Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

NFL Draft 2024 - Round 1 Discussion

I'm confident they will be in 12 personnel more than the made up 10% you quoted...

13 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Well, I guess I gave you too much credit. Mayer is more than just a blocker. He's not the receiver Bowers is, but he ran a lot of routes last year. read any scouting report on him coming out of Notre Dame and he is a viewed as a complete TE.... 

from what I've seen he was starting to look like a legit player at the position in the 2nd half of last year.

while the team CAN play 2 TE's his playing time is going to drop.    You dont usually draft a TE in round one and then sit him on the bench.  hes getting a decent amount of playing time.

on the other hand if I was a TE needy team I'd be picking up the phone to see if Mayer is available.

After the Chargers passing on a wr, the Raiders picking a TE when they could have filled another spot wit; a bigger need was a very questionable pick, Mayer look like he was going to be ready to go in year two for him.  

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

After the Chargers passing on a wr, the Raiders picking a TE when they could have filled another spot wit; a bigger need was a very questionable pick, Mayer look like he was going to be ready to go in year two for him.  

well, it was a fairly deep draft at WR.     and I would argue the O line needed help too.  and if my memory is correct some of the starters were on the wrong side of the age 30.

so even if it wasnt on fire, it probably will be soon enough.    and in a deep draft, they can come back and get another WR in round 2 or 3.    With Harbaugh just returning to the NFL from college, he likely has the inside scoop on a few players that are not first round picks.

15 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, it was a fairly deep draft at WR.     and I would argue the O line needed help too.  and if my memory is correct some of the starters were on the wrong side of the age 30.

so even if it wasnt on fire, it probably will be soon enough.    and in a deep draft, they can come back and get another WR in round 2 or 3.    With Harbaugh just returning to the NFL from college, he likely has the inside scoop on a few players that are not first round picks.

I can respect a debate taking a online player with a developing young Qb.  But they have very little playmakers, Ekeler, Allen, M Williams gone, they need a wr1 today, I’m saying they should have gone wr.  

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I can respect a debate taking a online player with a developing young Qb.  But they have very little playmakers, Ekeler, Allen, M Williams gone, they need a wr1 today, I’m saying they should have gone wr.  

I would have been happy with a WR as well.

but investing in the O line to protect your all star QB (who is still young) is never a terrible idea.

I honestly hoped they would draft a top WR and then come back in round 2 to take an O Lineman and then maybe a RB in round 3.

bottom line: there are too many holes to fill in this draft.   I think there may have been value in keeping one of the incumbent WR for one more year before cleaning house

🤣 These idiots on the NFL network. Cousins is the starter for 2 years at a minimum. Falcons paid him 100 m. Penix sits for 2 years and then takes over. They simply saw what its like to not have a QB. All your skill position players are wasted.

Where did they dig up this idiot next to Rich Eisen? Total moron.

3 hours ago, Showboat said:

With McCarthy on the board at that point, I think it's fair to question whether they took the right QB, but for whatever reason, Penix was their guy.

Part of the big reasoning is their OC.  It’s the system from the Rams.  Think big arm Stafford, JJM not nearly on the arm level of Penix.  “Throws hard” yes but can he make the side line throws on the out routes like the big boys do??  Not like Penix… 

50 minutes ago, lod001 said:

🤣 These idiots on the NFL network. Cousins is the starter for 2 years at a minimum. Falcons paid him 100 m. Penix sits for 2 years and then takes over. They simply saw what its like to not have a QB. All your skill position players are wasted.

Where did they dig up this idiot next to Rich Eisen? Total moron.

If Cousins makes it two more seasons, I agree with you. 

56 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I would have been happy with a WR as well.

but investing in the O line to protect your all star QB (who is still young) is never a terrible idea.

I honestly hoped they would draft a top WR and then come back in round 2 to take an O Lineman and then maybe a RB in round 3.

bottom line: there are too many holes to fill in this draft.   I think there may have been value in keeping one of the incumbent WR for one more year before cleaning house

Look at who’s their new coach, he’s a very prideful person, cleaning house wasn’t a surprise, he wants to win with his guys.  Might cost him a little time early on.  

36 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Look at who’s their new coach, he’s a very prideful person, cleaning house wasn’t a surprise, he wants to win with his guys.  Might cost him a little time early on.  

well, if my memory serves me, didnt his team draft a pile of O linemen when he became the 49ers coach way back?

The Raiders can let Bowers marinate a couple years behind Mayer before playing. Great pick!

Harrison Jr might just be my wr1 in my 14 non ppr.  I’m going rb rb rb I hope.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Harrison Jr might just be my wr1 in my 14 non ppr.  I’m going rb rb rb I hope.  

Good luck with that.  Unless your league has some very beneficial scoring for RBs, I just don't see the point in targeting the RB position like that any more.  The era of the bell cow back is over.  McCaffrey might be the lone exception but he has a lot of mileage on his wheels and I could see the 49ers spelling him a lot more.  Bijon may be poised for a breakout, but Cousins probably wants try to emulate Aaron Rodgers with 1 yard TD passes.  Gibbs still has Monty lurking.  Hurts will vulture a lot of TDs from Saquan - same with Richardson/Taylor.  Swift should certainly be the Bears 1A, but Herbert and Roschon will limit his upside.  Mixon, Jacobs and the rookie Brooks may be the best bets, but I don't know that I would want to spend an early round pick on any of them - it seems that now more that ever you are better off loading up with RBs in the mid-rounds..

42 minutes ago, Showboat said:

Good luck with that.  Unless your league has some very beneficial scoring for RBs, I just don't see the point in targeting the RB position like that any more.  The era of the bell cow back is over.  McCaffrey might be the lone exception but he has a lot of mileage on his wheels and I could see the 49ers spelling him a lot more.  Bijon may be poised for a breakout, but Cousins probably wants try to emulate Aaron Rodgers with 1 yard TD passes.  Gibbs still has Monty lurking.  Hurts will vulture a lot of TDs from Saquan - same with Richardson/Taylor.  Swift should certainly be the Bears 1A, but Herbert and Roschon will limit his upside.  Mixon, Jacobs and the rookie Brooks may be the best bets, but I don't know that I would want to spend an early round pick on any of them - it seems that now more that ever you are better off loading up with RBs in the mid-rounds..

Thank you.  It’s a non ppr league, with 14 teams, Rbs will still be going early and often.  This league has been around since 1988, and it’s been an half ppr league the last three seasons, but everyone was bored with that, so back to a non ppr.  

Last time this league was a non ppr four seasons ago, rb where prime value, especially based on what you said, not many bellcow Rbs around.   

If I can get a couple of td wr guys like Mr Harrison plus three Rbs I’m going to be in great shape.  

Thanks for the return.