WhiteWonder

*** 2024 Draft and Season Discussion ***

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I think I always spaced out on Kirby Yates as well... even in his big save season with the Padres, I feel like BC added him off free agency. I most likely had him on my draft list the following season when he got injured again 

That is correct. I did indeed add him as a FA after once again forgetting about him during the draft.

C – Adley Rutschman, James McCann

1B – Christian Walker, Ryan Mountcastle

2B – Jordan Westburg, Jace Peterson, Jackson Holliday?

3B – Ramon Urias, Joey Ortiz?

SS -  Gunnar Henderson, Jorge Mateo

OF – Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander, Austin Hays, Ryan O'Hearn, Aaron Hicks, DJ Stewart

SP – Corbin Burnes, Grayson Rodriguez, Kyle Bradish?, John Means, Nestor Cortes, Alex Cobb, Kyle Gibson, Wade Miley

RP – Evan Phillips, Craig Kimbrel, Yennier Cano, Tanner Scott, Cionel Perez, Hunter Harvey, DL Hall, Shawn Armstrong

Very uneventful draft due to unkind bones.  Absolutely LOADED UP on mediocre pitching.  Would have liked to have taken Justin Turner second but felt compelled to grab Kimbrel.  That pick was really just securing the "Orioles closer", because I don't have much faith in Kimbrel, but should have rights to anyone who might replace him.  Burnes is like an extra supplemental pick, but losing Bradish almost completely offsets that.  Hoping he can fully recover.  No Manny means my young Os are going to have to take another step forward if I am to make the playoffs again.  Still a lot to be decided in Spring Training. 

C. Willson Contreras, Knizner

1B, Goldschmidt

2B. Gorman, Donavon, Palacios

SS. Winn, DeJong

3B. Arenado

OF, Walker, Edman, Nootbar, Thomas

SP. Gray, Flaherty, Montgomery, Hicks, Matz, Lynn, Mikolas, 

RP. Helsley, Cabrera, Romero, Kelly,  Kittridge, Gallegos, 

Totally different draft experience for me this year.  In years past I have had an insane amount of exclusives starting pitchers.  I had 9 last year alone.  Due to Alcantara and Johan Oviedo missing all of 2024 and the trades last year of a lot of pitchers off the Cardinals roster, I had 1 quality starter (Sonny Gray) going into the season.  Fortunately I was able to field a team of non pitchers out of exclusives that included Goldschmidt, Arenado, Contreres, and several players with a lot of positional eligibility.   This allowed me to focus on Pitching.  Out of my 12 picks, 9 were pitchers.  

after I saw the draft order, I knew I didn’t have a shot at Arozarena or Adolis Garcia so I turned to young pitchers with the most upside.  I took Flaherty number 1 knowing that he would have to get through 4 picks before I had another shot at him in round 2.  I gambled that Montgomery wouldn’t sign before I could make my 2nd round pick and that paid off. Jordan Hicks and Steven Matz gives me some upside and the remaining pitchers gives me depth. (Lynn and Mikolas). 

the 3 position players (DeJong, Knizner, Palacios) add some depth but not much upside. 

players I missed out on:  I forgot about Quintana.  I didn’t have him in my list.  I would have liked to snag Wacha as well.  Garcia and Arozarena I knew would be gone.  I lost Kyle Gibson but I am ok with that.  I put him in the Lynn, Mikolas category.  

I feel good about my lineup.  I have a few places where I can upgrade but I feel I can hang middle of the pack of things go well. 

1B Freeman, Olson

2B Albies, Grissom

3B Riley

SS Swanson, Arcia, Fletcher

OF Acuna, Harris, Ozuna, Kelenic, Heyward

C Contreras, Murphy

SP Strider, Fried, Sale, Morton

RP Martin, Minter, Yates, S Miller, P Johnson, Webb, Chavez

😐

4 minutes ago, Burt said:

1B Freeman, Olson

2B Albies, Grissom

3B Riley

C Contreras, Murphy

😐

list your own team not the NL All stars...   oh wait

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Burt said:

1B Freeman, Olson

2B Albies, Grissom

3B Riley

C Contreras, Murphy

😐

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

list your own team not the NL All stars...   oh wait

Absolutely filthy. <_<

Thought about JRod or Tucker with S1.03, but they'd be "replacing" Ozuna.  Figured I'd gain more going from Swanson to Turner than from Ozuna to JRod/Tucker.

7 minutes ago, Burt said:

Thought about JRod or Tucker with S1.03, but they'd be "replacing" Ozuna.  Figured I'd gain more going from Swanson to Turner than from Ozuna to JRod/Tucker.

Was hoping you would go best player available since Turner is a better replacement on my roster, but I'll settle for a projected top 3 player in fantasy.

2 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Was hoping you would go best player available since Turner is a better replacement on my roster, but I'll settle for a projected top 3 player in fantasy.

That was my dilemma...passing on a top 3.

I was only hoping one the top 3 OF would fall to me at 4.  Was not banking on having to decide which one.  Went with proven consistency as opposed to ceiling.

dcb should be available within the hour. 

Yankees ace and reigning American League Cy Young winner Gerrit Cole is headed for an MRI on his right elbow, manager Aaron Boone told reporters Monday morning (X link via Newsday’s David Lennon). Cole hasn’t been recovering as well between throwing sessions and will get his elbow checked out to determine if there’s an injury at play. The imaging will take place today.

• Sad 1

I'm out and about right now. I'll be heading home in a few to make my pick. 

My team sucks. I need 3 more supplementals to be competitive. 

2 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

My team sucks. I need 3 more supplementals to be competitive. 

I was pretty sure you would pick Robert. I considered him but I think my team needs more raw power... not that Robert doesnt have plenty of power. maybe i'll regret not going with the guy who also gets steals. guess i went with the extra rbi and walks. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I was pretty sure you would pick Robert. I considered him but I think my team needs more raw power... not that Robert doesnt have plenty of power. maybe i'll regret not going with the guy who also gets steals. guess i went with the extra rbi and walks. 

I “should” have power with Goldy, Arenado, Gorman, and Walker.    Some more all around stats are much needed on my team. 

I thought about waiting on him but didn’t think he would make it back. 

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I am surprised to get both Judge and Castillo at the turn

Yeah, can't complain about that. 

19 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I am surprised to get both Judge and Castillo at the turn

i'm not

with the league being only 12 teams and the depth of talented, unowned players available I have felt for the past 2-3 seasons that it might actually be a detriment to have the most ping pong balls in the supplemental lottery.  You can just as easily get a stud at the end of round 27 and have several still to choose from at the top of round 28.

that said, Judge is already dinged up, plus I can't bring myself to pick a Yankee unless there is no other choice :lol:

Be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to take him at 6, but last year left a really bad taste in my mouth. <_<

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

i'm not

with the league being only 12 teams and the depth of talented, unowned players available I have felt for the past 2-3 seasons that it might actually be a detriment to have the most ping pong balls in the supplemental lottery.  You can just as easily get a stud at the end of round 27 and have several still to choose from at the top of round 28.

that said, Judge is already dinged up, plus I can't bring myself to pick a Yankee unless there is no other choice :lol:

oh totally I liked 12, as far as yankee, I already have 3 so...

Apologies for the delay, had soccer practice for my boy.

I second WhiteWonder on the not picking any Yankees, unless they are exclusive I guess (Verdugo) or if there were no other options. 

Cruz fills a weakness. Ss had me worried with  the Cards starting a rookie, Edman starting the season in IL and Crawford on the bench.  Love my infield.  

1 minute ago, lambert58 said:

Cruz fills a weakness. Ss had me worried with  the Cards starting a rookie, Edman starting the season in IL and Crawford on the bench.  Love my infield.  

Great pick. I was considering him too because of his potential, even though I have 3 others that qualify at SS. I hope he can stay healthy for you this year, the guy is a beast. 

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

That, and his swing coach is a snake oil salesman. 

Can I redo my pick after everyone else is done? My team is going to blow regardless 😀

Wouldnt bother me.  But I'd wait and see what his results are first.

Mookz sniped my pick for sure. Really wanted to go SS also but I have too many question marks at pitcher. 

Damn, what a run on starting pitching!  In middle of a short meeting.  Will pick as soon as I get out of here.

super smooth draft and supp, as always. Even faster than I remember.

8 days before opening games.

great job

@cmh6476 to finish us off. 

and possibly replace Cole depending on news before 3/20

17 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

@cmh6476 to finish us off. 

and possibly replace Cole depending on news before 3/20

Maybe Giolito too for BC. Confirmed he is having elbow surgery, probably will end his season before it began. 

7 minutes ago, bbascom said:

Maybe Giolito too for BC. Confirmed he is having elbow surgery, probably will end his season before it began. 

That's a little different for me.  I mean at the end of the day, I would be fine leaning toward no replacements since I don't think this is anything we've done in the past.

But to me, Cole = extremely high value supplemental pick who would be replaced with a clearly lesser value supplemental pick

Giolito is an average regular draft pick who would be replaced with a far superior supplemental pick?  I dont see how that works

not trying to be a hard ass but

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

That's a little different for me.  I mean at the end of the day, I would be fine leaning toward no replacements since I don't think this is anything we've done in the past.

But to me, Cole = extremely high value supplemental pick who would be replaced with a clearly lesser value supplemental pick

Giolito is an average regular draft pick who would be replaced with a far superior supplemental pick?  I dont see how that works

you have a good point the no 25 player is far better than Giolito, who would he have been able to draft instead

I agree with the Cole thing, but only if hes out for the year honestly

as far as Giolito, if hes replaced it can only be by Rockies pitcher

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yeah, I agree with you, it just sucks for BC to lose such a high pick in the draft before the season even starts. I agree that there really isn't a good way of allowing for a replacement.

24 minutes ago, bbascom said:

Yeah, I agree with you, it just sucks for BC to lose such a high pick in the draft before the season even starts. I agree that there really isn't a good way of allowing for a replacement.

it definitely sucks. I think the only thing to do was what had been suggested at the time. By sort of pausing the draft and giving him a makeup pick.... but he seemed to not want that and also Im not sure we knew the full severity yet

i mean, if everyone wants to give him an extra supplemental pick, I wouldn't vote against it....  just seems rough that cmh loses Col and gets supplemental player #25 and BC loses Giolito and gets supplemental player #26 :lol:

• Like 1

Cole to miss 1-2 months

Idea, allow him to replace Cole and make him exclusive for the 2nd half (he can't use him if he returns 1st half but he loses a supplemental pick in the 2nd half)

Not sure how I feel about that.  I drafted Chisholm at the AS break (2022 I believe).  He went on the IL the day games resumed after the break never to return. I didn't get to pick up another player.  I say he either keeps Cole, or we allow him to grab another player....but not both.

Actually, I guess I am sure how I feel about that. lol

it's fine, I might have went from 11th place to 10th :bench: