03 picks.  So the first one got lost or overwritten.  Not sure if you want McArthur somewhere else or if I'm missing something somewhere?

16.03 James McArthur, RP, KC

16.3 Jakob Junis, RP, Mil

15.10 Carlos Santana, 1B, Min

Thanks, I moved McArthur to round 17.  I had Aroldis Chapman in the 17th, but it was an oversight as he had been traded to the Rangers mid-season last year and I had to remove him as an exclusive.

• Like 1

Detroit complete

C - Jake Rogers, Carson Kelly
1B - Spencer Torkelson
2B - Isaac Paredes
SS - Javier Baez
3B - Eugenio Suarez, Jeimer Candelario, Andy Ibanez
OF - Nick Castellanos, Riley Greene, Kerry Carpenter, Mark Canha, Avisail Garcia

SP - Tarik Skubal, Kenta Maeda, Eduardo Rodriguez, Michael Lorenzen, Reese Olson, Robbie Ray, Drew Smyly

RP - Alex Lange, Joe Jimenez, Gregory Soto, Jason Foley, Miguel Diaz

Most of my top options from years past have degraded to the point that they aren't worth sniping for other teams, so this was a fairly simple draft. Biggest misses are Verlander and Scherzer (barring Flaherty remembering how to pitch the moment he gets out of StL). Also have access to backup catchers in Arizona and Milwaukee, plus another three starting pitchers in Detroit and a few second basemen.

C - Christian Bethancourt
1B - Nathaniel Lowe
2B - Brandon Lowe, Amed Rosario
SS - Willy Adames
3B - Yandy Diaz, Junior Caminero
OF - Randy Arozarena, Josh Lowe, Jose Siri, Manuel Margot
Util:dunno:  (I have some non rostered exclusives, it will be a rotation)
SP - Blake Snell, Tyler Glasnow, Zach Eflin, Aaron Civale, Taj Bradley, Ryan Pepiot, Zack Littell, **Jeffrey Springs**
RP - Jose Alvarado, David Robertson, Robert Stephenson, Colin Poche, Matt Moore, Nick Anderson, Emilio Pagan

Hope i'm wrong but I think this is going to be a tough season... the losses of Franco and McClanahan really hurt. to have the bones go my way and get my top 2 available players in Arozarena and Snell helped but the fact is my top 3 players (Arozarena, Snell, Glasnow) probably don't even crack most teams top 5. as always.... we will endure! #RaysUp 💥 :lol:. all i know is i have an ass load of relief pitchers and still managed to whiff on 3 of the top 5 RP's available to me and even sort of forgot about Kittredge. that's all the Rays are these days... a RP factory

Missed on: Charlie Morton... that was my huge mistake in the draft. I am 100% certain I could have picked him in round 3 and still got Nate Lowe in round 5, or Pete Fairbanks at worst... would have been much happier with that than Robert Stephenson, unless he gets back in action and becomes the closer in LA. Speaking of Fairbanks... missed on him and knew I wasn't getting Phillips anyway. Toronto prioritized Jason Adam this year so that stung a bit. Guys like Eovaldi and Paredes would have been nice but had to pass on them and knew they would not be making it back to me. Semi miss on Travis dArnaud.... also had my eye on Kirby Yates... and Alex Cobb just went too high for me to get.... and my boy, Kiermaier 😥. I had plenty of chances to take him but possible late season Jeffrey Springs, for example, seemed like it would be more fantasy useful.

Pretty much done at this point - while my depth is lacking, this is one of the teams I've been most excited about in a long time.

C - Jonah Heim, Mitch Garver

1B - Joey Gallo 

2B - Marcus Semien

SS - Corey Seager

3B - Josh Jung

OF - Adolis Garcia, Evan Carter, Wyatt Langford, Leody Tavares

UT - Ezequiel Duran, Patrick Wisdom

SP - Jon Gray, Dane Dunning, Cody Bradford, Max Scherzer (IL), Jacob DeGrom (IL), Tyler Mahle (IL)

RP - Emmanuel Clase, Jose LeClerc, Pete Fairbanks, Aroldis Chapman, Nick Martinez, Luke Jackson, Ian Gibaut, John King, Jimmy Herget

I love my lineup, even with the weakness at 1B, which I knew was going to be a supplemental draft pick after losing Lowe.  It was luck of the draw pulling both Semien and Garcia this year, that's a first.  I've got 3-4 solid relievers, and 4-5 mid-level arms who hopefully will start to shine before I waive them.  I need them all to pitch though, because it might be tough to get my minimum innings prior to the All-Star Break 😂

I would have loved to take Ragans, Montgomery, or Darvish, but knew I couldn't manage that with Semien/Garcia.  Was really hoping for Eovaldi to make it back in 3, that stung a bit, so hopefully I'll get a good second half out of my IL spots.  I wanted Springs but couldn't fit another injured started onto this squad, I'm surprised he lasted until the 8th.  It seems like every single starter I was targeting in Rounds 5-9 went right before I could make the pick, which somehow resulted in a menagerie of middle inning arms that leaves me both excited and a little queasy.  Like WW I think I'm going to regret passing on Kirby Yates.

Shout out to everyone! That was some really good drafting, we made great time, no delays really ever.  And only a couple of mis-picks on eligibility timing.  Might be our best season yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C - Logan O'Hoppe, Matt Thaiss
1B - Nolan Schanuel, C.J. Cron (minors)
2B - Luis Rengifo
SS - Zach Neto
3B - Gio Urshela, Anthony Rendon
OF - Mike Trout, Taylor Ward, Hunter Renfroe, Brandon Marsh, Randal Grichuk

UTL - Shohei Ohtani

SP - Tyler Anderson, Reid Detmers, Patrick Sandoval, Andrew Heaney, Griffin Canning, Chase Silseth

RP - Raisel Iglesias, Carlos Estevez, Reynaldo Lopez(Possible starter), Kenyan Middleton, Chris Devenski, Luis Garcia

Well, this squad won't have any of you shaking in your boots. The combination of having the worst farm system and Arte's reluctance to sign any top tier free agents, have decimated my once competitive lineup. Giolito's injury is a kick in the nuts to a team that is already without Shohei on the hill. Not getting Drury hurt me the most, as I'm thin at 2B. The only other one that hurt was Lorenzen. Had him slotted for my 5th round pick, but ZT beat me to the punch 2 picks ahead of me. All and all, you guys will be glad when you see the Black Trouser Trouts as your opponent for any given week. Oh yeah, I also totally forgot about Kirby Yates as I do every year. Except the year I remembered to draft him in 2021. 🤣 On January 20, 2021, Yates signed a one-year, $5.5 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays. On March 22, 2021, Yates was diagnosed with a flexor strain and it was later announced that he would likely undergo Tommy John surgery, ending his 2021 season. On March 24, 2021, Yates underwent the procedure.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, BlackClouds said:

On January 20, 2021, Yates signed a one-year, $5.5 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays. On March 22, 2021, Yates was diagnosed with a flexor strain and it was later announced that he would likely undergo Tommy John surgery, ending his 2021 season. On March 24, 2021, Yates underwent the procedure.

That was the 1 year I had him on my list.  Then I had to take him off the list as he never actually pitched with the Jays.

I think I always spaced out on Kirby Yates as well... even in his big save season with the Padres, I feel like BC added him off free agency. I most likely had him on my draft list the following season when he got injured again