Sign in to follow this  
Maximum Overkill

Sam Darnold to the Vikings

Oh boy. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Oh boy. 

WTF is going on in Minnesota? Justin Jefferson should demand a trade immediately. 

Darnold, really? 

22 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Justin Jefferson owners can't be too thrilled about this, but I guess it could be worse.

Don't be surprised if he demands a trade. 

JJ will be OK..... he had Nick Mullens to end the season after JJ came back from injury and he averaged the following:

11 targets / 7.5 rec / 119 yds / 2 total TDs

I'm sure KOC will make sure JJ stays the center of this offense whoever is at QB.  

Is that it, is Darnold really going to be the Vikings #1 Qb.  The sky is falling.  That blows a lot of stock in any of the Vikings offense players. 

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Is that it, is Darnold really going to be the Vikings #1 Qb.  The sky is falling.  That blows a lot of stock in any of the Vikings offense players. 

Moonball Darnold, gonna take Minnesota to promise land on his back. 

I recall people saying good things about him when he went to the Panthers.  And he flopped.  

41 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I recall people saying good things about him when he went to the Panthers.  And he flopped.  

He had an excellent start in Carolina, but that didn't last...

• Like 1

Sam Darnold is absolutely terrible. Worst QB to get starting job in the last 5 years, slightly better than Josh Rosen, and tied with Desmond Ridder. 

What a waste of money and a roster spot. 

Vikings GM has no clue what he's doing. 

They will obviously draft a QB in the first round.

yeah, I dont know about this.  10M?  for Darnold?   maybe hes the backup and they draft someone.  so maybe you pay a bit more for him because he may have to start a few games, but Yeeesh.

That said, the Vikings were running with an old QB in Cousins.  he likely had a year or two left only and is he worth the cash?   likely cousins didnt want to sign a contract without a pile of guaranteed money.   hes been all about the money since day one. (one reason I was never a huge fan)

long term maybe this is the right move.  but there are certainly growing pains associated with that move.  Thats for sure

15 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

10M?  for Darnold?

Did they even have to pay him 10 million? It's not like teams were lined up for Superbowl Sam. 

They probably could of gotten him for a Walmart Gift Card 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Did they even have to pay him 10 million? It's not like teams were lined up for Superbowl Sam. 

They probably could of gotten him for a Walmart Gift Card 

well, maybe not that cheap, but I'm thinking 3-4 M should be the max you should be paying this guy unless you expect him to start a significant number of games.

even if that is the case...., I'd do a base salary of (lets say 4M) and a bonus based on games started and maybe wins as well.   

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, maybe not that cheap, but I'm thinking 3-4 M should be the max you should be paying this guy unless you expect him to start a significant number of games.

even if that is the case...., I'd do a base salary of (lets say 4M) and a bonus based on games started and maybe wins as well.   

Exactly! I think the Vikings panicked and got bamboozled. 

I'm sure if Kevin O'Connell can get Nick Mullens to sling the ball with some success he should be able to at least make Darnold a serviceable QB. However, with Darnold now a Viking I would think you'd have to drop Jefferson down a.little jn WR rankings. Don't think he'll be WR1 when fantasy drafts start. He'll.still be a top 10 WR but there's at least a handful of other young receivers that in all likelihood will put up better numbers than JJ. I know, I'd still like to see him be the top receiver this season but with Darnold I don't think that's gonna happen. We'll see.

I would be surprised if the Vikings don’t bring in , draft a Qb.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would be surprised if the Vikings don’t bring in , draft a Qb.  

I would imagine that's the plan. Perhaps draft McCarthy or Penix at 11 overall, maybe even trade up. Then let them sit behind Darnold till ready. 

It makes sense at this point, Darnold isn't winning anything. 

If I’m a Vikings fan, I’m asking for a refund.  

On 3/12/2024 at 5:05 AM, Maximum Overkill said:

Don't be surprised if he demands a trade. 

i heard some murmurs about an LSU reunion in cin

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

i heard some murmurs about an LSU reunion in cin

Can you imagine those 2 on the same team again?? Not fair! 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:21 AM, Maximum Overkill said:

I would imagine that's the plan. Perhaps draft McCarthy or Penix at 11 overall, maybe even trade up. Then let them sit behind Darnold till ready. 

It makes sense at this point, Darnold isn't winning anything. 

I heard the Vikings are concerned about the size and strength of Penix.

11 hours ago, LaChup said:

I heard the Vikings are concerned about the size and strength of Penix.

I don't like Penix. He had a terrible Bowl game and a horrendous week at the Senior Bowl. 

I still think it is a viable option. If Darnold isn't working out, they can just whip out their Penix.

The fact that Darnold got paid about 6 million more than expected; that could motivate him to prove his worth more, I would think also. It is a one year deal, so I think he should be extra motivated to try and prove he still belongs in the NFL. Definitely, thinking also that Vikings bring in another QB via trade/in the draft, type of scenario. A lot of being a QB is about how well the team is blocking and if players can get open for the catch from the QB; I wouldn't write Darnold completely off yet, but maybe I should watch more film.

I think Darnold isn’t a good Qb.  But one bonus he does have playing for the Vikings, if he indeed is their starting qb, he will have some fantastic weapons to team up with.  

On 3/17/2024 at 12:16 AM, weepaws said:

I think Darnold isn’t a good Qb.  But one bonus he does have playing for the Vikings, if he indeed is their starting qb, he will have some fantastic weapons to team up with.  

hes adequate at best.

based on talent coming out of college I had hoped hed do better but that was not meant to be.

he should be a career backup barring something unforseen.   if the guy his team drafts isnt ready to start in week 1 he will get some starts in.  Maybe he can develop another aspect of his game to bring himself up to a level where teams view him as an average to good starter.

its a longshot but certainly possible that it happens.   but this is not the type of longshot you pay 10 M/year to get him on your roster.  its an overpay for  sure.

If Darnold does indeed win the Qb job, he’s worthy of a double digit round ff pick. 

Joshua Dobbs signed with 49ers. So, Vikings got Sam Darnold, Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall, I think. I am guessing they trade up to #3 or #5 in the draft to find a rookie QB worthy to compete as immediate starter or take a QB, maybe in the 3rd round instead.

On 3/17/2024 at 2:16 AM, weepaws said:

He's good enough on a very good team where he's not asked to do much. The Vikings will need him to win them games, they aren't very good. Even with Cousins they couldn't win dog poop. 

10 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's good enough on a very good team where he's not asked to do much. The Vikings will need him to win them games, they aren't very good. Even with Cousins they couldn't win dog poop. 

I think, Darnold; if he plays will do better than Dobbs and Mullens did overall last year or Jaren Hall. Gotta look to see the stats, maybe a bit.

They lost a few close games last year. Also, the refs were pretty awful vs the Chiefs for them. A few other games I can't remember everything; I think I saw a few other questionable calls helping the opposing teams.  They could have easily made the playoffs; if Cousins and Jefferson didn't get injured, and had more consistent overall QB/Offensive Lineman play. Dobbs and Mullens did pretty good; but not amazing every game.

The year before last they were not too bad; had the biggest NFL comeback in history and the week after that was the best game I think; I ever saw on TV in my life vs the Bills. Also, vs the Bills; Justin Jefferson made the best catch I think I have ever seen also from Kirk Cousins on a 4th down with 1 hand. Playoffs was disappointing vs the Giants.

Saying that Darnold is better than those other three back up qbs isn’t saying much about Darnold.  

The biggest factor for Darnold is  Hockensen, Jefferson, Addison, A Jones.  

• Like 1