Sign in to follow this  
Grizzler56

How is this not points for KC defense?

After giving up their safety KC recovered the ensuing free kick. Conventional wisdom says that is a turnover and should be credited to the D/ST. But it wasn't. It's not in the box as a turnover so it wasn't counted. How can this be correct? Our 25th year and it's the first we;ve ever caught. No telling if it happened and we never saw it. Somebody PLEASE explain this to me but because it sure looks like a turnover Here;s the link to the video

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017101509/2017/REG6/Steelers@Chiefs?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017101509#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000861585&tab=videos

I guess it's just me. The whole world's gone apie. I understand it can't be advanced but it's gotta be a turnover. I had the Ravens but everybody with KCs D got screwed.

It's an onside kick. Pittsburgh never had the ball, so there's no change of possession.

After giving up their safety KC recovered the ensuing free kick. Conventional wisdom says that is a turnover and should be credited to the D/ST. But it wasn't. It's not in the box as a turnover so it wasn't counted. How can this be correct? Our 25th year and it's the first we;ve ever caught. No telling if it happened and we never saw it. Somebody PLEASE explain this to me but because it sure looks like a turnover Here;s the link to the video

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017101509/2017/REG6/Steelers@Chiefs?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017101509#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000861585&tab=videos

It's an onside kick. Pittsburgh never had the ball, so there's no change of possession.

Just watching the video. I thought, like you, its similar to recovering an onside kick. Although, with a free kick, I'm not sure if the receiving team has to touch the ball. If it was touched, it might be classified as a muff.

Either way there is no change of possession as you said,

This is how I heard it explained on the broadcast. I could have used the two points in one of my leagues, so I feel the OP's pain.

the kicking team relinquishes possession when they kick the ball. Pittsburgh was to receive the ball and didn't secure possession. Therefore they turned it over. Is an onsides kick recovery a turnover? I just can't see any other way but as said before I had the Ravens Sunday. But honestly I just dont get it.

the kicking team relinquishes possession when they kick the ball. Pittsburgh was to receive the ball and didn't secure possession. Therefore they turned it over. Is an onsides kick recovery a turnover? I just can't see any other way but as said before I had the Ravens Sunday. But honestly I just dont get it.

I don't think that's right. A fumble is a possessed ball that is lost. Pittsburgh did not possess the ball. I have never seen an onsides kick recorded as a fumble.

No.

the team relinquishes possession when the other team catches the kick. If the kick is fumbled (or they botch the catch) and it is recovered by KC, then it is not a turnover because the receiving team never actually had possession.

It's really amazing these pros who have been playing the game since they were children don't know the rules.

the kicking team relinquishes possession when they kick the ball. .

Technically, the kicking team (offense) has possession of the ball until the other team recovers or the ball goes out of bounds (Rule 3, Section 2, Article 4). The receiving team does not have to touch the ball in order for the kicking team to gain possession. That is not the case for a scrimmage kick which has special provisions for touching by the kicking team beyond the line of scrimmage (Rule 9, Section 3).

It's really amazing these pros who have been playing the game since they were children don't know the rules.

No, it's really not. I can't tell you how many times I've heard announcers declare "Double reverse!" when it is, in fact, a single reverse. A lot of these guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Does your league score points for recovered onside kicks? If not then you have your answer as to why KC wasn't awarded any points.