Sign in to follow this  
BudBro

Federal Judge upholds traditional marriage

Because no right to same gender marriage emanates from the Constitution, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico should not be compelled to recognize such unions. Instead, Puerto Rico, acting through its legislature, remains free to shape its own marriage policy. In a system of limited constitutional self-government such as ours, this is the prudent outcome. The people and their elected representatives should debate the wisdom of redefining marriage. Judges should not.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Puerto-Rico-marriage-DCt-ruling-10-21-14.pdf

Is there a right to opposite gender marriage in the Constitution? :dunno:

Is there a right to opposite gender marriage in the Constitution? :dunno:

i couldn't post the entire pdf.

Look everybody - it's a dinosaur! :shocking:

actually, i kinda hoped you would read it and add some insights. most all the states have voted in favor of traditional marriage, and have passed amendments and referendums. yet, judges have legislated against the wishes of the voters. anyway, i will await your over-ruling opinion of the federal judge.

actually, i kinda hoped you would read it and add some insights. most all the states have voted in favor of traditional marriage, and have passed amendments and referendums. yet, judges have legislated against the wishes of the voters. anyway, i will await your over-ruling opinion of the federal judge.

Our system is correctly set up to protect minority groups, otherwise women and blacks would never have been equals.

I get what you are saying, but this ship has sailed. I would love to see us respect the sanctity of marriage but we have sucked at doing that from a hetero perspective so there isn't a strong leg to stand on if you want to oppose ghey marriage.

While around 30 or so have passed amendments "banning" gay marriages...several have been ruled unconstitutional...with others being challenged in federal court.

Not sure yet what this decision will mean for those (maybe not much as there may be parts of the other state's amendments that actually make it unconstitutional vs. what happened in PR)

In the end...I don't care if people want to call it a civil union or a marriage or whatever. it won't affect my relationship with my wife or lessen my marriage any more than the current divorce rate.

Its stupid and wrong to not let people marry...straight or gay...just stupid to continue to oppose such things as a legal ruling.

Oppose it from your own moral standpoint...from your religious standpoint...great. Don't want one, don't get one. But legally opposing it when there is zero legal reason to do so is just ridiculous.

Our system is correctly set up to protect minority groups, otherwise women and blacks would never have been equals.

this is apples to oranges...women and blacks are born as women or black, or even black women. 100% of the time, a gay marriage will produce no offspring, resulting in the gene dying out (for the scientists who think darwin wasn't insane). it ain't genetic, like being a woman or black.

While around 30 or so have passed amendments "banning" gay marriages...several have been ruled unconstitutional...with others being challenged in federal court.

Not sure yet what this decision will mean for those (maybe not much as there may be parts of the other state's amendments that actually make it unconstitutional vs. what happened in PR)

In the end...I don't care if people want to call it a civil union or a marriage or whatever. it won't affect my relationship with my wife or lessen my marriage any more than the current divorce rate.

Its stupid and wrong to not let people marry...straight or gay...just stupid to continue to oppose such things as a legal ruling.

Oppose it from your own moral standpoint...from your religious standpoint...great. Don't want one, don't get one. But legally opposing it when there is zero legal reason to do so is just ridiculous.

i agree with much of what you say, that we already disregard and have complete disdain for the covenant of marriage. how do we regain that respect for the covenant if we continue to disparage it? also, you didn't bother to read the ruling either, because there is "legal reason" to oppose it. he lays out the legal reasons (there are a lot of them).

this is apples to oranges...women and blacks are born as women or black, or even black women. 100% of the time, a gay marriage will produce no offspring, resulting in the gene dying out (for the scientists who think darwin wasn't insane). it ain't genetic, like being a woman or black.

i agree with much of what you say, that we already disregard and have complete disdain for the covenant of marriage. how do we regain that respect for the covenant if we continue to disparage it? also, you didn't bother to read the ruling either, because there is "legal reason" to oppose it. he lays out the legal reasons (there are a lot of them).

I read some of it (sorry, not going to read the entire thing right now).

What legal reasons did it lay out to oppose gay marriage.

Not to oppose their amendments...but to legally oppose the actual act of gay marriage. Because I don't really care about the law of Puerto Rico and what legal reasons there were to uphold their amendment as a legal thing.

it ain't genetic, like being a woman or black.

You are stupid. The quicker dipshitss like you die the better the world will be. HTH

You are stupid. The quicker dipshitss like you die the better the world will be. HTH

No he isn't stupid. That and the rest of this post shows a severe lack of intellect. There is empirical evidence to show that a lot of homosexual behavior is physiological, but no evidence that it is genetic. You've got a strong position to defend but you sound like an ignorant hick. Calling opponents stupid is a great way to get them to dig in their heels; congrats on that, you accomplish nothing. :(

• Like 1

Just commenting on the statement that the Constitution doesn't promote or guaranteed same sex marriage ... but I don't think it guarantees marriage of any kind so this rationale is pretty weak.

I also don't see how this ruling upholds traditional marriage. My marriage isn't under assault or degraded by other marriages I don't approve of.

The arguments against gay marriage are so flimsy. Really why does anybody care what 2 consenting adults do in tier own homes? I will never get this.

No he isn't stupid. That and the rest of this post shows a severe lack of intellect. There is empirical evidence to show that a lot of homosexual behavior is physiological, but no evidence that it is genetic. You've got a strong position to defend but you sound like an ignorant hick. Calling opponents stupid is a great way to get them to dig in their heels; congrats on that, you accomplish nothing. :(

stupid people like that have their heels already dug in. calling them for what they are is important because maybe they do not know they are stupid.Maybe being called stupid will shake them free of their stupid bonds that tie them to stupidity.

Is there anything that makes you think that the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals wont throw this ruling out?

Every State on that list already has legalized same-sex marriage.

"Ultimately the very survival of the political order depends upon the procreative potential embodied in traditional marriage," he said. "Those are the well-tested, well-proven principles on which we have relied for centuries."

Things like this shouldn't be coming out of a Judge's mouth. This man is a coward hiding behind fake "precedent". He's skirting the boundaries of his own personal discrimination. The Supreme Court already stated that Summary Affirmances are not binding when severely undermined by later "doctrinal developments". This guy somehow concluded that they are.

How fantastic would it be if the 1st Circuit caused a Circuit Split, the Supreme Court had to address the issue, and this judge is ultimately the one responsible for marriage equality. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Is there anything that makes you think that the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals wont throw this ruling out?

Every State on that list already has legalized same-sex marriage.

"Ultimately the very survival of the political order depends upon the procreative potential embodied in traditional marriage," he said. "Those are the well-tested, well-proven principles on which we have relied for centuries."

Things like this shouldn't be coming out of a Judge's mouth.

religious zelots on the bench.

religious zelots on the bench.

:cheers:

Kilroy, you've always been one of the most agreeable posters on this here foreaem.

Fock it, I agree. It's a gawd damned hawkmoth.

Kilroy, you've always been one of the most agreeable posters on this here foreaem.

Fock it, I agree. It's a gawd damned hawkmoth.

thats all i really wanted man was for someone to believe me. lol

stupid people like that have their heels already dug in. calling them for what they are is important because maybe they do not know they are stupid.Maybe being called stupid will shake them free of their stupid bonds that tie them to stupidity.

Many of the religious zealots who oppose gay marriage suck d!ck behind the scenes.

do you guys receive disability payments? just remember, the abuse you received in your childhoods was not your fault. the adults were supposed to protect you.

do you guys receive disability payments? just remember, the abuse you received in your childhoods was not your fault. the adults were supposed to protect you.

...and the lead paint chips you ate as a child were just a sign of the times. sorry your family was too low income to repaint your shack with something less destructive to your brain.

just remember, the abuse you received in your childhoods was not your fault. the adults were supposed to protect you.

How terribly ironic is this statement in a world with Catholic Priests and Youth Pastors running amuck.

There is empirical evidence to show that a lot of homosexual behavior is physiological, but no evidence that it is genetic.

It's a combination of nature and nurture. New studies are proving the existence of gene influenced homosexuality.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/14/genes-influence-male-sexual-orientation-study

Is it clear that it is a genetic condition? Not proven. Do genetics play a part in it, yes according to recent studies.

Ever wonder why when asked when ghey men knew, almost everyone of them responds saying they were born that way?

Ever wonder why when asked when ghey men knew, almost everyone of them responds saying they were born that way?

Nope - because it doesn't matter. We need to remove this flawed way of thinking from this debate (a generalization - not targeting you).

Even people that fight for Gay Rights screw this up all the time. Until recently, I did as well. It shouldn't doesn't matter, at all, if it is a choice or genetic.

"They can't help it" seems to imply that being gay is a disability or that something is wrong with them. Seinfeld taught us better than this.

Being gay is genetic. Anyone arguing that point is a moron. There are two homosexuals that I graduated with. Everyone knew they were gay by the time we were in second grade. The one had a brother who was a chick magnet and placed third in the state in wrestling when he got to high school. So it wasn't his upbringing.

Being gay is genetic. Anyone arguing that point is a moron. There are two homosexuals that I graduated with. Everyone knew they were gay by the time we were in second grade. The one had a brother who was a chick magnet and placed third in the state in wrestling when he got to high school. So it wasn't his upbringing.

Sounds like he caught the Ghey too, no? :dunno:

• Like 1

Nope - because it doesn't matter. We need to remove this flawed way of thinking from this debate (a generalization - not targeting you).

Even people that fight for Gay Rights screw this up all the time. Until recently, I did as well. It shouldn't doesn't matter, at all, if it is a choice or genetic.

"They can't help it" seems to imply that being gay is a disability or that something is wrong with them. Seinfeld taught us better than this.

I agree. I was trying to point out to Skids that he was wrong in his declaration that there is no proof a genetic role. It doesn't matter to me if every ghey man was born that way or if he got sucked into it.

I agree. I was trying to point out to Skids that he was wrong in his declaration that there is no proof a genetic role. It doesn't matter to me if every ghey man was born that way or if he got sucked into it.

:cry:

Sounds like he caught the Ghey too, no? :dunno:

You definitely would never question that dude's manliness. Still a bad ass mofo today.

From your article:

The gene or genes in the Xq28 region that influence sexual orientation have a limited and variable impact. Not all of the gay men in Bailey's study inherited the same Xq28 region. The genes were neither sufficient, nor necessary, to make any of the men gay.

The flawed thinking behind a genetic test for sexual orientation is clear from studies of twins, which show that the identical twin of a gay man, who carries an exact replica of his brother's DNA, is more likely to be straight than gay. That means even a perfect genetic test that picked up every gene linked to sexual orientation would still be less effective than flipping a coin.

While genes do contribute to sexual orientation, other multiple factors play a greater role, perhaps including the levels of hormones a baby is exposed to in the womb. "Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice," said Bailey. "We found evidence for two sets [of genes] that affect whether a man is gay or straight. But it is not completely determinative; there are certainly other environmental factors involved."

My point was to differentiate "genetic" from "physiological," the latter of which includes genes but also things like hormones, maternal health and nutrition, etc. The important distinction being that if the impact of these other physiological factors can be identified, then perhaps steps can be taken to monitor and control them during pregnancy. Of course, Saint Elistan will tell me that that is stupid because we should all want our children to be ghey.

There still is no "ghey" gene; your article pointed out a few genes which tend to correlate to homosexuality. That all being said, my initial post was inaccurate in that it implied there was no genetic component -- I have never believed that and did not mean to represent it as such.

I have no problem with gay marriage, but if they can't you won't see me protesting on their behalf. Florida voted to ban it a few years back. I voted no - not because I care about gay marriage, but because I vote no on all Consitutional Amendments; that's not how laws should be made. That's what legislators are for.

In any case, it's already been struck down by a judge and they're probably going to eventually repeal it. I think it's ironic that homophobic minorities are the one's who really got the Amendment passed to begin with. "Equality!!! Oh wait, gay rights? To hell with those queers."