Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone been to Daytona?

Heading there in 2 1/2 weeks for a little vaca before my fall semester starts. Looking for some good places to eat or suggestions for things to do besides the beach. Anyone have any insight?

The last time I was there, there was just enough white trash rednecks, black thugs, and MS13 wannabees to make it unpleasant. Ill pass.

Turn right, drive 5 hours until you get to Miami.

Im making my way down there. I think thats the next stop Ill do before finally going to Key West.

The last time I was there, there was just enough white trash rednecks, black thugs, and MS13 wannabees to make it unpleasant. Ill pass.

Daytona has always been a small trashy town. It's gotten much worse over the years. I live in Florida and I wouldn't vacation there no matter how cheap. Dirty beaches and dirty people.

Don't let these guys turn you off. The boardwalk is fun. And you also definitely want to make time to go to the Richard Petty experience. You can actually drive a race car on an actual two and a half mile track.

There's also Jackie Robinson ball field. You really want to see that while you're there.

Also, given it sort of raunchy nature, some pretty great live bands play there.

If you're wondering, back in the day, power lines didn't make it that far. And power companies didn't want to spend the extra money for such a small location. Therefore, there was no external lighting or even some of the most basic of power after nightfall when power distribution was cycled down throughout the region.

As a result, the place got a reputation for being a 'day town.'

Hence, Day Town Beach.

I dunno. Ive come to realize a lot of guys here act like snobs. * oh my god its trashy I would NEVER go*. I go and its not trashy at all (Jacksonville was actually pretty dam nice or at least the places I went to). I dont think some of the guys here realize some places do cleanup and better the place. Wouldnt be surprised when Im going to key west the guys here go *oh my god its SO touristy and filled with rednecks wanting to go to margaritaville I would NEVER go*.

The big problem with Key West is when the cruise ships come in. The people overrun Duvall (main drag) street. You're better off staying away when they come in, find some places a few blocks off.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34172-Activities-Daytona_Beach_Florida.html

I am sure Daytona beach is alright, just so many better places to go. I am sure you have your reason, for some reason my parents like booking a family reunion every few years in Myrtle Beach. There are much better beaches than Myrtle Beach as well, but it is more a family tradition than anything else.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34172-Activities-Daytona_Beach_Florida.html

I am sure Daytona beach is alright, just so many better places to go. I am sure you have your reason, for some reason my parents like booking a family reunion every few years in Myrtle Beach. There are much better beaches than Myrtle Beach as well, but it is more a family tradition than anything else.

My reason? Ive never been. Ive been to a lot of the beaches in Florida. Not Daytona. So I want to go. Ill hit Miami and key west as well later on. Ive been all over florida but have never went to jacksonville, Miami, Daytona, or key west so Im wanting to visit them. Ill prob do key west or Napa Valley when I graduate cause Ill want to stay a little longer.

I dunno. Ive come to realize a lot of guys here act like snobs. * oh my god its trashy I would NEVER go*. I go and its not trashy at all (Jacksonville was actually pretty dam nice or at least the places I went to). I dont think some of the guys here realize some places do cleanup and better the place. Wouldnt be surprised when Im going to key west the guys here go *oh my god its SO touristy and filled with rednecks wanting to go to margaritaville I would NEVER go*.

Where I n Jax did you go