Sign in to follow this  
Raven Fan

Any Boyos Ever Visit Or Spend Time In Flagstaff?

Will be going in April or May for two weeks.  Picked Flagstaff because of it's proximity to the grand canyon, Sedona, Vegas, and a bunch of other parks.

Any must do's from geeks who've been there?

• Haha 1

I don't know very much about Flagstaff specifically, but I'll add a few things.

- I heard recently that the drive from Flagstaff to Sedona on 89A is spectacular.

- Sedona is beautiful -- lots of hiking, red rocks, shopping, tours if you don't want to hike.  It's also pretty busy though; I'd schedule that during the week if possible.

- I was just in the Cottonwood/Jerome area, about 30 minutes SW of Sedona.  Lots of wineries there with very good wine; you can schedule tours from Sedona.  Also a cool train ride through the Verde Canyon; each car has plush seats and its own bar.

https://verdecanyonrr.com/

- If time allows you might consider a jaunt east on I40 to the NE part of the state.  Painted desert, Winslow.

- Some day soon I'll check out Williams which is west on I40.  My son's GF's family owns some property there, so we want to scope it out.  There is a wildlife park there called Bearizona (heh heh) which is supposedly cool -- bears walk right up to your car, allegedly.

https://bearizona.com/

Just make sure you don't fall in love with our state and stay; we get enough whackadoodle Blue voters from Cali.  :cheers: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

- I heard recently that the drive from Flagstaff to Sedona on 89A is spectacular.

- Sedona is beautiful -- lots of hiking, red rocks, shopping, tours if you don't want to hike.  It's also pretty busy though; I'd schedule that during the week if possible.

- I was just in the Cottonwood/Jerome area, about 30 minutes SW of Sedona.  Lots of wineries there with very good wine; you can schedule tours from Sedona.  Also a cool train ride through the Verde Canyon; each car has plush seats and its own bar.

- If time allows you might consider a jaunt east on I40 to the NE part of the state.  Painted desert, Winslow.

- Some day soon I'll check out Williams which is west on I40.  My son's GF's family owns some property there, so we want to scope it out.  There is a wildlife park there called Bearizona (heh heh) which is supposedly cool -- bears walk right up to your car, allegedly.

Just make sure you don't fall in love with our state and stay; we get enough whackadoodle Blue voters from Cali.  :cheers: 

This is the kind of info that makes places like this seriously useful.

Thanks Jerry.  And AZ is blue now so no need to bring my liberal as* there permanently.  

Seriously though, love the recommendations, thanks a lot boyo!

I lived there for a bit 15 years ago. Jerry mentioned the painted desert, I'll agree. Do some research and find a couple of slot canyons to explore. Sedona is spectacular, as is the drive there from Flagstaff. Plan on doing some hiking or rock climbing. Depending on the weather, a soak in Oak Creek can be very pleasant.

If you have access to ATVs or 4x4, there's a million opportunities to enjoy yourself in the desert. Monument Valley isn't super close, but worth a drive to see, especially if you drive all the way to Moab (about 6 hrs from Flag). Again, off road capabilities make this much more fun, since Moab is basically on off road amusement park. Lake Powell is fairly close as well. If you're into natural hot springs, pm me. 

Flagstaff is a great place, I would have liked to live there longer, but job issues got in the way. We moved there right as the real estate bubble popped and the recession started. Bad timing.

Are you flying or driving? 

5 minutes ago, Fnord said:

I lived there for a bit 15 years ago. Jerry mentioned the painted desert, I'll agree. Do some research and find a couple of slot canyons to explore. Sedona is spectacular, as is the drive there from Flagstaff. Plan on doing some hiking or rock climbing. Depending on the weather, a soak in Oak Creek can be very pleasant.

If you have access to ATVs or 4x4, there's a million opportunities to enjoy yourself in the desert. Monument Valley isn't super close, but worth a drive to see, especially if you drive all the way to Moab (about 6 hrs from Flag). Again, off road capabilities make this much more fun, since Moab is basically on off road amusement park. Lake Powell is fairly close as well. If you're into natural hot springs, pm me. 

Flagstaff is a great place, I would have liked to live there longer, but job issues got in the way. We moved there right as the real estate bubble popped and the recession started. Bad timing.

I thought about suggesting Moab, or Zion.  Wife and I hiked Angel's Landing in Zion in the morning, grabbed lunch in the town, then drove all the way back to Phoenix in the afternoon.  Which is to say it is certainly doable in a round trip day from Flag, but I'd probably plan to spend the night.  I haven't been to Moab, that's on my list.  I have in mind a loop that goes from Winslow to Santa Fe/Los Alamos, then up through Durango (we've got neighbors/friends with a place there) to Moab, then back through Monument Valley.  Or maybe a smaller loop that skips NM and goes up through Chinlee.  Anyway, I haven't mapped it out obviously.

A lot of this depends on how active/into hiking and outdoor exploring he is.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I don't get to AZ anymore, since the family I had there all either moved away or died. But if I ever get down that way again, I'll make a point to reach out to you Jerry. I miss the hell out of the southwest.

Just now, Fnord said:

I don't get to AZ anymore, since the family I had there all either moved away or died. But if I ever get down that way again, I'll make a point to reach out to you Jerry. I miss the hell out of the southwest.

:thumbsup: 

It's a great place.  The sheer diversity of climate and geology between the places we are discussing (eg., Flag vs. Sedona vs. Painted Desert and Moab, not to mention the Canyon) is amazing, all a few hours away.

I try to explain to people from the east.  "But I love the trees!"  Yeah, trees are nice, and there are lots in Flag and thereabouts.  But they have a way of blocking your view.  Here the view is usually as far as the eye can see, often with spectacular scenery.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I thought about suggesting Moab, or Zion.  Wife and I hiked Angel's Landing in Zion in the morning, grabbed lunch in the town, then drove all the way back to Phoenix in the afternoon.  Which is to say it is certainly doable in a round trip day from Flag, but I'd probably plan to spend the night.  I haven't been to Moab, that's on my list.  I have in mind a loop that goes from Winslow to Santa Fe/Los Alamos, then up through Durango (we've got neighbors/friends with a place there) to Moab, then back through Monument Valley.  Or maybe a smaller loop that skips NM and goes up through Chinlee.  Anyway, I haven't mapped it out obviously.

A lot of this depends on how active/into hiking and outdoor exploring he is.  :thumbsup: 

You live in the valley, right? So from there you'd head up Beeline hwy (hwy 87? can't remember for sure) going through Payson to get to Winslow?

There were some wildfires up that way a few years back, but west of the little town of Strawberry is my favorite place in the world, a little hot spring right on the banks of the Verde River. Would you have any idea if that area has been reopened?

17 minutes ago, Fnord said:

You live in the valley, right? So from there you'd head up Beeline hwy (hwy 87? can't remember for sure) going through Payson to get to Winslow?

There were some wildfires up that way a few years back, but west of the little town of Strawberry is my favorite place in the world, a little hot spring right on the banks of the Verde River. Would you have any idea if that area has been reopened?

Yep on the first part.  We actually did a summer getaway in Strawberry about 20 years ago, when our kids were younger.  IIRC it was somewhat of a climb up the Rim so a noticeable elevation increase from Payson.  Otherwise I don't really remember much about it, including a spring, which sounds nice.  I'm not aware of it's status tho.

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I've driven that road from Flagstaff to Sedona, and it's pretty great. I don't recall there being much to do in Flagstaff, although the highest point in Arizona, Humphreys Peak, which I imagine would be cool to hike. It's a 10-mile round-trip hike with a 3,000-foot elevation gain, which likely means it's an ass kicker.

I  flew to Vegas and rented a van and drove the family to the Grand Canyon for July 4.  My cool Pops wanted Route 66 as part of the route so we drove thru  Flagstaff. Great drive.

20 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I've driven that road from Flagstaff to Sedona, and it's pretty great. I don't recall there being much to do in Flagstaff, although the highest point in Arizona, Humphreys Peak, which I imagine would be cool to hike. It's a 10-mile round-trip hike with a 3,000-foot elevation gain, which likely means it's an ass kicker.

Yeah, Humphreys is on my list as well.  Just looked it up on AllTrails, it's a 3382 ft elevation gain with final elevation of 12,633 feet (which most people outside of the SW wouldn't expect).  Every year many hikers need rescue though, because they don't anticipate the snow and general weather challenges near the top.

Hey @Raven Fan, you should definitely do this hike!  You should be fine in casual shoes and shorts.  :D 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yeah, Humphreys is on my list as well.  Just looked it up on AllTrails, it's a 3382 ft elevation gain with final elevation of 12,633 feet (which most people outside of the SW wouldn't expect).  Every year many hikers need rescue though, because they don't anticipate the snow and general weather challenges near the top.

Hey @Raven Fan, you should definitely do this hike!  You should be fine in casual shoes and shorts.  :D 

You trying to see ol' RF on the news boyo?

"Maryland man missing after undertaking hike completely unprepared.  The last conversion with the Maryland man was very odd as well "don't worry about me boyos, I've bigly got this""

Meteor Crater is a heckuva thing to see and not an awful drive from Flagstaff.

• Like 1

Hello Boyos, trip booked to Sedona for two weeks in late April.  Family wanted more of a desert experience.

I appreciate the recommendations already posted, looks like Sedona also has great star gazing, wineries, as well as awesome hiking.

And bonus for my cultist friends here, there's a chance I could get bitten by a rattler or scorpion or fall off some trail and come back in a box.

I know the comments remembering me here would be super touching...

Oh, and I'd still be voting for Biden...

LMFAO

4 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

Hello Boyos, trip booked to Sedona for two weeks in late April.  Family wanted more of a desert experience.

I appreciate the recommendations already posted, looks like Sedona also has great star gazing, wineries, as well as awesome hiking.

And bonus for my cultist friends here, there's a chance I could get bitten by a rattler or scorpion or fall off some trail and come back in a box.

I know the comments remembering me here would be super touching...

Oh, and I'd still be voting for Biden...

LMFAO

Of course, Biden gets all the dead people's votes. They would even make you a citizen of the state of AZ so your vote would count in that swing state.

Have fun on your trip boyo.

• Like 1

Coincidently enough, I have a trip to AZ coming up.  Not Flagstaff though, Sedona.

We're going to drive the Grand Canyon, do Bearizona, have a wine tour booked, and a dark sky viewing booked.

We'll also do lots of hiking and outdoor stuff and I'd like to visit some old west town.

Are there any other must-dos?  Was thinking about a natural hot spring but can't get a good read on them.

I've reached out to Raven Fan for his trip info but he won't get back to me for some reason...-_-

On 4/6/2024 at 5:40 AM, BeachGuy23 said:

Coincidently enough, I have a trip to AZ coming up.  Not Flagstaff though, Sedona.

We're going to drive the Grand Canyon, do Bearizona, have a wine tour booked, and a dark sky viewing booked.

We'll also do lots of hiking and outdoor stuff and I'd like to visit some old west town.

Are there any other must-dos?  Was thinking about a natural hot spring but can't get a good read on them.

I've reached out to Raven Fan for his trip info but he won't get back to me for some reason...-_-

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Bearizona, since I've never been there.  Then again, you might get eaten by a bear and we'd never hear from you again.  Enjoy!

Other things have already been proposed earlier in the thread, I can't think of anything else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, double tour said:

Another 'boyo' guy? 🤣

Raven Fan and BeachGuy23 are the same person.

7 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Raven Fan and BeachGuy23 are the same person.

The same person that cruises for twinks on a ghey bodybuilding forums to be exact.

Morning boyos.

Waking up in beautiful Sedona still on GOAT time (EST) so it's super early here.  

Got in kind of late in the twilight but holy moly it's crazy beautiful here.  Nothing like it on the GOAT East Coast.

Me and my honey for the next few days until the spoiled kids arrive later in the week.

Working from home this week and off next.  WFH is the best invention ever.

Have a great upcoming week boyos.

“Super”. You sound ghey. Oh that’s right, you like men. Especially the bodybuilders. Safe trip! 

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

“Super”. You sound ghey. Oh that’s right, you like men. Especially the bodybuilders. Safe trip! 

Can you be cool and act like a normal dude for just a moment?

Or nah?

Ended up in Sedona, not Flagstaff.  Was nice.  Both kids and their SOs came.  Kind of funny, every house we rent when we go on trips is much nicer than my own actual house.  Yes yes I know, some of you cultist think a big house is necessary to pull your pudge.

Overall it was nice, won't go back.  Missed the green and variety and hiking is fine but I prefer to be around water.

Just now, BeachGuy23 said:

Ended up in Sedona, not Flagstaff.  Was nice.  Both kids and their SOs came.  Kind of funny, every house we rent when we go on trips is much nicer than my own actual house.  Yes yes I know, some of you cultist think a big house is necessary to pull your pudge.

Overall it was nice, won't go back.  Missed the green and variety and hiking is fine but I prefer to be around water.

We missed you while you were gone! Welcome back! Lol 🤡🤡🤣💯🤡💯

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

We missed you while you were gone! Welcome back! Lol 🤡🤡🤣💯🤡💯

Dang boyo that's so nice of you.