Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyn2022

Jordan Mathews a faster Colston?

Been hearing good things about him in camp. Maclin is always hurt. He's Jerry Rice Cousin. Not that that really matter but I'm sure Rice is in his ear about work ethic. He had a game in lee season where he had 10 targets 10 catches and a 100 yards. Anything to see here? Rookie WR seem to never Pan out.

Matthews vs. Sammy Watkins

Somebody compare them and tell me what you see...

Matthews has better/same numbers in every area. Combine & production

Matthews is in a better situation on a better offense with a one hobbled guy & unproven guy in front of him.

Matthews could buck the rookie WR trend given the situation he's in. High powered offense and they have to throw to someone. Appears he may actually be pretty good too

Think Riley Cooper last year if Cooper were anything but a career journeyman

While the measurables are similar the difference I've seen in the two i would attribute to "football speed" Watkins plays the game faster than his 40 time would indicate. Matthews may not play as fast as his. Watkins acceleration out of cuts and initial burst are what he used to separate in college, his top gear was above average but not track star fast.

I only saw Matthews a time or two but I don't think he plays as fast "in pads" as Watkins does. The scouting profiles seem to indicate this, that Matthews may lack the acceleration in and out of breaks to separate from elite db's. Not that he's won't succeed in Philly but I think that's the difference. There are a lot of combine track stars that can't play WR in the NFL because they can't separate out of cuts.

Watkins

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457

Matthews

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-matthews?id=2543500

I watched a ton of Vandy games. In person I've seen this kid play a half dozen times. He runs away from people in the SEC and he did it for 4 Years. Watkins played in a gadget offense in a soft conference.

Edit...the reason I compare them is because there is this "he's not that athletic" feel to it when people talk about him. The guy is better in a game than he even measures out and he measured out well.

Quick name a WR that finished top 5 in the SEC 3 times.

AJ Green?

Julio Jones?

Alshon Jeffery?

Percy Harvin?

Randal Cobb?

Mike Wallace?

Justin Hunter?

Mike Evans?

Wrong!

Jordan Matthews - Bingo! We have a winner!

• Like 1

Matthews is in a great situation -high powered offense and they need him to contribute right away. Add to that he came out of college as ready to play in the NFL as a WR can be.

He has a good shot at his performance greatly exceeding his current ADP.

I watched a ###### ton of Vandy games. In person I've seen this kid play a half dozen times. He runs away from people in the SEC and he did it for 4 Years. Watkins played in a gadget offense in a soft conference.

Edit...the reason I compare them is because there is this "he's not that athletic" feel to it when people talk about him. The guy is better in a game than he even measures out and he measured out well.

As I said I haven't seen Matthews play much so I can't really compare the two other than what I read. I can say what I've seen from Watkins in that despite being the focal point of opposing defenses throughout college he consistently got open.

I would say hanging your hat on conference affiliation in the NFL is pretty meaningless. The "soft" ACC had 42 players drafted this year. The SEC had 49. The last numbers I could (spring of 2013) find had the SEC at 17% of rostered NFL players, the B1G, ACC, and Pac 12 are about 13% each. So it's not like other conferences are vastly inferior in terms of NFL talent.

I clearly agree Matthews is in a better situation than Watkins and I could easily see him posting better numbers this year. I am curious why NFL evaluators would note him as being slow out of his cuts if they hadn't seen something to make them say that.

As I said I haven't seen Matthews play much so I can't really compare the two other than what I read. I can say what I've seen from Watkins in that despite being the focal point of opposing defenses throughout college he consistently got open.

I would say hanging your hat on conference affiliation in the NFL is pretty meaningless. The "soft" ACC had 42 players drafted this year. The SEC had 49. The last numbers I could (spring of 2013) find had the SEC at 17% of rostered NFL players, the B1G, ACC, and Pac 12 are about 13% each. So it's not like other conferences are vastly inferior in terms of NFL talent.

I clearly agree Matthews is in a better situation than Watkins and I could easily see him posting better numbers this year. I am curious why NFL evaluators would note him as being slow out of his cuts if they hadn't seen something to make them say that.

Playing in that offense at Clemson against some very poor defenses can't help in this case. Matthews got to work against some high level CBs in his time in the SEC. Maybe it's not a factor but it seems life it would be.

Watkins has a knock on him for running sloppy routes as well. It's college. It's rare to find a guy come out who is polished in this area.

.. One other thing. You say Watkins was the focal point of that offense and he was to some extent, but that offense had some serious talent around him and it was tailored for his style. Go look at who Matthews had throwing him the ball for his career.

Matthews isn't going to blow by anyone and take anything to the house consistently but he looks very NFL ready and smart to me.

When he catches the ball, he is great after the catch and always seems to have a nose for the first down marker.

I think he could be very productive in the Eagles scheme as more of a crossing route, check down guy working the middle of the field.

If I can get him late I will . I like the upside .

FLgatorguy87... you have no fvcking clue how good Sammy is. Watch the highlight vs UGA last year when he leveled a big SEC sized safety with his shoulder then out ran the entire UGA team with their SEC speed.

Btw, nice game vs Louisville in the BCS game 2years ago. The BIG EAST made you bend over. Also, how many catches does Demarcus Robinson have throughout his career down there... I'll wait.

FLgatorguy87... you have no fvcking clue how good Sammy is. Watch the highlight vs UGA last year when he leveled a big SEC sized safety with his shoulder then out ran the entire UGA team with their SEC speed.

Btw, nice game vs Louisville in the BCS game 2years ago. The BIG EAST made you bend over. Also, how many catches does Demarcus Robinson have throughout his career down there... I'll wait.

Easy there killer. I never said Sammy was no good... and yes we lost 2 years ago.. Who cares? You must be an SEC fan because your reading comprehension and insults scream "roll tide".

I have zero interest exchanging shots against favorite teams like 8th graders. You are welcome to continue.

• Like 1

Easy there killer. I never said Sammy was no good... and yes we lost 2 years ago.. Who cares? You must be an SEC fan because your reading comprehension and insults scream "roll tide".

I have zero interest exchanging shots against favorite teams like 8th graders. You are welcome to continue.

Wow guy...Why u mad bro? Lol at everyone having a grown man conversation and this guy comes along with his post. Grow up!!! Mathews has great size has show flashes already of being a solid player. Had a great camp. I like him a lot. I think him and cook have the best chance this year.

And we never will with him playing in Buffalo.

and EJ Manuel throwing to him.

BTW, what I said last week about Jordan Matthews in another thread.......

"Definitely can be the rookie of the year. This guy is super smart. A Vandy grad who Chip Kelly said he was the most impressive person he'd interviewed before the draft. Kelly said they were watching film and Matthews could tell him the down, the coverage and the outcome of the play just by looking at the still picture on the screen. He reminds me of Marques Colston and could have a rookie year similar to his. So far I've been getting him in the 13th round but his ADP doesn't match his huge upside."

Quick name a rookie who has had more than 8 catches in a single preseason game?

No one, ever! Except Jordan Matthews!

Sure, it's a meaningless stat. It has no bearing on future success. It doesn't mean anything because it's the preseason.

Yet, in the history of the NFL, no one has done it before. Hmmmm....

Watkins can have more talent all day long, but that doesnt mean he will be a better WR.

It's widely known that Jerry Rice wasn't the most talented WR. His measurables and stats are good, but not great, yet he was the greatest WR of all time.

Watkins can have more talent all day long, but that doesnt mean he will be a better WR.

It's widely known that Jerry Rice wasn't the most talented WR. His measurables and stats are good, but not great, yet he was the greatest WR of all time.

Good posting. JM has flaws but so do most. He appears to have the work ethic to mask those flaws and good coaching will help. He's in the right place. He should become a nice asset over time.

Quick name a rookie who has had more than 8 catches in a single preseason game?

No one, ever! Except Jordan Matthews!

Sure, it's a meaningless stat. It has no bearing on future success. It doesn't mean anything because it's the preseason.

Yet, in the history of the NFL, no one has done it before. Hmmmm....

"Preseason" being the operative word...this stat is meaningless

"Preseason" being the operative word...this stat is meaningless

No sh!t... I said so in my post. But thanks for repeating it....

• Like 1

Jordan Matthews, WR, Philadelphia, 119.4 pSPARQ

Name HT WT AL 40 10 SS 3C BP VJ BJ pSPARQ simScore

Jordan Matthews 6.26/ 212/ 33.25/ 4.44/ 1.55/ 4.18/ 6.95/ 21/ 35.5/ 10.00/ 119.4/ N/A

A.J. Green 6.29/ 21/1 34.38/ 4.48/ 1.55/ 4.21/ 6.91/ 18/ 34.5/ 10.50/ 120.6/ 86.7

Hakeem Nicks 6.05/ 212/ 33.50/ 4.51/ 1.52/ 4.02/ 6.93/ 21/ 36.0/ 10.00/ 123.4/ 85.6

It was weird to hear pre-draft criticism of Matthews based around a lack of NFL athleticism. He’s not Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, but his numbers are comfortably above-average and draw comparisons to two very successful receivers. Again, the simScore comps don’t mean that he’ll end up being as good as Hakeem Nicks or A.J. Green, but they do show that it probably isn’t a lack of athleticism that would hold him back from being a success in Philadelphia.

This particular player profile just tends to be successful. In addition to Nicks and Green, other high Matthews simScores include Larry Fitzgerald (83.5) and Alshon Jeffery (81.7).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is another comparison version reiterating that Mathews is indeed as athletic as needed for success.

I'd like to pick him up but i'm generally adverse to rookies. i'd have to drop Hopkins who I'm high on or else give up some depth at RB which admittedly isn't great since neither K.Davis or Dunbar have much value unless the starter goes down. I think I'll just keep a watch on the situation. most likely if he breaks out week one someone will unload their waiver points...probably the maclin or cooper owners.

Kyle Orton might be throwing to Watkins, so there is an upgrade.

I hate that Watkins is in the situation that he is. I love the kid. I in no way am trying to belittle Watkins. My comparison of Mathews and Watkins was merely to emphasize the skill set I think Mathews is also at...which is at very high level. Unfortunately, the comparisons end after that, because if Kyle Orton is any type of an upgrade to your existing QB situation...well that just sucks for everyone involved.

you sound like Sammy's boytoy. :D

Again, the simScore comps dont mean that hell end up being as good as Hakeem Nicks or A.J. Green, but they do show that it probably isnt a lack of athleticism that would hold him back from being a success in Philadelphia.

I don't think it's a secret that JM's issue is how he deals with defender contact. He lets DB's push him out of crisp pass routes. He could be top notch in the future as he works on this, although he may not be a good fantasy WR this year.