8 hours ago, nobody said:

Man, the NFL is really milking this.  

1. Goofy story
  2. Pick
  3. 3 minutes of coverage
  4. 4 minutes of commercials
  5. 1 minute of coverage
  6. go to step 1.

I attended the draft in Vegas, a couple of years ago.  You'd be AMAZED at the tv-delay in announcing the picks, vs. being there live..

16 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

:wacko:

The Falcons just signed Kurt Cousins to a $180 mil 4 year contract.... and turn around a draft a 23 yo QB with their #1 pick.?.  What? 

I've seen a lot of reports about how this pick didn't make sense and was disrespectful to Cousins (when did football players become so fragile?)  But seriously, if Cousins is so great and actually worth the cash he got, he should be able to elevate the performance of his teammates to get them where they want to go (not that he has ever demonstrated that capability in the past).  With the pick the Falcons are telling Cousins, we showed you are money, now show us yours and if you can't flip your career script within the next 1-3 years we are moving on.  And given Cousins age, it's likelier than not that his performance will actually decline rather than improve over the course of his contract.  Now, you could argue that Penix isn't the right prospect, but at least the Falcons were patient and let the draft come to them instead of panicking and giving away the farm to move up and grab their guy.

1 minute ago, Showboat said:

With the pick the Falcons are telling Cousins, we showed you are money, now show us yours and if you can't flip your career script within the next 1-3 years we are moving on. 

No, it tells Cousins that they don't care about winning now. They could of picked a player to help them win immediately but instead chose a backup QB who does nothing to improve the team. 

It's a horrible pick. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

No, it tells Cousins that they don't care about winning now. They could of picked a player to help them win immediately but instead chose a backup QB who does nothing to improve the team. 

It's a horrible pick. 

maybe when they signed him they told him they'd draft someone and that they want him to mentor the kid.  

sometimes that part is just as important as the on field part.

either way this is all speculation.  but I have to think if Cousins gave them a 2 year window before he likely retires, now is the perfect time to draft someone and let him learn in a low pressure atmosphere.

keep in mind Cousins is 35 and coming off a major  injury.   his good health is far from guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

It's a horrible pick. 

Well, I'd argue that if they really cared about winning (a championship and not just a nice regular season record), they wouldn't have signed Cousins in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Showboat said:

Well, I'd argue that if they really cared about winning (a championship and not just a nice regular season record), they wouldn't have signed Cousins in the first place. 

fair point.  his playoff record leaves a lot to be desired.

but in the regular season hes been money.    either way I never thought he was the long term solution,  and given the draft pick here, maybe the team doesnt either.

given his age and the major injury hes coming back from.....I figured hed be a 1 or 2 year band aid solution.    when the wheels fall off for a QB the fall is fast.   he might have 3 or 4 years left, but he also might only have 1.   its even possible hes finished already and none of us know it.

its tough to say but the injury complicates things a lot more as well.

6 minutes ago, Showboat said:

But they did sign Cousins, at a ridiculous price. 

agreed.  and he likely plays all of this year and probably all of next.    How long he holds the job depends on how he plays.   you know the drill.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

fair point.  his playoff record leaves a lot to be desired.

but in the regular season hes been money.    either way I never thought he was the long term solution,  and given the draft pick here, maybe the team doesnt either.

given his age and the major injury hes coming back from.....I figured hed be a 1 or 2 year band aid solution.    when the wheels fall off for a QB the fall is fast.   he might have 3 or 4 years left, but he also might only have 1.   its even possible hes finished already and none of us know it.

its tough to say but the injury complicates things a lot more as well.

I agree - I just think the Penix pick is not as bad as it is being portrayed.  Now, if they had given away next years first to move up, that would make the pick more questionable.  Maybe it was a reasonable gamble to sign Cousins and give him the opportunity to flip his career script (I'm not convinced of that), but I think the Falcons are wise to not have all their eggs in the Cousins' basket and give themselves a plan B.

16 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

tough to say but the injury complicates things a lot more as well.

Have you seen Penix's medical history? It makes Cousins look like the healthiest person on the planet. 

If they were worried about Cousins injury, they drafted the wrong person. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

With McCarthy on the board at that point, I think it's fair to question whether they took the right QB, but for whatever reason, Penix was their guy.

15 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Have you seen Penix's medical history? It makes Cousins look like the healthiest person on the planet. 

yeah but bouncing back from a major injury at the age of 35 is different than it is at 24. 

dont get me wrong, I think the team could have made a better pick here.    its even possible they signed cousins not thinking they'd be able to get a QB at the draft table.

either way, getting a young QB when your starter is 35+ in terms of age is probably not a bad thing in the long run.    short run.... not so good.   but if they think they cant win a superbowl with cousins maybe this is the succession plan already in place.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

I've seen a lot of reports about how this pick didn't make sense and was disrespectful to Cousins (when did football players become so fragile?)  But seriously, if Cousins is so great and actually worth the cash he got, he should be able to elevate the performance of his teammates to get them where they want to go (not that he has ever demonstrated that capability in the past).  With the pick the Falcons are telling Cousins, we showed you are money, now show us yours and if you can't flip your career script within the next 1-3 years we are moving on.  And given Cousins age, it's likelier than not that his performance will actually decline rather than improve over the course of his contract.  Now, you could argue that Penix isn't the right prospect, but at least the Falcons were patient and let the draft come to them instead of panicking and giving away the farm to move up and grab their guy.

Preach

I don't get why QB is the only position teams aren't allowed to draft competition for.

Are Keenan Allen and DJ Moore going to start crying because the bears drafted Odunze?

Is Mayer going to start crying because the raiders drafted Bowers?

And by the way, Cousins don't do these teams any favors.  He goes for the max every single time.  Teams don't owe him shìt

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah but bouncing back from a major injury at the age of 35 is different than it is at 24. 

dont get me wrong, I think the team could have made a better pick here.    its even possible they signed cousins not thinking they'd be able to get a QB at the draft table.

either way, getting a young QB when your starter is 35+ in terms of age is probably not a bad thing in the long run.    short run.... not so good.   but if they think they cant win a superbowl with cousins maybe this is the succession plan already in place.

But no matter how you slice it, it doesn't make sense. 

They could of had Justin Fields for almost nothing. Why spend 1st round draft capital on a position you don't need? 

Penix isn't exactly perfect, he older, has health issues and a lot of questions regarding his talent. 

Penix was a bad pick, but who cares about Cousins.  The falcons can and should draft the best players they can regardless of position.

The problem is penix wasn't worth the 8th pick.  He's got rebuilt knees and a rebuilt shoulder and he's so old, by the time he's playing he's going to be 27.  

I've been setting up for this draft for two years.  I have 4 picks in the first 15.

WANTED: AN ARREST WARRANT HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR HOWIE ROSEMAN. HE IS WANTED FOR HIGHWAY ROBBERY. 

15 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

But no matter how you slice it, it doesn't make sense. 

They could of had Justin Fields for almost nothing. Why spend 1st round draft capital on a position you don't need? 

Penix isn't exactly perfect, he older, has health issues and a lot of questions regarding his talent. 

we dont know what goes on behind the scenes.  thats why everyone watches the draft because teams do things we dont expect.

keep in mind all these GM's have connections at the college level.     They have opinions they trust and others they dont and some have the inside scoop on certain prospects that few (if anyone else) have.   This is why some players rise and fall on the draft board unexpectedly.

clearly this GM loves the player.  otherwise he wouldnt have taken him.    in a couple of years we will all find out if he was right.   in the interim, its Cousins show.   Not much else to say about that.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

It's a horrible pick. 

No it’s not. 

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Preach

I don't get why QB is the only position teams aren't allowed to draft competition for.

Are Keenan Allen and DJ Moore going to start crying because the bears drafted Odunze?

Is Mayer going to start crying because the raiders drafted Bowers?

I think Mayer is going to, but he’s not a Qb, so no one will hear him.  🎉

So dumb. you can play 2 TEs at the same time or even rotate them. There is only 1QB who will play…

A team can do both. They can rotate qbs, and have two qbs on the field at the same time. 

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

A team can do both. They can rotate qbs, and have two qbs on the field at the same time. 

yes, but history has shown that it is a rare case where you can run with 2 QB and win.

i suspect it is because a QB needs to play in order to stay sharp.    so taking equal reps means both QB's under perform.

if these guys play both QB's equally by design and win with it you can expect a full apology from me at seasons end, but I honestly dont think it will come to that.

No team rotates QB's. Maybe in College, not in the NFL. The only exception is a gadget player like Taysom Hill, who isn't really a QB. Regardless, not applicable here as Penix is a pure pocket passer. He won't play a down unless cousins gets hurt. Mayer, will play a lot, regardless of what Brock Bowers does. The point still stands, apples to oranges and a lazy comparison at that...

48 minutes ago, jrokh said:

So dumb. you can play 2 TEs at the same time or even rotate them. There is only 1QB who will play…

So dumb.  2 tight end sets are ran probably 10% of the time, and you could rotate QBs if you wanted to, but of course, the starter would cry about that too 

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

So dumb.  2 tight end sets are ran probably 10% of the time, and you could rotate QBs if you wanted to, but of course, the starter would cry about that too 

its a good way to piss off all the QBs on the roster.   everyone wants to start.  thats the way these things go.

Just now, nobody said:

Not sure what your point is. You actually know football, so should understand that Mayer will play a lot, and Penix won't play at all. Don't really care about Cousins' feelings one way or the other...

Since jrkoh is a stickler, do kickers cry when competition gets drafted.

And I know since you love to be argumentative, you'll say they don't get drafted high, but drafting a kicker at any spot means the team wants them to be their kicker.

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Not sure what your point is. You actually know football, so should understand that Mayer will play a lot, and Penix won't play at all. Don't really care about Cousins' feelings one way or the other...

Mayer is a blocker and Bowers is basically a slot receiver, so they're telling Mayer he's a 6th lineman.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its a good way to piss off all the QBs on the roster.   everyone wants to start.  thats the way these things go.

Who cares.  The NFL is a meritocracy.  Beat the guy if you want to keep your job.  Crying about competition at the NFL level is some wnba stuff.

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

Mayer is a blocker and Bowers is basically a slot receiver, so they're telling Mayer he's a 6th lineman.

Well, I guess I gave you too much credit. Mayer is more than just a blocker. He's not the receiver Bowers is, but he ran a lot of routes last year. read any scouting report on him coming out of Notre Dame and he is a viewed as a complete TE.... 

Sounds good.  I'm sure they're envisioning them out running routes together.