Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Any thoughts on Kaepernick's possible destination?

His kneeling during the anthem really caused a lot of people to lose their heads.

While he spoke at length to the team about his reasons and they didnt seem to mind that much - and then went on to post pretty good numbers on a terrible team, the off field ramifications of his actions have had consequences.

Him backing up RW in Seattle or Dak in Dallas makes sense on paper, but only one of those teams likely has the gumption to make it work.

don't want the guy in dallas. have wonderful chemistry going based on the team, the team, the team.

he can only be a distraction, and although i don't care for the way he went about making his statement, it doesn't really matter why he would be a distraction. didn't tebow either, for exactly the same reason.

Is the team chemistry still wonderful if they start the season losing their first few games and need a back up QB.

I think not.

Winning cures any issue a team is having.

Is the team chemistry still wonderful if they start the season losing their first few games and need a back up QB.

I think not.

same rationale for bringing in TO, pacman, and hardy. short term problems are not a good reason to invite long term liabilities. the cowboys started out winning with TO, but he was still corrosive to the locker room, and that roster always had problems with culture until garrett cleaned house. kap is nowhere remotely close to TO talent-wise, so it would be even dumber to invite the same level of distraction in to be a backup. more recently, look at the effect hardy had on gregory and lawrence.

the team is just as screwed if zeke goes down, but i would have been equally opposed to drafting mixon. there are some things that winning doesn't cure.

I understand what your point is, but I'm not going to compare a HOF wr to a back up QB.

But that HOF wr was a much much larger distraction then Kap has ever been, and that's mostly because he was a HOF Wr and a deva.

I think it will be a missed opportunity for the team that's doesn't take him.

I thought Gregory's problems started in college?

same rationale for bringing in TO, pacman, and hardy. short term problems are not a good reason to invite long term liabilities. the cowboys started out winning with TO, but he was still corrosive to the locker room, and that roster always had problems with culture until garrett cleaned house. kap is nowhere remotely close to TO talent-wise, so it would be even dumber to invite the same level of distraction in to be a backup. more recently, look at the effect hardy had on gregory and lawrence.

the team is just as screwed if zeke goes down, but i would have been equally opposed to drafting mixon. there are some things that winning doesn't cure.

No it isn't, Those guys helped you win games... Kaepernick doesn't.

But Kaepernick could. I still don't see how he would be that big of a distraction in the locker room. He may be a distraction to the owners, coaches and fans but I don't think he's all that bad in the locker room. If a team really needs a decent back up then Kaepernick is the best option right now. He's going to give your team a better chance to win if your starter goes down. Right now his value is not very high because there aren't many team desperate for a back up.

But Kaepernick could. I still don't see how he would be that big of a distraction in the locker room. He may be a distraction to the owners, coaches and fans but I don't think he's all that bad in the locker room. If a team really needs a decent back up then Kaepernick is the best option right now. He's going to give your team a better chance to win if your starter goes down. Right now his value is not very high because there aren't many team desperate for a back up.

I dont think he'd be a distraction in the locker room.

The media attention might be distracting, but he himself wouldn't be. When you also consider that he's not protesting this year, I suspect the media circus will die down after the first game or two of the season.

I think the only scenario where this blows up is if you have a bunch of racist white guys in the dressing room who cant handle it. and any team in that situation, likely has bigger problems than the likes of Kapernick.

Realistically, most NFL teams have at least 50% of the players being black.

I could see a number of black players looking up to him as well as a number of non blacks who believe in the cause.

That being said, I dont really think this is the reason he's sitting. I've made my opinion on this earlier in the thread, but to summarize:

1. is he asking for too much money?
  2. he made a lot of money last year. will he be okay with a big pay cut?
  3. is he willing to swallow his pride to be a top backup? or will he only play as a starter?
  4. if he signs as a backup will he be a malcontent because of taking less money or not being the starter?

These are the key questions any team will want to answer before signing him.

yes there is the issue of the media circus associated with his protest, but I really think that's a 2-3 game media thing that will die down now that his protest is over. The issue will likely resolve itself before the exhibition season is done.

• Like 1

No, he can't. His track record of losing, sub par passing, and high sack ratio tells me that he can't pass from the pocket. If you want to have a team in this league that wins games and has a shot at the Super Bowl, you need a QB that can pass from the pocket. Kaepernick, just like Robert Griffin III, can't pass from the pocket. That's why both don't have starting jobs. How come no one is campaigning for him to get a job? Because no one "feels sorry for him"... that's why.

I don't think anyone believes Kaepernick will be a distraction at all "in the locker room", but that's not the problem. Teams that want him as a starter are going to have to try and sell this to the public and the advertisers. Bottom line, his talent on the field isn't greater than the negativity off the field. He's not a good QB that has a public relations red flag. That's not good for businesses. If you really feel sorry for him, tell him to go to Canada and try and improve his passing game there. That will probably get him a starting gig in the NFL faster than agenda driven bleeding hearts.

No, he can't. His track record of losing, sub par passing, and high sack ratio tells me that he can't pass from the pocket. If you want to have a team in this league that wins games and has a shot at the Super Bowl, you need a QB that can pass from the pocket. Kaepernick, just like Robert Griffin III, can't pass from the pocket. That's why both don't have starting jobs. How come no one is campaigning for him to get a job? Because no one "feels sorry for him"... that's why.

I don't think anyone believes Kaepernick will be a distraction at all "in the locker room", but that's not the problem. Teams that want him as a starter are going to have to try and sell this to the public and the advertisers. Bottom line, his talent on the field isn't greater than the negativity off the field. He's not a good QB that has a public relations red flag. That's not good for businesses. If you really feel sorry for him, tell him to go to Canada and try and improve his passing game there. That will probably get him a starting gig in the NFL faster than agenda driven bleeding hearts.

So you believe that if a team in playoff contention loses their starting QB that their current back up or third string QB would offer them a better chance to win than Kaepernick? I agree that he's not all that good enough to be a starter right now but there are so many terrible QBs in the NFL that I just can't see them being better than Kaepernick. At least he's shown he can put up some decent numbers and he has experience.

• Like 1

So you believe that if a team in playoff contention loses their starting QB that their current back up or third string QB would offer them a better chance to win than Kaepernick? I agree that he's not all that good enough to be a starter right now but there are so many terrible QBs in the NFL that I just can't see them being better than Kaepernick. At least he's shown he can put up some decent numbers and he has experience.

Not really, no. Even if he could... let's say he could step in to a situation where a team needs him for 4 games and he could win 3. Does HE want that? I don't think he does. I think he wants to start. That's why I say he should go to Canada. There, they are forced to throw. He may be able to show NFL GM's that he's learned and can throw from the pocket and win games as a starter.

Heck, while he's there, he can push his fake agenda there too, as it seems they're having racial tension up there. I say fake because he bailed on it the second things got too hot... oh, and he didn't vote. Someone who's really dedicated to a cause doesn't back down and they get involved. All he wanted was exactly what you're giving him. 'Oh, woah is Colin'. He's selfish and wanted attention. Well, he got it... and caved. Personally, I think he's full of crap.

I think whats going on with Kap is a two fold issue:

1. He is just not that good. Would he be a capable backup in the right system?... possibly. But no team sees him as a starter. I don think its about the money since no team even brought him in for a workout.

2. He was black balled by the owners/ possibly coaches due to the negative attention he would bring to the team. Biggest concerns being:

a. will he find some other "cause" to take on and bring attention to himself (an unwanted attention to the team). As a 2nd string qb your job is to stay invisible and help support the starter, then step in if an injury happens. Its not healthy for team chemistry to have a backup QB get more attention then starters. He already has shown that he is willing to put his own needs above the team weather attention was warranted or not.

b. As a cautionary tale to any other player that might want to drive their political agenda through an NFL team.

At the end of the day if a major injury to a starter happens, i believe Kap will eventually get the call as need trumps all baggage.

you're not tracking the conversation.

No, he can't. His track record of losing, sub par passing, and high sack ratio tells me that he can't pass from the pocket. If you want to have a team in this league that wins games and has a shot at the Super Bowl, you need a QB that can pass from the pocket.

Since 2011:

QB1 - career 59.8 accuracy, 72/30 TD/INT, 12.1 Y/C, 171 sacks taken.

QB2 - career 58.4 accuracy, 136/78 TD/INT, 12.7 Y/C, 221 sacks taken.

QB1 was 25-12 from 2012-2014.

QB2 was 24-17 from 2012-2014.

QB2 is Cam Newton...

• Like 1

Since 2011:

QB2 is Cam Newton...

I personally don't think Cam Newton is all that great of a QB either. He is more talented than Kaepernick, but also, there's a big difference between the two. Newton was pro-gressing - until this past season... Kaepernick has been re-gressing.

you're not tracking the conversation.

Nope, I'm tracking it just fine. You're the one not tracking it. I made the point all along that the talent on the field (i.e. results / wins), isn't greater than the distraction off the field (i.e., public relations / business impact).

I would like to see him with the Seahawks.

I think with good coaching and surrounded with a good team he can be a good on field manager of a game.

I'm rooting for the guy.

Great comparison between Kap and Newton.

Not really, no. Even if he could... let's say he could step in to a situation where a team needs him for 4 games and he could win 3. Does HE want that? I don't think he does. I think he wants to start. That's why I say he should go to Canada. There, they are forced to throw. He may be able to show NFL GM's that he's learned and can throw from the pocket and win games as a starter.

Heck, while he's there, he can push his fake agenda there too, as it seems they're having racial tension up there. I say fake because he bailed on it the second things got too hot... oh, and he didn't vote. Someone who's really dedicated to a cause doesn't back down and they get involved. All he wanted was exactly what you're giving him. 'Oh, woah is Colin'. He's selfish and wanted attention. Well, he got it... and caved. Personally, I think he's full of crap.

I never really understood this argument. I see people complain about how he was wrong for protesting and lost respect for him. Then Kaepernick decides he's made his point long enough and it's time to stop but now the same people that hated his protesting are saying that he's a fake and that they lost respect for him because he backed down. Which one is it? Did you lose respect for him because he stood up for something he believed in or did you lose respect for him because he backed down? I'm not sure it can be both.

He's got a workout today scheduled for Seattle. The players on all their own personal twitter accounts seem fine with bringing the guy in. He would (on paper) seem to fit our system also. If he looks good, and it's a team friendly deal. I guess I'm for it. Not in favor of it, but willing to give it a chance.

I would rather have Boykin, but it looks like his incident has voided his probation. Jail time is a real possibility for the kid. So we do need another QB.

Since 2011:

QB2 is Cam Newton...

Both led their teams to Super Bowls and lost too. Everyone loves Cam though. I have to admit that I am one that thinks Cam is the better QB too but he's not as great as some make him out to be.

He's got a workout today scheduled for Seattle. The players on all their own personal twitter accounts seem fine with bringing the guy in. He would (on paper) seem to fit our system also. If he looks good, and it's a team friendly deal. I guess I'm for it. Not in favor of it, but willing to give it a chance.

I would rather have Boykin, but it looks like his incident has voided his probation. Jail time is a real possibility for the kid. So we do need another QB.

Why would you rather have Boykin? One has never proven he can be an NFL QB and has a history of getting in trouble while the other has plenty of experience starting in the NFL, played in playoff games and in the Super Bowl, doesn't have a history of getting in trouble and actually contributes to society.

• Like 1

I never really understood this argument. I see people complain about how he was wrong for protesting and lost respect for him. Then Kaepernick decides he's made his point long enough and it's time to stop but now the same people that hated his protesting are saying that he's a fake and that they lost respect for him because he backed down. Which one is it? Did you lose respect for him because he stood up for something he believed in or did you lose respect for him because he backed down? I'm not sure it can be both.

I think his protest was selfish and not genuine. I think he did it for the publicity because he lost his job. I don't think he truly was behind the cause. If he were, how come he didn't start the protest last year? How come he didn't vote? How come he didn't kneel during the pre-season games... you know, when he still thought he was going to be or had the chance to start?

I didn't lose respect for him until I saw through his motives. The second he got his starting job back, he stopped kneeling. THAT's when I realized he was full of crap. That's when I stopped having respect for him. Now, I'm not going to say I agree with him, but just because I don't agree with people, it doesn't mean I can't respect their opinions.

I'm still the old fashioned pocket passer guy myself. As much as I love Russell Wilson. To this day, I still hold my breath every single time he runs around. With his baseball background, and his ability to slide into second every single time. He's probably the safest running QB their is. I still can't get used to it though.

Why would you rather have Boykin? One has never proven he can be an NFL QB and has a history of getting in trouble while the other has plenty of experience starting in the NFL, played in playoff games and in the Super Bowl, doesn't have a history of getting in trouble and actually contributes to society.

You didn't like what you saw of him in college, or his first offseason?

I sure did. Factor in his age and salary, and room to grow with our team, and Wilson mentoring him. I thought he was perfect.

I think his protest was selfish and not genuine. I think he did it for the publicity because he lost his job. I don't think he truly was behind the cause. If he were, how come he didn't start the protest last year? How come he didn't vote? How come he didn't kneel during the pre-season games... you know, when he still thought he was going to be or had the chance to start?

I didn't lose respect for him until I saw through his motives. The second he got his starting job back, he stopped kneeling. THAT's when I realized he was full of crap. That's when I stopped having respect for him.

I agree that it wasn't really the best way to do it but he must have thought it was. How do any of us know what he correct way to do it was? How could he have gotten his point across while reaching the same amount of people yet not upsetting anyone? I'm not sure it's possible.

You didn't like what you saw of him in college, or his first offseason?

I sure did. Factor in his age and salary, and room to grow with our team, and Wilson mentoring him. I thought he was perfect.

He was fine in college. I haven't seen him do anything in the NFL. I thought it was strange to prefer a guy that hasn't done anything in the NFL and has gotten in trouble over a guy that has played and doesn't get in trouble.

I agree that it wasn't really the best way to do it but he must have thought it was. How do any of us know what he correct way to do it was? How could he have gotten his point across while reaching the same amount of people yet not upsetting anyone? I'm not sure it's possible.

I think his fine little honey was his puppeteer also. He sure didn't act like that before he met her. He might be pu $$ y whipped.

I think his fine little honey was his puppeteer also. He sure didn't act like that before he met her. He might be pu $$ y whipped.

That's always a possibility. Women can make men do some crazy things.

Oh, he was going to upset people, that's a given. He lost me when I saw through him. If he truly felt the way he claimed he did, he should have come out and said something first. I find it extremely odd that not one other teammate joined him in his protest, don't you? That caught my attention. After he got his starting job back, he stopped his protest. That's not odd to you? So, his protest started after he lost his job, and stopped when he got his job back. That's a very transparent agenda. To me, he didn't protest the cause, he protested losing his job and used the cause to hide behind. I have no sympathy for him.

He was fine in college. I haven't seen him do anything in the NFL. I thought it was strange to prefer a guy that hasn't done anything in the NFL and has gotten in trouble over a guy that has played and doesn't get in trouble.

Its just whatever side of the fence you fall on I suppose.

Young cheap kid, with room to grow. Vs high payed veteran. Pros and cons on each side.

• Like 1

That's always a possibility. Women can make men do some crazy things.

Especially when they're hot as hell, and a very active spokesperson in the african american, muslim community.
  • Like 1

Nope, I'm tracking it just fine. You're the one not tracking it. I made the point all along that the talent on the field (i.e. results / wins), isn't greater than the distraction off the field (i.e., public relations / business impact).

you wandered into a conversation between weepaws and me, and are disagreeing with something that i didn't say because apparently you don't understand the argument that is being made.

every semester, i have to teach undergrads what an argument is and how to analyze it--do you need that lecture?

you wandered into a conversation between weepaws and me, and are disagreeing with something that i didn't say because apparently you don't understand the argument that is being made.

every semester, i have to teach undergrads what an argument is and how to analyze it--do you need that lecture?

You are correct, I accidentally quoted you thinking you were someone else. Carry on.

Those people are just haters.

and there's no making a hater happy. They decide they hate someone (or something) and there is nothing you can say or do to satisfy them.

best to ignore this type. There is no amount of stats or facts you can show them to make them change their mind.

• Like 2

Oh, he was going to upset people, that's a given. He lost me when I saw through him. If he truly felt the way he claimed he did, he should have come out and said something first. I find it extremely odd that not one other teammate joined him in his protest, don't you? That caught my attention. After he got his starting job back, he stopped his protest. That's not odd to you? So, his protest started after he lost his job, and stopped when he got his job back. That's a very transparent agenda. To me, he didn't protest the cause, he protested losing his job and used the cause to hide behind. I have no sympathy for him.

You're spewing a whole lot of falsehoods here.

Let's start with his teammates: The same teammates that voted for him to win the Eshmont Award. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/teammates-vote-kaepernick-winner-prestigious-eshmont-award

Eric Reid joined in the protest during the preseason. His reasoning for stopping was explained:

“When we started doing that, our goal was to open up the floor to conversation. I believe we’ve achieved that goal,” Reid said Wednesday at 49ers minicamp. “So now we just want to move forward and just partner with people that want to make a change.”

Also...Kaepernick protested throughout the entire season. He said he would stop this offseason.

However, as to the "he should have come out and said something first" line..What good would that have done to those who hated his actions? He sat the first and second games of the preseason without anyone taking notice. It wasn't until game 3 of the preseason that the infamous photo was taken. It seems a bit naive to think those that lambasted him would have said, "Oh OK I can understand since you said something"

His protest was just about his job? The year prior to his kneeling he was actively engaging in the very issues he was concerned with. There's financial proof that he has contributed both time and money towards social projects.

I'm not going to stand on a pedestal defending him against others because this, much like most debates nowadays, involves people that have made up their mind and are firmly entrenched in those beliefs. Having said that, it helps when your beliefs about a situation are accurate, particularly involving one as toxic as this debate.

• Like 3

I think not.

and you think Kaepernick would stop the bleeding? I would put dak out in a wheelchair if it came between a dak with 2 broken legs or a healthy Kaepernick

I would also go with a starting QB over the backup.

He's the back up for a reason.

But if you need to use a back up QB, I would go with a back up that can do a good job, and with a team that has good talent like the Cowboys I'm sure with out question no doubt about it I think that your friend and mind Kaep can get the job done, and so do you.

Your all missing the point, there is no need to bring kap to the team and lose money because fans are disgruntled. Even a liberal city wont benefit by increased ticket sales or merchandise. Kap is a dime a dozen with only Russians and racists to blame for his own behavior.

Your all missing the point, there is no need to bring kap to the team and lose money because fans are disgruntled. Even a liberal city wont benefit by increased ticket sales or merchandise. Kap is a dime a dozen with only Russians and racists to blame for his own behavior.

This is just a ridiculous post.